Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

50 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Jameson Williams is really fast.

I am guessing that was regarding the impressive afterburners he showed on the TD. 

I have been a little disappointed with the job Brian Robinson is doing picking up blitzers. Expect more from the big guy

Edited by DWinzit

2 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Make another RG3 type trade. Go get him.

image.gif.f2c5cd99bff7242c1bc8191f07909d7f.gif

Cant get him this year obviously. But he might be even better than RG3. His size is a concern for sure. And if we could get Pickett this year late in the first I would let Young go. But goodness is Young an incredible player. 

21 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The timing for drafting him here is kind of awkward though.  I think he'd benefit from a redshirt season, and we do have Heinicke under contract for another year.  But Heinicke is too young and too unestablished to be a bridge QB.  There's a chance for things to really go off the rails with a plan to draft Corral and redshirt him like that.  Maybe you mess up the mojo of the team and Heinicke bombs and you have to start Corral too early.  Or Heinicke could just win the job outright and then you've wasted a first round pick on a QB prospect you can no longer play on his rookie deal.  The odds of getting that first round pick back for a QB prospect who doesn't play are super low.  It would have been better for us to have Corral to pick in last year's draft.

I am at the game today. I like to say there is nothing that beats seeing arm strength in person at a game. Will see. I saw Heinicke in training camp but he didn’t have a hot camp and supposedly he is throwing with a little more heat now because he was putting too much touch on his throws. So it will be interesting for me to see if that’s real or not at least according to my observation.

I am not hung up on QBs arm strength typically but I do have a minimum threshold and Taylor to my eyes doesn’t meet it.  But I love other aspects of his play. 

It seems like the consensus of national analysts including some ex-GMs is that Heinicke can play but no one that I can recall sees him as a franchise QB.  They could be wrong but for the moment it fits my take, too.

For now I am not stopping taking a QB because of Heinicke. If they do it and they end up with 2 who can play, I’ll handle the embarrassment of riches, it would not bug me. I’ll be thrilled. 

Today is big for me as to evaluating Heinicke. Love his intangibles. Love his ability to make off platform throws. Among other things. But my hesitation on him is inconsistent accuracy and arm strength. But maybe I am wrong on that. I think I’ll have a better feel for it by the end of the day 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, max21 said:

Anyone watch Pickett last night? I meant to watch but didn’t 

He looked good, all his throws had accuracy and velocity.  He got sacked a few times, it didn't bother him.  I would guess he's going to be the top quarterback taken in this year's draft?

edit:  who knows, I keep flip-flopping, we'll see how the bowls go.

Edited by ium786

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I didn't, but I saw he faked a slide in order to score a long TD on the ground.  Then celebrated like a jackass after he did it.  Such a douchebag move.  He loses some respect for that.

I saw that and got so pissed. As a defensive coach that infuriates me. If a player would have hit him they’d be flagged and possibly ejected. But he’s allowed to fake it when the defenders give up? And then he celebrates like a dickbag?

Wasnt a good moment.

I feel like in some QB draft classes everyone forces themselves to find reasons not to like a prospect. Fields/Jones fit that bill.

I think this draft class is the opposite. Everyone trying to find a reason to like a prospect. I’ve seen them all play except for Willis and to be honest, none of them really get me excited. 

They all seem like they have high bust potential. I’m a biased Howell guy but even he has traits that cause me to tread carefully. Anyone worth moving up to draft? I just don’t see it. 

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I saw that and got so pissed. As a defensive coach that infuriates me. If a player would have hit him they’d be flagged and possibly ejected. But he’s allowed to fake it when the defenders give up? And then he celebrates like a dickbag?

Wasnt a good moment.

What did Pickett do to celebrate the TD run that was so offensive? I couldn't find much online .... did he do a "Mayfield"?

BTW,  I'm not a fan of what NFL is allowing for celebrations these days.

As for the controversial fake, isn't a when a QB jukes to fake going out of bounds, kind of same thing?

g move?  

Edited by Wyvern

5 hours ago, max21 said:

Anyone watch Pickett last night? I meant to watch but didn’t 

He looked great. And I dont care about the fake slide. IMO it looked like he thought about it then realized he had plenty of space left and decided to keep going. But whatever. He is the best QB in this draft class. And it aint even close IMO. He has underrated running ability as well. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

What did Pickett do to celebrate the TD run that was so offensive? I couldn't find much online .... did he do a "Mayfield"?

BTW,  I'm not a fan of what NFL is allowing for celebrations these days.

As for the controversial fake, isn't a when a QB jukes to fake going out of bounds, kind of same thing?

g move?  

No debating his ability. If he can throw the NFL ball he’s a high end prospect.

As a defensive coach seeing that fake out of bounds/fake slide crap from a quarterback is infuriating. 

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

Wasnt a good moment.

I think what he did constitutes initiating a slide and it should have been a dead ball at the spot where he faked.  It's completely unfair and a hole in the rule book otherwise.  And TBH, I wouldn't mind seeing that kind of play draw a penalty for unsporstmanlike conduct.

• Thanks 1

The Rules Official Expert on the TV Broadcast said the Officials were suppose to have killed the Play when Pickett initiated the sliding process. Even though Pickett did not complete it.The Rules official said Pickett could not get the protecions of a Slide in not being hit and then benefit by not actually Sliding to Score. 

Edited by Gallen5862

18 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I feel like in some QB draft classes everyone forces themselves to find reasons not to like a prospect. Fields/Jones fit that bill.

I think this draft class is the opposite. Everyone trying to find a reason to like a prospect. I’ve seen them all play except for Willis and to be honest, none of them really get me excited. 

They all seem like they have high bust potential. I’m a biased Howell guy but even he has traits that cause me to tread carefully. Anyone worth moving up to draft? I just don’t see it. 

Agreed. I'd rather take a flyer on some of the second tier guys like Haener and Zappe in the 2/3/4 range than use our 1rst on one we don't love.

I just saw the Pickett fake slide and it really isn't egregious at all. It'd be like getting mad at guy for doing a juke move. Its a fake. It wouldn't work in the NFL anyway when opposing defenders are a lot quicker and more athletic and would easily be able to adjust to that and knock his head off.

54 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I’m stunned nobody has mention Brock Bowers’ performance in the SEC championship game. I thought he looked like the 2nd best player in the game. What a stud. And what a performance against huge competition. 

It's because he's a true freshman.  Two years away from his draft year.  He's a surefire future first round pick though.

11 hours ago, Gallen5862 said:

The Rules Official Expert on the TV Broadcast said the Officials were suppose to have killed the Play when Pickett initiated the sliding process. Even though Pickett did not complete it.The Rules official said Pickett could not get the protecions of a Slide in not being hit and then benefit by not actually Sliding to Score. 

Figured they messed up.  He initiated the slide which is the spot where the play should have ended.

I think it should be an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty though because cheating to exploit an apparently difficult to enforce rule is the definition of unsportsmanlike conduct.  And that play wrong-footed Wake Forest right out of the door and certainly changed the course of the game.

• Like 1