Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

31 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

In fairness, Tom has almost all of those stats all by himself.  He does have 7 of the 8 SB rings. Russ has the one.  That’s it.  

😛 

And I tell ****tail waitresses that Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, and me have a combined net worth of half a trillion dollars.

• Haha 4

This is what I wanted. Smash mouth football. Sure it is a passing league but there is no rule saying you can't win with a ground attack and short passes. Oh it also keeps the opposing offense off the field. We had the ball for like 40 minutes too. 

This game was won in the trenches. 

1. Game reps are helping Taylor Heinicke's growth. Heinicke isn't an elite quarterback by any means, but he's spurred a conversation about his viability as Washington's quarterback beyond 2021 because of how he's improved with the more time he's spent on the field. Heinicke completed 27 of 35 passes for 223 yards, one touchdown and one interception (off a deflection), and largely avoided the colossal mistakes that would have hindered Washington's chances. Instead of pushing the ball downfield in risky fashion, Heinicke was content with taking the open man underneath. With seven minutes left to play, 11 of Heinicke's 20 completions were to running backs. One -- a screen pass to McKissic -- went for a touchdown, and Heinicke repeatedly found open targets underneath Seattle's at-the-sticks zone coverage to keep Washington on or near schedule. A key fourth-down completion might have been his best, when Heinicke sat in the pocket, held two defenders (one being Bobby Wagner) at an underneath target with his eyes, then threw it over both of them to DeAndre Carter for a crucial conversion. Washington is very much in the playoff hunt because of wins like Monday night's, one that wouldn't have happened if Heinicke didn't lean on his team's rushing attack and accept short completions are sometimes more valuable than highlight-reel plays.

Next Gen stat of the game: Taylor Heinicke completed 23 of 25 passes of fewer than 10-plus air yards, gaining 166 yards and scoring one touchdown.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-season-week-12-what-we-learned-from-washington-s-win-over-seahawks-on-m

Edited by zskins
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ThomasRoane said:

I don't think that's a good comp.  If you surround Heinicke with the talent Alex Smith had around him you'll see more big plays.  Alex was check-down charlie if his first option (Hill or Kelce) were covered.  Heinicke can get thru progressions very quickly.  

Great comp as far as intangibles, but it ends there. Heinekes command of the huddle and game situations is bordering on elite for me. This was always the stuff I was using to defend Smith, even better to see it with a dude with moxy, wheels, and an underdog. 

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I jus cant care about the arm strength argument when we are on a three game win streak aiming for more. That horse has been beaten to death already.

One thing i noticed is our point total is starting to decline game after game again.  That concerns me more right now

Can’t watch today and not come away feeling it was a fluke type game. Should’ve been 30 points on the board easy. Wouldn’t get too caught up with the point total today. The offense dominated, just came up short in a few 3rd short situations. 

8 minutes ago, zskins said:

Next Gen stat of the game: Taylor Heinicke completed 23 of 25 passes of fewer than 10-plus air yards, gaining 166 yards and scoring one touchdown.

I know people are going to be angry at me for saying this, but I have two words: Alex Smith.

It's not a criticism if it works, and it worked very well considering we made the playoffs.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Great comp as far as intangibles, but it ends there. Heinekes command of the huddle and game situations is bordering on elite for me. This was always the stuff I was using to defend Smith, even better to see it with a dude with moxy, wheels, and an underdog. 

Can’t watch today and not come away feeling it was a fluke type game. Should’ve been 30 points on the board easy. Wouldn’t get too caught up with the point total today. The offense dominated, just came up short in a few 3rd short situations. 

Red zone struggles have cost us 2-3 games already so I'd say it's at least time for the offense to get caught up with the point totals in general. This has to get cleaned up.  

Dude does he even need to be elite?? If anything he's trustworthy which I dont think is appreciated enough nor has it been seen enough with our QB's. Mac Jones has been given so much praise the past couple months and he's putting up like 22-27 for 220 1 td type stats every week. Basically what Taylor is doing. Let it ride. His escapes he had today were amazing..

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

That's where I am.  I think Heinicke can be serviceable in an offense that schemes around his limitations, but when Wilson launched that rocket down the middle of the field at the end of the game, it is a reminder that the physical ability in being able to put a certain amount of velocity on the ball matters.  There have been way too many incompletions on deeper passes where the WR comes back to the ball but it is delivered so gingerly that the DB's have too much time to recover.  Also on a ton of little out-routes to the sidelines that move the chains, Taylor is very often playing with danger due to arm strength issues. That might not matter against a bad defense, but it can cost games.   Those things get overlooked right now because it's a 5-6 team, but those limitations of your starting QB will matter in the long run.  The team overall isn't there yet as a unit, so you can have Heinicke run the show for now, but as you said, there is a reason Alex Smith was replaced by two teams despite him being the QB during relatively successful periods. 

Taylor played against a 2nd overall defense in Carolina. You got any other stories to tell that are actually true?

I personally don't give a **** about his arm strength. He has the IT factor, the moxy, the scrambling abilities, going through 5 reads (which is unheard of) and so on. As long he is winning that is all that matters. 

