Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I watched my share of Corral when watching Ole Miss players before the last draft and commented a little on him back then.   He has some Favre style playmaking in him.  but wow some of his picks were atrocious.  He needs IMO to learn how to settle down as for his decision making but he's talented. 

Haven't watched all that much of Corral but I don't remember being super impressed with what I did see last season. Went back and watched a couple cutups and...still not very impressed. 

Plenty of talent. Strong arm, athletic, good mobility. But while he has a big arm, he's not very accurate with it. I lost count of the number of off-target balls he threw. IMO he also has slow footwork and a long-ish windup to his delivery.

And as far as decision making...oof. Yeah he can make some great plays and can get hot, but when he's bad...he's bad. Watched a cutup of his game vs Arkansas and it was brutal. 6 interceptions and all of them just horrible decisions. And there were another 2 that hit defenders in the hands but they dropped.

Interested to see how he plays this season. As of now I could see him as a high upside guy a team might take a flyer on with a mid round pick but for me there are just too many holes in his game for anything higher at the moment.

Edited by mistertim

44 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

The first thing I thought when I saw the ten million dollar sign is that we won’t have to give up any draft picks. That’s great news. 

I know what you mean BUT...

I hate to say it, but I think the dumpster-fire culture of the past should have cost this franchise at least a 3rd. 

:229:The Rook

14 hours ago, The Rook said:

I know what you mean BUT...

I hate to say it, but I think the dumpster-fire culture of the past should have cost this franchise at least a 3rd.

Draft pick penalties are usually the result of something that happened on the field.  The only other instance I can think of where bad behavior at a higher level than football operations was penalized was when Jerry Richardson was forced out of Carolina.  I think the NFL seeks to go after the perpetrators of stuff like this directly.  In this case, the team had already fired everyone who was subject to alleged misconduct and Snyder himself got ahead of the axe by instituting almost all of the changes the league would have recommended on his own, and by agreeing to step back from daily operations.

• Like 1

Also, who would vote for their team to lose draft picks? We already got rid of Bruce and have a great coach. We appear to have a great new culture from top to bottom. We have a very good roster that just needs a QB. We have cap room for a few years. if this wouldn’t satisfy someone looking for change, only a change of owners would. And a 3rd round pick, hell, a 1st round pick wouldn’t do that. 

Even if we don’t find a QB. I’d love to see how this roster looks with one more big FA and one more really good draft. 

• Thanks 1

Was watching this for their explosive LT #79, but the reps of RB #7 also stood out as being on a different level from the rest of their pass catchers and ball carriers:

Can't find any cut ups of Zonovan Knight yet, but he has some interesting traits.  Speed and acceleration are going to be among the best in the class, perhaps the best.  Looks like a 49ers style player.  Super decisive one cut runner.  Strong with inside zone runs, legitimately dangerous on outside zone and toss plays because of his speed to the edge and burst out of his cuts.  Not a natural at making guys miss and he's not the most creative or pacey runner.  Vision looks average and he's not patient, pretty much plays with just two speeds.  Doesn't house as many runs as he could because he doesn't excel in one on one open field situations.  The creativity isn't quite there, the ability to chain moves and cuts is nothing special.  But he does have some natural balance and power so perhaps he could get a little better here over time.  I want to see him put some durability concerns aside and carry the load for a season too before I completely buy in to his stock.

But he reminds me of JK Dobbins some, and I think he's potentially a clean fit for our offense.

79 is intriguing though.  Obviously a gifted puller and move blocker.  Very fluid for his size.  Hands are completely raw, but heavy.  Looks like he gets by on a combo of foot speed and power and doesn't have to do a ton of traditional pass setting in their offense.  Arms look pretty long, and carries his weight well.  Naturally aggressive block finisher who likes to take guys to the ground.  Looks like a candidate to move inside to OG in the NFL.  I'm looking at him as a potential Scherff replacement and right now I'm thinking second round, unless he puts it together this year and is truly consistent and dominant, in which case he has a chance to go in the first.

• Like 3

I can see Howell going first.  He resembles Mayfield enough that it draws a pretty clear picture of his draft ceiling being that high.

Could see Thibadeaux going first too.  He's pretty much been the biggest talent in the class going back to H.S. and he has been dominant in college.  It's too high for Singleton, so Thibadeaux makes more sense.

I've been a big Battle fan since watching him stand out in high school on his loaded STA team when they played a loaded Deerfield team. Future D1 players everywhere and he was the best that night. Just another South Florida stud that Saban came and took back to Tuscaloosa with him.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bruce Feldman published his 2021 freaks list.  It's one of my favorite articles of the year.  He has some stars like Kyle Hamilton and Tyler Linderbaum and Christian Harris and Derek Stingley near the top this year, and Evan Neal is his #1 freak.  Basically, Neal has the best lower body power the Alabama strength coaches have ever seen.  He's going to get Jonathan Ogden comps from the draftniks in the spring.

Three VA programs had QBs who made the list: Liberty with Harris, VT with Burmeister, and little old ODU with Stone Smartt.  That's pretty exciting, could be a good season for teams from the Commonwealth.

• Like 1

He doesn't look 350 at all.  Really well put together athlete who is just naturally huge.  One thing I learned from Feldman's article is the interesting way their strength coaches measure leg power.  It sounds really scientific: they somehow measure the force that his jumps produce in watts, and then contextualized his measurements as basically being half again better than the most powerful jumps of anyone else in their program.

Sounds like he's got some of the strongest legs in the sport, and that's what gives him such tremendous speed and functional power.  He's going to make Mekhi Becton look ordinary.

I can't ever remember such a run of offensive tackles as we've gotten in the 20-22 draft classes.  It's the most athletic group I've heard of.  It's actually kind of worrisome that they're getting so big and fast, just from a standpoint of preventing catastrophic injuries.  And it's also going to make the body type necessary to succeed as an edge rusher even more restrictive.  We're lucky we got Chase Young.

• Like 2