Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I got to watch Mathis but I am liking what i am reading about him.  Alabama DTs have been mostly really good in the NFL, even supposed pure run-stuffers like Jarren Reed have played well and showed some pass rush in the league.  For a run stuffer type to have 9 sacks is pretty darn good.  Sounds like a boisterous leader type -- good dude.

Dotson is the same way.  Speaking of which for those who have ESPN 2, they are running the Hey Rookie episodes right now, if you want to watch a bit about Dotson's journey.

People are way too low on Mathis as a player here. He’s just solid. He has a ridiculous punch.

But the best 1-tech went 30 picks later. So… he is absolutely a reach. But as a player? We did alright. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In my rankings I added draft value to my takes and had him as a late third -- exactly more or less where they took him.  The value IMO is fine.  

People are going to love this guy eventually.  He's a thumper but with sneaky good speed and underrated hands.

He can run both zone and power.  He had 22 runs of 15 plus yards. So he's not just a short yardage grinder.

If you want to play some ball control and grind down the opponent in the 4 quarter -- how about dealing with a 6 '1, 225 RB with 4.53 speed.

He's a thumper, no doubt.  Not super speed but enough and he's a 3 down back that hasn't been used much.  He is an excellent pass protector.  Need all the pass blocking we can get and he's one of the better ones we've had in a while.  I posted, "RB Not impressed."  I was looking for us to take Chenal because we needed an ILB, thus the commented post.  KDawg summed the 2 days of the draft up well in his post back a bit.  We now have our own Deebo in Gibson and I HOPE that RR and Co. use him in that capacity now that we drafted Robinson.  We may end up drafting another RB who knows.  Who knows, the over drafted DT from Bama, Mathis may turns some head.  He was team captain and am starting to find some good stuff on him.  I'd give our draft thus far a "B"

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I totally disagree with you.

What move makes us great?

The only questionable move I’ve seen is PhiPhi.  And that’s because we created our own nightmare. 

Brian Robinson is going to raise our offensive floor all by himself. 

Gibson now becomes Deebo.

Terry and Dotson can threaten deep and opposing defenses are going to get hit by a literal battering ram for four quarters. 

Our offense improved dramatically in the last two days.

Great post, @KDawg Bravo!  👍

• Like 1

Guys, Deebo Samuel is a 1of1 runner and a great receiver in this league. His balance is ridiculous. Stop comparing guys to him. Gibson isn’t in his galaxy as a pure runner and definitely not as a receiver. IIRC, he barely ran a route tree at Memphis which is why he’s rarely lined up at the pros 

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, dswerdlw said:

Damone Clark's injury situation isn't clear to me. Will he be able to play next season?

Nope. Spinal fusion surgery for a hernia. 

Worth it to stash. 4 rounds tomorrow

Just now, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Guys, Deebo Samuel is a 1of1 runner in this league. His balance is ridiculous. Stop comparing guys to him. Gibson isn’t in his galaxy as a pure runner. 

Bro, no one thinks he’s actually Deebo. That style. You know that. 

Some of y’all forget how much of a load Gibson was at the end of games. Cats didn’t want that drama. I feel like Robinson is the same kinda cat but with a nastier disposition. We really are going to be able to run it or pass it and both will have the capability to be pretty good options. Fun part will be Gibson being able to play the role they always say they wanted him to play now with someone as big as him running it late game. Who do you stop with both on the field? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am REALLY excited about the potential of our Offense this season. LOTS of weapons and with the addition of Robinson, we can now wear defenses down and then throw the speed of Gibson at them. Play action should really open up as well. Defensively??  Got to think that Ron has a couple big time Free Agents he's going to sign once the draft is over. 

• Like 2

Not a flashy draft, but is sounds like all of these guys are really high quality, no nonsense players. I'm thinking of this as more of a glue draft so far. They tied together their WRs, tied together the D-Line, and tied-together the RB room. Loved this piece on Mathis.

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/bamanfl/2022-nfl-draft-profile-alabama-crimson-tide-defensive-lineman-phidarian-mathis#gid=ci029f5e90b00025d4&pid=nfl-combinepro-day

• Like 3

It really depends on medicals, and I didn’t think I’d want to hit WR twice in this draft, but at a certain point Justyn Ross becomes enticing as a guy to develop and surpass Cam Sims (and others if he hit his potential). Especially for that outside height factor we never were able to address. He seemed like he was going to be the next Tee Higgins before his neck thing. Might see him fall out of the draft completely because of his neck but only the teams know how his medicals checked out. 

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

lol. 

Yeah Pierce, Robinson, Allegier were my favorite bruiser RBs in this draft.  And I liked them in that order but Pierce just a hair over Robinson.

Robinson is a tone setter.  He's underrated as a pass catcher too.  300 yards as a receiver.  14 TDs.  We aren't going to be stuffed that easy anymore on third and 1.  

The dude is 225 pounds yet runs 4.53.  He had the most missed tackles forced in this group aside from Walker. 

He IMO will be a fan favorite in time.

Antonio who??? Never heard of him.

3 minutes ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

... as opposed to the tiny Antonio Gibson at 6'2" and 220 with 4.4 speed? Robinson hits hard, but he isn't really a big back.

I never said Gibson is a small back.   He's a big dude.   This to me isn't about replacing Gibson but complementing him.

For a dude who isn't a big back, among the top 30 prospects talked about in this group, Robinson is just an inch short of being the tallest.  And he weighs the most among this RB group.   Not sure how much weight do you think "big backs" should have?  Typically 225 is plenty to qualify.    Derrick Henry is in his own orbit size wise, he's a unicorn on that front. 

Gibson is a big back, but he's more of an outside zone runner.  I was one of his biggest fans before that draft and still like Gibson.

Robinson IMO can run between the tackles better than Gibson.  And hence he's a nice complement.  And yes IMHO, a 6 '1, 225 RB is a big RB. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 11.44.38 PM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Damn. Leo Chenal to the Chiefs.

Kdawgs boy, Danny gray to the niners.

I was pretty early on Danny Gray, he ended up on my guys list.  But with Dotson taken he was off my radar after that.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I was pretty early on Danny Gray, he ended up on my guys list.  But with Dotson taken he was off my radar after that.

Yeah Danny Gray was definitely @Skinsinparadise’s guy. I liked him but not like SIP.

We had some people cross us up. He was bigger on Gray, I was bigger on Robinson, but we both liked both.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Smoke Monday

Hold up. 

You telling me there's a player named Smoke Monday? That sounds like one of the names Clinton Portis used to call himself. And we didn't trade up to #1 overall to take that gangster? 

F.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6