Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Trebek, Jeopardy legend, passes from cancer.

The Evil Genius

It's gonna keep coming.  

This is going to be an epic self-own.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/08/19/mike-richards-podcast-clips/

Seven years before Mike Richards was named the new host of “Jeopardy!”, he was the host of another program, a podcast called “The Randumb Show.”

In one episode that aired on Sept. 4, 2014, after an iCloud hack led to intimate images of female celebrities being disseminated online, Richards asked his co-host if she had ever taken nude photos of herself, according to an in-depth report published in the Ringer, which included audio clips.

“Answer it right now to your fans,” Richards told his co-host, Beth Triffon. “Have you?”

Laughing, Triffon said she hadn’t.

“Yes, you have,” Richards insisted.

“I’ve taken, like, cute pictures of myself,” she said, explaining that they were not nude photos.

“Like boobie pictures?” Richards asked.

Richards frequently made such inappropriate comments about women and their bodies, as well as disparaging remarks about Jewish people and poor people, on the podcast that he hosted between 2013 and 2014, according to a review of all 41 episodes by the Ringer’s Claire McNear.

In another episode, for example, a guest made a nonspecific comment about big noses, according to the Ringer, which detailed the episode but did not post its audio. Richards jumped in: “Ix-nay on the ose-nay,” he allegedly said, speaking pig Latin. “She’s not an ew-Jay.”

• Thumb up 1

I don't know who Mike Richards is and I don't watch much Jeopardy anymore.  But because this is the internet and I have opinions, I think he seemed to be a pretty poor choice to begin with.  Mayim Bialik or LeVar Burton were way more recognizable and better to begin with.  Ken Jennings, too.

That said...once, just once, I'd like someone who loses a job or a position over something they said years ago to just be like "Yeah, I said it.  I don't apologize for anything that I said almost a decade ago, I hope anyone who made the decision to fire me doesn't have anyone scouring the internet for things that they might have said a long time ago, either."

• Like 2

Lavar Burton was less than good though (and I was hyped for him because he's a good dude). And Blossom is/was an antivaxxer. Probably not the image needed in a pandemic. 

I was surprised she was given the special edition role as host when they nsmed Richards.. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

The host needs to be someone who can keep the flow of the game going and can work off script well and interact with the contestants.

Lavar Burton was not a good host. Too many awkward pauses and killed the flow of the games (could be editing, but this didnt seem to be the case for most other hosts). I think this comes from working from a script most of his career. Not a good replacement..i think people have some serious rose tinted glasses when it comes to him, but he just wasnt good..was rooting for him when they added him, but he was just not good.

Ken Jennings got 1/2 of the formula right, but was a robot when it came to speaking with the contestants. He was a bit pompous to me as well.

Mike Richards was probably right behind Faber to me..very unknown, and dont really care about his past. 

Katie Couric/Anderson Cooper suffered from slowing the game down by repeating the correct answers too many times (ie reading the full name). It was a slog.

Oz was ok, but if Mike Richards had too much baggage, no way Oz gets a nod.

Aaron Rodgers was one of the better hosts. A dry sense of humor, but kept the flow of the games going and interacted well with the contestants. 

Bill Whitaker put me to sleep, very monotone. 

Buzzy...i dont remember him to be honest, so may have been a middle of the road host. i do remember his dumb glasses.

Mayim Bialik was good I thought, but figured she wouldnt get the full time gig.

Guthrie was so/so..had similar issues to Cooper/Couric, but was a bit more personable.

Gupta was a decent host I thought..dont remember too many negatives from him and he seemed personable.

Stephanopoulos - was travelling, so didnt see him host.

Robin Roberts - ditto - would have liked to have seen her

Faber was probably one of the best hosts. Good flow of the game, very personable and off the cuff with the contestants. Really liked him.

Joe Buck, as OK as he did, I dont think I could see him day in day out for Jeopardy.

I think they should keep rolling with the guest hosts if none of the above can fill in fulltime.

I think this guy is getting cancelled because, as the shows producer, he essentially picked himself. This whole scenario has been a s show from the beginning. The network should have been like uh, no buddy, you aren’t picking yourself. Lol. Try again. 

The things he said in the past are just icing on the cake as to why he should have never been the choice to begin with. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I had no idea Mayim was an anti-vaxxer...if that's true, it totally changes my opinion of her. 

Fwiw and tbf, it's complicated. Her position has evolved in the last 10 years. Perhaps renewed fame causes the change...or maybe she has evolved as well.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

So Mike Richards got fired for - essentially - saying "boobies" on a Podcast that nobody listened to 10 years ago. 

Supposedly there's a long history of misogynistic comments on his podcast.

Whether that kind of thing from 8 years ago disqualifies him as a host is something reasonable people can disagree about, but let's not be silly enough to claim he lost the position for saying boobies.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, mattsb84 said:

Ken Jennings got 1/2 of the formula right, but was a robot when it came to speaking with the contestants.

Just have to get this off my chest as an avid Jeopardy watcher.  The 4 minutes of talking to the guests is the worst 4 minutes on television, no matter who the host is.  Especially when it's a typical contestant (i.e. a librarian, lawyer, researcher, teacher) who has no personality, which is 90% of them and they win multiple rounds so you get to like the fifth time they have to try to say something interesting about themselves when they've already failed at it 4 times and they end up either (a) telling a not funny story about their cat, (b) telling an embarrassing and cringey anecdote about themselves or their spouse or (c) totally spacing and looking like a deer in headlights for their 30 seconds while Alex tries to pull them through to the end.  It's not the host, its the people the host has to work with.  

This is why I DVR every episode, so I can fast forward past that ****.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

Cancelled.

I still contend that Andy Richter should be the host. Nobody listens to me. He is absolute legend for wiping the floor with Wolf Blitzer. 

I'm intrigued by this. With Conan's show signing off, he's got the time.  I would like to see him guest host and see how it goes.  He's sharp, funny, quick on his feet.  It could work.