Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Here’s how Americans rank the 50 states

Cooked Crack

4 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Haven’t all the FL locations been destroyed by hurricanes?

And Oakland? All the expenses of northern CA with none of the positivity.

Ft. Myers was hit pretty hard last year, but I was down there this past spring, and while there is still a lot of visible damage, there's a lot still open and other stuff rebuilding.  People will still go there.  Sarasota didn't really get hit by a hurricane anytime in recent history.  Port St. Lucie may have been hit by a few hurricanes, but apparently people there don't care and keep rebuilding.

9 minutes ago, China said:

Ft. Myers was hit pretty hard last year, but I was down there this past spring, and while there is still a lot of visible damage, there's a lot still open and other stuff rebuilding.  People will still go there.  Sarasota didn't really get hit by a hurricane anytime in recent history.  Port St. Lucie may have been hit by a few hurricanes, but apparently people there don't care and keep rebuilding.

“Pretty hard”? 97% of buildings on Fort Myers suffered serious damage or were destroyed.

‘Best places to live’ … might as well be ‘best places to rebuild your home every few years’. If you can get insurance.

Edited by Corcaigh

12 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

“Pretty hard”? 97% of buildings on Fort Myers suffered serious damage or were destroyed.

‘Best places to live’ … might as well be ‘best places to rebuild your home every few years’. If you can get insurance.

I'm not sure where you got that 97% statistic, but that's just not true.  I have a friend who lives in Bonita Springs where the worst damage was.  I visited him there, and that's just bunk.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, China said:

I'm not sure where you got that 97% statistic, but that's just not true.  I have a friend who lives in Bonita Springs where the worst damage was.  I visited him there, and that's just bunk.

Florida Director of Emergency Management. 

https://www.foxweather.com/extreme-weather/fort-myers-florida-ian-recovery-hurricane-season.amp

1 minute ago, Corcaigh said:

Well there's a difference in what you said and what that article said.  You said "seriously damaged or destroyed" versus the article that said "damaged or destroyed." 

Lots of things can be considered damaged without being "seriously damaged."  If a house loses a single roof tile, it's been damaged, but not seriously so.  Again, my first person experience and that of my friend who actually lives there (who by the way didn't suffer any damage), tells me that while it's bad, it's not that 97% has been rendered unusable.  That's highly misleading.  That being said, when I was down there there were areas where buildings were abandoned and couldn't be fixed, and many boats still in (under) the water.  There was definitely lots of damage, but not 97% wiped of the map type damage.  Even Sanibel Island where the bridge was wiped out and they had huge storm surge has people and structures that made it through the storm intact.

On 7/15/2023 at 10:21 PM, China said:

America’s best places to live in 2023

1. Round Rock, TX

2. Sarasota, FL

3. Tacoma, WA

4. Bridgeport, CT

5. Raleigh, NC

6. Arlington, TX

7. Fort Myers, FL

8. Oakland, CA

9. Alexandria, VA

10. Port St. Lucie, FL

Click on the link for the details

I’d probably only consider three of those places in a hypothetical where there were no family considerations. 

17 minutes ago, China said:

Well there's a difference in what you said and what that article said. 

OK only 97% of buildings damaged or destroyed. It still sounds like a terrible place to live with that level of threat hanging over you. And more than 8 months later they are still cleaning up, and preparing for the next one. It doesn’t take 8 months to replace a missing shingle or two.

And it’s ****ing Florida. :ols:

The 20 happiest states in the US, ranked

A person's level of happiness can be affected by a number of factors, such as genetics, nutrition, and levels of physical activity. But it may also help to live in one of the happiest states in the US.

The personal-finance website WalletHub released a new report ranking the happiest states in the US according to 30 metrics across three categories: emotional and physical well-being, work environment, and community and environment. By examining factors such as life expectancy, unemployment rates, mental health, and safety, WalletHub scored each state to determine its level of happiness.

Here are the top 20 happiest states in the US, ranked by WalletHub.

20. South Carolina

19. Wisconsin
18. South Dakota
17. Illinois
16. New York
15. New Hampshire
14. Virginia
13. North Dakota
12. Massachusetts
11. Delaware
10. Nebraska
9. Idaho
8. Florida
7. California
6. Connecticut
5. New Jersey
4. Minnesota
3. Maryland
2. Hawaii
1. Utah

• 1 month later...

