Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I saw that.  It felt more like speculation.  The idea is the new regime with the Bears, decide heck Wilson wants to go there, lets make that happen.  And if they trade for Wilson maybe Seattle doesn't want Fields. 

IMO Davis isn't better than the top 5 QBs in this draft.  High floor.  Low ceiling.  I think he has the potential to be an average QB.  I'd want to shoot for a higher ceiling than him.  Very vanilla.  Injury history, 2 ACL, knee injuries that we have to keep in mind.

In theory, I don't love the idea of taking a QB from a team that wants to upgrade their own QB situation.  So i'd see it as a red flag if a team wants to discard any of their guys in that context.  

Where do you rank Huntley from the Ravens...does he have much of a ceiling. I remember him abusing Jimmy Moreland so badly back in preseason that I think it actually got Moreland cut from our squad. Huntley is intriguing to me.

• Like 1

Dane Brugler just posted a new 2-round mock at the Athletic with some stunners:

Has Jags taking Ikwonu at #1.

Lloyd to Denver at 9 and Dean falls to #21

Garrett Wilson is the #1 WR and goes to the Jets at #10

Has us taking Pickett (first QB off the board)

Corral to Saints at 18

Howell to Steelers at 20

Malik Willis falls to #43 to Atlanta in the 2nd.

We take Darrian Kinnard OG/T at #42.

Kenneth Walker goes to Houston at #37

Carson Strong to Indy at #47

Christian Harris to Raiders at #53

Breece Hall to TB at #62

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Pickett doesn't have the same qualities. He has a lesser arm, lesser size, lesser athleticism and I don't see that kind of moxie. I also think Pickett's consistent desire to force the ball into double coverage is a major knock that isn't getting talked about enough. 

At times, he likes to roll from pressure and then make some reckless throws into coverage especially on the move, sometimes doing so where he throws across his body and he doesn't have the zip to get away with those throws.   it's lucky he didn't have 5 picks in the North Carolina game.

I've seen enough that I like.  So i am not hating on Pickett.  But i am not blown away either.  Will see what happens at the Senior Bowl. 

2 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Corral to Saints at 18

Howell to Steelers at 20

Breece Hall to TB at #62

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 8.27.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 8.27.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 8.28.23 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

11 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Where do you rank Huntley from the Ravens...does he have much of a ceiling. I remember him abusing Jimmy Moreland so badly back in preseason that I think it actually got Moreland cut from our squad. Huntley is intriguing to me.

I've watched him some but not much.   I am a bit wary about short samples.  Many mistakes have been made by extrapolating from short sampes at the QB spot.  He had two good games and then ended with two "meh" ones. 

He definitely can run.  Uber mobility.  But I got to go back and watch him to form an opinion.  

15 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Corral to Saints at 18

Howell to Steelers at 20

Breece Hall to TB at #62

I can't see the QB dominoes falling in that way. No way we take the QB1 at #11. But if they did, I do like the general direction here of grabbing a QB at #11 and bolstering the OL. I think the defense will come around, and we need to snag a MLB either early in the draft or with some of our FA dough. But assuming we go into the draft with a veteran QB, a MLB, and some depth additions ... I would love to dedicate our full slate of picks to just surrounding our future QB with options. Get me another RB, an OL, a TE, whatever it takes. Get a glut of talent on offense and let the cream rise to the top.

QB-OL-RB-TE with the first 4 picks would be pretty sweet.

As to Brugler's point in his mock, yeah I could definitely see Sean Payton digging Corral as a fit to his offense.

Speaking of Corral, its funny how many get the pronounciation of his last name wrong.  If Logan Paulsen for example watched him closely enough to evaluate him, how can you call his last name Carol?  it's not just him, I hear Coral, Carol.  So many botch his last name.  If we drafted him, good thing Bruce isn't here to botch his name on a regular basis.  😀

30 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

QB-OL-RB-TE with the first 4 picks would be pretty sweet.

I'd swap WR for TE.  Listening to Rivera, he seems really pleased with the development of Bates and likes Logan Thomas.  i was listening to Logan Paulsen the other day and he thinks Bates is already one of the best TE blockers in the NFL and is coming on as a pass catcher.  They also supposedly planned with Reyes from the jump to develop him with an eye towards this coming season. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Neither QB kills it on any one thing.  But they are very soild.  they both seemed to be billed for their intangibles -- they are both likeable from what I can tell. 

I don't think Pickett is likable.  He's an asshole and he plays like an asshole IMO.  He even admitted it.  But he is right that having that edge is his way of being an intense competitor.  I don't think he is stylistically similar or has a similar personality to Jimmy G.  I do think he's got some "Big **** Joe" swagger to him and that there is real meat to the comparison he draws to Burrow.  He likes embarrassing opponents.  And I think he's a really smart player too.  The way he beat Clemson was from consistently being a step ahead of them.  I think he's got some Stafford in him too in the mix of focused intensity + school yard football playmaking.

