Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

17 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

It's kind of interesting that one game as a Panther and one and a quarter games with WTF are not enough for some to conclude that TH is indeed a QB with valid NFL starting ability, but two games is enough to conclude that he is of doubtful durability, even though he did not miss a series in one of those full games and returned despite the injury in the other. I would also venture to guess that a significant number of NFL players have left a game with a ding only to return to finish the game.

Hmm.. Don't remember saying anything about him not having NFL starting ability. Maybe you were talking about someone else. If so, you may have wanted to quote them not me. 

But since you did quote me I will respond - Proving to be an NFL starting QB is not a one game or even one year process. There have been many 1 full year starting QBs that have not shown enough to be identified as a starting caliber NFL QB. It takes several years of proving it on the field to get to that level.

As for injuries, they are measured differently and rightly so. You can argue level of injury all you want, but when a player gets dinged up in the only two games he ever started, then it's fair to be concerned if he can make it through a full season. And that actually was my only comment - that I was not concerned with his play so much as his ability to stay health. 

More on Taylor specifically: 

He had a chance to show 3 teams before now he was an NFL starter and they all passed. Ron Rivera only brought him in after Allen was injured and he needed a #3. He only played becasue Haskins was a head case and Alex Smith was on one leg. Now he played one great game - and no one can take that from him. He earned the right to compete for the starting position on this team and that's what Ron gave him. Nothing more nothing less. If he beats out Ryan, then awesome. 

I am rooting for him. It is the best outcome for the team and for him. But he needs to prove he can keep that level of play up for a full season and he can stay healthy for a full season. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Hmm.. Don't remember saying anything about him not having NFL starting ability. Maybe you were talking about someone else. If so, you may have wanted to quote them not me. 

But since you did quote me I will respond - Proving to be an NFL starting QB is not a one game or even one year process. There have been many 1 full year starting QBs that have not shown enough to be identified as a starting caliber NFL QB. It takes several years of proving it on the field to get to that level.

As for injuries, they are measured differently and rightly so. You can argue level of injury all you want, but when a player gets dinged up in the only two games he ever started, then it's fair to be concerned if he can make it through a full season. And that actually was my only comment - that I was not concerned with his play so much as his ability to stay health. 

More on Taylor specifically: 

He had a chance to show 3 teams before now he was an NFL starter and they all passed. Ron Rivera only brought him in after Allen was injured and he needed a #3. He only played becasue Haskins was a head case and Alex Smith was on one leg. Now he played one great game - and no one can take that from him. He earned the right to compete for the starting position on this team and that's what Ron gave him. Nothing more nothing less. If he beats out Ryan, then awesome. 

I am rooting for him. It is the best outcome for the team and for him. But he needs to prove he can keep that level of play up for a full season and he can stay healthy for a full season. 

It is obvious that you are a long-time fan and contributor to this forum, and I do not want to get into any kind of urinary competition with you over this. However, I would like to clarify my comment for you.

First, yes, it is you I was responding to, and I readily acknowledge that you made no mention of Heinicke's starting ability.

To illustrate what I consider to be an interesting dichotomy, I simply used the contrast of  SOME posters comments of insufficient data based on limited observations of ability (one and a quarter games) to your comment on questionable durability based on the limited observations of two games. I also found your comment to be somewhat ingenious given the facts that I stated regarding his injuries. I truly believe your conclusion of reason for concern is unwarranted by the facts.

It would also be interesting for you to note (if you are not aware) that he did not miss a game due to injury in college though he was the starter for almost a full four years. He became the starter in the third or fourth game his freshman year, and he also played in four post season games. I mention this only because I believe it should help bely your durability concerns.

I also am rooting for him. Cheers!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

It is obvious that you are a long-time fan and contributor to this forum, and I do not want to get into any kind of urinary competition with you over this. However, I would like to clarify my comment for you.

First, yes, it is you I was responding to, and I readily acknowledge that you made no mention of Heinicke's starting ability.

