Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brandon Scherff makes AP First Team All-Pro

Burgundy Yoda

14 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Congratulations to him, he is a fantastic player.

But this is going to make him more expensive.  He is going to be more expensive now than he would have been last offseason.  Not working an extension out with him then was an easily avoidable mistake.

I hear you, but I can also see the appeal in 1) evaluating the team first - it might not have made sense depending on what they discovered about the other team needs - 2) hoping to land a potential successor in the draft (or elsewhere), 4) getting a first hand look at how he fit the culture, 4) seeing how his health held up (larger sample size).  I believe he wanted 15/year last year, maybe he wants a few mil more, maybe he’s happy with his situation and it winds up in the 15 range.

• 6 months later...

I suppose the question is this....is Scherff the best RG on the team? I only say this because I thought Moses was the best RT on the team. Rivera has repeatedly said that he is going to play the best 11. I realize the long term deal was not done partly due to the current salary cap. I mean if Brandon signs a deal this year, he'd be locked into to a lower contract overall than comparable or lessor guards signing deals next year. To me, this is a just bad timing. But what if Rivera and Matsko decide Cosmi has won the job? What if (one of the guys they brought in) Wes Schweitzer and Flowers ball out in camp? I really didn't see a significant drop off when Scherff was out of the lineup. And this year, I wouldn't have an issue with either of the above guys. I didn't even mention (the mauler IMO), Saahdiq Charles. I get that he was selected as an AP and has made the pro bowl. Personally, I only take AP into account. And to that, I like Scherff and think he's a good player. Is he an impact player? I don't think so tbh.  

Now with all that said, Scott Turner had this to say about Brandon:

"Brandon's toughness, his consistency and then just the resiliency that he shows dealing with that injury early in the year, being able to come back," ....."He's just been a steady rock. Him and Morgan playing on that right side together -- obviously, Morgan moved over to left tackle for the Dallas game. Those guys working together, playing together, and then obviously Chase [Roullier] at center. Those are the leaders up front for us. They've done a great job, Brandon in particular. He brings it every day. He's the same guy, the toughness, the blue-collar mentality. It helps, energizes and drives our team."

Moses was released with time on his contract so there is that. But like Rich Tandler used to say, watch what they do, not what they say. We'll see.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

I suppose the question is this....is Scherff the best RG on the team? I only say this because I thought Moses was the best RT on the team. Rivera has repeatedly said that he is going to play the best 11. I realize the long term deal was not done partly due to the current salary cap. I mean if Brandon signs a deal this year, he'd be locked into to a lower contract overall than comparable or lessor guards signing deals next year. To me, this is a just bad timing. But what if Rivera and Matsko decide Cosmi has won the job? What if (one of the guys they brought in) Wes Schweitzer and Flowers ball out in camp? I really didn't see a significant drop off when Scherff was out of the lineup. And this year, I wouldn't have an issue with either of the above guys. I didn't even mention (the mauler IMO), Saahdiq Charles. I get that he was selected as an AP and has made the pro bowl. Personally, I only take AP into account. And to that, I like Scherff and think he's a good player. Is he an impact player? I don't think so tbh.  

Now with all that said, Scott Turner had this to say about Brandon:

"Brandon's toughness, his consistency and then just the resiliency that he shows dealing with that injury early in the year, being able to come back," ....."He's just been a steady rock. Him and Morgan playing on that right side together -- obviously, Morgan moved over to left tackle for the Dallas game. Those guys working together, playing together, and then obviously Chase [Roullier] at center. Those are the leaders up front for us. They've done a great job, Brandon in particular. He brings it every day. He's the same guy, the toughness, the blue-collar mentality. It helps, energizes and drives our team."

Moses was released with time on his contract so there is that. But like Rich Tandler used to say, watch what they do, not what they say. We'll see.

Yeah there is no way Scherff isn't the best RG on the team. He's arguably the 2nd best player all around on the entire team. No amount of balling out the other guys do will allow them to catch up to Scherff and Cosmi is going to play T(either left or right is TBD but we didn't draft him in the 2nd to play G).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joeken24 said:

I really didn't see a significant drop off when Scherff was out of the lineup.

You didn't think the OL was a sieve when Wes Martin replaced him?

For the other part I didn't quote.  "Watch what they do not what they say".  They gave him 18 million to play for 1 year knowing there's no long term deal happening.

They think he's really good.  But, they also know his age.  We've gotten his prime years, and who knows how long that prime lasts with his nagging injuries.

If we aren't going crazy in FA, then he nets us a 3rd round comp pick.  And the money not spent on him in 2022 and beyond, then goes to the DL, McLaurin, Fitzpatrick (if he pulls a Rich Gannon), Bobby McCain if he fits perfectly with our defense.

