Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Imagine if we drafted Moehrig who PFF has graded very highly.

Yeah that was one of my guys.  I hope Rivera's here and there praise of McCain doesn't mean he wouldn't shop for that spot.  I do notice that Rivera doesn't shoehorn in complements to William Jackson.  I do think Jackson has been the worse  among the players in the secondary but I gather we are stuck with Jackson considering his contract.  McCain was signed for a ham sandwhich. 

I am headed to the Vegas game.  I am a bit worried about D-Jax -- the ultimate big play WR versus the ultimate give up big play secondaries.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

8 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Rivera probably likes his intangibles, but he's very limited athletically. 

Not sure.  But as Sheehan and if I recall Standig was another, they've gone about wow does Rivera find a way to complement McCain of late and seems to give him serious credit for the secondary playing better of late.  And Rivera doesn't seem to spread the wealth when it comes to complements so yeah something about McCain does it for him.  I agree he didn't have a good game yesterday so maybe he will cool off on the praise.   Fuller has really come on of late.  Danny Johnson in a sub role has too.  I haven't noticed much of St. Juste lately?

IMO they need a FS and another corner.  

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Kam is always in the right place at the right time and for a SS that's huge.

Kam has been great.  Collins has been good too in his new role.  Fuller has come on.  Danny Johnson has been at least ok.  Not sure about St. Juste but he's young.

McCain I think is just a guy.  William Jackson has been poor.  But heck for once we didn't get a killer penalty from him last night.  It might have been one of his better games. 

Keim among others has made it clear that from what they've heard, Jackson has been central to the miscommunication issues this season.  And if I didn't believe their sources, Bullock does some good work on the team and he noticed the same including catching on film some of Jackson's confusion.  Hopefully, Jackson overcomes his confusion issues as for who is supposed to do what in zone.  

But in short, I've said this months ago and I know you agree a FS is key to fix this defense.  So I agree with @KDawgs point on this too.   Last season even with their better performance they gave up a lot of big plays.  I recall saying Moehrig specifically for this reason would be a great get before the last draft.  Moehrig was almost always around the ball, great range, he was tough to fool.  We definitely need a guy like that. 

6 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Rivera's compliments to McCain probably come from the leadership qualities on and of the field. His play has not been very compliment worthy

Maybe.  But his "leadership" qualities turned me off of him weeks back with his tirade against the media that was followed with him dropping an easy pick 6 the next game.  Listening to Rivera when he's talked about McCain, I am guessing his complements might be driven by him understanding the defense and its assignments well.  And Rivera hasn't hidden the fact that communication and understanding assignments that's been a problem for some other players in the secondary. 

That's fine.  But IMO you need a FS who can cover and is around the ball and can make plays.  I recall some of the Dolphin reporters talk on local radio about McCain when we signed him and they said he was a smart player who was versatile (could play slot corner too) but they let him go because he didn't make plays-picks. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe.  But his "leadership" qualities turned me off of him weeks back with his tirade against the media that was followed with him dropping an easy pick 6 the next game.  Listening to Rivera when he's talked about McCain, I am guessing his complements might be driven by him understanding the defense and its assignments well.  And he hasn't hidden the fact that communication and understanding assignments that's been a problem for some other players in the secondary. 

That's fine.  But IMO you need a FS who can cover and is around the ball and can make plays.  I recall some of the Dolphin reporters talk on local radio about McCain when we signed him and they said he was a smart player who was versatile (could play slot corner too) but they let him go because he didn't make plays-picks. 

Actually RT has made positive comments about most of the DB's not named Jackson. 

I don't see McCain playing well enough to earn an automatic return to the team. They will be looking to upgrade the FS and CB.

Really like what I am seeing from Bates and Toney as they develop. Bates is looking pretty good with his blocking

Toney is .5 sacks away from Young’s seasonal output. We can spin it all we want about Young’s talent, and he has it in spades, but Shaka Toney is outperforming him on a per snap basis. 

Curl is a top 3 player on our defense. I’ve been saying that for awhile now. 

We are a FS away from being much improved. Better LB play wouldn’t hurt but they are better. A better FS makes up for some of the “wft” moments with the corners, too.

Just now, KDawg said:

We are a FS away from being much improved. Better LB play wouldn’t hurt but they are better. A better FS makes up for some of the “wft” moments with the corners, too.

Yeah I agree.   FS has been my top complaint this season as for the defense.    They gave up the most big plays in the league last year.  They've taken it up a notch worse this season.    A FS would make all the difference.    i am worried about D. Jax next week.