To illustrate what I consider to be an interesting dichotomy, I simply used the contrast of  SOME posters comments of insufficient data based on limited observations of ability (one and a quarter games) to your comment on questionable durability based on the limited observations of two games. I also found your comment to be somewhat ingenious given the facts that I stated regarding his injuries. I truly believe your conclusion of reason for concern is unwarranted by the facts.

It would also be interesting for you to note (if you are not aware) that he did not miss a game due to injury in college though he was the starter for almost a full four years. He became the starter in the third or fourth game his freshman year, and he also played in four post season games. I mention this only because I believe it should help bely your durability concerns.

Exactly what facts do I not have? Was he or was he not on 3 other teams before joining the WFT? Did he or did he not get released by those 3 teams without making him a full time starter. Did he or did he not get dinged up in the two times he he got extended playing time?

Honestly, I could care less what his record in college was. The level of talent is different, and the size of the players are often different. The league is littered with guys who never had even a hang nail in college then could not stay on the field in the NFL. No shame in it. He has still accomplished something that what, 99.9999% of all humans cannot - start an NFL football game - and as the starting QB at that. 

So I believe I have the facts pretty well handled and they suggest there is a quite legitimate concern for him staying healthy. I hope he does, I hope he beats Ryan out and starts the next 10 to 15 yrs as the teams franchise QB. But until he actually beats Ryan or whoever out (could happen next year) and stays healthy a few season in a row, the injury concern based on his actual history so far is fair. 

Yes, I am a long time fan. But despite your assertion otherwise, I promise you I can and do seperate my fandom from reality. The irony here is that it appears you are accusing me of the very problem your comments expose. You are making every excuse for him possible that we should have zero concerns for his injuries in the NFL based more on you being a fan than the  reality of the facts we have. No problem with that but let's keep it in context.  

And pissing contests (just say it 🙂 ) are what keeps it fun - just keep it to the comments not the person. 

• Like 3

I don't want to speak for other people, but I think one of the main points that @goskins10was making is that playing ability and injury concerns are two completely different things that are measured in two completely different timeframes...and they should be. It generally takes at the very least a full season, but more commonly multiple seasons, of play for a QB to prove he's a legit long term NFL starter.

But on the other hand even having a couple of injuries over a short period of time, or in a small amount of playing time as Heinicke has, is a legit concern for a team. You're unlikely to find any HCs or GMs who will say "Yeah we want to see if he gets injured more than a few times in a season before we get concerned".

Any time you're paying a guy millions of dollars to be on your team and he's had multiple injuries in a very small amount of playing time, it's going to be something that's factored in. IIRC Rivera himself even brought up durability concerns when asked about Heinicke after the season ended.

1 hour ago, SAli457180 said:

Money dictates that Fitzpatrick is the starter, but if there's a competition, Heinicke will give him a run for his money.  

I think the money may certainly be one factor, but I think there's much more than that. They were clearly excited that they were able to land Fitz after his signing and they've already been singing praises about him during team activities and OTAs, as have his teammates.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ODU AGGIE said:

Don’t think you’ll find many detractors if he were to start again, who doesn’t like an underdog story. 

The Tampa game was amazing, but Washington and Taylor did have the element of surprise in their back pockets. Either way, a great game by Taylor. 

Going beyond just raw numbers in regards to projecting Taylor’s health concerns, theories can be developed by an FO that it will be difficult for Taylor to remain healthy due to a slight physical build and aggressive running and extending style of play.  In Taylor’s defense, his opportunities to date have required him to lay it all on the line, due to playing for his NFL life. Who’s not going to create and extend with wreck less abandon in that situation. Can he calm it down and still have some of his magic on command?

6 hours ago, redskinss said:

Guys who overachieve in college and never do anything In the nfl are a dime a dozen.

Sometimes it's just that their games don't translate to the nfl.

