Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Stadium News?

RichmondRedskin88

3 hours ago, Commander PK said:

Wow man, no love for Camden?  Where are my DMV Gen X Orioles and Commanders fans?  We grew up in a world before the Nats and Ravens lol.

Still have love for them, but their owner is like itchy booty. So scratch that!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Commander PK said:

Wow man, no love for Camden?  Where are my DMV Gen X Orioles and Commanders fans?  We grew up in a world before the Nats and Ravens lol.

Grew up in G-burg/NoPo, went to school in Baltimore. Never an O's fan.

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Grew up in G-burg/NoPo, went to school in Baltimore. Never an O's fan.

so in this you are kind of like the baseball fan equivalent of the Suitland or Oxon Hill Dallas Cowboys fans  

…Just messing with you man 😂 

• Confused 2

Camden Yards is nice--I don't give two bits about baseball but went to a game there for a buddy's bachelor-party day many years ago. I don't know if that model suits football as well as it does baseball. It's too fussy and quaint.

The most iconic football stadiums--the ones we romanticize from the good old days--have been the more utilitarian, even cruddy, ones. Heck, we still talk about RFK and the Vet, and neither was objectively very good. They had the right character for pro football, though.

It'd be nice if we could get a new stadium that *felt* like the hallowed ground of RFK but with modern amenities. What I don't want is some gaudy ego-palace like Jerryworld, or a fatcat thing like SoFi Stadium. This is east coast tradition and it needs to emotionally connect up with the the old NFL.

Edited by profusion
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, profusion said:

Camden Yards is nice--I don't give two bits about baseball but went to a game there for a buddy's bachelor-party day many years ago. I don't know if that model suits football as well as it does baseball. It's too fussy and quaint.

The most iconic football stadiums--the ones we romanticize from the good old days--have been the more utilitarian, even cruddy, ones. Heck, we still talk about RFK and the Vet, and neither was objectively very good. They had the right character for pro football, though.

It'd be nice if we could get a new stadium that *felt* like the hallowed ground of RFK but with modern amenities. What I don't want is some gaudy ego-palace like Jerryworld, or a fatcat thing like SoFi Stadium. This is east coast tradition and it needs to emotionally connect up with the the old NFL.

Yeah, of course Camden Yards was the first of the retro-style baseball stadiums, which is why its so revered.

Like you said, I don't know how you could bring a retro-model to football. Maybe we need to go further back than RFK and build a place modeled after Griffith Stadium. I'm in agreement that I wouldn't be that crazy about us having a place like Jerryworld or SoFi. Of the newer places, Allegiant in Vegas seems more of a model to emulate.

• Like 2

I really couldn't care less about having a "Retro" stadium.   If they go that route, that's fine, but I want the latest, greatest, state of the art stadium where it counts.  Don't worry about it not have the "personality"of an RFK that we yearn for.  You can't really go home again, and I think it would be a mistake if we tried to recreate something that was so special in its own time.  This franchise needs to move forward in every way.

Just remember: it's what happens in the stadium that matters most.  And if those things are positive, the stadium will be embraced.  I loved RFK to death, and even played a championship soccer game there as a kid.  I cherished that stadium.  But it was an aesthetic eyesore and structurally one of the worst stadiums in the league.  But what transpired inside that stadium over the decades was priceless.  And so, then, RFK became revered.

If we hadn't had the wonderful memories that were created inside RFK, we'd all have loathed that stadium and been begging JKC to get us into a state of the art masterpiece ASAP.

Whatever that new stadium ends up being, I have full faith that this ownership group will nail it.  We'll all be happy.  Good stuff is coming!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, Redwards said:

Just remember: it's what happens in the stadium that matters most.  And if those things are positive, the stadium will be embraced.  I loved RFK to death, and even played a championship soccer game there as a kid.  I cherished that stadium.  But it was an aesthetic eyesore and structurally one of the worst stadiums in the league.  But what transpired inside that stadium over the decades was priceless.  And so, then, RFK became revered.

Of course, Harris also owns the Sixers, and the arena they are proposing in central Philly isn't supposed to happen until 2030 or so. With the improvements made to Commanders Field, who knows what the timeframe for a new stadium for this team is. 

Hard to believe that this team has been in Landover for 27 years and the stadium has not hosted a division round or higher playoff game. We still have time to have a few successful seasons at the current place before the move happens, but the place will never be revered because of the performance of the team under the former owner.

I should have been clear.  I don’t necessarily want retro with the new stadium even though I love that aspect of Camden.

I want a stadium that is considered the best in the NFL when it’s 30 years old.  I don’t think that’s too much to ask, lol.

• Thumb up 1

49 minutes ago, Commander PK said:

I should have been clear.  I don’t necessarily want retro with the new stadium even though I love that aspect of Camden.

I'd like to see.something " classic " on the outside, with all the modern amenities on  the inside.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 3/22/2024 at 12:59 PM, profusion said:

So-Fi & Jerry’s world will still get high tier players considering their options when it comes time to signing free agents and for those team/owner evaluations that come out at the end of every year. The stadium does matter when it comes to player morale, fan morale and team engagement.  There’s a reason why teams like the Cowboys, Rams, Vikings, etc all earn high marks when it comes to fan engagement and enthusiasm.  I want a stadium that rivals or beats the aesthetic and ambiance of So-Fi Stadium and the Vikings stadium, because we as fans deserve that after suffering with below average facilities, fan engagement and attendance for the last 10+ years.

Edited by samy316

Jerry World is getting the Tyson/Paul boxing match which shows how important it is to have a dome/retractable roof on the stadium. I am sure Harris wants something that can be used year round. I really like the look of Allegiant Stadium.

23 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

Jerry World is getting the Tyson/Paul boxing match which shows how important it is to have a dome/retractable roof on the stadium. I am sure Harris wants something that can be used year round. I really like the look of Allegiant Stadium.

Allegiant, US Bank & So-Fi are the top 3 venues as far as ambiance, luxury and style goes, when you look at dome/retractable roof stadiums.  All three have year long usage, with SB’s, Final Fours, WrestleMania’s, etc.  US Bank is about to be rewarded with a WrestleMania, so it goes to show you how important having roofs are to stadiums nowadays.  How cool would it be for the new stadium here in DC to have such big time events year-round?

We were the only big city to NOT have Taylor Swift perform last summer, and the 2026 World Cup will not have any games played in the capital of the host country.  We’re getting into a seriously sad situation with regards to our stadium situation.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

The facilities for the players at the actual stadium are important, but the quality of the training facility is even moreso when it comes to attracting talent. It hasn't helped that Ashburn is supposedly a dump.

7 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

The facilities for the players at the actual stadium are important, but the quality of the training facility is even moreso when it comes to attracting talent. It hasn't helped that Ashburn is supposedly a dump.

remodeling locker rooms at stadiums and refitting training facilities cant be that difficult or expensive.

19 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

I'd like to see.something " classic " on the outside, with all the modern amenities on  the inside.

I cant really see them going very modern with the outside. Especially if it is on the RFK site. It needs to fit in to DC. 

Just now, clskinsfan said:

I cant really see them going very modern with the outside. Especially if it is on the RFK site. It needs to fit in to DC. 

I hope they do a better job than nationals park. Missed opportunity imo. 
We deserve something nice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I hope they do a better job than nationals park. Missed opportunity imo. 
We deserve something nice.

I like the inside of Nats Park, where you can see the field from the concourse. But yes, the exterior leaves a lot to be desired.

43 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Which means it can also only be a certain height. Wonder how that would affect a retractable dome.

58 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

The practice facilities are a dump. You can tell just by driving by them... :rofl89:

• Like 1