Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Here’s how Americans rank the 50 states

Cooked Crack

2 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Has San Diego been overrun with the zombie homeless like SF? I've wanted to go eat my weight in fish tacos, but I've heard some horror stories from friends

i mean it has a decent homeless population in certain parts of downtown like most cities. from my own experience, it seems like you have a lot more mentally ill homeless there because its a lot of old vets. SF isnt really "zombie homeless". just a lot of people that cant afford housing. i never understood why SF is the go-to homeless reference when LA has significantly more homeless people.

• Like 1

As a Marylander myself, I will say, Maryland crabs are overrated as ****.  I would much rather have Alaskan king crag legs than MD crabs 10/10 times.  Picking them apart is not fun and it's not satisfying at all and they don't fill you up for ****.

Old Bay is good, but it's also overrated.  Not as much as crabs themselves though.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, clietas said:

city-slickers-city-slickers-everywhere.j

Yup...same people who when I say I'm from NY they have to put their 2 cents in on their opinion of NYC....

Then I show them a pic of the area that I'm from....I'm on the doorstep of one of the largest, best national parks in the world.

Kings and Presidents loved the area called it the Queen of American Lakes....and that's just the tourist trap of Upstate NY.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, purbeast said:

As a Marylander myself, I will say, Maryland crabs are overrated as ****.  I would much rather have Alaskan king crag legs than MD crabs 10/10 times. 

This why Marylanders are awful. 

here in Virginia we recognize the Chesapeake bay crab rightfully as the best crab

lynnhaven oysters too are also top tier

crab legs 😂 

7 hours ago, stoshuaj said:

To add to the Va/Md debate, until Va stops ripping sooks out of the mud in Dec. and harvesting sooks that are in the process of laying eggs in the summer just for some soup, you ****ers are cannibals.  

John boat with bull lip trotline Virginian native here

definitely need to respect the crab population. I remember when it got bad back in the 90’s

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tshile said:

This why Marylanders are awful. 

here in Virginia we recognize the Chesapeake bay crab rightfully as the best crab

lynnhaven oysters too are also top tier

crab legs 😂 

John boat with bull lip trotline Virginian native here

definitely need to respect the crab population. I remember when it got bad back in the 90’s

Sorry that you're such a simpleton Virginian who would rather play with your food than eat it. 

For hours on end.

Then have to eat a few burgers to actually be satisfied and full.

But hey, you're a lover!

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, mammajamma said:

i mean it has a decent homeless population in certain parts of downtown like most cities. from my own experience, it seems like you have a lot more mentally ill homeless there because its a lot of old vets. SF isnt really "zombie homeless". just a lot of people that cant afford housing. i never understood why SF is the go-to homeless reference when LA has significantly more homeless people.

I guess I never really experienced the homeless towns when I've been to LA, but I know what you're referring to....when I went to SF, in the Tenderloin area - my god. The amount of zombie homeless people walking around was unreal - there was a dude that stumbled into a Peet's coffee I stopped into and he could have been an extra on the Thriller set. I also saw plenty of the affluent beggars. I think states were shipping them to SF due to SF's policies on providing care. I've heard the same thing happens to Hawaii and Hawaii sends them back on a oneway ticket wherever they came from

Edited by Barry.Randolphe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I guess I never really experienced the homeless towns when I've been to LA, but I know what you're referring to....when I went to SF, in the Tenderloin area - my god. The amount of zombie homeless people walking around was unreal - there was a dude that stumbled into a Peet's coffee I stopped into and he could have been an extra on the Thriller set. I also saw plenty of the affluent beggars. I think states were shipping them to SF due to SF's policies on providing care. I've heard the same thing happens to Hawaii and Hawaii sends them back on a oneway ticket wherever they came from

i mean, skid row in LA is one of the highest concentrations of homeless people in the world. NYC has the highest amount of homeless people, but LA actually has the highest amount of unsheltered homeless (NYC does a good job with shelters, etc). i think LA just does more work than SF to keep the homeless concentrated in 1 area (skid row/downtown) and away from the rich/touristy sections like Hollywood

SF isn't even close to downtown LA. actually SF isnt even in the top 5 for the US:

1) NYC - 78k

2) LA - 56k

3) Seattle - 11k

4) San Jose - 9k

5) San Diego - 8k

6) San Francisco - 8k

• Like 1

Yeah downtown LA is pretty bad, no matter what section you are at.  You could be outside a fancy restaurant in the banking district and they could be stumbling around asking for change.  It's sad. 

Another reason there are so many homeless people in California, southern California in particular, is the weather.  When you live outside you don't want to deal with cold or rain, something Socal has very little of compared to the rest of the nation.