As for Chase.  I am not worried about him.  I think he will bounce back.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I agree.   FS has been my top complaint this season as for the defense.    They gave up the most big plays in the league last year.  They've taken it up a notch worse this season.    A FS would make all the difference.    i am worried about D. Jax next week.

As for Chase.  I am not worried about him.  I think he will bounce back.  

I'm not worried about him. But if Shaka Toney can even come close to matching his performance he isn't going to be worth the second contract. I'd shop him and keep him unless someone throws a ridiculous offer. But I'd do my diligence. 

• Like 2

Bates is just awesome. I'm blown away by him. His blocking is that of a seasoned vet and he's definitely got a place in the receiving room. He doesn't play like a rookie.

Toney is a really pleasant surprise. I wonder what the ideal position for him is. Sam/DE pass rusher I suppose. Him and WJS make Sweat a bit more disposable, which is nice. Be great to see a PSU pass rusher step up huge for us in a couple weeks. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I'm not worried about him. But if Shaka Toney can even come close to matching his performance he isn't going to be worth the second contract. I'd shop him and keep him unless someone throws a ridiculous offer. But I'd do my diligence. 

I am hoping Toney and the rest of the defenses play since Chase has been out is a wake up call to him. He has a lot of time to study his play and make mental notes. Same goes for Sweat who I hope will return to play soon.

I have a hard time seeing anyone offering much for Chase right now. Sweat might be a better target if he can get back and look good with the Collins playing inspired in his new position (where he should have been the past two years)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yeah the things I recall about when they drafted Toney was his freakish RAS scores and his old teammate Parsons selling him hard suggesting he shouldn't have fallen that far in the draft. 

10 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I am hoping Toney and the rest of the defenses play since Chase has been out is a wake up call to him. He has a lot of time to study his play and make mental notes. Same goes for Sweat who I hope will return to play soon.

I have a hard time seeing anyone offering much for Chase right now. Sweat might be a better target if he can get back and look good with the Collins playing inspired in his new position (where he should have been the past two years)

Chase and Sweat seemed a bit full of themselves in the off season.  A lot of bravado -- among other things Sweat saying they will break the sack record.  I noticed in camp they were thick as thieves.  Rivera kept talking about maturity issues on the defense and reporters seem to piece together he was referring to both Chase and Sweat when doing so. 

I do think they will come back humbler and hungrier.  Sweat will hopefully have the chance to come back this season.  He had more sacks than Chase but he didn't have the big breakout season many expected, including myself.   Chase seems too determined to be great IMO, not to learn from this.  Granted the ACL adds to the challenge. 

• Like 5

WJ3 was really good last night.  Physical in run support too.  That felt like his best game of the year, and hopefully it's a sign that he's getting his feet under him and is comfortable in our system now.

I can handle mistakes here and there from McCain, but the effort he gave on that big play to Lockett on Seattle's first touchdown drive was inexcusable.  That guy is not a true leader.

Watching Seattle's lbers and safeties work last night was a treat.  So physical, pretty much a tackling and diagnostic and block shedding clinic.  They humbled our pass catchers and runners and linemen.  Beat them up pretty bad too, to the point that it is going to effect us next week.  Wagner and Adams are Wagner and Adams, the warrior elite the entire league.  But I had no idea that Quandre Diggs and Jordyn Brooks were that good.  I liked Brooks as a prospect--not as a first round pick--but I didn't realize he had made the leap as a player yet.  It made me antsy about Jamin's development arc, because it feels like he is really far from being that kind of player right now.

It's not a good sign that Keith Ismael was our fourth choice center, but it looked like he played pretty well last night.  Our OL group top to bottom has come through for us this year.  They've been the best position group on the team and they saved our season.  That was a way tougher match up with the Seattle front than I expected, and they found a way to win it.  Having 10+ quality dudes there has been essential as we've needed every one of them, and this is a big reason I don't want to lose Scherff.  He's the captain of the group and he's just flat out good.  That McKissic TD where he kicked out Adams was an incredible block.  Regular OLs can't stick that, not at that range and against that player, and it was one of the biggest plays of the game and a key reason we won.

Shout out to Gibson and McKissic too.  McKissic has totally won me over this season.  His instincts are off the charts good and I hope he's alright.  That was a scary moment in the game, and we definitely need him to make a playoff push.  Gutsy performance from Gibson too.  I know he was hurting after that play where he got his leg bent under him.  Lost his usual power, but he battled against a super physical defense and won the war of attrition.  He read his blocks so much better last night.  Pretty much carried the load for the offense and was a true workhorse.  We need a better third RB than Patterson though.

