Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome and Hail to the Washington Football Team

Burgold

30 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

and also be a bit of a censored protest of having our traditions stripped away from us

Ironic argument to evoke in defense of this team’s own much-maligned cultural appropriation. 

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

They’re creating content. Julie is already making a big difference. There’s a ground work being laid here. It’s actually pretty exciting.

I have to say the homepage for the team looks so much better than in years past. Already seems they are getting with the times.

52 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

Maybe the band should play HTTR, and we solemnly not sing any words... It would be like Spain's national anthem (no lyrics) and also be a bit of a censored protest of having our traditions stripped away from us

I think you would find many people would sing the fight song if it's played. The protest part would be that. Not singing it would make it seem like everyone had moved on.

8 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Has that been confirmed there will be no fans at Washington's games ?

AFIK, the league was letting each team decide on that. And I had not heard an official announcement from Washington regarding fans, but maybe I missed it.

I think the entire league will have a consensus on this by the time it matters personally. It’s not official yet. 

20 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I wonder if it’ll affect touchdown celebrations.

Has to, right? The fight song is gonna be dead too, so we need a new tradition. A season with no fans allows for some workshopping or at least a settling in period to prepare for whatever comes along with a new name next year. 

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Ironic argument to evoke in defense of this team’s own much-maligned cultural appropriation. 

Eh, not really since nothing was stripped away from NAs. Plus the argument was about racism, not appropriation.

52 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

AFIK, the league was letting each team decide on that. And I had not heard an official announcement from Washington regarding fans, but maybe I missed it.

I gotta admit, it took me a few seconds to realize no fans were in the stadium...

6 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Eh, not really since nothing was stripped away from NAs.

...you’re joking, right? Or I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying? Since their culture was literally maliciously stripped away with forethought and purpose in many instances.

6 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Plus the argument was about racism, not appropriation.

I’m not going to do this again with you but the argument was never “just” about racism, that was however the most popular media narrative, yes. Cultural appropriation was also a large part of it though, especially from my observations on social media of actual individual members of Native tribes and reservations. I’d argue that among the individuals I saw actively campaigning for the change (rather than the “overall” general media narrative), concerns about cultural appropriation were even more prevalent (the idea that an organization owned by a billionaire—already exploitative almost by definition—would profit off of the likeness etc. of a mistreated and systematically culturally dismantled population).

26 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

...you’re joking, right? Or I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying? Since their culture was literally maliciously stripped away with forethought and purpose in many instances.

I’m not going to do this again with you but the argument was never “just” about racism, that was however the most popular media narrative, yes. Cultural appropriation was also a large part of it though, especially from my observations on social media of actual individual members of Native tribes and reservations. I’d argue that among the individuals I saw actively campaigning for the change (rather than the “overall” general media narrative), concerns about cultural appropriation were even more prevalent (the idea that an organization owned by a billionaire—already exploitative almost by definition—would profit off of the likeness etc. of a mistreated and systematically culturally dismantled population).

EDIT: got too political for the Stadium lol...just imagine my response instead. 👍

15 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

1) Appropriation isn't the same as stripping away. Stripping away is stopping something...no Native American was deprived of anything concerning their culture, at all.

This is...as incorrect as you can possibly get on this topic. But I think you must know that and there’s simply a miscommunication here. Under Teddy Roosevelt for instance, on the reservations where they were placed, Natives were forced to cut their hair and were not allowed to make many of their important cultural items, such as blankets, literally stripping them of their identities in order to more directly force assimilation. They were stripped of so much that it’s almost beyond comprehension to imagine it happening to hundreds of thousands of people in a concerted effort.

Obviously the Washington NFL franchise didn’t do these things, but my comment about “irony” was just in general, it’s poor form to use wording like that in relation to this issue, period. “Traditions stripped from us”, I mean come on. It’s practically on the nose. No one asked you to jump onto my comment but you felt the need to push back on it, as you often do on this topic, despite my meaning being very clear and the connection extremely easy to make. Something about this topic just really gets to you, and I certainly wasn’t trying to poke at that for the record.

15 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

2) The argument provided by the lead activists was ALWAYS about racism...they didn't try to get the trademark protections revoked on the grounds of cultural appropriation. Activists in the 70s didn't meet with team officials to try and get them to not use the name due to cultural appropriation. Sponsors didn't request a name change due to cultural appropriation. The letter put forth by the NCAI president didn't compare the uniform and name to the Confederate flag due to both being cultural appropriations. You can't "appropriate" a racial slur, which is what this debate has always referred to "Redskins" as. There's a reason you 're not seeing just as strong a movement against the Chiefs or Braves right now.

This stuff is delving  too deeply into the specific name change topic that is relegated to the Tailgate, and we’ve also gone over it in the past, so I don’t feel the need to fully address it here or we’ll fall into it completely. Needless to repeat, I do not agree that we can so easily boil the issue down to one overarching “reason” just because it’s the most easy surface narrative that was the most prevalent, even if it was the one championed by the nationally visible advocacy groups, used in courts, etc. I know and have witnessed MANY arguments for other reasons (including cultural appropriation) from those on the ground so to speak who personally care about this issue, and it certainly isn’t your place or right to decide what “THE” problem people had with the old dead name was, there were many. You don’t get to take that away from the people the issue is important to just because it wasn’t what the big groups were pushing in court, in the media, or anywhere else. It was a valid concern of many and for many, was bigger than the idea of “racism” was. 

It’s all irrelevant now, it’s done. I’m just responding to the commentary you had on my “irony” post.

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Read my edited post above lol...

There’s nothing political about this discussion at all, though I agree that it ventures too far into the name change specifics that are better left to the Tailgate, so, understood. I’m not sure what you thought would happen when you made the comment you did quoting me, but it’s better left unsaid anyways lol. 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

There’s nothing political about this discussion at all, though I agree that it ventures too far into the name change specifics that are better left to the Tailgate, so, understood. I’m not sure what you thought would happen when you made the comment you did quoting me, but it’s better left unsaid anyways lol. 

You know me, I write and post and THEN think of what I just wrote and posted lol...

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

And I said what I said--especially the "in this thread" part--regardless of how defensive or reactionary you want to be.

Right. Come in, make a racist comment then hide behind the rules. I understand. Just wanted to point it out. I won't argue.

8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So far all I've heard is the raiders will have no fans neither will the giants or jets and the packers wont for the first 2 weeks than they will evaluate things.

36 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

So far all I've heard is the raiders will have no fans neither will the giants or jets and the packers wont for the first 2 weeks than they will evaluate things.

And it looks like the teams that do plan to have fans, they seem very tentative and non-comittal, like it's subject to change at any moment, which is understandable.

Archived