Btw, I'm expecting us to franchise Logan Thomas in 2022.  The TE franchise number is low enough why wouldn't we?  It was 9.6 million in 2021, only RB was less.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah there is no way Scherff isn't the best RG on the team. He's arguably the 2nd best player all around on the entire team. No amount of balling out the other guys do will allow them to catch up to Scherff and Cosmi is going to play T(either left or right is TBD but we didn't draft him in the 2nd to play G).

We'll see. I'm not down on Scherff. But I definitely don't see him as the 2nd best player on the team. But you did say arguably so there is that. Bottom line for me is that Scherff will not be here next year. If that is the case why would the team not look to the guys they brought in this year? As a matter of fact, why even allow him to play if you have even remotely comparable talent under contract? They went out and got two starting linemen from other teams. That has to account for something. Starters are not coming to teams to play backup. Jus sayin'. Remember Scherff was not drafted by this regime, just like Moses wasn't. The team was 3-13 when Rivera come here. So last year was an audition for everyone. I am very excited to see what happens in training camp. Hopefully for Scherff, he plays well enough for the team to have to seriously consider signing him to a long term deal. If he wants to stay here, he'll re-sign.

BTW, the majority of linemen we have was a college LT draft pick converted to another position on the line, including Scherff. Not far fetched at all to see Cosmi inside. 

4 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

We'll see. I'm not down on Scherff. But I definitely don't see him as the 2nd best player on the team. But you did say arguably so there is that. Bottom line for me is that Scherff will not be here next year. If that is the case why would the team not look to the guys they brought in this year? As a matter of fact, why even allow him to play if you have even remotely comparable talent under contract? They went out and got two starting linemen from other teams. That has to account for something. Starters are not coming to teams to play backup. Jus sayin'. Remember Scherff was not drafted by this regime, just like Moses wasn't. The team was 3-13 when Rivera come here. So last year was an audition for everyone. I am very excited to see what happens in training camp. Hopefully for Scherff, he plays well enough for the team to have to seriously consider signing him to a long term deal. If he wants to stay here, he'll re-sign.

BTW, the majority of linemen we have was a college LT draft pick converted to another position on the line, including Scherff. Not far fetched at all to see Cosmi inside. 

So what exactly are you suggesting? We're not benching Brandon Scherff. He's an All Pro lineman, that would be absurd. Its too late to trade him now. We play him for this year, we owe it to everyone to play the best players and it makes no sense to bench a guy on franchise tag money.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

So what exactly are you suggesting? We're not benching Brandon Scherff. He's an All Pro lineman, that would be absurd. Its too late to trade him now. We play him for this year, we owe it to everyone to play the best players and it makes no sense to bench a guy on franchise tag money.

I am definitely not suggesting that. Jumping to conclusions is not good for anyone btw. What I am saying is that Rivera doesn't strike me as a guy that cares about titles. All-pro is a title or phrase base on the past. Much like Dogecoin to the moon was. Throw some money at that coin based on the past and see where it gets you. I do believe Scherff will win the position based on performance. But I think its absurd to reference titles or pay to validate that position. I also think there is going to be competition at all positions and its not going to be given. But to your point, if they are willing to give him franchise money, they clearly think highly of him. But that's as far as it goes IMO. If Scherff decides to chill this year or make business decisions in order to stay healthy for that big payday, he's got legitimate comp waiting in the wings to replace him this year. Again, we'll see.

Terrible decision to give Sherff the Franchise Tag again in my opinion, if we were not signing him to a LTD then they should have let him go and get a 3rd round pick for him. when he goes next year we'll get nothing for him due to us more than likely signing free agents ourselves. 18m for Sherff and the rest of the OL getting about 21m all together, first mistake by Rivera and Co since he became coach in my opinion. 

HTTRedspears 

• Like 2

On 1/10/2021 at 4:51 AM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I expect him back. I think we get an amicable deal down. Not exactly a home town discount, but I think it’ll be a reasonable contract for both sides. 5year/70mil.

We’ve created an environment that players will want to be part of. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/saints/.amp/news/ryan-ramczyk-saints-reach-contract-extension

A right tackle just signed (2 weeks ago) for 5 years $96M with $60M in guarantees.

You still think he’s going to sign a ‘reasonable’ contract? 🙂

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Terrible decision to give Sherff the Franchise Tag again in my opinion, if we were not signing him to a LTD then they should have let him go and get a 3rd round pick for him. when he goes next year we'll get nothing for him due to us more than likely signing free agents ourselves. 18m for Sherff and the rest of the OL getting about 21m all together, first mistake by Rivera and Co since he became coach in my opinion. 

HTTRedspears 

In hindsight, it isn't as bad as all that. Yeah, he costs 18mil for the year, but it's not like he's an unknown free agent. His 18mil is probably right at what he's asking per year on a LTD, so it's not like we would have saved money had we done the extension. He was a known commodity at the time we tagged him, and RR more than likely did it knowing it would be his last year, but needed to concentrate on FA, which I applaud him for doing. 

