Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But a dude on the QB thread who has watched more of his games thinks I am on drugs and he's really just a 3rd-4th round QB.

😂. No way. 

If he goes in the 3rd or 4th ill get a dallas tattoo. And no way that happens. 

• Like 1

Walker was awesome.  That was special to watch, and I'm glad that game ended on the pick rather than that turnover on downs where Michigan St got away with a hold.

I'm not sure what to make of Aidan Hutchinson.  He's a big try-hard with decent instincts but his backfield production is just too much unblocked stuff and long pursuit plays.

Michigan defenders have been ultra overrated in the Harbaugh era.  They don't really produce at an extraordinary level in college, then they get overdrafted by several rounds, and then they continue not producing in the NFL.  Hutchinson is rightfully a first rounder, but I don't see top ten talent or production there.

Did want to say that freshman receiver Andrel Anthony blew me away though.  That guy has some jets, and that breakout performance had some Devonta Smith in it.  He looks like he's going to be a good one for Michigan.

19 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Wait, Willis is playing at the Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA? THAT Liberty University?  Isnt that an incredibly weak conference kinda diluting his high level of play?  

Yes

Yes

And yes

Putting up 62 points on UMass isn't impressive. Liberty lost to the likes of Louisiana Monroe and Syracuse. Meh. 🤷

• Haha 1

UVA’s Armstrong has a lot of attributes I like. He’s accurate, throws with anticipation, has good touch on the deep ball, a quick release, moves around the pocket well, is mobile, tough, a gamer, and has decent size. I’m not sure yet how the UVA offense he plays in may mask his deficiencies or slow his transition to the NFL, but I think this guy could do a ton of damage in a Scott Turner offense. 

All that said, he’s not in the conversation at our #1 pick, and we need to take a franchise QB with our first pick. Also, he would have far lesser supporting cast at the skill positions here, and much less creativity from the OC. so we’d likely waste his talents. 

Edited by Stormy

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Wait, Willis is playing at the Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA? THAT Liberty University?  Isnt that an incredibly weak conference kinda diluting his high level of play?  

He originally committed to Vtech and then xferred to Auburn.  Im sure some scouts will discount him but I still think he gets drafted top ten.  

If you google malik willis auburn you can read up on his story a bit. Seems like a football nerd that works hard and could elevate a franchise. 

Good runningback day.  Kyren Williams feels like a faster, more explosive, and more talented version of JD McKissic.

I thought Sam Howell actually looked pretty good tonight.  I don't like that draw game they run but he got a ton of yardage on it.  They must have seen something in ND's D on film this week, as it kept working.  That's not an NFL caliber weapon though.  He hangs tough and that deep ball is special.  It just drops right in the bucket like a perfect chip.

This dude is feeling like a buy-low candidate that could be a good option for us if we get our **** together and start winning some games.

I recorded the NC game and watched it this morning.

IMO if Howell plays like last night, he's not going to the 2nd-3rd round like some mock drafters currently believe.    I think he's a step above the other 2nd-3rd round QBs from last year for example.  Granted I have to watch more.  I watched some of his first game this season which I wasn't taken by.  And I watched some causally last year while watching other UNC prospects. 

He passes the basic test I have for QBs or at least he did last night.  For me the top one is I like Qbs whose accuracy isn't just about a sweet spot but has a wide range to it -- especially that includes the tough out route throws -- intermediate between the numbers and the far hash.  And I like QBs who can make plays with trash around their feet considering they will be dealing with that much more in the pros than college typically. 

He leads the WRs well with throws in the flat.  I wasn't much of a Daniel Jones guy before that draft but he could do one thing really well that has translated to the pros in that regard which is throw balls in the flat where he hits the receiver in stride -- which sets up YAC.  I didn't really think that skill was that hard at the time but I've learn to appreciate it more watching some of our own QBs work on those throws in training camp, and some really struggle with it.

I didn't see the body language fakes from him at the level that I saw from Mac Jones.  Part of what I dug about Mac and spoke about it plenty on the draft thread last off season was I loved how he sold play action.  Great play fakes.  He'd move his shoulder left but then reshift right.  Look at one receiver to redirect the safety but then throw to the other side.  Stuff like that.  Howell's body language on that front IMO was just OK, nothing striking. 

He didn't really air it out much last night but in the past I've seen he can put nice air-arc on the deep ball.  He has good touch typically though sometimes he misses and puts too much mustard on throws in the flat.   He is fearless in the pocket which I like.  Tough guy.

