Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden/Harris Legislative/Policy Discussions - Now with a Republican House starting 2023

goskins10

10 minutes ago, Larry said:

So, you're mad that the thing I claim other countries would do, is something that other countries do all the time?  

How many countries kill American journalists all the time and claim diplomatic immunity?

We don't deserve diplomatic immunity for accidentally blowing up a wedding while trying to kill a terrorist, if that's what you are implying your point is.

Aaaannnndd, we're back to "this crime is not completely identical to this other one". 

----

Now though. Sticking with the analogy (I know the two aren't completely identical. Just drawing similarities.) of diplomatic immunity ......

Diplomatic immunity says I can't prosecute the Russian ambassador for the crime he committed. 

It doesn't say I can't ban him from the country. Or forbid him from entering, tomorrow. (On the grounds that he might do it again). 

Far as I'm concerned, we absolutely have the right to ban him from the country. Even, say, just passing through, on his way to an embassy, or to the UN. 

Biden has gone from wanting to play hardball, to fist pumping, to further limiting any chance for accountability for MSB's direction to kill Khashoggi.

Overall I support Biden, but this trend in our "relationship" with Saudi Arabia there are few words for, but none of them are good.

And there seems to be an endless list of reasons for why that's okay when it's not. Call it what you want.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Wow, your right. To our knowledge, no American President has ever committed exactly the same crime as this guy. Therefore we should ignore immunity in this case. 

I mean, 

1). No one could possibly argue that, say, killing Ossama bin Laden (or collateral damage civilians) are similar. 

2). No other country would then start arguing that their grievance with a US government official was different in some way, and therefore doesn't count. 

These are super flimsy arguments. Comparing a journalist to osama bin laden is ridiculous. 

• Thanks 2

On 11/18/2022 at 12:35 PM, Renegade7 said:

Biden has gone from wanting to play hardball, to fist pumping, to further limiting any chance for accountability for MSB's direction to kill Khashoggi.

Overall I support Biden, but this trend in our "relationship" with Saudi Arabia there are few words for, but none of them are good.

And there seems to be an endless list of reasons for why that's okay when it's not. Call it what you want.

history shows we’re willing to look the other way on SA for a lot of things. And no oil isn’t the only reason why. 

you’re mad about a journalist that worked for a WP affiliate? Most of the hijacker’s for 9/11 came from SA. They’ve been waging an ethnic cleansing war for what, a decade? 

Sorry but ‘tis the way the world works. There’s obviously a lot of important things going on with them as this has spanned numerous administrations, political parties, and scandals. 

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

history shows we’re willing to look the other way on SA for a lot of things. And no oil isn’t the only reason why. 

you’re mad about a journalist that worked for a WP affiliate? Most of the hijacker’s for 9/11 came from SA. They’ve been waging an ethnic cleansing war for what, a decade? 

Sorry but ‘tis the way the world works. There’s obviously a lot of important things going on with them as this has spanned numerous administrations, political parties, and scandals. 

Oil isn't the only reason, but in the context of the number of 9/11 hijackers from SA and rumors people in their government were sending money to Al-Aqeda during war on terror, I do not agree that's the way things are so that's the way they have to be. 

At one point we weren't in the middle of the Sunni-Shia rilvary that has been raging since before the US was founded, we need to find a way out the middle of that. 

Claiming we have to as part of protecting Israel when both countries are mad at them for their continued occupation of Palestine is another reason to seriously cut our loses on that region of the world versus being trapped in this expensive life and reputational costing cycle of hypocrisy. 

We still have no idea what we're doing and it's still going nowhere good.  Is being in the middle of that really making it any better or worth it anymore?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tshile said:

Just becasue that's the way the world works right now does not mean we have to participate and like it. The US support of SA is borderline criminal in my opinion. We talk a good game in terms of caring about human rights and treatment of others but then turn a blind eye to some of the most agregious actions when it's convienet.

I have been pleasantly surprised at what I think has been a pretty successful administration for Joe Biden and have been very happy to support ihm. But this is a complete failure as I see it. We have been providing free defence and political cover for SA for too many decades. I realize there are underlying reasons. But we should have worked to remove the need so we can get out of that relationshp.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Oil isn't the only reason, but in the context of the number of 9/11 hijackers from SA and rumors people in their government were sending money to Al-Aqeda during war on terror, I do not agree that's the way things are so that's the way they have to be. 

im not saying because it is, it ought to be

im saying this is clearly the way it is

and its that way for a reason

and it’s spanned numerous admins, scandals, and political parties 

so you can complain about it all you want, nothings changing. There’s clearly something going on behind closed doors with us and SA, and it’s never going to be a campaign issue that turns into someone being elected to do something about it. 

so you can complain and opine all you want but we’re missing clearly important information and nothings going to change. 

31 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

The US support of SA is borderline criminal in my opinion

Same here. 

• Like 1