Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden/Harris Legislative/Policy Discussions - Now with a Republican House starting 2023

goskins10

50 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

What votes? The debate is between the 4 unions and the rail road companies…

The union bosses and companies have agreed to terms. The workers haven't because they want more sick days. Congress is doing a bill to resolve the issue. So either we get the one agreed to already or we get one with sick leave.

This is to my best understanding from articles/podcasts.

Edited by Cooked Crack
  • Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

The union bosses and companies have agreed to terms. The workers haven't because they want more sick days. Congress is doing a bill to resolve the issue. So either we get the one agreed to already or we get one with sick leave.

This is to my best understanding from articles/podcasts.

Ah, ok.  Weird that the Union bosses would go against their employees since they are the ones who vote? for them usually. But I agree I don’t think it responsible to let sick day differences damage the economy. My initial thought when I posted the jab was why would republicans vote against the bill forcing union workers back to work being anti-union (but that answer is obvious). Then I thought why are democrats forcing unions workers to give up their right to strike (being pro union). but I guess their is only minor issues remaining.

4 minutes ago, Larry said:

So, what does "legislation that will avert a strike" actually do?  Does it simply make a a strike illegal?  

Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing.

I worked at a RR when they went on strike in 1985 (I was non-union employee). As I recall, Reagan ordered a couple of month cooling off period and the appointment of a panel to resolve the differences. They did strike (can't remember if it was before/after the cooling off period) & I had to work work 12 on/off for about a week. Sucked balls because I had to go to Alexandria to work the 7PM-7AM shift.

The actual strike was a 'sympathy' strike - i.e., all of the unions went on strike in support of the 1 union with the issue. I can't recall what the issues were but they ended up being resolved by the appointed panel. 

In all fairness to Biden, paid sick leave was in Build Back Better.

Be mad at Biden for being pragmatic if you want, but I'm not feeling this idea he never cared or tried to get paid sick leave for all of us, not jus rail workers. 

Clock ran out again, it would wise if BBB is gonna be broken up to bring this and attack that piece first in 2023.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Democrats try to salvage Manchin’s side deal on energy projects

The push by Sen. Joe Manchin III to overhaul the nation’s permitting process for infrastructure projects could get some last-ditch help from Democratic leaders, who are trying to attach the permitting bill to the annual defense policy measure, according to two people familiar with the matter.

With the blessing of Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.), House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has been in talks with House Armed Services Committee Chairman Adam Smith (D-Wash.) about attaching a version of Manchin’s permitting bill to the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), according to the two individuals, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe private conversations.

New text of the defense bill that includes the permitting bill could be released Monday before the House Rules Committee considers the measure, the people said, although they cautioned that the plans were in flux and subject to change.

Spokespeople for Manchin (D-W.Va.), Pelosi and Schumer did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The effort to salvage Manchin’s permitting crusade is the latest attempt by Democrats to honor a deal that secured his vote for the Inflation Reduction Act, a sweeping climate, energy and health-care law that President Biden signed in August. Manchin insisted on a follow-up permitting bill as part of the deal, part of his long quest to speed up America’s permitting process for energy infrastructure, including the contested Mountain Valley Pipeline, which would transport natural gas about 300 miles from his home state of West Virginia to Virginia.

But liberal House Democrats objected to the permitting bill, saying it could undermine bedrock environmental laws, while Republicans complained that they were not consulted, even though changing the permitting process is a longtime conservative priority.

Several Senate Republicans are likely to oppose the inclusion of the permitting bill in the NDAA, according to the people familiar with the matter, meaning the passage of Manchin’s measure is hardly guaranteed.

Click on the link for the full article

Senate Confirms 90th Biden Judge—and Nearly Half Are Women of Color

The Democrat-controlled Senate has confirmed 90 federal judicial nominees to the bench as of this week. This is incredible news for people who care about the courts and having actually qualified jurists making highly consequential legal decisions.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) summed up why federal judgeships are so important during a floor speech on Monday. “These appointments are critical: Even though a conservative majority presides on the Supreme Court, the bulk of all federal cases are still resolved by circuit court judges,” he said.

Nearly 50 percent of those people confirmed are women of color. “That’s never happened before,” Schumer said on the Senate floor on Tuesday. “I’m confident a more diverse bench will go a long way in cultivating trust in our courts and in our democracy.”

The Senate is on track to finish the calendar year with more judges confirmed to the federal bench than were confirmed in the first two years of Barack Obama’s and Donald Trump’s administrations, according to Schumer.

• Thumb up 1

House Passes $858 Billion Defense Bill Repealing Vaccine Mandate for Troops

The House on Thursday overwhelmingly passed an $858 billion defense policy bill that would rescind the Pentagon’s mandate that troops receive the coronavirus vaccine, pushing past the objections of the Biden administration as lawmakers in both parties united behind another huge increase in military spending.

The legislation, negotiated by Republicans and Democrats in both chambers of Congress, would grant a 4.6 percent raise to military personnel and increase the Pentagon’s budget by $45 billion over President Biden’s request, providing $800 million in new security aid to Ukraine and billions to Taiwan. It also includes changes sought by lawmakers to the military’s policy for handling sexual assault cases, a major victory that had long eluded its proponents.

The vote was 350-80, with a substantial number of Republicans joining Democrats in support.

The bill delivers twin repudiations to Mr. Biden’s policies, increasing the defense budget 8 percent overall when he has pressed to keep it nearly flat and moving to reverse a vaccine mandate that his top officials have fought to retain. 

• Thumb up 1

Biden releasing nearly $36 billion to aid pensions of union workers

President Joe Biden on Thursday is announcing the infusion of nearly $36 billion to shore up a financially troubled union pension plan, preventing severe cuts to the retirement incomes of more than 350,000 Teamster workers and retirees across the United States.

The money for the Central States Pension Fund is the largest amount of federal aid provided for a pension plan, the Biden administration said, and comes from the American Rescue Plan, a $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package that he signed into law in 2021.

• Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, China said:

Biden releasing nearly $36 billion to aid pensions of union workers

President Joe Biden on Thursday is announcing the infusion of nearly $36 billion to shore up a financially troubled union pension plan, preventing severe cuts to the retirement incomes of more than 350,000 Teamster workers and retirees across the United States.

The money for the Central States Pension Fund is the largest amount of federal aid provided for a pension plan, the Biden administration said, and comes from the American Rescue Plan, a $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package that he signed into law in 2021.

Payoff for the railroad vote?  

On 6/9/2021 at 6:41 PM, China said:

The Keystone XL Pipeline Is Officially Dead

The project would’ve transported a staggering 800,000 barrels of crude oil a day from the Alberta tar sands across the border. The pipeline raised risks of an environmental catastrophe, especially Nebraska’s Sand Hills, where delicate geology meant a spill could’ve contaminated drinking water supplies.

Click on the link for more

Oil spill in rural Kansas creek shuts down Keystone pipeline

An oil spill in a creek in northeastern Kansas shut down a major pipeline that carries oil from Canada to the Texas Gulf Coast, briefly causing oil prices to rise Thursday.

Canada-based TC Energy said it shut down its Keystone system Wednesday night following a drop in pipeline pressure. It said oil spilled into a creek in Washington County, Kansas, about 150 miles (240 kilometers) northwest of Kansas City.

The company on Thursday estimated the spill’s size at about 14,000 barrels and said the affected pipeline segment had been “isolated” and the oil contained at the site with booms, or barriers. It did not say how the spill occurred.

“People are sometimes not aware of of the havoc that these things can wreak until the disaster happens,” said Zack Pistora, who lobbies the Kansas Legislature for the Sierra Club’s state chapter.

Edited by China