Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington's Ron Rivera 'not apologizing for winning' in wake of Jalen Hurts benching

TK

2 hours ago, Silvernon said:

#3 This fanbase should be incredibly thankful for this one legged legend. 

#7 Left side took time to find something that worked. 

#8 That starting safety who is out for the year was replaced by a better player. 

#10 Fair to call Ioannidis our top pass rusher outside of potentially Chase Young. Wonder if he becomes dominant or plateaus. 

Injuries are injuries. It’s not like we had a cake walk this year. It’s been tough for us too.

1 hour ago, SAli457180 said:

I am so glad that Pederson did what he did.  Hurts wasn't going to win the game throwing the football.  Hurts may have won the game with his legs, but that may not not have been what his coach wanted.  While the NFL and the SNF crew were all crying for the Vagiants, it doesn't matter.  They can all SUCK it.  The WFT won the game and are the NFC East Champs and nothing is going to change that.

Pederson was doing much like Ron does. He was looking further out than this game. I know, I know. You play to win the game. But lets be real. If the WFT was in the same situation last year with Chase Young on the line, we'd be fired up cheering if Ron put in a scrub to lose the game. As I re-watched the game with an active ear, Pederson said he was going to get Nate in the game at some point and he did. With half his team out anyway, it was apparent the organization wasn't trying to win the game. Fact is, the egles are going to look totally different next year and may not even have Pederson as coach, depending on what happens in his Tuesday meeting with the owner. I don't really give a ****. But for the sake of this convo listen to this during the game:

One of the things that is being ignored in the outrage of benching Hurts is that Pederson said during the week that he was going to play Sudfield in the second half of this game. So, apparently that was the plan before the game even started.  There is far too much outrage about the decision to bench a QB who was playing poorly anyway.

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Honest question, do you think Nate was brought in because Doug thought he gave them the best chance at winning the game?

Given how Hurts had played, absolutely.  You could also argue that if Hurts is their QB of the future (which he likely isn’t) then they wouldn’t want him out there to get hurt when the running game is scrapped, in the rain, with our dline.

also, the only reason Hurts has even been playing is so Wentz has value in a trade.

everyone keeps acting like Hurts is this huge prospect that has already been given the keys.  He’s simply not that good

26 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

Meh. Let the Eagles and Giants rip each other apart while the Cowboys are led by the most incompetent coach in the division. I hope we win the division again next year while they all wallow in the mud.

I'm starting to see why Aaron Rodgers apparently despised McCarthy and said he had a "low football IQ".  

2 hours ago, steve09ru said:

7 yards rushing in the 2nd half. 8 yards passing.  He was hardly causing folks to hold their breathe.

his rushes were 2, 9, 1, 6, 4, 6, 4, 3

And on how many of those rushes were you afraid he’d break one for the home run TD?

before you answer.

think of that Daniel Jones 65+ yard run up our gut.

😄

Coach of the Year has no reason to apologize.

We just need to make #RiveraCOY official.

I've heard arguments for other coaches being COY.

But it's not even close. Not one coach has come close to dealing with so much adversity an accomplishing so much with it.

No coach has had that much success, after being served Poop On A Plate.

Let's get that hashtag goin on Twitter. Spread the word. People need to know the truth.

2 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

And on how many of those rushes were you afraid he’d break one for the home run TD?

before you answer.

😄

Actually didn’t have that concern at all.  Our defense has been playing lights out and much more disciplined in assignments.  He was barely outrunning our line on some of the rollouts so again, not that concerned

11 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

before you answer.

😄

Exactly, if Hurts stayed in and had one more big run that set up another TD we wouldn’t be taking right now.  People on here are acting like we were in cruise control the whole game...we won by 6pts with a QB that can barely move.

2 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

Exactly, if Hurts stayed in and had one more big run that set up another TD we wouldn’t be taking right now.  People on here are acting like we were in cruise control the whole game...we won by 6pts.

One more big run?  His biggest in the game was 9 yards- had less than 40 total and 7 yards total in the 2nd half.

listening to some of y’all, it’s like he was Lamar Jackson out there

1 minute ago, steve09ru said:

One more big run?  His biggest in the game was 9 yards- had less than 40 total and 7 yards total in the 2nd half.

listening to some of y’all, it’s like he was Lamar Jackson out there

What did the SEA and ARI games have in common?

1) scrambling QBs

2) our “vaunted” defense inability to contain them

3) we lost

hence, my concern.

Hindsight, sure.  Watching the game replay won’t be nearly as nail-biting.

