Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Stadium News?

RichmondRedskin88

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I loved this quote. The idea that it's the stadium or housing, not both, is so dumb and makes no sense. 

It looked like he rambled into a campaign speech. LOL

19 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Metro access is the most important thing honestly.

This is mostly it.  Landover would have been fine if it was within a 5min walk off the metro or wasn't off a beltway that easily gets jammed at 2am on Sunday morning.

However, our current metro system is NOT always fast or reliable.

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I loved this quote. The idea that it's the stadium or housing, not both, is so dumb and makes no sense. 

My only issue with this as it relates to a site in DC is where it would go. We all talk about RFK but look at what is around that area now. It’s almost 100% residential. I can absolutely understand how people who live there wouldn’t want to drop a stadium there. And because of this, there’s also not really a place to develop a mixed use “mini city” so it really limits the possible benefits for the city. 

23 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

My only issue with this as it relates to a site in DC is where it would go. We all talk about RFK but look at what is around that area now. It’s almost 100% residential. I can absolutely understand how people who live there wouldn’t want to drop a stadium there. And because of this, there’s also not really a place to develop a mixed use “mini city” so it really limits the possible benefits for the city. 

I don't want to get political, but they're not going to put the type of housing they're talking about near the new stadium. And not to sound callous or uncaring, but no one cares about the poor. They're a nice thing to talk about during a campaign, but they won't stand in the way of a revitalization effort that will generate revenue. If a stadium doesn't go in there, some other high-end, revenue generating project will. And that's not to say I don't empathize with them--it sucks getting kicked out of your home, and I don't really wish it on anyone--but it's just the way these things always go. The poor get screwed.

9 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I don't want to get political, but they're not going to put the type of housing they're talking about near the new stadium. And not to sound callous or uncaring, but no one cares about the poor. They're a nice thing to talk about during a campaign, but they won't stand in the way of a revitalization effort that will generate revenue. If a stadium doesn't go in there, some other high-end, revenue generating project will. And that's not to say I don't empathize with them--it sucks getting kicked out of your home, and I don't really wish it on anyone--but it's just the way these things always go. The poor get screwed.

Yeah my point wasn’t so much about housing projects as it was about the city running a cost-benefit analysis of finding a stadium. In order for it to make sense you need a broader revitalization effort like what happened around Nats park. Space limitations around RFK (because so much around there is currently residential) really would make it tough to justify imo. 

Now if DoD decided it no longer needed or wanted Fort McNair…

• Like 1

Some people have suggested redevelopment of the DC Armory and perhaps some of the DC government buildings.  Anything is possible with money.  I am more concerned about the money.  The Harris group appears to be maxed out on debt and the number of minority owners.  DC, Maryland and VA are all going to expect the owners to pony up money for a stadium if the local governments are contributing.  The new owners can get a loan from the NFL but if they are already maxed out on loans it's a bit more difficult.  IMO the financial forecasts for the team are overly optimistic:  revenue streams are accelerated 3-5 years before the stadium is likely to be completed and ready for use; unrealistic claims that VA would be willing to offer 1.5 billion for a stadium (are you kidding!!!); naming rights, extra income of all kinds seem to be quite rosy given the team may not become consistently competitive for a while.  They haven't built the commanders' brand yet but are forecasting immediate success.  

Am guessing but don't know -- a major reason why Harris doesn't want to add more liquidity to the mix of the buy is to save money for the stadium.

Harris is optimistic about making more money when Dan is gone but is uber optimisitc about their profits AFTER the new stadium happens.  They clearly get that a spanking new stadium is criticial to the financial viability of this franchise. 

So I'd be very surprised if their 100 billion new worth of all star minority partner aren't involved in helping make this new stadium possible.  It's already been said that the expectation is Rales will be heavily involved in the stadium pursuit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Am guessing but don't know -- a major reason why Harris doesn't want to add more liquidity to the mix of the buy is to save money for the stadium.

