Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

John Harris is an analyst for Texans radio, he's a weekly guest on Locked on NFL Draft podcast. On today's episode he claimed that a friend of his who is a scout for the Commanders said that they love Willis and know if they select him it would bring excitement to the fan base. They know they need a player that will do that at QB.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for Pickett, based on what's being said by most at the Senior bowl, he's having a good Senior Bowl not a great one.  The day he struggled was the bad weather day.  i love the dude's personality -- he comes off really relaxed and charismatic.  His personality is a selling point which I've heard multiple people say including those covering the Senior Bowl.  I think he's the best in this class in terms of throwing on the move -- boots, etc.  He's not my top QB in this mix but I am cool with it if they like him.

He's not mine either, Willis has been since I started watching this class.  But he's my #2 choice, and at 11, I think we should be getting to choose between at least one of Willis or Pickett.  I can envision two alternate paths to success with them + the pick at 42.

Scenario 1 = Willis in the first and WR or RB in the second.  Keep Scherff and go out and get Maxx Williams.  Sign Fournette if the pick at 42 wasn't a RB.  We change the offense to a power run game with lots of options and lots of two back.  We'll be limited in our ability to come back form deficits, but we will run highly functional offense with the ability to control the clock and game tempo and play complimentary football to the defense.  And Willis can find some early success in this system and secure his place on the team.  This is a recipe for winning 10 or 11 games next year.

Scenario 2 = Pickett in the first and WR in the second, sign Chris Godwin, try and keep Scherff but maybe it's not as essential as in scenario 1.  Take advantage of the quality of our line and our newly stacked WR room and run an Air Raid with a lot of five man protections and three and four verts.  Pickett was an Air Raid guy in college and he's older and more experienced than the other prospects so you can expect a quicker transition from him.  He can read the whole field and he excels at throwing vertical or outside on single coverage, especially when corners are bailing to try and stay alive against speed.  I think we can be legitimately competitive by '23 with this outcome.

Both scenarios sound good to me, which is why I'm not trying to trade up for anyone in this draft class.  I think Carson Strong can give you the poor man's version of scenario 2 since he was an Air-Raid guy too but I think 11 is way too high for him.  And if Strong is the pick, then I also think you really need to keep Scherff or replace him with a highly credible option because NFL B gap pressure is going to absolutely **** Strong up.

• Like 2

I am thrilled Strong is having a good week. We need as many good QB options as possible. He has replaced Ridder on my first round potentials (but not at 11). What a disappointment Ridder has been by not improving on those inconsistencies as the season progressed. 

I also like that Strong called this team the Washington Pigskins...that is a way better name their choice.

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's not mine either, Willis has been since I started watching this class.  But he's my #2 choice, and at 11, I think we should be getting to choose between at least one of Willis or Pickett.  I can envision two alternate paths to success with them + the pick at 42.

Scenario 1 = Willis in the first and WR or RB in the second.  Keep Scherff and go out and get Maxx Williams.  Sign Fournette if the pick at 42 wasn't a RB.  We change the offense to a power run game with lots of options and lots of two back.  We'll be limited in our ability to come back form deficits, but we will run highly functional offense with the ability to control the clock and game tempo and play complimentary football to the defense.  And Willis can find some early success in this system and secure his place on the team.  This is a recipe for winning 10 or 11 games next year.

Scenario 2 = Pickett in the first and WR in the second, sign Chris Godwin, try and keep Scherff but maybe it's not as essential as in scenario 1.  Take advantage of the quality of our line and our newly stacked WR room and run an Air Raid with a lot of five man protections and three and four verts.  Pickett was an Air Raid guy in college and he's older and more experienced than the other prospects so you can expect a quicker transition from him.  He can read the whole field and he excels at throwing vertical or outside on single coverage, especially when corners are bailing to try and stay alive against speed.  I think we can be legitimately competitive by '23 with this outcome.

Both scenarios sound good to me, which is why I'm not trying to trade up for anyone in this draft class.  I think Carson Strong can give you the poor man's version of scenario 2 since he was an Air-Raid guy too but I think 11 is way too high for him.  And if Strong is the pick, then I also think you really need to keep Scherff or replace him with a highly credible option because NFL B gap pressure is going to absolutely **** Strong up.

What about targeting Mike Giseki in FA?  He's basically a big WR masquerading as a TE anyways.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was asked would I take that trade if I were Pittsburgh.  You got me what that answer I gave there on that has anything that speaks to me needing to be lectured that QB is our biggest need?:ols:

You got me on it being specific to Pittsburgh.  Sorry my friend. :)  LOL.  All's well.  :)  Always look forward to your insight and posts.  👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, actorguy1 said:

John Harris is an analyst for Texans radio, he's a weekly guest on Locked on NFL Draft podcast. On today's episode he claimed that a friend of his who is a scout for the Commanders said that they love Willis and know if they select him it would bring excitement to the fan base. They know they need a player that will do that at QB.