It may seem like a crap situation to some, but it was handled way better than the Trent Williams situation(on both sides). And I just read yesterday that even with the 18mil this year, we will have had Scherff for 7yrs-66mil, which is pretty good. With this being a contract year for BS, he's gonna have to play his ass off and stay healthy, which is good for us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, markmills67 said:

HTTRedspears 

I doubt we would have gotten a 3rd round comp pick for him.  We signed multiple 10+ million FA's, one of those likely would have cancelled out the comp pick.

If we spend money next off-season re-signing our guys and go with more bargain deals in FA, then we'd still get the comp pick for Scherff.

• Thanks 1

Ehhh. An OL is a Wall and the DL/LB are water. No matter how strong parts of your wall are, the water will always flow to the weakest points and attack accordingly. Having 1 A Caliber lineman, 1 B, 2 C, and 1 D most always results in the C/D getting attacked.

I much rather have a bunch of B/B- caliber lineman that play together give your team enough time and space to execute.

• Like 1

I know we have to resign a bunch of guys.  But I'd still be surprised if we end up with a 3rd comp pick for Scherff.  That would mean they make no big time FA signings in 2022.  Under Bruce that was possible because he mostly went with cheap FAs, most of whom busted.  But I am getting the impression Rivera likes to swing for the fences on a player or two in FA. 

I guess its possible in this regard, maybe they sign a couple of really good players in the 4th round comp range.  Will see.  But for me its at least seriously on the table we get nothing for Scherff. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Die Hard said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/saints/.amp/news/ryan-ramczyk-saints-reach-contract-extension

A right tackle just signed (2 weeks ago) for 5 years $96M with $60M in guarantees.

Ryan Ramczyk just turned 27 in April.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31823674/carolina-panthers-ot-taylor-moton-reach-four-year-72m-extension-sources-say

Moton, 26, became the starting right tackle in 2018 and has started every game for Carolina over the past three seasons.

The Carolina Panthers and offensive tackle Taylor Moton agreed to a mammoth four-year, $72 million extension that includes $43 million guaranteed at signing, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Thursday.

His new deal -- at an average of $18 million per season -- ties him with Philadelphia's Lane Johnson for second among NFL right tackles and sixth overall among all offensive tackles.

• Like 2

Interesting numbers.

I have a hard time thinking a guard - even coming off All Pro  year - who turns 30 at the end of this year and has a history of injuries is going to get any better than those numbers.

I could actually see a scenario where Brandon goes to FA, realizes WFT has the best offer after all, he resigns and reminds us that he said he wanted to be here all along. And to save face, he'll tell us he had a couple of better offers on the table.

• Like 3

Another thing about Scherff is that IMO this is really the first season he's truly played at an elite level. Prior to that he was very good top 10 guy, but not top 3. If I were a team that would also be something that worried me a bit. So there's age + injury history + only one real elite season out of 6. 

I'm kinda wondering if he's overestimating how much other teams might give him next season and is overplaying his hand as a result.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Die Hard said:

No that ship has clearly sailed :806:

I was going to quote the Moton deal just signed but see you have picked up on that too.

I mean, good luck to Scherff finding a massive deal next offseason, that may not be as easy as he thinks. Got to stay healthy this season for a start, then as many have said, what really is a RG the wrong side of 30 looking to obtain in a deal?

I’m actually disappointed we’ve tagged him again and have failed to reach terms. It’s a waste of cap space. Not the full 18mil because you need to pay someone at the position, but we’ve wasted 8-12mil in space with that tag move. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 9:04 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

I know we have to resign a bunch of guys.  But I'd still be surprised if we end up with a 3rd comp pick for Scherff.  That would mean they make no big time FA signings in 2022.  Under Bruce that was possible because he mostly went with cheap FAs, most of whom busted.  But I am getting the impression Rivera likes to swing for the fences on a player or two in FA. 

I guess its possible in this regard, maybe they sign a couple of really good players in the 4th round comp range.  Will see.  But for me its at least seriously on the table we get nothing for Scherff. 

You could well be right.  On the other hand, the only spots I see as unsettled going into next year are FS (McCain will be a FA), RG to replace Scherff (though Charles might take that role) and tackle (again, could be Charles or we could re-sign Leno or Lucas).  Doubtful we land a FA qb (as opposed to re-signing Fitz or drafting/trading for one).

Of course, to your point, this staff has shown a propensity to really attack weaker roster spots…

24 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Don't forget about Cosimi. Apparently, he was the reason they let Moses go. I'm really interested seeing how he does. We have three good/decent tackles going into training camp in a couple weeks.

IMO putting a guy with the kind of freakish combination of size, length and athleticism that Cosmi has at Guard would be a waste. He may need some technique clean up but his ability is off the charts. I'm really hoping he ends up our long term answer at LT.

• Like 5