Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden/Harris Legislative/Policy Discussions - Now with a Republican House starting 2023

goskins10

• 2 weeks later...

White House's hopes for a lame-duck debt ceiling deal are fading fast

The White House has largely given up hope of Congress raising the nation’s debt limit during the lame-duck session that runs through late December, increasing the risk of a highly partisan, market-rattling fiscal confrontation next year.

Senior administration officials see little chance of attracting any Republican votes for a bipartisan debt limit hike during the short session. And they don’t believe they have the 50 Democratic Senate votes needed to slam through a hike using the budget reconciliation process that would allow them to avoid a Republican filibuster.

“We’d love to do the debt limit. That doesn’t magically create the votes to get the debt limit done,” said one frustrated senior White House official.

The administration has determined that if it were to go the reconciliation route on the debt limit, it would face likely opposition from Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.). And there could be other defectors. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has said he wants a bipartisan vote to raise the borrowing cap during the lame-duck session. But Republicans, many of whom are eager to use the limit as leverage to extract legislative concessions from Democrats in the next Congress, have shown no appetite for any such bipartisan approach.

“I don’t think the debt limit issue is until sometime next year,” Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday in response to a question about whether he would address it in the lame duck.

That’s left White House officials to all but abandon efforts for a lame-duck move they once hoped might head off a potentially disastrous showdown with the House GOP majority next year. Instead, officials now predict Republicans will get blamed if a bitter fight on the issue harms already choppy markets and further damages an economy that many economists see as close to a recession.

“Although there is grave risk to the economy, the gun is in Republicans’ hands,” said one Biden adviser, summing up the administration’s view of the political stakes on the debt limit. “And there is little question as to who will get blamed for this.”

Click on the link for the full article

Except it isn't. I suspect we need bases of operation and even a nominal ally in the region other than Israel. We need the counter to any Iranian threat.  All of which would be threatened by a hard  line against Khashoggi. Heck, I note they already tried to screw us with cutting oil production before the mid terms. It didnt work then.

The pardon is the sad truth of Realpolitic.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gbear said:

Except it isn't. I suspect we need bases of operation and even a nominal ally in the region other than Israel. We need the counter to any Iranian threat.  All of which would be threatened by a hard  line against Khashoggi. Heck, I note they already tried to screw us with cutting oil production before the mid terms. It didnt work then.

The pardon is the sad truth of Realpolitic.

Rather have no friends then fake friends we can't depend on but come running to us when they need us. That's not a friend, that's not an ally.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Larry said:

Or it's what "we have to allow (something like) diplomatic immunity to exist, so that we can have it, too" looks like. 

When's the last time the US killed an "overly critical" journalist for doing their job that we needed diplomatic immunity as well? Last I checked, that's not what diplomatic immunity is meant for.

Edited by Renegade7

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

When's the last time the US killed an "overly critical" journalist for doing their job that we needed diplomatic immunity as well? Last I checked, that's not what diplomatic immunity is meant for.

Wow, your right. To our knowledge, no American President has ever committed exactly the same crime as this guy. Therefore we should ignore immunity in this case. 

I mean, 

1). No one could possibly argue that, say, killing Ossama bin Laden (or collateral damage civilians) are similar. 

2). No other country would then start arguing that their grievance with a US government official was different in some way, and therefore doesn't count. 

• Thumb down 1

1 minute ago, Larry said:

Wow, your right. To our knowledge, no American President has ever committed exactly the same crime as this guy. Therefore we should ignore immunity in this case. 

I mean, 

1). No one could possibly argue that, say, killing Ossama bin Laden (or collateral damage civilians) are similar. 

2). No other country would then start arguing that their grievance with a US government official was different in some way, and therefore doesn't count. 

Nonsensical whataboutism that our adversaries try to use against us all the time...comparing killing Khashoggi to killing Bin Laden is sad AF.

• Like 1

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Nonsensical whataboutism that our adversaries try to use against us all the time...comparing killing Khashoggi to killing Bin Laden is sad AF.

So, you're mad that the thing I claim other countries would do, is something that other countries do all the time?