• Like 1

When it comes to the homelessness I am assuming a lot of them head out west due to the weather and the idea that there are more programs and funding to help them, but even the more generous cities are overrun too. It becomes real tiresome when I hear pundits on Fox or other media mocking CA or NY for their homeless problem when the fact is a large % of these folks are not native to the states they are residing on the streets in.   Maybe the states who ignore the problem so severely which causes the mass migration should start sending money to the states actually trying to help?

I also read a stat a handful of years back that once you hit 6 months of being homeless it becomes extremely hard to change your conditions because getting employment, a temporary place to stay....all the things you need money up front to do because impossible.  

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1

Hawaii also has the same problem 

in addition to the weather advantages the state provides universal healthcare. Although I’m not certain what the rules are for it and how homeless people may or may not be eligible. But I’ve been there and that was my first experience with homeless people just being everywhere 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Leaving home: West Virginia population drop is largest in US

After her company told employees in 2017 to start working remotely, customer service representative Haley Miller decided to break from her lifelong home of West Virginia.

The beaches of St. Petersburg, Florida, provide a far different view than the mountains of her native state. There are palm trees, a vivacious arts and restaurant scene — and fewer potholes.

“There are tons of things to do,” said Miller, now 29, who still works for the retail company. “It’s a very welcoming and inclusive town.”

She is not alone. According to newly released data from the U.S. Census Bureau, West Virginia lost a higher percentage of its residents than any other state in the nation. From 2010 to 2020, the population dropped 3.2%, or about 59,000 people. Because of that, West Virginia was one of only seven states to lose a congressional seat following the 2020 census.

Click on the link for the full article

Study ranks Virginia as ‘Grossest State in America’

Virginia was ranked the ‘Grossest State in America’, in a study released by career site Zippia.

The ranking was based on things like dirty air, trash and the spread of illnesses such as the flu. Some cultural factors were also included in the study based on Google Searches for Mayo recipes and Crocs.

The top five grossest states in the study were ranked:

1. Virginia
2. South Carolina
3. North Carolina
4. Pennsylvania
5. Texas

THE GROSSEST STATES

Click on the links for more

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

New Jersey Is America's Best State to Live in, New Survey Says

The shore. Bruce. Taylor ham, or pork roll as the case may be. What's not to like?

New Jersey now officially ranks as the best state in America to live in, according to WalletHub's annual list released Tuesday.

The Garden State just edged out Massachusetts for top honors, with New York coming in third. In 2019, New Jersey was fourth on the WalletHub list.

Click on the link for more

Virginia was ranked 12th and Maryland 23rd.

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...

These 10 states are America’s worst places to live in 2021

More than a year of quarantine has reminded all of us about the importance of home. And even as the pandemic subsides, some companies are rethinking their policies on remote work.

That helps explain why states are increasingly touting their quality of life in pitches to businesses. Plus, companies that are seeking workers in a time of shortages want to be in a state where workers will want to reside. This heightened competitiveness over quality of life puts some states at a disadvantage. By the numbers, they are just not great places to live.

The definition is changing, too. We now know how important public health systems and hospital capacity can be. Inclusive states value all their citizens and protect them from discrimination. And corporate America has spoken loudly, as well as quietly behind the scenes, against restrictive voting laws.

CNBC’s America’s Top States for Business study takes all of this into account, along with basic quality of life measures like crime rates and environmental quality, in our Life, Health and Inclusion category.

10. Indiana

9. Louisiana
8. Arkansas
7. Alabama
6. Georgia
5. Tennessee
3. (tie) Missouri

3. (tie) Nevada
2. Texas
1. Arizona

• Like 1

6 hours ago, China said:

These 10 states are America’s worst places to live in 2021

More than a year of quarantine has reminded all of us about the importance of home. And even as the pandemic subsides, some companies are rethinking their policies on remote work.

That helps explain why states are increasingly touting their quality of life in pitches to businesses. Plus, companies that are seeking workers in a time of shortages want to be in a state where workers will want to reside. This heightened competitiveness over quality of life puts some states at a disadvantage. By the numbers, they are just not great places to live.

The definition is changing, too. We now know how important public health systems and hospital capacity can be. Inclusive states value all their citizens and protect them from discrimination. And corporate America has spoken loudly, as well as quietly behind the scenes, against restrictive voting laws.

CNBC’s America’s Top States for Business study takes all of this into account, along with basic quality of life measures like crime rates and environmental quality, in our Life, Health and Inclusion category.

10. Indiana

9. Louisiana
8. Arkansas
7. Alabama
6. Georgia
5. Tennessee
3. (tie) Missouri

3. (tie) Nevada
2. Texas
1. Arizona

GA is ranked 6th worst yet in this study GA is ranked #1 to retire in - driven mostly by affordability and weather. Not saying I agree but it does matter what your scale is. BTW: Look at the #1 worst state to retire in is.  

https://www.bankrate.com/retirement/best-and-worst-states-for-retirement/

• Haha 1