By the way, this is the same throw Russell made. I will take throws like these from Taylor 100 times a game. 

Edited by zskins
  • Like 2

It’s almost impossible to quantify…even with advanced stats…but, there were at least two occasions tonight where Heindouni straight up turned a sack into a 5 yard gain.  Additionally, his scramble/slide game is fully formed and elite.

This is a totally separate evaluation from his passing game tonight…which was less than elite.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, zskins said:

Taylor played against a 2nd overall defense in Carolina. You got any other stories to tell that are actually true?

I personally don't give a **** about his arm strength. He has the IT factor, the moxy, the scrambling abilities, going through 5 reads (which is unheard of) and so on. As long he is winning that is all that matters. 

Agree.

Also, any one watching that game could see the Seahawks were humming on defense, incredibly physical, and had a good plan. Heineke still found ways to keep the offense rolling along throughout. Should’ve been a 30 point game, but didn’t materialize. 

• Like 6

Lack of aggressiveness almost lost us the game but I put that on play calling not on TH. TH did a great job. If we had lost it wouldn’t have been on him. 

seriously we had way too many 3 and outs before the last drive. If Ron knew the kicker couldn’t kick than I believe it would of made sense to be more aggressive on the 3rd down. 

Edited by Dr. Do Itch Big
  • Thanks 1

I'm fine with the conservative play calling in the 3rd. Going down to our 4rth center against this awesome Seattle defense was tough and they were bursting through the line every time he dropped back. We leaned on the run and had a war in the trenches and came out on top. It was conservative, but we obviously wore them out and it paid off for us. Wilson might be washed, but Wagner sure isn't and that's a tough team.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

IS TAYLOR HEINICKE A YOUNG ALEX SMITH?

Please don't disrespect Heinicke like that. Sure he was moving the ball similar to Smith today but Smith was way more of a checkdown Charlie who didn't give his WRs chances. I don't mind that because I think its a great way to develop a young QB (see Mac Jones) but Heinicke has shown that he has some late game moxy. Even last night on the pass to Carter and the pass to Thomas (incomplete) are some throws that Smith wouldn't make. Plus Heinicke was making guys miss left and right. 

55 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm fine with the conservative play calling in the 3rd. Going down to our 4rth center against this awesome Seattle defense was tough and they were bursting through the line every time he dropped back. We leaned on the run and had a war in the trenches and came out on top. It was conservative, but we obviously wore them out and it paid off for us. Wilson might be washed, but Wagner sure isn't and that's a tough team.

I can understand but I knew we were playing it close and playing to just get out of the game instead of sealing the victory. If we could have been up 2 scores I would have understood that philosophy a lot more. Even if I agree with the philosophy, I don't agree with the 3rd / 4th and 1 runs all the time, especially with Gibson. Dude waits too much and tiptoes to try to make a big play. But we won so I'm not mad. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Heinicke is the guy until he isn't. If he can keep finding ways to win with a patchwork offensive line, no major pass catching weapons outside of McLaurin (Thomas is good but will slowly be getting back into form), I don't think I would bet against that. He will undoubtedly deserve more chances until he's exhausted them all by proving he's the one or he isn't. 

That 5 game stretch against the NFC East will tell me a lot about who Heinicke is. If he is playing his best football during those games, you better believe I'm fully strapped in. 

What I'm honestly seeing is him "creating" opportunities. Bates is not a superstar TE but he got a reception when we needed one. Carter is not elite but he is making those catches. Mline was inactive but he made that play against Tampa. These young guys are growing and Heinicke is giving them the opportunities they need. 

I think the best thing Heinicke has going for him is that we don't really have anybody else behind him. So its not a QB controversy. He had the opportunity to learn from his mistakes and grow into the system, and let the game slow down for him so he's not making the same mistakes. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Please don't disrespect Heinicke like that. Sure he was moving the ball similar to Smith today but Smith was way more of a checkdown Charlie who didn't give his WRs chances. I don't mind that because I think its a great way to develop a young QB (see Mac Jones) but Heinicke has shown that he has some late game moxy. Even last night on the pass to Carter and the pass to Thomas (incomplete) are some throws that Smith wouldn't make. Plus Heinicke was making guys miss left and right. 

I can understand but I knew we were playing it close and playing to just get out of the game instead of sealing the victory. If we could have been up 2 scores I would have understood that philosophy a lot more. Even if I agree with the philosophy, I don't agree with the 3rd / 4th and 1 runs all the time, especially with Gibson. Dude waits too much and tiptoes to try to make a big play. But we won so I'm not mad. 

I feel like we were playing a 4 quarter game. The seahawks have not been remotely blown out this year. Packers shut them out, but only scored 17. Rams and Cards were in the 20's. I kept seeing everyone yelling to "put them away", but that's not as easy as it sounds. Their defense is very good and they were playing very aggressive. They were coming through on every drop back. What if we tried to throw a 10 yard play on 3rd down, Heinicke gets hit and throws a pick? Not such a close game anymore, especially without a kicker. Instead we kept it in the trenches and won a war of attrition. Pretty damn impressive and Gibson looked like a man possessed last night. Pretty sure they told him before the game they were gonna ride him like a rented mule and he stepped up.