Harris is optimistic about making more money when Dan is gone but is uber optimisitc about their profits AFTER the new stadium happens.  They clearly get that a spanking new stadium is criticial to the financial viability of this franchise. 

So I'd be very surprised if their 100 billion new worth of all star minority partner aren't involved in helping make this new stadium possible.  It's already been said that the expectation is Rales will be heavily involved in the stadium pursuit.

I made this point about Bezos, now is not a great time to convert assets/shares to cash. You are selling low and losing money. So generating liquidity is likely very easy, but doing that right now in the current economic climate is not that smart. 

• Like 3

Give up on the MD fanbase. MD is now Ravens country. Focus on the VA fanbase. Folks forget that Richmond is a 1M+ MSA and the Hampton Roads are a nearly 2M MSA. I believe a number of folks in NC, especially the older fans, are still fans of this team.

• Thumb down 1

2 hours ago, method man said:

Give up on the MD fanbase. MD is now Ravens country. Focus on the VA fanbase. Folks forget that Richmond is a 1M+ MSA and the Hampton Roads are a nearly 2M MSA. I believe a number of folks in NC, especially the older fans, are still fans of this team.

I live in Maryland and disagree. A new stadium at RFK or close to it would be nice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, method man said:

Durham NC native and yes there’s a bunch of us desperate to get back to glory 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, method man said:

I live in Maryland and there has been an uptick in Commanders gear seen around, since last Friday. I had a Commanders shirt on, people were coming up to me, excited that Snyder was selling.

• Like 1

My gut feeling is that the stadium will be built in Loudoun County. I live in Richmond so I don't really have an idea if that is the most logical place. IT just seems to get talked about quite often. It just seems that the RFK site has too many hurdles. It may be the most nostalgic but does it really make the most sense? Would the people living near it get behind it? Is the land large enough to support the stadium and amenities that should be part of any stadium?

On 5/18/2023 at 11:45 AM, Riggo#44 said:

I think they are trying to put some affordable housing options in the land right next to RFK which is the site of the old DC General Hospital. That chunk of land is DC Goverment property and not federal land to my knowledge. They already put up one condo/apartment building called Park Kennedy. It looks to me like there are section 8 units available in that building. 

He's not wrong, they can do both and they can mix in affordable housing to the scenario. 

Edited by CobraCommander
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

They are going to want a multipurpose development.  The stadium will be part of it but they will things around the stadium. They are going to want people to come to this development all the time.  So, the RFK site might not be the best to do that.

The problem DC faces is that it only has so much land to develop. This is an opportunity for them to develop one of the last pieces of unused land in the city. They’re going to want to take advantage of what an NFL stadium can offer. 

4 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

The RFK location is extremely doable. Knock down the Armory, DC General and the jail then you have something nice to work with. 

I'm sure Harris will find some smart people that can make it happen. 

Lol. The armory and Jail are in use and I’m pretty sure dc general has already been demolished. Maybe you’d like to knock down the Special Education school while you’re at it?

22 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Lol. The armory and Jail are in use and I’m pretty sure dc general has already been demolished. Maybe you’d like to knock down the Special Education school while you’re at it?

They are actively trying to close DC Jail. It will be gone within the next 5 years. The National Guard facilities can be incorporated into the stadium/event center complex since the current armory only has but so much life remaining. So yeah, it can certainly be done if properly planned. 

Edited by spjunkies

4 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

They are actively trying to close DC Jail. It will be gone within the next 5 years. The National Guard facilities can be incorporated into the stadium/event center complex since the current armory only has but so much life remaining. So yeah, it can certainly be done if properly planned. 

Sounds like they are planning to build a new jail so where would that go?

5 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Sounds like they are planning to build a new jail so where would that go?

That's valid. The new jail would likely use the current location.

I still think that the armory and hospital land should be in play though. I know it's unlikely to happen since the federal government has to play nice which we all know is a pipe dream.