I am not so sure his running will translate as well to the NFL.   In that regard, he reminds me of Mayfield who was more dangerous in college with his legs than the pros.   It's hard for me to explain why I feel that way.  I used to run track in high school, and I am not bad at gauging speed.  There is some stiffness to how he runs.  His best attribute on that front is he's decisive so he gets a good first step on the defender but I am not so sure he will be as elusive against the quicker defenders in the NFL.   

On another note, Josh Downs looks like he can be special, Drew Brees who was a broadcaster on that game, couldn't shut up about him.   But that would be the 2023 draft.

Going back to Howell, if he plays like last night, I wouldn't hate it at all.  QBs tend to rise not fall.  So to me he looked like a guy who can go in the mid first round.  He doesn't IMO have that one killer attribute but has a nice range of skills.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Howell is a first round quarterback. He’s more of a first rounder than Willis. 

Willis will also go in the first though. People will use Lamar and Josh Allen as comps for career trajectory and style. 

Howell is still in the conversation. I think he’s better than Pickett despite the numbers differential. He’s sturdier than Corral, though Corral is a better player.

Howell is a very serious contender to be QB1 still. I bet he winds up 2 or 3 ultimately drafted.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Howell is a first round quarterback. 

Agree.

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He’s more of a first rounder than Willis. 

I got to watch Willis more.  His ceiling is so high and some of those type players have panned out in the pros as you mentioned.  Next week versus Ole miss is a big one for him. 

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Howell is still in the conversation. I think he’s better than Pickett despite the numbers differential. He’s sturdier than Corral, though Corral is a better player.

I am close to the same mindset.  I am not so sure about Howell > Pickett but to me its at least a conversation/debate unlike what most mock draft guys seem to think.   Corral would be my guy still but his durability remains a concern -- considering his style of play and size.

All three of them have three things in common which I dig:  composure in the pocket, wheels, accuracy.  Corral to me is the most electric of the three.  But all three in some ways are somewhat of the same type of brand.

The things about Pickett that make pause were he wasn't this good in previous seasons, and is an oldish QB relatively speaking coming out of the draft, and those small hands.  

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Howell is a very serious contender to be QB1 still. I bet he winds up 2 or 3 ultimately drafted.

The seperator beyond the obvious which is how they play the rest of the season might be intangibles.    I like what i have read about Corral on that front but I wonder if he can reign in his emotions which from what i've read he's had to work on over his career and its gotten him in trouble.  As for Howell from the little I read, a quiet, serious dude, works hard. 

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/UNC-football-Sam-Howell-quarterback-Growing-as-a-Leader-135763891/

"I noticed it in Miami. He started coming into his own a little bit. But even last week vs. Wake Forest, he realized he is QB1 and he has to speak up... It is very important because the opponent doesn't care about age. So I think him realizing that is going to help him out."

While running back Michael Carter may be the most vocal player on the team and someone that players turn to for energy, while seniors like Aaron Crawford, Myles Dorn, and Carl Tucker provide senior leadership, a team's quarterback has to be a leader.

"I have (noticed that Howell has become a more vocal leader)," sophomore wide receiver Dyami Brown said. "Before he was just sitting back and he'd watch. After (the Wake Forest game) he took full responsibility for the loss, I think that is a big step. You can't just put one game on yourself, because it is a whole team. He has taken a step forward with leadership because he is more vocal and taking the action to be more vocal."

A naturally quiet guy, the early take on Howell has been his composure and steadiness. He is the same way in practice as he is on the field and with the media. But learning when to step forward and be a leader in moments when the team needs it is a big part of his development.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Yes. My biggest concern with him. Along with his horrid release. 

Carson Strong is another guy to keep an eye on besides Pickett IMO. He isnt getting any love in here either. But he has everything you are looking for in an NFL QB. Good arm, incredible processing speed, elite pocket awareness and release. Obviously not elite athletically though. Watch tape of him progressing through reads. 

As I have been saying for a few weeks now there are a ton of 1st and 2nd round QB prospects in this draft. No Manning available. But a ton of guys that could be good NFL starters. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

That's the disclaimer.  it could happen on occasion.  See Josh Allen at Wyoming, Romo Eastern illinois, Flacco Delaware,  among others. 

19 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Yes. My biggest concern with him. Along with his horrid release. 

Carson Strong is another guy to keep an eye on besides Pickett IMO. He isnt getting any love in here either. But he has everything you are looking for in an NFL QB. Good arm, incredible processing speed, elite pocket awareness and release. Obviously not elite athletically though. Watch tape of him progressing through reads. 

As I have been saying for a few weeks now there are a ton of 1st and 2nd round QB prospects in this draft. No Manning available. But a ton of guys that could be good NFL starters. 

I haven’t watched Strong but the knee is a major concern. He also forces things at times. I do like him though but not for a top 8 pick

• Like 1