Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

3 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Well, the Ravens took a punter in the 4th, which honestly shouldn't happen.  I'm of the mind that K/P doesn't need to be drafted before the 7th, if at all.  So they aren't perfect either.

Well when you have 6 picks in the 4th, you gotta spend 'em somewhere.

1 minute ago, evmiii said:

With all our needs, we are getting one guy that will be a starter on opening day.  This type of draft strategy should be reserved for teams coming off of good seasons that won 11 or 12 games last year.  The type of draft a very confident coach runs thinking of longer term rather than immediate impact.  I’m not sure that fits our scenario, but It seems to be an extremely low risk plan for a team that should probably be taking a few wild swings.  Don’t get me wrong, I like Dotson a lot and think he will be an immediate impact.  The Bama Boys we drafted will definitely see the field on a rotational basis and could work themselves into starting roles.  Don’t know much about our safety but it sounds like he has been on the radar for a minute.  All seem like work hard good character guys that will fit right into Ron’s new culture.  Maybe we pick up another player that can make the team as a third stringer special teams contributer.

Nothing to get real excited about, slow, safe, steady and boring.  It all will still hinge on how well our new QB#1 plays.  All these pieces might look real smart if Wentz comes out balling and the defense plays up to their potential.  If we truly were just a good QB away from being a pretty good football, maybe this was a very smart draft.  Time will tell.

This sums it up really well, but I slightly disagree with "safe" part.  There's a chance that outside of Dotson, that none of these guys are in the roster in 3-4 years and IMO, that's not really safe.  As you noted, these are rotational guys.  Maybe some of them play up and become solid starters but you nailed it, we're getting one guy that will be a week 1 starter.  

15 minutes ago, SpacePenguin said:

Gotta maneuver to draft that competition at long snapper.

I’m envisioning a scenario in which we trade down repeatedly until we have the last half of the 7th round all to ourselves…and then we trade down again for the whole 6th round next year. Do that long enough and we could trade our way down into having a whole first round to ourselves. It would be 2058 by that time and I’d be dead but man would we be awesome!!!

I kid but if we’re honest with ourselves, the cupboard was largely bare when RR and Co. arrived. The fact is, we needed several drafts of solid starters before we could really consider swinging for the fences. So far, they’ve played this mostly low ceiling/high floor draft pretty well such that the next couple of years we can think about going big. The one thing I really gig them on is taking Chase Young instead of a QB. Even if they had Chase rated higher, they could have traded down to take Tua or Herbert a few picks later or get a second first round pick the next year. 

Edited by The Sisko
  • Like 1

Feels like the positioning in the 5th round is for a QB, to take a Qb and another in theory impact player.  They have access to the same trade value chart that we do but sometimes just because you want to trade down doesn't mean the buyer arrives. Sometimes you have to give some to make it happen if you are determind to do it.

Assuming Howell is gone, wonder if they double up on Nevada in the 5th, Strong and Turner. 

Keim talked about in a podcast they like Strong as a 5th round value if he's there

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Feels like the positioning in the 5th round is for a QB, to take a Qb and another in theory impact player.  They have access to the same trade value chart that we do but sometimes just because you want to trade down doesn't mean the buyer surfices. Sometimes you have to give some to make it happen if you are determind to do it.

Assuming Howell is gone, wonder if they double up on Nevada in the 5th, Strong and Turner. 

Would you draft Justyn Ross ?

5 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Well, the Ravens took a punter in the 4th, which honestly shouldn't happen.  I'm of the mind that K/P doesn't need to be drafted before the 7th, if at all.  So they aren't perfect either.

They have an embarrassment of riches and there is something to be said for taking the guy you like before anyone else gets the chance to. It’s arguably what we are doing….but it has it’s obvious flaws unless you have 6 picks in one round lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

They have an embarrassment of riches and there is something to be said for taking the guy you like before anyone else gets the chance to. It’s arguably what we are doing….but it has it’s obvious flaws unless you have 6 picks in one round lol

And you can also make one or two head scratching later round picks if you killed it with your earlier round picks...which they did...because they have a competent scouting department.

31 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

So I think that means they try and go OLine and Carson Strong in the 5th.

On paper, this draft looks terrible so far, so we find out if they just are better evaluators.  This season makes or breaks Ron, either they make the playoffs and look much improved, or the years of failure combined with a very bad draft mean hes gone.

To be fair this is part of the reason I didn’t want players overly system specific because I expect them all to be s canned by ‘23 or ‘24 at tge latest anyway. Only NFC teams I’m confident we’re better than are the giants, lions, falcons, and Seahawks. Playoffs? I don’t see it at all and most of the crapper teams also had good drafts unlike us. We do need things to go wrong to avoid losing our ‘23 2nd though.

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

And you can also make one or two head scratching later round picks if you killed it with your earlier round picks...which they did...because they have a competent scouting department.

I don’t need your negativity in my life lol 

Everything is fine. We are doing great. And my wife loves me because I’m fat not in spite of it. 

(you ain’t wrong though. They can afford to miss and still get an A++ as far as the draft cats are concerned and let’s be honest I certainly don’t know this better than they do) 

9 minutes ago, Forehead said:

He's apparently extremely skilled at getting lots of hang time and getting it it out of bounds just shy of the goal line. Sam Koch hasn't been as good as years past. Stout wasn't going to be available in 6 or 7. And they already drafted 4 guys who could've all been 1sts. Can't knock the pick. 

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That tweet summarized my position better than my 5,938 word essay.  

Yep this whole thing about the draft community have it all down, the same folks that get plenty massively wrong every draft season, is nuts.  

McGinn's draft rankings, which tend to do the best job matching the top 100 pre draft to the actual draft -- done by actual scouts who work for teams -- have Butler ranked much higher than the mock draft community does.  So name that mock drafter is just so much smarter than those who do it for a living?

Everyone is fallable.  No one is perfect including NFL personnel people.  But in short, Butler doesn't seem a left field pick according to McGinn's scouts who rated players.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Feels like the positioning in the 5th round is for a QB, to take a Qb and another in theory impact player.  They have access to the same trade value chart that we do but sometimes just because you want to trade down doesn't mean the buyer arrives. Sometimes you have to give some to make it happen if you are determind to do it.

Keim talked about in a podcast they like Strong as a 5th round value if he's there

I think Howell will be there and will be our puck. Steal of the draft. 

• Like 2