Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington's Ron Rivera 'not apologizing for winning' in wake of Jalen Hurts benching

TK

Joe Judge whining in his presser was a fun sound bite.

Here’s an idea: Win more games.

Also, I feel bad for Giant fans that wanted to get into the playoffs. But, really, I don’t need to hear how upset they are every five minutes on every football media. WFT won 7 games. NYG won 6. It’s simple math. 

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Also, I feel bad for Giant fans that wanted to get into the playoffs. But, really, I don’t need to hear how upset they are every five minutes on every football media. WFT won 7 games. NYG won 6. It’s simple math. 

I think what really burns them is that they swept us during the season by a grand total of 4 points.  I'm confident when we are at our best we are the better team.  They were lucky to get us for both games earlier in the year before the team really started to come around. 

Just now, Painkiller said:

I think what really burns them is that they swept us during the season by a grand total of 4 points.  I'm confident when we are at our best we are the better team.  They were lucky to get us for both games earlier in the year before the team really started to come around. 

Yes. They swept us. But it doesn’t matter except for tie breaker. And the fact they swept us and still couldn’t win more than 4 of their 14 remaining games is proof positive that they didn’t belong. 

We don’t necessarily either, for the record. But... We won more games than they did.

Sure they swept us but last I checked football was a 16 game schedule, not 2.

Look at it in other ways: they were 4-10 when not playing us. We were 7-7. So they were six games BELOW .500 when playing the rest of the NFL. We were a respectable .500. Now who deserves the playoffs?

10 hours ago, steve09ru said:

One more big run?  His biggest in the game was 9 yards- had less than 40 total and 7 yards total in the 2nd half.

listening to some of y’all, it’s like he was Lamar Jackson out there

https://nypost.com/2021/01/04/eagles-players-had-to-be-restrained-from-confronting-doug-pederson/

The players knew what was up...

3 hours ago, Painkiller said:

I like the idea of a lottery.  The number of games you win has no bearing on where you pick in the draft.  You could just as easily be 1st as 31st.  

It would certainly give the conspiracy theory thread a huge bump in new theories...

3 hours ago, Painkiller said:

I like the idea of a lottery.  The number of games you win has no bearing on where you pick in the draft.  You could just as easily be 1st as 31st.  As a fan, I despise the idea that my team (organization) would set out to lose games just to get a highly touted prospect.  I just don't see much evidence of that approach (or alleged approach) making any difference to the NFL bottom line of winning a Championship.  You might sell a lot of jerseys and other merchandise through the hype, but does it get you to the top of the mountain in a team sport with 51 other players on the roster?  I don't think so.   

Here's an even more radical approach: reward success instead of failure. Win the Super Bowl and you pick first. Tanking instantly becomes a thing of the past.

12 minutes ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

Here's an even more radical approach: reward success instead of failure. Win the Super Bowl and you pick first. Tanking instantly becomes a thing of the past.

Too radical in my opinion. 

Can you imagine the draft capital the patriots would have with the number one overall pick 7 times and not needing a quarterback?

As if they didn't already have a death grip on the league for 20 years that would have made them almost invincible. 

The chiefs would have gotten 3 first rounders for last year's number one and very possibly another 3 for this year. 

I have a feeling you were being partially facetious but that would create way too much disparity. 

I still think rewarding the bad teams at the end of the season for Winning rather than losing would be the best way to solve the problem if it even needs a resolution because honestly nobody really cares too much when teams that can't win more than a game or two get the best (possibly) player in the draft.

6 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Can you imagine the draft capital the patriots would have with the number one overall pick 7 times and not needing a quarterback?

As if they didn't already have a death grip on the league for 20 years that would have made them almost invincible. 

The chiefs would have gotten 3 first rounders for last year's number one and very possibly another 3 for this year. 

I have a feeling you were being partially facetious but that would create way too much disparity. 

I still think rewarding the bad teams at the end of the season for Winning rather than losing would be the best way to solve the problem if it even needs a resolution because honestly nobody really cares too much when teams that can't win more than a game or two get the best (possibly) player in the draft.