I actually like that we’re playing a flowerpot-mobile Tom Brady next week 

22 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Given how Hurts had played, absolutely.  You could also argue that if Hurts is their QB of the future (which he likely isn’t) then they wouldn’t want him out there to get hurt when the running game is scrapped, in the rain, with our dline.

also, the only reason Hurts has even been playing is so Wentz has value in a trade.

everyone keeps acting like Hurts is this huge prospect that has already been given the keys.  He’s simply not that good

Ahh. So YOU’RE the one.

53 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

Meh. Let the Eagles and Giants rip each other apart while the Cowboys are led by the most incompetent coach in the division. I hope we win the division again next year while they all wallow in the mud.

Exactly. But regarding the beef between these two ****s.....at the end of the season, coaches make their starters inactive. What's the difference here as far as respecting the game? I don't see the difference. But like you said, let them rip themselves apart while continuing to have losing records for the next decade or so. 

3 hours ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

No, It’s not ridiculous, there’s more to the stat line then 7/20, he rolled all over us with his feet and we had no answer. Many of those running plays the Eagles had were gifted holds that weren’t called, Hurts staying in the game would had added to more non calls on holding. Everytime Hurts ran, I held my breathe (I’m sure Ron and Del Rio did too). The majority of people watching the game last night felt the Eagles had a better shot at winning with Hurts. They wouldn’t be calling for Peterson’s firing if that wasn’t the case. 

That being said, go Football Team! 😆. Can’t wait to see Chase Young and crew go against Brady.

He literally rushed for 34 yards on 8 carries. Come on. 

...so a lot of what I'm reading and hearing is that Pederson tanked the game in order to move up 3 spots in the draft.    

I guess this is a good place to ask this question.  Can anybody tell me or show me a time that a team has successfully "tanked' it's season, and as a direct result of "tanking" went on to get a high or top draft pick, and then won a Super Bowl with said high draft pick? (or multiple Super Bowls).  Basically, a successful example of "tanking" for a once in a lifetime prospect, that led to a Lombardi trophy. 

For example, we all remember the "Suck for Luck" 2011 campaign waged by the Colts.  Andrew Luck was a decent QB, but he wasn't the once in a lifetime talent that everybody thought he would be.  The Colts won a few games, but no Lombardi trophies.  

Tom Brady, the GOAT, the guy our team will face Saturday...was a 6th round draft pick.   I just don't put much stock in the idea of "tanking."  I absolutely believe that some organizations set out to do so, but I can't think of one example where an obvious case of tanking a season led to a decade of success with the draft pick obtained.   

4 hours ago, Painkiller said:

...so a lot of what I'm reading and hearing is that Pederson tanked the game in order to move up 3 spots in the draft.    

I guess this is a good place to ask this question.  Can anybody tell me or show me a time that a team has successfully "tanked' it's season, and as a direct result of "tanking" went on to get a high or top draft pick, and then won a Super Bowl with said high draft pick? (or multiple Super Bowls).  Basically, a successful example of "tanking" for a once in a lifetime prospect, that led to a Lombardi trophy. 

For example, we all remember the "Suck for Luck" 2011 campaign waged by the Colts.  Andrew Luck was a decent QB, but he wasn't the once in a lifetime talent that everybody thought he would be.  The Colts won a few games, but no Lombardi trophies.  

Tom Brady, the GOAT, the guy our team will face Saturday...was a 6th round draft pick.   I just don't put much stock in the idea of "tanking."  I absolutely believe that some organizations set out to do so, but I can't think of one example where an obvious case of tanking a season led to a decade of success with the draft pick obtained.   

The panthers came close with Cam, the dolphins might be building something through the tank year but that might be more because of the coach, depends if Tua develops. Same with the brownies.

The idea seems to come from basketball and baseball, but the success stories are just playoff teams like Philly or cheaters like the 'stros.

I am curious about the NFL instituting a lottery system but it would punish genuinely awful teams like the Bengals and Jaguars. 

54 minutes ago, steven11 said:

I am curious about the NFL instituting a lottery system but it would punish genuinely awful teams like the Bengals and Jaguars. 

I like the idea of a lottery.  The number of games you win has no bearing on where you pick in the draft.  You could just as easily be 1st as 31st.  As a fan, I despise the idea that my team (organization) would set out to lose games just to get a highly touted prospect.  I just don't see much evidence of that approach (or alleged approach) making any difference to the NFL bottom line of winning a Championship.  You might sell a lot of jerseys and other merchandise through the hype, but does it get you to the top of the mountain in a team sport with 51 other players on the roster?  I don't think so.   

Archived