Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy. Proud Boys join the club)

Cooked Crack

The other day, one of the other ones who didn't appear for sentencing. Scott McFarlane posted about it, and i replied in the thread that I didn't know why we didnt throw them in jail til sentencing, and i further went on to say that if crowding was a problem, to stop feeding them, and the problem will eventually go away.

I expected the usual MAGAts, but i was thoroughly unprepared for the onslaught of people calling me all sorts of names for calling for making prisoners eat each other.
I figured I'd seen stupid before, but...   holy ****.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Haha 2

Bradenton man stormed the Capitol with his parents on Jan. 6, DOJ says

A Bradenton man was arrested Wednesday in connection to the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol.

A release from the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) stated John Schubert, III, 47, was accused of helping his parents break into the Capitol building and allegedly assaulting a police officer.

Schubert’s parents, Amy Schubert and John Schubert Jr., pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of trespassing and disorderly conduct in 2021. The Illinois couple was sentenced to 18 months of probation, $500 in restitution and 100 hours of community service, on top of a fine, according to a report from Nexstar’s WGN.

An anonymous tip pointed federal investigators to the Schuberts. A search of Amy Schubert’s Google account revealed photos taken by the couple inside the Capitol and location data showing they were there the time of the unrest.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

More (emphasis is mine, not Katie's lol)...

State: Powell is seeking non-discoverable, attorney work product. But she cannot get that simply b/c she thinks she's entitled to it. It's work product not subject to discovery.

State: Powell has made false representations to this Court: Her attorney makes a claim that, under Brady, they don't have materials in their possession, but how can he use the same thing he says he doesn't have as an exhibit attached to a motion that he files the same day?

State: We don't have to point to what is the defense's best and worst evidence in the discovery that we have turned over to the other side. We don't have an obligation to do more than what we have reasonably done already in an organized fashion.

Powell's atty: I see a folder that says "Coffee County" and then I find things dealing with Coffee County in another folder of the State's Discovery.

State: We still haven't heard what is difficult for the defense to navigate. We have turned over a lot of discovery, but we haven't hid anything from the other side.

Powell's atty: Chesebro's lawyers have given me the law that says that b/c GBI has been sharing data with the DA's Office, then the DA has to turn over that information. the State won't respond to my specific requests. The GBI had information that was favorable to Powell prior to the DA seeking an indictment.

^^

Court: Both sides vigorously believe in the strength of their cases. When two sides believe this, that's why we have a jury trial system. At this point, Powell's Motion to Dismiss Indictment re Prosecutorial Misconduct is DENIED.

• Haha 2

Man who attacked Capitol with tomahawk and now promotes Jan. 6 merchandise gets 7 years in prison

WASHINGTON (AP) — A Texas man who attacked the U.S. Capitol with a metal tomahawk — and is now the face of a website selling merchandise portraying jailed rioters as “political prisoners” — was sentenced Friday to seven years behind bars.

Shane Jenkins, 46, tried to smash a Capitol window with his tomahawk during the Jan. 6, 2021, siege. He also repeatedly threw makeshift weapons at police officers, hurling a desk drawer, a flagpole, a metal walking stick and a wooden pole with a spear-like point.

A website touts Jenkins as the founder of a group that seeks to “shed light on the January 6th defendants and the treatment they have faced from the government.” The website sells T-shirts, hoodies, hats, tote bags and other merchandise with Jan. 6-themed slogans, including “Free the J6 political prisoners” and “Want my vote? Help the J6ers.” Another shirt for sale features former President Donald Trump's mugshot over the words “Indicted we stand.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-attacked-capitol-tomahawk-now-224237050.html

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Just some general musings 

It's good (and surprising) to read about people who literally stormed the capitol getting what I think of as "real" prison time for their actions. Glad to see it. 

But

While those people's actions are violent and ugly and make damning video clips....  Let's face it. They were never a threat. On a scale of threat to the nation itself, there were more like taking over a bird sanctuary or Occupy Wall Street. 

The people who actually were a threat?  Those folks weren't climbing the walls dressed like Fred Flintstone. The real threats were inside the building. 

Those people actually had a chance of succeeding. 

And while the "rioters" are heading off to jail, those people are chairing congressional "investigations", and pushing their desire for more power.