I wouldn’t mind a situation like the NBA lottery, plenty of teams have lost positions due to the lottery.  I think a bare minimum you need to win 2 games in your last 10 (or something like that) in order to keep your draft slot. The race to the bottom this season was pretty ugly and watching Peterson throw a game was sad too.  There also needs to be a clause on how many starters are sitting/pulled not due to injury in the final game.  Sit too many not due to injury, you lose draft spots.

10 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I'm quite serious. The only reason it wouldn't work is that the teams aren't really competing against each other. They are partners in a large entertainment cooperative.

Think of it as evolution in action.

19 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Agreed, and another perspective is when have you seen a team that consistently sucks and picks near the top every year get a guy that automatically turns around their fortunes?  More often than not the top pick in the draft ends up being overvalued or doesn’t produce at the level that was expected.  Personally I don’t think where you pick matters that much in the grand scheme.  I think the idea that high draft pick =  better player is largely more pundit and fan driven as far as how it affects the overall outcomes which is to win a Super Bowl.

Simply put, it’s all about getting lucky with a guy.  Why some work out and others don’t is largely a mystery.

40 minutes ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

This is one reason I started watching English Soccer.  If a team sucks too badly, they get relegated to a lower league to make room for high performing teams in those leagues. Tanking is huge insult to your most ardent fans IMO. The majority of bandwagoners will dissappear when a 14-win team becomes a 6-win team, and rebuilding is a completely acceptable periodic thing (just ask Arsenal).  But when that 6-win team becomes a 2-win team, you're punishing the diehards who deserve the occasional W.

I don't think relegation would work in the US, but I would seriously favor stacking TV revenue to favor teams that are winning as an incentive. For instance, chop up the league's annual TV revenue into 269 pieces- 1 piece for each game the league plays.  For each game, the winning team keeps 60% and the losing team keeps 40%-- something like that.

8 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

This is one reason I started watching English Soccer.  If a team sucks too badly, they get relegated to a lower league to make room for high performing teams in those leagues. Tanking is huge insult to your most ardent fans IMO. The majority of bandwagoners will dissappear when a 14-win team becomes a 6-win team, and rebuilding is a completely acceptable periodic thing (just ask Arsenal).  But when that 6-win team becomes a 2-win team, you're punishing the diehards who deserve the occasional W.

I don't think relegation would work in the US, but I would seriously favor stacking TV revenue to favor teams that are winning as an incentive. For instance, chop up the league's annual TV revenue into 269 pieces- 1 piece for each game the league plays.  For each game, the winning team keeps 60% and the losing team keeps 40%-- something like that.

Interesting. That would also create a positive incentive.

56 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

a New York newspaper making up a narrative to benefit a NY football team... color me surprised.

There’s plenty non NY media outlets that are saying the same thing.  Let’s not kid ourselves. 

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/doug-pederson-eagles-tank-jason-kelce-jalen-hurts-nate-sudfeld-joe-judge-20210104.html

I honestly don't care if teams tank. The lottery system in the NBA is dumb because you get situations like the Cavs who get the #1 pick like 3 times while some teams rarely if ever do(like the Wiz who have only gotten it twice EVER).

If anything I'd have draft picks based on maybe win loss record over the last 3 years or something. That way if a normally good team happens to have one bad year they don't suddenly have a super high pick to allow them to bounce right back, and if a normally bad team flukes their way into an 8-8 type year they still get a little bit of a higher pick.

2 hours ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

There’s plenty non NY media outlets that are saying the same thing.  Let’s not kid ourselves. 

https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/doug-pederson-eagles-tank-jason-kelce-jalen-hurts-nate-sudfeld-joe-judge-20210104.html

Can someone who has access please post the article?  They claim I am out of free articles and I would really like to read this.

TIA

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

I have never seen so much outrage over a quarterback who looked terrible for 3 quarters with a completion percentage of 35% being benched.  He had 2 completions in the 2nd half.  Rivera, nor Pederson, have anything to apologize for.

It truly is ridiculous.  I can get behind the idea that Doug P. wasn't real worried about the outcome of the game, win or lose.  I think that much was obvious.  But it's not like he's the first coach to ever not care about the end result of a game with zero playoff implications for their team.

If you didn't watch the game, and only the whining after the fact, you would think Hurts was Russell Wilson or that the Eagles were leading or threatening to take a lead.  

Archived