19 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Am I making this up or has he had noticeably more zip on his throws the last few games? 

Since the bye week he has looked more refreshed.

• Like 1

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I feel like we were playing a 4 quarter game. The seahawks have not been remotely blown out this year. Packers shut them out, but only scored 17. Rams and Cards were in the 20's. I kept seeing everyone yelling to "put them away", but that's not as easy as it sounds. Their defense is very good and they were playing very aggressive. They were coming through on every drop back. What if we tried to throw a 10 yard play on 3rd down, Heinicke gets hit and throws a pick? Not such a close game anymore, especially without a kicker. Instead we kept it in the trenches and won a war of attrition. Pretty damn impressive and Gibson looked like a man possessed last night. Pretty sure they told him before the game they were gonna ride him like a rented mule and he stepped up.

I agree, but what we saw on that last drive was that Heinicke could move the ball with his arms and legs. I just trust him more late in the game than Gibson. I agree that its not as easy to put teams away, and I was on twitter saying that as much fun as it is to win by 30, in the W/L column its the same number of wins if you win by 1. But I just felt like Seattle (especially early in the third) was daring Heinicke to beat them and focusing on Gibson. I wanted to do more playaction to TMac and try to take advantage of that. That said, our WRs had the dropsies tonight and that int was late by Heinicke but it was also a drop, so who knows what will happen with the passing game. 

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

I agree, but what we saw on that last drive was that Heinicke could move the ball with his arms and legs. I just trust him more late in the game than Gibson. I agree that its not as easy to put teams away, and I was on twitter saying that as much fun as it is to win by 30, in the W/L column its the same number of wins if you win by 1. But I just felt like Seattle (especially early in the third) was daring Heinicke to beat them and focusing on Gibson. I wanted to do more playaction to TMac and try to take advantage of that. That said, our WRs had the dropsies tonight and that int was late by Heinicke but it was also a drop, so who knows what will happen with the passing game. 

I've kind of had this theory that Heinicke ran out of gas in his arm weeks before the bye week. That's why he got noticeably worse every week. Then, after the week off, he has zip on his ball again and looks good. So, going on that, I think they're trying to preserve his arm for later in the season, by leaning heavy on the run game, as long as it's working. Our Oline is built to pound the rock and they're just going to keep the ball all game out of the other teams hands and only rely on Heinicke when they absolutely have to. Keep him fresh for the december and beyond games.

Everyone loves to hate on the coaches for all their terrible plays, despite most experts really being impressed by our coaches, but here we are in the playoff hunt, with the East within reach for the second year in a row under RonCo. If we make the playoffs this year, it'll be the first time we've had back to back playoff years since 91/92.

I think the way we are playing is we are calling a 4 quarter game each week and working to set the game up for us to own the 4rth quarter and I think we are doing that for the full season as well. My preseason prediction was to get to week 14 at 6-6 and we're one win away from that and heading into a 5 game NFC East stretch and East teams rarely ever have back to back division winners.

In RonCo/JDR/Turner I trust. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Everyone loves to hate on the coaches for all their terrible plays, despite most experts really being impressed by our coaches, but here we are in the playoff hunt, with the East within reach for the second year in a row under RonCo. If we make the playoffs this year, it'll be the first time we've had back to back playoff years since 91/92.

Yeah, I think we're more just couch coaching. I'm happy with a win. Now my Ravens fans can't laugh at me and I can talk trash to my Eagles and Giants fan friends. There are tons of things I'd do differently, but there's no guarantee on the outcome. What you say about the arm could be true. I have been thinking about the game slowing down for him but preserving his arm could be a thing. What I saw on that last drive on the pass to carter was either a really good pass or a really bad pass that went over Thomas to Carter. 

3 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Yeah, I think we're more just couch coaching. I'm happy with a win. Now my Ravens fans can't laugh at me and I can talk trash to my Eagles and Giants fan friends. There are tons of things I'd do differently, but there's no guarantee on the outcome. What you say about the arm could be true. I have been thinking about the game slowing down for him but preserving his arm could be a thing. What I saw on that last drive on the pass to carter was either a really good pass or a really bad pass that went over Thomas to Carter. 

That pass who knows. He does tend to sail them, so I have no idea if that was to Carter or Thomas. 

I like that we're a 4rth quarter team. Both in games and the season. 

I had to triple check that back to back playoff years thing. Wow that is atrocious.

21 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Heinicke...might just be the guy.  And I'm starting to think that there is going to be no "fitztragic" like regression where he has a total meltdown game.  

Unless the D regresses.  What's missed in Heineke's resurgence since the bye is the defense.  Their play has allowed us to play this type of football, where Heineke doesn't have to try and make hero throws that he can't make.  It's a lovely unison of complimentary football that we typically don't play.  Even in 2018 when Alex was starting, it was abundantly clear every time we played a legit team, we got our asses handed to us.  Not a chance that team beat Tom Brady and the Bucs.

• Like 1