America Keeps Getting Fatter — These Are the Heaviest States of All

West Virginia (41%), Louisiana (40.1%) and Oklahoma (40%) are the states with the fattest populations in the nation, laying claim to the highest proportion of adults with a body mass index (BMI) of 40% or greater, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

“The latest data from CDC is looking grim,” says Jamie Bussel of Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, a health-based philanthropic organization. “Twenty-two states had an adult obesity rate at or above 35%. And that was up from 19 states the year before. And when we look back a decade ago, no states had an adult obesity rate at or above 35%. So yes, clearly, when you look at the numbers, they’re not going in the right direction.”

In addition to West Virginia, Louisiana and Oklahoma, the 22 states with an obesity rate of 35% or higher are Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Wisconsin.

01000000-0aff-0242-1402-08dbce4cec88_w65

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 7:27 PM, China said:

The 20 happiest states in the US, ranked

A person's level of happiness can be affected by a number of factors, such as genetics, nutrition, and levels of physical activity. But it may also help to live in one of the happiest states in the US.

The personal-finance website WalletHub released a new report ranking the happiest states in the US according to 30 metrics across three categories: emotional and physical well-being, work environment, and community and environment. By examining factors such as life expectancy, unemployment rates, mental health, and safety, WalletHub scored each state to determine its level of happiness.

Here are the top 20 happiest states in the US, ranked by WalletHub.

20. South Carolina

19. Wisconsin
18. South Dakota
17. Illinois
16. New York
15. New Hampshire
14. Virginia
13. North Dakota
12. Massachusetts
11. Delaware
10. Nebraska
9. Idaho
8. Florida
7. California
6. Connecticut
5. New Jersey
4. Minnesota
3. Maryland
2. Hawaii
1. Utah

Maryland?  FOH.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, tshile said:

Exactly what i thought. #3? 😂 that state sucks 

I don't live there, but the ranking is about being happiest.  People can be happy in places you may not like, but...as a boater, you'd think you'd appreciate some of what Maryland has to offer in that regard.

Edited by China
  • Thumb up 1

• 5 months later...

2024 Best Places to Live in America

1. Colonial Village    Neighborhood in Arlington, VA
  2. Carmel    Town in Indiana
  3. Chesterbrook    Suburb of Philadelphia, PA
  4. Uptown    Neighborhood in Tampa, FL
  5. Cinco Ranch    Suburb of Houston, TX
  6. Hyde Park – Spanishtown Creek    Neighborhood in Tampa, FL
  7. Evergreen Park    Neighborhood in Palo Alto, CA
  8. Radnor/Fort Myer Heights    Neighborhood in Arlington, VA
  9. Harbour Island    Neighborhood in Tampa, FL
  10. College Terrace    Neighborhood in Palo Alto, CA
  11. Brookline    Suburb of Boston, MA
  12. Ardmore    Suburb of Philadelphia, PA
  13. Johns Creek    Suburb of Atlanta, GA
  14. North Bethesda    Suburb in Maryland
  15. Okemos    Suburb of Lansing, MI
  16. Blue Ash    Suburb of Cincinnati, OH
  17. Brentwood    Suburb of St. Louis, MO
  18. Coppell    Suburb of Dallas, TX
  19. Chesterfield    Suburb of St. Louis, MO
  20. South Lake Union    Neighborhood in Seattle, WA

Click on the link for more details

9 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Lol, what a terrible list. 

All of these lists are stupid. There are dozens of other factors in your life (whether you're able to form some local friendships, having a job you're reasonably happy with, etc) that have way more impact on your quality of life than the exact town you live in.

Also, there's no material difference between the top n towns in the United States.

I've spent a decent amount of time in Carmel, IN. If that's the second best place to be in this country let's all just give up now. (Don't worry, it's not.)

• Thumb up 1

Yea, I lived in Arlington VA for several years.  The list has 2 neighborhoods in Arlington, including their #1.  I would rank them both in the bottom half of all Arlington neighborhoods, and maybe in the bottom half of all VA neighborhoods inside the beltway.

I've also unfortunately had to spend some time in Coppell TX, and let's just say it was very surprising to see it on this list.  It's basically a very spread out distribution hub for DFW airport with some commercial buildings and strip malls mixed in.  