I don't think this QB class will be like the past few where the risers make it into the top 5 or 6 picks.  I think the resumes are worse and the position players and linemen are so much cleaner and more talented that we will be in the mix for QB 1 or 2 at 11, and I think a consensus will slowly form around Willis and Pickett being QB 1 and 2 in variable order, depending on if you prefer upside or NFL readiness.

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd swap WR for TE.  Listening to Rivera, he seems really pleased with the development of Bates and likes Logan Thomas.  i was listening to Logan Paulsen the other day and he thinks Bates is already one of the best TE blockers in the NFL and is coming on as a pass catcher.  They also supposedly planned with Reyes from the jump to develop him with an eye towards this coming season. 

That's fine. I think TE becomes less of a need if we bring back RSJ, since Thomas likely misses the start of the season. But I did hear Rivera's comments which lead me to think they're confident in the young guys. I mean, I have been waiting for the team to nail one of those TEs in the middle rounds that turns into top-tier talent. I had never really heard much on John Bates pre-draft last year, but if he turned into a legit TE1 that's a great deal. I liked what I saw from him this year and Year 2-3 are big leap years for TEs.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think Pickett is likable.  He's an asshole and he plays like an asshole IMO.  He even admitted it.  But he is right that having that edge is his way of being an intense competitor. 

I don't think we are supposed to use the word here so I'll sub it for the word expletive.

I've watched some of his interviews.  I listened to a dude who covered him at Pittsburgh yesterday on the radio.  And another one at a different time, the vibe I get listening to them, he's a nice guy.   Compettive and confident.  Who isn't at that spot?  But a nice dude.   Always talking about hanging with his family, they show up to all his games.  A nice guy to deal with it.   Listening to his own interviews, he's full of feel good vibes to me.  He doesn't come off edgy or a jerk to me.    Confident, yes.  A jerk?  Not to me.  But I'll give that its tough to gauge anyone's personality without a lot of info.  Which neither you or I have.  So we are both guessing based on limited information.

I saw that comment he made that you got to be a competitor/can't be a nice guy.  To me it sounded like BS fluff and it wasn't from what I recall in response to that infamous play.   Him going out of his way though to say it reminded me of the Seinfeld episode when George wanted to be the cool bad boy so he cultivated that image artificially because he wanted people to think that.    If its really the truth IMO you don't need to say it.

As far as the fake slide, I don't define anyone's personallity on one action.  Otherwise how does he play like an "expletive"?    I saw him explain that play.  He didn't say i am an "expletive", just deal with it.  He defended it by saying other players fake going out of bounds and then keep running.  He was surprised that there was such a reaction from that play which he saw as apples to apples to that.  Personally i think his play was more egregious than the Qbs who fake going out of bounds yet keep running.  But if I am sticking to that point, Daniel Jones did that to us this season.  So does that mean the low key persona that Jones is described by with those who cover him is totally false, instead he's a bad ass expletive. 

Matt Corral is the legit IMO bad ass.  He doesn't have to talk about it because its real and legit.  His actions speak it.  Arrogant as heck.  Emotional.  High strung.  Got in trouble for a fight among other things.   Matt Miller actually puts all this as actually a potential red flag -- can you tame his personality?

On Pickett

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32599638/kenny-pickett-evolution-elite-prospect-final-college-season-pitt

The fifth-year senior is as humble as he is talented..."He's one of most humble kids you're ever going to find," Tedesco said. "That comes from his family. They're always caring, sharing and thinking about people other than themselves."

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I would personally prioritise TE over WR. That said, we could really do with adding one of each this offseason. Samuel needs to be healthy.

I’d also take 1 of each.  Gonna depend on FA though (for me) in terms of prioritizing.  Less room in the TE room, especially if we do re-sign Seales-Jones.  Conversely, if we re-sign Carter and maybe Sims, gonna be harder for a rookie to break through there.

Both spots have their issues though - we need a #2 receiver, and Thomas is rehabbing and might not regain form quickly enough (assuming he does), and both positions have a developmental guy with real upside (Reyes and Brown) that we can’t/shouldn’t really bank on.

I think I’m a touch more concerned with our oline depth though - we certainly can’t rely on staying healthy and oline effects the run game and, more importantly, will effect our new qb (especially a rook).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I would personally prioritise TE over WR. That said, we could really do with adding one of each this offseason. Samuel needs to be healthy.