I'm down with any QB this FO genuinely believes is a franchise guy.  However, they need to break with past regimes on making draft choices solely on what will invigorate a declining fanbase.  If they allow that criteria to dominate their decision then it's going to fail and get them all fired, and we'll all be back at square one in a year or two.  

If they don't believe there's a franchise guy in this draft - don't draft a QB.  Period.  Go another direction, build the roster and get a guy in a strong QB class next year.  If they force the pick because of the corner Ron's painted us into and we need "excitement" - our goose is cooked.

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

What about targeting Mike Giseki in FA?  He's basically a big WR masquerading as a TE anyways.

I'd be interested in him, but I thought I remembered reading that he was likely to be tagged.  If he hits the market, I would definitely poke around but I would also be worried that he'd be too expensive.  My thinking with Williams would be that he's cheap and a low risk signing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'd be interested in him, but I thought I remembered reading that he was likely to be tagged.  If he hits the market, I would definitely poke around but I would also be worried that he'd be too expensive.  My thinking with Williams would be that he's cheap and a low risk signing.

I do think this staff/FO knows what it is doing with respect with TE(s).  Drafting Bates, getting Thomas on the cheap, signing RSJ off the scrap heap.  Bates looks like a stud blocker in the making.  I actually think Dalton Schultz is up there with Giseki, but we can't afford another expensive TE.  Bates is cemented as the #2 TE anyways, and we have Reyes to develop.

Just now, mhd24 said:

I do think this staff/FO knows what it is doing with respect with TE(s).  Drafting Bates, getting Thomas on the cheap, signing RSJ off the scrap heap.  Bates looks like a stud blocker in the making.  I actually think Dalton Schultz is up there with Giseki, but we can't afford another expensive TE.  Bates is cemented as the #2 TE anyways, and we have Reyes to develop.

I'm getting a touch on the nervous side RE: Logan Thomas. Dude has been seemingly non-stop banged up the last year. Could be bad luck. Don't want to write him off yet.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We both dig Willis.   We both argued with plenty of people here about Willis and the value of betting on upside and potential elite mobility.  So we are on the same page there.  But I don't think either one of us would give up the store to go get him. 

You like Pickett a little bit more than I do.   When it comes to the QB spot, personality can matter as part of the soup.  Ironically, you are a bit put off by his personality.  I've dug in a lot as to these QB's personalities -- IMHO I think you'd like Pickett's personality more once you do more digging on it. Yeah it was a jerk move when he faked going down and kept running -- but even listening to him explain it, he doesn't come off obnoxious.  He comes off to me like a good guy even though he doesn't want to be perceived that way, has some personality and leadership skills and those who covered him say he's a super nice guy (and by nice guy they didn't mean it in a boring way, he has plenty of personality) behind the scenes.

I like Corral a little but more than you do.  I don't dislike Ridder but you like him more.  I like Howell a bit more than you do.  Corral's personality should be an interesting topic at the Combine.  He IMO is closer to who you think Pickett is personality wise -- very brash, has some bad boy in the mix.  Though his teammates supposedly like him a lot so I got an open mind on it but i am curious about his combine interviews.  Ridder on the field seems brash in a good way but more understated and cool off the field from what i heard -- I haven't found a ton though on his personality.  Howell more leads by example, quiet, very religious.  Strong like Pickett seems to have a lot of personality and charm. 

I said before the Senior Bowl, i'd likely rerank my favs after its over.  So I'll do it after the game tomorrow.

I am ok with that.  My gut is they don't go this route.  But will see.

Pickett isn't in my top 2 choices, might not be top 3, still deciding but definitiely top 4.  I am fine with that.   With what they paid Samuel and are about to pay Terry I don't think can sign a WR FA to a big contract.  Too much money tied to that spot.  Only way I see that happening is if they trade for a veteran QB who insists on a FA WR. 

I spent a lot of time on Strong.  I like his arm, accuracy, touch, and personality.  Concerns:  off platform throws, pocket presence, mobility.  I am real curious to see his game tomorrow.  Agree, and have said the same on and off for months, if you get strong, we need really good pass protection.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

First off, I wonder if that’s real. It’s so much faster than anything I can remember. Josh Allen threw 66mph. Mahommes 62mph. If it’s real, then wow. 

Also, why is MPH such a poor measure of throwing power? Mahommes and Kirk Cousins both pitched a 62. 

