Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

Watson will never be in our range. Should let it go. Wait to see how the Dak situation plays out. If he stays, draft a guy and roll with what we have. Live to fight another day.

Trading a 1st/2nd for guys like marriota/Carr is blasphemy. The only qb outside of Watson we should even entertain is Matt Ryan, because he could be had for less assets. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

There have been 4 full NFL seasons since then.  And he was 13th in QBR in 2016 (easily his best year) with very modest passing totals.  The TD:INT ratio was nice.  Still only completed 61% of his passes.  Big yawn.

Still better than any option we currently have and much more realistic than the pipe-dream of obtaining Watson. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He fits the criteria of a buy low good upside option. What would it take to get him? 3rd round pick? I like the idea of a former high round pick(talent) still young with a chip on their shoulder. Obviously he adds the mobility that we covet. A bigger, stronger, faster version of Allen and Heinicke. You could have them all compete and barring injury the show rolls on. 

Of the lower tier options I like:

1) Mariota

2) Darnold

3) Tyrod/Trubisky

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

He fits the criteria of a buy low good upside option. What would it take to get him? 3rd round pick? I like the idea of a former high round pick(talent) still young with a chip on their shoulder. Obviously he adds the mobility that we covet. A bigger, stronger, faster version of Allen and Heinicke. You could have them all compete and barring injury the show rolls on. 

Of the lower tier options I like:

1) Mariota

2) Darnold

3) Tyrod/Trubisky

I'd be ok with Mariotta as an option, gives Heiny a chance to compete for starting QB. Also, wasn't Tannehill written off before Tennessee revived his career, or vice versa, or both? Some of these younger guys are products of 1). being rushed in and 2). poor coaching. 

If we believe in our coaches, give them someone with tools and see what they can do with him. 

• Like 1

Just don't see the Jets giving up the farm for Watson. They have a young QB now and they have the 2nd pick. They could trade that pick for at least 2 #1s plus and build their team. Watson is not putting them in the SB. They can pick one of the top college QB with that pick and move Darnold if they want for more pics. Don't see Miami giving up the farm either. Are they going to give up on Tua after playing him a half a year? He proved his injury did not hurt him. Texans said they do not want Watson in their conference. We have a good shot. 2 #1s and Payne. Take it or leave it. Texans want good young cheap players and they proved they will let real good guys leave. If they can get Payne they could move Watt. Another high paid guy who wants out. I would rather trade pics for a proven player than another college hopeful. Watson is the 4th best QB in the league and he is what, 25? This opportunity does not come around often. I say get Watson. We would have the best QB in the division for years to come. Pick up a receiver and MLB in FA and we could hang with the better teams in our conference for once.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

ALEX SMITH 2021!!! All he does is win games.

Currently my opinion has changed and it likely will again.  I think it's most likely he chooses to play.  WFT, depending on the off-season, will have a QB competition with 4 QBs and I suspect it's 50/50 that Alex Smith is one of them.  I don't think Alex had been running the offense like Turner envisions, rather Heinicke did.  That example and the fact Alex had watched it, might serve him well with a second year in the offense.  I think he would need to comeback with improved strength and added mobility.  Yes, that is possible.  Adding QB like  Marcus Mariota, etc., might not be good for Alex's chance for a second try at Turners offense. 

39 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Watson will never be in our range. Should let it go. Wait to see how the Dak situation plays out. If he stays, draft a guy and roll with what we have. Live to fight another day.

Trading a 1st/2nd for guys like marriota/Carr is blasphemy. The only qb outside of Watson we should even entertain is Matt Ryan, because he could be had for less assets. 

Do you really want to pay Dak 40mil for years to come? I say let him milk Dallas dry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Honestly, Tennessee did a terrible job at developing an offense around Mariota's skillset. Hes still only 27 and seems to fit what Rivera and Co. are looking for. Imagine keeping our picks and then being able to draft Kyle Pitts or Jaylen Waddle to give him some more weapons. 