I think then you will likely be dissapointed at TE.   As loud as Rivera has been at wanting a QB and MLB.  He's more or less gone out of his way to say he's very happy with status quo at TE.  Beat guys also seem to think that's one spot they'd be surprised they'd make a move on.

WR on the other hand he's giving a mixed message but he's said enough for me to think its on the table.  Keim has nailed from what I can tell more about their intentions in the off season than any of the other beat guys.  For ESPN Keim said he expects:  QB, OG, WR.  He's multiple times said MLB.

I've been on the TE train for years.  i am off it now.  If they think Thomas comes back strong.  And they seem really high on Bates.  And are developing Reyes.  And they might bring back Seals-Jones.  That's a lot cooking for a change in the TE room.   We could always use more but I think that room is pretty good for a change.

Having said that, i am a BPA guy so i am open to any spot for the most part if that 's how the draft flows.  But I do think WR-RB are the hotter needs than TE.  

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think then you will likely be dissapointed at TE.   As loud as Rivera has been at wanting a QB and MLB.  He's more or less gone out of his way to say he's very happy with status quo at TE.  Beat guys also seem to think that's one spot they'd be surprised they'd make a move on.

WR on the other hand he's giving a mixed message but he's said enough for me to think its on the table.  Keim has nailed from what I can tell more about their intentions in the off season than any of the other beat guys.  For ESPN Keim said he expects:  QB, OG, WR.  He's multiple times said MLB.

I've been on the TE train for years.  i am off it now.  If they think Thomas comes back strong.  And they seem really high on Bates.  And are developing Reyes.  And they might bring back Seals-Jones.  That's a lot cooking for a change in the TE room.   We could always use more but I think that room is pretty good for a change.

Having said that, i am a BPA guy so i am open to any spot for the most part if that 's how the draft flows.  But I do think WR-RB are the hotter needs than TE.  

I still think safety should be on the table, too. Kurl seems set, but McCain seemed uneven and as of today he's a free agent anyway. Collins and Kurl wouldn't work. Collins at this point really looks he can only be good as an in the box safety/extra linebacker.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I still think safety should be on the table, too. Kurl seems set, but McCain seemed uneven and as of today he's a free agent anyway. Collins and Kurl wouldn't work. Collins at this point really looks he can only be good as an in the box safety/extra linebacker.

I'd like a FS.  But I am not giving my shopping list there, just repeating what Rivera has hinted at or what other reporters have said they heard they are looking at. 

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

But he is right that having that edge is his way of being an intense competitor. 

I like what I've seen about his personality.  So me saying he's a nice guy isn't a shot at him.  I think he's plenty competitive. The two points aren't IMO mutually exclusive. You can be a nice guy off the field and a badass on the field -- see Drew Brees among others. 

The line though that you are gravitating towards on about his personality made by Pickett himself -- is actually the line that makes me cringe.  Otherwise i like the dude's makeup from everything I've heard.     I hate him going out of his way to describe himself which he does sometimes on a number of fronts.   Comes off like false bravado -- which typically masks some kind of insecurity.    If you got a trait you don't have to go out of your way to try sell that you do. 

I don't think he is stylistically similar or has a similar personality to Jimmy G. 

I didn't say personality.  But yeah as to their play, they do remind me of each other in some of the ways I described.  So I guess lets agree to disagree.  And Jimmy G wasn't a shot at him,  Jimmy G has been a successful QB.  Jimmy G is not killer good.  But he's decent and in the 15-18 range of QBs.  He's better than what we got now IMO.

With all these Qbs, we are all just guessing.  But for me I don't see Burrow albeit I get why some compare them.  He reminds me more of Jimmy G.  But will see.  

I think a consensus will slowly form around Willis and Pickett being QB 1 and 2 in variable order, depending on if you prefer upside or NFL readiness.

Based on what mock draft types have said where they allegidly talked to scouts from different teams.  There is no clear consensus.  it's all over the place as to how teams rank these guys.  So if that sticks I am expecting a wild anything goes sceanrio as for how it goes down.  I do agree that Pickett is the most pro ready.  I definitely agree that Willis has the most upside.

II do think he's got some "Big **** Joe" swagger to him and that there is real meat to the comparison he draws to Burrow. 

If its about swagger.  IMO its Corral and by a good margin. 

Pickett to me has some but nothing off the charts.  But even if I believed he did have Burrow's level of it off the field -- IMO he doesn't have Burrow's composure in the pocket.  Burrow looks and plays like a cold blooded assasain.  

• Thanks 1

Matt Miller's take on what the Steelers should do.  I can't post a link because its via an email

Option #1 — Trade for a starter

This is the best option, and a quick fix if the right starter is acquired. Aaron Rodgers, Deshaun Watson and Russell Wilson are all expected to be on the trade market this coming winter. The same goes for Jimmy Garoppolo and potentially Kirk Cousins as less-attractive options.