Anyway, rambling over, a takeaway from that game is we need difference makers wherever they may come.  Safety, OL, CB, LB, RB, WR, etc.  But I no longer think we need a QB.  I'm becoming a believer in Heinicke, and it's honestly the best I've felt about the team in 9 years.  He just works for us.  He's helped us bypass the most precarious part of the QB/OC development process.  And him working out is how we get the kind of continuity on our roster and offensive coaching staff to make the leap to contention.  IMO Taylor is how Scott Turner gets the chance to grow into his job, for instance.

And on top of that, I just don't think Corral or Howell or Pickett are good enough to be clear cut upgrades over Taylor.  Pickett might be, but he's got flaws to where Taylor + Devin Lloyd/Nakobe Dean/Kyle Hamilton/Garrett Wilson/Jordan Davis/Drake London/Treylon Burks/Ahmad Gardner >>> Pickett.  This is a big draft for us, and we have a chance to get important rookie contributors in the first three rounds.

• Like 3

Wagner is so fun to watch. Really makes me want to find that LBer for us. I think Davis will be a good LBer and I'm higher on Cole than most, but we don't have that vicious thumper, who just makes the plays that get the rest of them team siked up. We are getting such an insane push up the middle from Allen and Payne, that it's a shame we don't have anyone that can shoot those A gaps quickly.

• Like 2

Play making/shut down  DB,

QB to develop alongside TH,

Think we may look for someone as a priority to fill the Landon Collins role. Rivera has that as a key role on the D, Collins is doing a pretty decent job of late with that but I think he’ll move on in the offseason if that’s lined up for his role again next season. Plus his contract remains somewhat ugly for us.

Any of you seen any draft prospects that look strong fits for that Buffalo Nickel role?

Shed loads of cap space to try and work through in FA prior to the draft as well......

13 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Think we may look for someone as a priority to fill the Landon Collins role. Rivera has that as a key role on the D, Collins is doing a pretty decent job of late with that but I think he’ll move on in the offseason if that’s lined up for his role again next season. Plus his contract remains somewhat ugly for us.

Any of you seen any draft prospects that look strong fits for that Buffalo Nickel role?

Shed loads of cap space to try and work through in FA prior to the draft as well......

We’ve got a couple of in-house candidates at least in Forrest and Hudson.  Did Landon come back into the game?  If not, we might see what we have in those guys next game (though my guess right now would be Everett). 

I’m hoping we land at least 2 dbs in the draft - FS and a corner (would be great if they were versatile enough to play inside if need be).

G, T, and RB all look like spots we could use depth, depth we might need to lean on pretty heavily next year.  I don’t think we’re desperate for a reciever or anything, but if we managed to land a stud opposite Terry (with Samuel manning the slot mostly), that could be a nice boost for the O.  I’ve been very pleasantly surprised by Carter, but he’s more of a B level talent (ish) that has way overplayed our expectations of C- (ish) type play.

The sneaky need IMO is a DT.  Need to keep Allen/Payne fresh and if Settle walks, Io’s not enough.

45 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Isaiah Simmons.

Oh. This year.

Haven't dug deep enough.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Watching Seattle's lbers and safeties work last night was a treat.  So physical, pretty much a tackling and diagnostic and block shedding clinic.  They humbled our pass catchers and runners and linemen.  Beat them up pretty bad too, to the point that it is going to effect us next week.  Wagner and Adams are Wagner and Adams, the warrior elite the entire league.  But I had no idea that Quandre Diggs and Jordyn Brooks were that good.  I liked Brooks as a prospect--not as a first round pick--but I didn't realize he had made the leap as a player yet.  It made me antsy about Jamin's development arc, because it feels like he is really far from being that kind of player right now.

Boy did you nail this, sadly they were flying around beating up our WR's and RB's with big hits. Brooks played as good as Adams and Wagner. I would love to see that kind of play form our defenders 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 8:45 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

And on top of that, I just don't think Corral or Howell or Pickett are good enough to be clear cut upgrades over Taylor.  Pickett might be, but he's got flaws to where Taylor + Devin Lloyd/Nakobe Dean/Kyle Hamilton/Garrett Wilson/Jordan Davis/Drake London/Treylon Burks/Ahmad Gardner >>> Pickett.  This is a big draft for us, and we have a chance to get important rookie contributors in the first three rounds.

Dane Bruglers Mock 1.0 has some of those guys out of our current reach.

Lloyd, Dean, and Hamilton were all gone beforehand.  So the stud LB dream might be gone.