Sometimes it's that they had a system tailor made for them to succeed that hid the flaws in their game that can't be hidden in the nfl, and sometimes a guy just doesn't have the unbridled commitment to succeed that is required to overcome physical limitations that they may have.

The NFL FOs operate to protect their jobs, so doing things to satisfy the normal helps to provide job security. The idea being in the past, if you draft a young QB in the top 10 years ago that would give the FO, coaches, and assistants 3 years of job security. Even though this formula has proven to woefully inept over the years. No outside the box thinking outside of the organizations that provide great job security to their staffs (Ravens, Patriots, and Steelers come to mind). The Ravens satisfied the normal and paid Flacco, which they have admitted was a mistake. 

More formulas seem to be accepted by owners and we are seeing teams attack the QB spot in more ways. Many will point to data of the last 30 years to debate how a QB should be discovered, but it’s a new NFL and the next 10 years will be interesting to see what QBs are in the final four each season and what those guys ranked in pay that year.

For example, Brady’s cap hit this upcoming season is the same as Fitzpatrick, about 5% of the cap. Brady has also always been around 10% while with the Pats. Also why I believe Mahomes signed a crazy long term extension was to provide long term security, but also the team financial flexibility. A theory could be the elite QB must work with his team financially or he jeopardizes his value to the team. 

Is Fitzpatrick at $10mil more valuable than Tannenhill at $30mil, Kirk $33mil, Ryan $30mil, or Prescott $42mil??

Does Fitzpatrick provide the newly anointed unicorn situation of having an above average rookie QB on a rookie contract? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think one of the interesting recent trends in QBs in the last 5 years or so is that teams seem much more willing to cut a 1st round rookie loose pretty early and try again shortly afterwards if they feel he's not working out and they could get another option. Happened with Rosen, happened with Haskins. It used to be unheard of that a rookie wouldn't get at least 2-3 years. Even Ryan Leaf and Akili Smith got 2, Heath Shuler and Jamarcus Russel both got 3...and those guys were the biggest busts of all time.

I wonder if that speaks to how important teams realize having top QBs nowadays and so they just keep trying. The fact that there's a rookie salary cap helps that as well, so there's not a crapload of dead money a team has to eat if they decide the QB they picked isn't the guy. I have a feeling that the Giants and Eagles may very well be in the market for QBs next draft, and they both will have the capital to get one.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think one of the interesting recent trends in QBs in the last 5 years or so is that teams seem much more willing to cut a 1st round rookie loose pretty early and try again shortly afterwards if they feel he's not working out and they could get another option. Happened with Rosen, happened with Haskins. It used to be unheard of that a rookie wouldn't get at least 2-3 years. Even Ryan Leaf and Akili Smith got 2, Heath Shuler and Jamarcus Russel both got 3...and those guys were the biggest busts of all time.

I wonder if that speaks to how important teams realize having top QBs nowadays and so they just keep trying. The fact that there's a rookie salary cap helps that as well, so there's not a crapload of dead money a team has to eat if they decide the QB they picked isn't the guy. I have a feeling that the Giants and Eagles may very well be in the market for QBs next draft, and they both will have the capital to get one.

I think it's directly related to the rookie salary cap. Before, you lost tons of money letting a QB go early, especially the early 1st rd players. Now, you can cut your losses much easier. ANd i agree re the Giants and Eagles. Could be a bloodbath trying to get a top QB in next year's draft, especially since it appears to be a weak class for QBs. Someone will be jumping way up using lots of resources for a QB that most years would go in the 3rd rd. Just hope it is NOT us. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I think it's directly related to the rookie salary cap. Before, you lost tons of money letting a QB go early, especially the early 1st rd players. Now, you can cut your losses much easier. ANd i agree re the Giants and Eagles. Could be a bloodbath trying to get a top QB in next year's draft, especially since it appears to be a weak class for QBs. Someone will be jumping way up using lots of resources for a QB that most years would go in the 3rd rd. Just hope it is NOT us. 