Can the Steelers afford to trade for one of the Big 3 on the market? Yes, absolutely. While they don’t have the draft capital of the Philadelphia Eagles or New York Giants, the Steelers are a very attractive destination thanks to great ownership, a highly-respected head coach, a great defense, and a good young offensive nucleus.

Given the no-trade clauses Watson and Wilson have, and the one Rodgers essentially has as a 2023 free agent, Pittsburgh looks pretty damn good for all three quarterbacks.

Rodgers — Green Bay will definitely want to send him out of the NFC and while his leaked list of preferred destinations where west of the Mississippi, Pittsburgh gives Rodgers his best chance to win another Super Bowl ring in a hurry.

Watson — The rumor all along is that he wants to land in Miami, but second-year quarterback Tua Tagovailoa has played well enough during the team’s seven game win streak that the Dolphins might not be willing to part with him and multiple first-rounders for Watson. If the Dolphins are out and the Carolina Panthers don’t throw the farm at Houston, Pittsburgh would be a great spot for Watson to get back onto the field.

Wilson — It really feels like Wilson will force his way to New York if he’s indeed traded, but if he makes a move based on the best football decision, the Steelers make a lot of sense for him. And while Wilson would no doubt be expensive, Pittsburgh has shown in the past (Devin Bush, Minkah Fitzpatrick) a willingness to push the chips to the middle of the table to acquire talent they want.

Garoppolo/Cousins — This is not really a super attractive long-term option, but if the three star quarterbacks mentioned aren’t shopped or can’t be moved, Garoppolo or Cousins would keep Pittsburgh competitive for the 2022 season. I would argue that losing for one year would better set them up for the future than banking on a mid-level quarterback, but we’ve seen too many teams make this move to write it off as a possibility.

Option #2 — Sign a starter

This isn’t the year to need a quarterback and rely on the free agent market—not that any year really is. But this year is really bad. Jameis Winston and Teddy Bridgewater are the best quarterbacks on the free agent market and even they might be re-signed in their current situations.

Yeah. It’s that bad. Signing a starter would only make sense if it’s in conjunction with a high draft pick at the position.

Which leads us too…

Option #3 — Draft a starter

The Steelers are currently projected to draft at No. 15 overall in the first round. The 2022 draft class is notably thin at the quarterback position when it comes to first-round talents or “franchise quarterbacks”.

Kenny Pickett (Pitt) is a local product who saw his stock soar in his senior season, but even with Pickett’s production and experience many are still waiting to be impressed by his overall ability. The Senior Bowl will be huge for his evaluation. And while he’s been throwing in Pittsburgh for four years now, there are enough questions about his hand size and arm strength to question drafting him to quarterback the Steelers in the notorious Pennsylvania winters.

Matt Corral (Ole Miss) has a great combination of arm talent and confidence, but reports are already surfacing that the confidence is too often ****iness

Malik Willis (Liberty), Carson Strong (Nevada) and Desmond Ridder (Cincinnati) could all be seen as fits based on positive traits, but negatives—decision-making for Willis, a knee injury for Strong, and inconsistent accuracy for Ridder—make them gambles in Round 1 and as rookie starters.

Unfortunately for the Steelers, this is the worst draft since 2013 from a pre-draft standpoint to need a franchise quarterback out of Round 1.

And that’s why option No. 4 might be the best one.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Option #3 — Draft a starter

The Steelers are currently projected to draft at No. 15 overall in the first round. The 2022 draft class is notably thin at the quarterback position when it comes to first-round talents or “franchise quarterbacks”.

Kenny Pickett (Pitt) is a local product who saw his stock soar in his senior season, but even with Pickett’s production and experience many are still waiting to be impressed by his overall ability. The Senior Bowl will be huge for his evaluation. And while he’s been throwing in Pittsburgh for four years now, there are enough questions about his hand size and arm strength to question drafting him to quarterback the Steelers in the notorious Pennsylvania winters.

Matt Corral (Ole Miss) has a great combination of arm talent and confidence, but reports are already surfacing that the confidence is too often ****iness

Malik Willis (Liberty), Carson Strong (Nevada) and Desmond Ridder (Cincinnati) could all be seen as fits based on positive traits, but negatives—decision-making for Willis, a knee injury for Strong, and inconsistent accuracy for Ridder—make them gambles in Round 1 and as rookie starters.

Unfortunately for the Steelers, this is the worst draft since 2013 from a pre-draft standpoint to need a franchise quarterback out of Round 1.

And that’s why option No. 4 might be the best one.

I know some are going to think it's because I like him most... But Paulsen and now this guy... neither even mentioned Howell. I'm amazed by that.