Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They should just the him go now.  So unfair to do what they are doing now.  Let him find his new home now.  Why hold onto him for a few more days.  SMH.  

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

The stadium is like a bad slot machine right now.

The reels keep going hot but when you go in there's no payoff.

I'm pretty much all speculated out this off-season, I can't wait for free agency to actually begin.

Again, if you wait long enough, you'll get to experience the thrill of the Brissett Saga, and all the worthy draft pick compensations he deserves

2 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Would trade the whole draft for Zach Wilson.... yes, I think he's that good.

Also, I mentioned a crazy scenario regarding Drew Brees in the FA thread. They are in cap hell and most likely looking to move on/get out of his contract (or he may just retire). Maybe a late rounder and his contract bring him here for this year if we can't draft one early and perhaps a mid-rounder on someone like Mond, Mills, or Newman?

Drew’s skills are declining. He’s considering retiring for a reason.

52 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Again, if you wait long enough, you'll get to experience the thrill of the Brissett Saga, and all the worthy draft pick compensations he deserves

LOL, He's actually a free agent this year. 

11 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

What kind of contract do those in the know think Mariota will command?

I’m not in the know but my guess would be 10-14 base with incentives that can get him to 18-24 if he actually plays and plays well. Not sure how long we’ll go maybe 2-3 years max. With not too much of a signing bonus. Just a guess 🤷🏽‍♂️.

6 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I’m not in the know but my guess would be 10-14 base with incentives that can get him to 18-24 if he actually plays and plays well. Not sure how long we’ll go maybe 2-3 years max. With not too much of a signing bonus. Just a guess 🤷🏽‍♂️.

There are 3 - 4 QBs I could see us targeting on 2-3 year deals to come in and ... maybe not be a stopgap ... but be serviceable starters (With Upside) but not so expensive it won't prohibit us from drafting a QB at some point if one falls/fits better and makes it easy to get out of said contract.

Winston, Mariota, Trubisky, Brissett.

While none of those guys would necessarily inspire much excitement, they'd be solid starters. But none of them would prohibit you from drafting, say, Trey Lance if he were to fall to #19 ... or better yet, to grab a David Mills or Kellen Mond in the 3rd or 4th round this year. Or you can just roll with them in 2021 without adding a rookie QB and if they're solid. And if they end up playing really well in 2021, you conceivably have a good QB on a market-friendly deal. I would still think unless one of them just absolutely balls out and hits their ceiling that you're probbaly still looking for a franchise guy in the draft in 2021 or 2022, but with less pressure

In reality, those guys probably sign 1-2 year deals so they can hit the market again when it is flush with cash and they've proven they can start. But the door is also open to retaining them long-term if they end up realizing their ceilings.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 2

If Mariota gets released, he's a no brainer dude to chase over Darnold at least in my opinon.  For me, I think Mariota is better. I am not in love with any of these 2nd-3rd tier type guys but Mariota at least has some serious wheels so maybe they can figure something out on that front.  But the big part of this for me is Mariota would come for nothing but money whereas Darnold likely costs us a 2nd and change.  

For me its Mariota or Fitzpatrick.   Maybe Winston if the Saints don't bring him back. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 8

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Mariota gets released, he's a no brainer dude to chase over Darnold at least in my opinon.  For me, I think Mariota is better. I am not in love with any of these 2nd-3rd tier type guys but Mariota at least has some serious wheels so maybe they can figure something out on that front.  But the big part of this for me is Mariota would come for nothing but money whereas Darnold likely costs us a 2nd and change.  

For me is Mariota or Fitzpatrick.   Maybe Winston if the Saints don't bring him back. 

Yep, not a fan either but better than trading picks

49 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Part of me thinks maybe that Trubisky might be a good flier to take.  He showed some good flashes at the end of the season.....

He threw a perfect bomb to start that playoff game against the Saints off a fleaflicker and the WR dropped it in the end zone. Right in the bread basket. 

Trubisky is intriguing on paper. He actually has a career 29-21 record and decent stats. (6.7 career YPA is pretty garbage though)

On tape... he throws some really poor deep balls. Its gotta be his arm strength, defenders close distances fast against him. He can make really nice throws to the sidelines but defenses take that away too and easily bait him in the middle of the field.

His ability on rollouts and off playaction is nice. Could work in our offense. He played better when Nagy gave up the play calling. Maybe he can be coached up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Assuming Mariota gets released, I think there's a pretty good chance our QB in 2021 is one of:

Mariota, Trubisky, Winston, Brissett

My guesses are:

Mariota or Darnold or Fitzpatrick or Dalton or T. Taylor.  If I had to guess it in order:

1.  Mariota

2.  Darnold

3.  Dalton

4.  Fitzpatrick

5.  Taylor

Edited by Skinsinparadise