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them take new high 1st round QBs next draft...and they both have 2 1st round picks (Eagles might actually end up with 3 1sts if Wentz plays well) so even if they don't end up with top 3 picks they could probably move up there. Even if there was a guy we really liked we wouldn't be able to compete with that sort of draft capital to move up.

I feel like Jones is who he is and his horrible pocket presence and knack for turning the ball over isn't going to change. And I think that even though Hurts showed some flashes he's going to come down to earth once teams can game plan more for him.

I have a hunch that we'll probably end up with Fitz as our starter next season as well...unless there's a QB who falls to the mid 1st that we like (I'm assuming that's around where we'll be picking) or maybe we take a flyer on a guy with upside in the 2nd. That or if Fitz gets injured or plays like crap and Heinicke come in and plays well and stays healthy we'd might roll with him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I have a hunch that we'll probably end up with Fitz as our starter next season as well...unless there's a QB who falls to the 32nd pick that we like (I'm assuming that's around where we'll be picking) or maybe we take a flyer on a guy with upside in the 2nd. That or if Fitz gets injured or plays like crap and Heinicke come in and plays well and stays healthy we'd might roll with him.

Fixed it for you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I am hoping that TH pans out for us as a quality starter or backup. I hope even more that Zampese coaches him into a QB that we can get 2x1st's for if we decide to trade him. Value if he sticks and value if he leaves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mudhog said:

I am hoping that TH pans out for us as a quality starter or backup. I hope even more that Zampese coaches him into a QB that we can get 2x1st's for if we decide to trade him. Value if he sticks and value if he leaves.

Uh, 2 1st round picks? I think that's just a tad unrealistic unless he literally turns into Aaron Rodgers overnight and stays at that level for at least a full season. The only guys who net 2 1st round picks are the top tier. Besides, if a guy is good enough to net 2 1st round picks, there's no way you'd be getting rid of him.

At this point if Fitz got hurt and Heinicke played pretty well we might be able to get a mid rounder for him. Maybe a 2nd if he truly lit it up. IIRC the Jags were shopping Minshew around (who Heinicke actually reminds me of) and the rumors were that they were looking to get a 3rd for him. And that's a guy who is young, cheap, and has started 20 games with 37 TDs to 11 INTs and a 62.9 completion percentage.

I think the reality is that we're probably not going to be getting many calls about trading for TH unless he absolutely blows up and turns in an MVP season...in which case we'd clearly keep him. If he got some playing time and did relatively well we might be able to flip him for a mid round pick. But to be honest I'd probably rather just keep him as a good backup in that case.

• Like 3

I honestly don’t think money is a factor in the the QB competition. I don’t think a few million is going to affect Rivera’s decision.  The main thing Fitz has going for him is experience and that’s huge. If Heinicke wins the job, he will have to outplay him by a large margin on the field.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Jarrett Patterson and Heinicke have several things in common ; including the very criteria, people use to doubt Heinicke.

But one strange difference.

- Both were undrafted

- Both were undersized

- Both went to smaller schools

- Both put up huge numbers against lesser competition.

Yet...before Patterson had even taken a handoff in Rookie Mini-Camp, numerous fans were already penciling him in, as a major contributor.

Meanwhile, Heinicke has gone beyond that, performing well in NFL regular season games, and even in a playoff game, against the impending Super Bowl Champs, and a top-ranked defense.

Yet, despite all the above, people still doubt Heinicke, but praise Patterson.
Tell me why ?

I'm not sure who is penciling in Patterson as a "major contributor", though I suppose you can find anything on the internet. Patterson does stand a good chance to make the final 53. Though I think that speaks to how weak the team's RB room is as much as anything. But even beyond that, the number of successful undrafted RBs is long. The number of successful undrafted QBs, particularly in the last 20 years or so, is very very very short.