On 10/17/2023 at 9:37 PM, China said:

I don't live there, but the ranking is about being happiest.  People can be happy in places you may not like, but...as a boater, you'd think you'd appreciate some of what Maryland has to offer in that regard.

I absolutely do love that aspect of it, I was sort of raised on it, and I especially love what the bay has to offer. It’s always struck me as crazy how Virginians seem to be totally clueless about how they have an amazing thing in the bay. The oysters crabs and rockfish are some of the best in the world. The bay is genuinely awesome and it seems Marylanders get it and Virginians don’t 🤷‍♂️ 

but outside of that, I’ve never spent time in Maryland and thought - how cool, I wish I lived here. I’ve done that with numerous other places though 🤷‍♂️ 

My list (completely ignoring the people who live there, and the cost of living)

1. Hawaii - Hands down. Surpasses all states when it comes to beauty and serenity. (changing my rule already - also has the most chill people)

2. Wyoming - Can confirm Wyoming does indeed exist, and the place is absolutely spectacular. Putting Wyoming here, but nearly all the western states are pretty close on my list.

3. Colorado - So the next few are tough, and are for the most part interchangeable, but I do think I'd pick Colorado as #3 more often than not. Magnificent.

4. Montana - Absolutely beautiful and one of my favorite memories. It's nighttime, middle of summer, but snow around - we're that high up. Looking down on mountaintops. Higher than the trees. Full moon shining brightly. *chefs kiss*

5. California - Again, ignoring the COL :)  California is amazing, with every landscape known to man.

6. Utah - Utah?? Yep. Very underrated beauty.

7. Arizona - If you like holes and cracks, you'll love Arizona - Meteor Crater and the Grand Canyon of course. The "dry heat" argument goes out the window when that hot, but it's still amazing.

8. Florida - Finally, east coast. Did I see someone say they were unimpressed with Florida beaches? I'd really like to know which ones you went to! Diversity of wildlife is a bonus. Being able to watch magnificent sunrises and sunsets the same day is awesome.

9. New Mexico - Back west. Diversity of landscapes is very good, also, best weather in the lower 48? Maybe!

10. Idaho - Almost went east coast again, but I'll wrap up the top 10 with another western beauty.

11. North Carolina - Has the best ends in the east. The west side of the state is just as cool as the east sieeed.

12. New York - Can't touch the western states, but still one of the best in the East

13. Arkansas - Haven't picked a state from the middle yet so...why not. Best of the mid-western states.

14. South Dakota - tired of writing so pretty much going to just list the rest

15. South Carolina

16. Wisconsin

17. Minnesota

18. Vermont

19. Texas

20. Maryland - home state that low?? yep...

21. Tennessee

22. Massachusetts

23. West VA

24. Missouri

25. Oklahoma

26. Pennsylvania

27. Virginia - sorry, hard to separate the people and their God-awful driving from the state...

28 - 40. All the other mid-western states. BORING. And (especially Illinois and Indiana) horrible smelling

States remaining - Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, New Hampshire, Maine, Alaska, Oregon, Washington (been there, but haven't truly explored), Conn, RI.

• Thumb up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ranking states with the best and worst roads:

Rank

State 

Avg. % of acceptable roads 

Idaho 

Georgia 

Tennessee 

North Dakota 

Nebraska 

Wyoming 

Kentucky 

Alabama 

Montana 

Oregon 

Kansas 

Florida 

Nevada 

North Carolina 

South Dakota 

Texas 

Minnesota 

Ohio 

Iowa 

South Carolina 

Arizona 

Michigan 

Indiana 

Arkansas 

Virginia 

Utah 

Delaware 

Illinois 

Vermont 

Alaska 

New Hampshire 

Colorado 

Maryland 

Missouri 

Maine 

Louisiana 

Wisconsin 

Oklahoma 

New York 

Pennsylvania 

Mississippi 

New Mexico 

West Virginia 

Washington 

Massachusetts 

California 

Hawaii 

Connecticut 

Rhode Island 

New Jersey 

**51.  Washington DC  23.7

That's pretty bad California. Basically no weather effecting the roads there, ridiculous taxes, but their roads are 3rd world. When I lived in downtown San Diego the roads everywhere seemed to have gotten so much worse since the 90s, I guess it's the whole state actually. In the 80s when I was going to school in SLO the roads didn't seem that bad.