Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

3 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

Oh absolutely.  I’m not denying the talent or potential impact BW could have here.  I’m merely stating the WFT have been building primarily thru the draft, shunning the shiny object approach.  Less we forget how the shiny object approach got us where we are.  Building thru the draft takes time.  You are gonna miss.  When you miss on a pick, it doesn’t cripple you financially like a fa does. When you build thru fa, you can’t establish and maintain a team identity.  

we’re trying to establish our identity.  OUR identity.  Retreads really shouldn’t apply

Ok but this is the free agency thread. Good teams make move on both ends, draft and FA. When you miss on a 1st round pick it absolutely hurts your team, and we missed on Davis. Now we have to spend Cap space on a veteran or the LBer unit will not see improvement next year and that will be a very bad thing. 

Bobby Wagner is not a retread. He is a bad ass mother ****er and he proved that in the game we played against Seattle this year. We need a QB on the defense. We need a veteran leader. 

Our defensive identity was supposed to be our defensive line and they didn’t come through. We need someone to bridge the defense together so that all three phases are working in unison. We can’t afford to spend another first round pick on a linebacker. Not this year. 

Again, London Flethcher was that guy, he made the defense a whole into working together. He was the QB of the defense. He helped to form and identity for the defense. You can bring in free agents to help establish your identity. It just has to be the right ones.

• Like 2

The Leno deal shows IMO that they can wrap up deals and are fair about it.  I do believe Rivera when he said last year that they wanted to get something done with Scherff.  And I do believe the report that they made an offer to Scherff that would have made him the highest paid guard in the league and he turned it down.

I don't mind Scherff or any player wanting to go to whatever team pays him the most.  But I think he miscalculated.  The Browns signed Teller who is younger and arguably even better than Scherff and took if I recall 12 million a year recently.  If Scherff was offered the highest salary for a guard that would have put him in the 16 million range.

I doubt he gets that now with him headed to his 30s and with another season that shows he can't stay healthy.    Scherff likes to say he loves Rivera and wants to be here but implies its up to the agent not him.  But as Brian Mitchell likes to say, that's BS, the agent works for the player, if a player want to get a deal done, he can get it done.  I know players don't like to be honest publicly on contracts and I get why. 

But it would be refreshing to hear a player tell the truth and just say look there are some players who do want to genuinely stay with a team but that's not their main thing.  Their main thing is to get the most money as they can. And they'll play for any team that pays them the most.   

And again I don't blame them.  But I cringe each time I hear Scherff say he loves it here and would love to stay because if that were really true it would have happened.   Though in his defense you probably have to say that even when you don't mean it. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Leno deal shows IMO that they can wrap up deals and are fair about it.  I do believe Rivera when he said last year that they wanted to get something done with Scherff.  And I do believe the report that they made an offer to Scherff that would have made him the highest paid guard in the league and he turned it down.

I don't mind Scherff or any player wanting to go to whatever team pays him the most.  But I think he miscalculated.  The Browns signed Teller who is younger and arguably even better than Scherff and took if I recall 12 million a year recently.  If Scherff was offered the highest salary for a guard that would have put him in the 16 million range.

I doubt he gets that now with him headed to his 30s and with another season that shows he can't stay healthy.    Scherff likes to say he loves Rivera and wants to be here but implies its up to the agent not him.  But as Brian Mitchell likes to say, that's BS, the agent works for the player, if a player want to get a deal done, he can get it done.  I know players don't like to be honest publicly on contracts and I get why. 

But it would be refereshing to hear a player tell the truth and just say look there are some players who do want to genuinely stay with a team but that's not my main thing.  My main thing is to get the most money as I can. I'll play for any team that pays me the most.   And again I don't blame them.  But I cringe each time I hear Scherff say he loves it here and would want to stay because if that were really true it would have happened. 

Remember that Leno said Rivera was a big reason he signed here in the first place. Given the season he just had, I felt he would stay

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

The McCain loves about him being a smart player is reminding me of comments last off season with Bostic  ☹️

Very happy with the Leno signing and hoping to hear McKissic next

I think he's a clear peg better than Bostic.    It's a spot where you need depth.   But I still definitely want a stud FS, McCain IMO isnt that.

1 minute ago, method man said:

Remember that Leno said Rivera was a big reason he signed here in the first place. Given the season he just had, I felt he would stay

Yep.  You also got multiple comments from Scherff about love playing in Washington and loving Rivera. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think he's a clear peg better than Bostic.    It's a spot where you need depth.   But I still definitely want a stud FS, McCain IMO isnt that.

Signing to a depth spot is okay. Signing him as more is what scares me

40 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Saw on the ESPN scroll, while watching Ole Miss cover in hoops, that Wagner is optimistic about staying in Seattle.  Take that for what it’s worth.

Yeah on the Leno signing.

Noticed this too, hopefully just him saying what needs to be said.  I could see him restructuring his contract if he does want to stay though.

Have to believe Rivera would go all in on bringing Wagner here. That would be monumental for the defense and a sign finally that Ron feels the team is ready to roll. Don’t want to deal with another year of him shoulder shrugging losses due to the team growing and learning

That’s a great move to get Leno tied in. We did a similar things this time last year with Roullier.

Would be good to pick through a couple of others and get them signed up.

Then get Terry Mc done and announce that at the time of the new Uni’s launch in February......

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

said earlier, announcing a new deal for Terry Mc in our newly released uniforms is something I could see happening.

as for the WR market, the Davante Adams situation should be a telling one there, with the franchise tag looming for him...

• Like 2