4 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Seriously doubt they go RB in round 2. I bet Guard. One of the highest floor positions you can take that can come and contribute in the Run game. Think we pursue a big time WR in FA. 

Need an ILB in the worst way.  Could be ILB or G.  It depends on if we use our draft picks and trade for a proven ready QB.  It might cost us our 2nd rounder.  Who knows? :) 

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I said before the Senior Bowl, i'd likely rerank my favs after its over.  So I'll do it after the game tomorrow.

Good post.  TBH, I usually only have a surface level take on the personality of these guys.  Unlike some of our fans here on the board, I don't pour over every social media post or rumor involving these guys and whine about their Gen Z ways.  I just want them to have energy and confidence and competitiveness.

I liked Malik's personality from interviews I saw, comes across as having a good mix of ****iness and humility.  That dude knows how good he is, but he's not going to big time his team and he'll do what they ask him to do.  I like Matt Corral's on-field attitude because he plays with his cleats on fire and I feel like he's got some Drew Brees type swagger and energy where I could see him leading the hype up huddle pre-game.  I love Ridder's swagger and feel like he's got an "it" factor.  I feel like Pickett's got an edge liike Corral and isn't afraid to spin the ball in your face, and while I have found him annoying personally, I absolutely would not let that effect my decision to draft him if I were in charge.  Strong gives me a little bit of pause because I feel like he's a people pleaser.  He kind of reminds me of Drew Lock a little bit.  But he seems smart and eager and personality wouldn't stop me from drafting him.

It wouldn't stop me from drafting any of these kids, and the way I have them ranked is entirely based on on-field observations/production.  My ranking of them hasn't really changed that much because of the Senior Bowl because I honestly don't think it's that weighty.  I think the off-season pre-draft process is mostly a dog and pony show that is primarily designed to generate media coverage for the sport and for the draft.  And I think that you get in to trouble with most prospects when you pay too much attention to the AS games/combine/pro-days and forget about your film takes.  There are kids here and there who were hidden by their programs or playing in really bad situations that need the chance to show you who they really are in these post-season showcases, but I think that's a tiny percentage of the prospects.   But it has helped my realize that I like the value of Strong and Ridder almost as much as Howell and Corral, to the point where I would put them all in the same tier.

Tier 1

1 - Willis

Tier 2

2 - Pickett

Tier 3

3 - Corral

4 - Howell

5a - Strong

5b - Ridder

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pickett isn't in my top 2 choices, might not be top 3, still deciding but definitiely top 4.  I am fine with that.   With what they paid Samuel and are about to pay Terry I don't think can sign a WR FA to a big contract.  Too much money tied to that spot.  Only way I see that happening is if they trade for a veteran QB who insists on a FA WR. 

If they get a vet QB, they'll be less likely to afford a third expensive WR than if they draft a rookie.  Five years of cheap rookie QB contract means they can absolutely afford to spend on weapons, and it's what they should do.  They need to stack the deck for their QB prospect.  They need to give him high quality weapons to the point where they should sacrifice quality and spending on other parts of the team if necessary (it shouldn't be though, we've got money).  On top of that, Godwin is one of the only predictably good players that's going to hit the market and be obtainable, so he's a good FA bet too.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Who is the pro comp for Strong? Is it Matt Ryan? Looking back a long ways, I’m not sure why, but he reminds me a little of Jim Kelly. 

The comp that came to mind for me was Jared Goff.  The comps I was thinking of for each:

Willis - Poor man's Kyler Murray

Pickett - Poor man's Matt Stafford

Matt Corral - Small Ryan Tannehill

Sam Howell - Poor man's Baker Mayfield

Carson Strong - Little bit slower Jared Goff

Desmond Ridder - Skinny, weaker-armed Dak Prescott

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Seriously doubt they go RB in round 2. I bet Guard. One of the highest floor positions you can take that can come and contribute in the Run game. Think we pursue a big time WR in FA. 

Probably like a 75% chance it'll be a MLB knowing the way this FO drafts for need.  But I could also see them picking a corner if someone interesting drops to 42.

I'm thinking they'll either try and keep Scherff or they'll go after someone like James Daniels as a vet replacement for guard.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Probably like a 75% chance it'll be a MLB knowing the way this FO drafts for need.  But I could also see them picking a corner if someone interesting drops to 42.

I'm thinking they'll either try and keep Scherff or they'll go after someone like James Daniels as a vet replacement for guard.

Scherff is gone with near all certainty. Thank god. Dont want any part of paying a guard 18 mil a year. The difference between an all pro and a decent one isnt worth the 10 mil difference in cap space. 

• Like 1