They're not in jail. They're not convicted. Heck, except in Georgia, they're not even being prosecuted. 

• Like 7

The Ordinary Americans Who Beat the FBI at Finding January 6 Rioters

A group of online sleuths tried to help the government—despite roadblocks at every stage.

In the fall of 2016—years before his supporters laid siege to the Capitol in an effort to overturn the 2020 presidential election results—Donald Trump was hedging his bets against a potential loss. Less than a month before that year’s presidential election, he ominously warned his supporters in Pennsylvania that “we have to make sure that this election is not stolen from us, and is not taken away from us.” Days later, he wrote on Twitter that the “election is absolutely being rigged,” claiming that the “dishonest and distorted media” was unfairly promoting his rival—former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. If she won, he suggested, the result would be illegitimate.

Some of his most fervent disciples decided to follow what they saw as Trump’s call to action. Curtis Allen, a Kansas resident in his late forties, had joined the military after the September 11 terrorist attacks. In 2016, he spent much of his time on Facebook sharing right-wing memes, while serving as a commander in the so-called Kansas Security Force, a far-right militia movement. Convinced that Clinton was going to snatch up the election, he and a small group of other Kansas Security Force members planned what NBC News journalist Ryan J. Reilly contends “would have been one of the worst domestic terrorist attacks in American history.”

The assault was tweeted, posted, and streamed by the rioters, who engaged in self-incrimination with a wink and a boast. These are the images that have been used to identify rioters and that have served as the most critical evidence in federal trials.

The greatest tool the FBI had at its disposal was a range of citizen sleuths, eager to sort through the mountain of digital evidence. Soon after the attacks, a sort of internet neighborhood watch arose, naming and flagging insurrectionists for the Justice Department. “The internet is both to blame for January 6 and responsible for helping to solve it,” argues Reilly. Sedition Hunters is named for the cadre of largely anonymous Americans radicalized into action by the insurrection—not to follow former President Donald Trump’s efforts to overturn the election but to identify the thousands of rioters who used his words as an excuse to breach the Capitol.

There’s the twentysomething who entraps insurrectionists on a dating app in a modern-day honeypot scheme, the mom who uses her Facebook stalking skills in the name of justice, and the suburban dad who spends the weekend in his garage developing an app to help identify rioters. This app, and other “open-source tools,” allowed the sleuths “to organize and quickly point the FBI to open-source information on the internet that the bureau could check out and vet themselves,” Reilly writes.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

DOJ appeals sentences of Proud Boys members

The Justice Department on Monday appealed the sentences of five members of the Proud Boys, including its former leader, Enrique Tarrio, aiming to get stiffer penalties for those convicted for their role in the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol.

Tarrio, Ethan Nordean, Joseph Biggs and Zachary Rehl were convicted of seditious conspiracy in connection with the attack, while Dominic Pezzola was found guilty of other charges.

While each of the four men convicted of seditious conspiracy received sentences of at least 15 years in prison — Tarrio’s sentence was 22 years — many of the figures fell far below what was originally sought by prosecutors.

The notice of appeal does not include any legal arguments, and instead alerts the court to prosecutors’ plans.

• Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Kansas City-area Proud Boy pleads guilty in Jan. 6 attack on Capitol

A Kansas City-area Proud Boys member who joined others from the far-right group in attacking the U.S. Capitol pleaded guilty Monday to obstructing the joint session of Congress for certifying Joe Biden’s 2020 electoral victory.

William Chrestman, 49, also pleaded guilty to threatening to assault a federal officer during the riot at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.

U.S. District Judge Timothy Kelly is scheduled to sentence Chrestman for his two felony convictions on Jan. 12. Estimated sentencing guidelines for his case recommended a prison term ranging from four years and three months to five years and three months.

The Olathe, Kansas, man brought an axe handle, gas mask, helmet and other tactical gear when he traveled to Washington, D.C., with other Proud Boys members from the Kansas City area.

On Jan. 6, he marched to the Capitol grounds with dozens of other Proud Boys leaders, members and associates.

Chrestman and other Proud Boys moved past a toppled metal barricade and joined other rioters in front of another police barrier. He shouted a threat at officers and yelled at others in the crowd to stop police from arresting another rioter, according to prosecutors.