19 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Another thing that doesn't make sense, is that all fans seem to know and realize that NFL Front Office pick 1st Round Busts repeatedly, all the time ; even OVERALL 1st Round Picks.

But yet, they don't consider the possibility, that those same far-from-perfect FO's who picked busts, could have possibly "missed" on a good player that they allowed to go undrafted.

How could people realize the erroneous ways of FO's that cause them to pick so many busts, but not consider that that surely means they would also be expected to "miss" on undrafted players ?

A bust is one team screwing up. An undrafted stud is 32 teams screwing up. Repeatedly. It does happen, but it's not super common as teams tend to be well run. And it's way more likely at certain positions.

With Heinicke, you have to go a level deeper. He not only was undrafted, but has been cut by multiple NFL teams. How many good players have that resume? And how many of them are QBs?

Look, it's pretty impressive what Heinicke has managed to do. 99% of players like him would be out of the league at this point. So kudos to him for still being able to get a job. But that doesn't make him a bona fide starter.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 9:30 PM, mistertim said:

I mean...ok, I'm willing to bump it up to 7%   :ols:

To me when Rivera told Heinicke that he'd have a chance to be the starter, he was being honest, but it wasn't the same as saying "You and Fitz will both be on completely equal footing". It meant he'd have a chance to win the job, but I'm guessing it would take Fitz really looking bad and Heinicke really looking great for that to happen. Now, obviously I don't know that for a fact since neither Rivera nor Turner often call me to discuss their football thoughts, but I feel like it's a pretty safe bet that Fitz is almost a completely lock to be the day 1 starter outside of injury.

They clearly liked Fitz enough to pay him $10 million for a season and so far the reports from OTAs have been pretty much universally glowing as far as how he's looked, how quick he's picking up the playbook, and how well he's building rapport with his teammates.

And I don't really agree with not knowing we have a bona fide starting QB. Fitz is a bona fide NFL starter. He's had his ups and downs through his career but his last couple of years he's been playing his best football by pretty much any metric out there.

Fitz is a great veteran signing, I was thrilled when he agreed to come here. I am very anxious to see him play here....but something tells me that TH is gonna look very good in preseason games. We will see how true RR is to his word about giving TH a chance to be the starter if he plays well this summer. 5-7% chance of beating out Fitz seems a little low to me. Here's hoping they both look great, Allen too. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Fitz is a great veteran signing, I was thrilled when he agreed to come here. I am very anxious to see him play here....but something tells me that TH is gonna look very good in preseason games. We will see how true RR is to his word about giving TH a chance to be the starter if he plays well this summer. 5-7% chance of beating out Fitz seems a little low to me. Here's hoping they both look great, Allen too. 

It would require Taylor winning over the locker room by a considerable margin. Not sure id put any one ahead of Fitzpatrick, in regards to his ability to win over the faith of a locker room. Rivera eats this kind of stuff up and appears to value intangibles a great deal (all coaches do, but Rivera seems to be on the extreme end, IMO). 

59 minutes ago, wit33 said:

It would require Taylor winning over the locker room by a considerable margin. Not sure id put any one ahead of Fitzpatrick, in regards to his ability to win over the faith of a locker room.

Heinicke has already done that.

So he actually has a head start over Fitz.

He won over the Team Captain, in no time.

And when you win over the Captain, and the most respected player on the team, it's safe to say you already won over the locker room.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Heinicke has already done that.

So he actually has a head start over Fitz.

He won over the Team Captain, in no time.

And when you win over the Captain, and the most respected player on the team, it's safe to say you already won over the locker room.

Chase Young strikes me as the type of leader that’s going to hype up whoever is at the QB spot. With that said, Taylor made plays that created imprinted visuals in our minds of Chase pointing at Taylor’s jersey on national tv. 

Let me put it this way, the difference... Fitz will be voted a team captain and have the same cache as Young does with the FO, coaches, fans, and teammates. Fitz will not require an endorsement by another player, you know. 