Idk man, the same crew that fixed Tannehill in that system couldn’t fix what the previous staff had done to Mariota, but Turner and crew are supposed to? Marriota should have been a perfect fit for what Tannehill is doing in that offense and was an even better prospect coming out. I’m skeptical he can be salvaged. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Currently my opinion has changed and it likely will again.  I think it's most likely he chooses to play.  WFT, depending on the off-season, will have a QB competition with 4 QBs and I suspect it's 50/50 that Alex Smith is one of them.  I don't think Alex had been running the offense like Turner envisions, rather Heinicke did.  That example and the fact Alex had watched it, might serve him well with a second year in the offense.  I think he would need to comeback with improved strength and added mobility.  Yes, that is possible.  Adding QB like  Marcus Mariota, etc., might not be good for Alex's chance for a second try at Turners offense. 

Smith Heinicke and Allen. 3 totally different QBs that can't be game planned for and never stay healthy. It's the new wave of the NFL.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Idk man, the same crew that fixed Tannehill in that system couldn’t fix what the previous staff had done to Mariota, but Turner and crew are supposed to? Marriota should have been a perfect fit for what Tannehill is doing in that offense and was an even better prospect coming out. I’m skeptical he can be salvaged. 

I'm suspect as well.  Marcus Mariota had a different OC every year, four in fact. 

1 minute ago, TheShredder said:

I'm suspect as well.  Marcus Mariota had a different OC every year, four in fact. 

Good point...he's an interesting option. Maybe we get him and then use the Oregon offense he thrived in same as Shanny used the Baylor offense for RGlll? I'm being sarcastic but if a guy has skills and can be coached up in a new offense that's one way you steal a guy. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Do you really want to pay Dak 40mil for years to come? I say let him milk Dallas dry.

And keep all our picks? God yes please, if he’s looking healthy. 

He won’t quite cost 40M/year either. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

Good point...he's an interesting option. Maybe we get him and then use the Oregon offense he thrived in same as Shanny used the Baylor offense for RGlll? I'm being sarcastic but if a guy has skills and can be coached up in a new offense that's one way you steal a guy. 

That's a thought too.  It's apparent that RR is in win more mode and measured with a FO that is planning to fill voids with being ready for any opportunity.  As far as QB, Turners base offense might be tweaked to strengths of the best player at the end of camp.

Call me whatever for saying it but I kind of trust the new FO and coaches now.  Might be fools gold but I'm a supporter until proven otherwise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

Mariota has something to prove, and I think that's the kind of player RR likes and does well with. 

Since they'd have to trade for him I'd think that puts Alex out with their combined salaries.  I'd guess Marcus Mariota would be behind Allen and Heinicke with scheme understanding for awhile.  Might not be a Week 1 starter after that QB competition but would likely get a shot climbing up a depth chart slot and a guy goes out.  I just see evidence that he doesn't learn scheme quickly. 

15 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

Mariota has something to prove, and I think that's the kind of player RR likes and does well with. 

During his three years as a full time starter, minus the injury years and his rookie season, he averaged 3,100 yards 16 TD 11 INT per season.

I'd say the one thing he still has yet to prove is whether or not he can even be a marginal starting QB. He's Alex Smith as a passer, with slightly more athleticism, a much higher INT rate, and fewer wins.

2 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Since they'd have to trade for him I'd think that puts Alex out with their combined salaries.  I'd guess Marcus Mariota would be behind Allen and Heinicke with scheme understanding for awhile.  Might not be a Week 1 starter after that QB competition but would likely get a shot climbing up a depth chart slot and a guy goes out.  I just see evidence that he doesn't learn scheme quickly. 

Just now, mhd24 said:

Gruden likes Mariotta.  He's going to have choose between Carr and Mariotta.  Why would he trade with us?  We did Jay wrong.  If he can trade Carr to say Chicago, he'd do that before trading with us.

You're likely right, but Gruden is getting into dicey territory and needs to make the playoffs next year. His defense sucks...bad. Would he trade Marriota for Settle and a 5th? I doubt he turns his back on RR just because Jay was fired. A good deal is a good deal and business is business. 

Just now, kingdaddy said:

You're likely right, but Gruden is getting into dicey territory and needs to make the playoffs next year. His defense sucks...bad. Would he trade Marriota for Settle and a 5th? I doubt he turns his back on RR just because Jay was fired. A good deal is a good deal and business is business. 

Yeah, but Chicago needs a QB badly.  They are in even a dicier position than we are (I like Allen and Heineke) because their roster is aging.  

I could see Carr+Raiders 2021 2nd for Chicago's 2021 1st+2021 3rd as a template of a deal.