21 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

Money dictates that Fitzpatrick is the starter, but if there's a competition, Heinicke will give him a run for his money.  

Initially yes.

But there is not such a huge disparity between their incomes, that it would preclude a QB switch this season ; even early in the season.

Fitz is the starter. For how long, we don't know. It's possible, but not likely TH beats him out in preseason. Again, not likely.

But as the season rolls on, I think TH's chances increase.

At the same time, it would not surprise me at all, to see Fitz last the whole season.

There is a lot of scenes to play out in this drama, before we can say anything with any certainty.

But I see them giving Fitz every chance possible. Not just because of salary and his experience. But Ron does not want to repeat the QB carousel from last year.

At the same, he's not untouchable. 10 Million, or whatever his salary is, is not an unbenchable salary

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

I think one of the most significant keys to this discussion is RR's comment after last season's QB fiasco. I cannot give you the exact quote, but the drift of his comment was how much he regretted not having a clearly open competition for the starting QB position. You can put money on it that he will not make that mistake this year. Fitzmagic is the No. 1 QB at the moment, but he will have to compete with Heinicke and Allen (and even Montez?) during training camp and preseason games before he takes the field against the Chargers in September. Can Heinicke come out on top? I don't know. We're just going to have to wait and see -- and that's half the fun!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

I think one of the most significant keys to this discussion is RR's comment after last season's QB fiasco. I cannot give you the exact quote, but the drift of his comment was how much he regretted not having a clearly open competition for the starting QB position. You can put money on it that he will not make that mistake this year. Fitzmagic is the No. 1 QB at the moment, but he will have to compete with Heinicke and Allen (and even Montez?) during training camp and preseason games before he takes the field against the Chargers in September. Can Heinicke come out on top? I don't know. We're just going to have to wait and see -- and that's half the fun!

I have a feeling that was more an indication of how ****ty Haskins ended up being than anything else. Rivera has said it's a competition but he's also been quite vocal about the need to find a new QB (even after Heinicke played well) and about how excited he is to have Fitz here. 

I still think Heinicke will be given the chance to win the job, but it will be a very steep uphill climb to unseat Fitz given how quickly he seems to have won over the players and coaches. 

15 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

These two back to back statements from that article seem at odds:

The hype train was bound to go flying out of control, but within that hype is a truth: He's an extremely talented quarterback.

The question mark on Heinicke has always been his health. He has two NFL starts, and both games ended with him being injured.

So on one hand he's saying the hype train was bound to get out of control...but then adds to it by saying he's an extremely talented QB...but then admits that he's only started two NFL games. How can he know he's an extremely talented NFL QB after he's only started 2 games? That seems like the very definition of pushing the hype train which he just seemingly warned about.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Initially yes.

But there is not such a huge disparity between their incomes, that it would preclude a QB switch this season ; even early in the season.

Fitz is the starter. For how long, we don't know. It's possible, but not likely TH beats him out in preseason. Again, not likely.

But as the season rolls on, I think TH's chances increase.

At the same time, it would not surprise me at all, to see Fitz last the whole season.

There is a lot of scenes to play out in this drama, before we can say anything with any certainty.

But I see them giving Fitz every chance possible. Not just because of salary and his experience. But Ron does not want to repeat the QB carousel from last year.

At the same, he's not untouchable. 10 Million, or whatever his salary is, is not an unbenchable salary

Fitz vs Heinicke is a great matchup in a lot of ways because they are similar QB's in some ways but both have advantages over the other. Fitz has experience while TH has the legs to run. Both are valuable. Both see the field well and play with tremendous confidence. I agree, the money isn't gonna have anything to do with who starts...it'll be all about who wins the job and who the coaches have the most confidence in. 

• Like 2

I feel like Kyle Allen is getting totally lost in this QB "controversy".  He was the best quarterback on the roster last season up until his injury.  All of this stuff is going to heighten during the preseason when they actually start playing and Fitztragic inevitably shows up.