Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

6 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

So what other options are out there for OC. 

So far we have:

-Turner, gross.

-Turner with a passing consultant, return of the bingo caller, double gross.

-Zampese, Turner 2.0

-Kingsburry, Air Raid guy like Howell had success with in NC.

-Joe Brady, Young and hungry just the way I like them.

Todd Downing, mentioned above.

Zac Robinson, Rams - if McVay leaves.

Dorsey has a good chance of landing an HC job.  If so, Brady would stay in Buffalo I’d imagine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

Understandable. He hasn’t even had his own job evaluated yet, hasn’t been told what’s happening with ownership yet, hasn’t finished evaluating his staff and roster yet. It’s kind of a dumb time to have a press conference, but you have to get it in now because technically he may not be here for the next one. Obviously we doubt he’s gone, but there’s always a chance of that so the first post-regular season presser is always too early and basically useless. 

We’ll have a lot more info (and the beginning of the ownership leaks imo) next week. 

I listened to the whole thing.  Agree not much said.  My takeaways.

A.  Scott is likely gone.  But I wonder if they can do it?  Dan hates firing assistant coaches and eating contracts let alone do it on his way out.

B.  Wentz is gone.  Heinicke might be back.  Howell in play for QB 1 but depends on who becomes available.  And they likely add a QB to the room

C.  they want to build the team in the mode of the Titans-49ers

D.  they want to beef the O line and realize they can't have the same issues at center moving forward

E.  Joint-training camp

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Here’s what should happen Monday.

Danya confirms that yes, we are selling the team. We will know if they are truly selling and maybe a clue to if we are close to a sale. Well, hopefully we know.

Dan should tell Ron & Martin when he expects the team to be sold and when he expects the new owners to take over. He should tell them not to make any big spending decisions until the new owners take over.  So, that means no trading for a qb and no signing a qb to a big deal. Also, likely means losing Payne. Ron & Martin need to know the parameters of what should be a limited offseason until the sale is approved.

I think if Dan tells them to proceed as normal; then a sale isn’t immenant. That doesn’t mean a sale isn’t happening; it just means a sale likely happening later in the offseason, after free agency starts.

7 minutes ago, HogsVa7 said:

I believe Scott Turner will be here next year. I don't think Ron will let him go. I don't see anyone wanting to come here as an oc knowing they will be looking for another job after next season with the new owner in place.

I hadn't thought about that. Lame duck season means we are only a landing spot for those desperate and unqualified. On the other hand if they come in and our offense can match the defense, might be good enough for everyone to keep their jobs. 

Edited by CobraCommander
  • Like 2

So we invested in all these resources in WRs, receiving TEs, WRs turned RBs, to now be a run first team? And traded assets for an expensive QB to sling it around.  Scrap all that, I guess.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

How are you not worried about something that potentially affects your ability to do your job.  It being out of my hands would make me worry more than if I controlled it.  lol

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I listened to the whole thing.  Agree not much said.  My takeaways.

A.  Scott is likely gone.  But I wonder if they can do it?  Dan hates firing assistant coaches and eating contracts let alone do it on his way out.

B.  Wentz is gone.  Heinicke might be back.  Howell in play for QB 1 but depends on who becomes available.  And they likely add a QB to the room

C.  they want to build the team in the mode of the Titans-49ers

D.  they want to beef the O line and realize they can't have the same issues at center moving forward

E.  Joint-training camp

I’m not the biggest Rivera basher on here, but that point about being like the 49ers and Titans is such a cop out. If that was the case, then last offseason was a total disaster.  Why bring in Wentz? Why use a first rounder on a WR when Johnson, Penning, Smith, and Lindebaum were all available? Why not use the money saved from Wentz and be more effective with OL FA?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I’m not the biggest Rivera basher on here, but that point about being like the 49ers and Titans is such a cop out. If that was the case, then last offseason was a total disaster.  Why bring in Wentz? Why use a first rounder on a WR when Johnson, Penning, Smith, and Lindebaum were all available? Why not use the money saved from Wentz and be more effective with OL FA?

My guess is they realized midseason its their best shot of winning like it was the previous year with the current slate of QBs, and they are spinning things accordingly.

I am used to though coaches spinning, its what most of them do.  Shanny was over the top on that front, Ron not as bad but he does it a ton, too. 

According to Keim they are privately upset about how the season turned out.  But clearly they don't want to go public with that narrative.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My guess is they realized midseason its their best shot of winning like it was the previous year with the current slate of QBs, and they are spinning things accordingly.

I am used to though coaches spinning, its what most of them do.  Shanny was over the top on that front, Ron not as bad but he does it a ton, too. 

According to Keim they are privately upset about how the season turned out.  But clearly they don't want to go public with that narrative.

Sounds like the ceremony honoring The Hogs really sunk in for the coaching staff. Better get back to that formula that won us 3 SB's. 

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Again, they should have played Howell when Wentz went down.  They didn't think he was ready mentally and I think he was, and we would be playing this week.  :)

Edited by RWJ

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Again, they should have played Howell when Wentz went down.  They didn't think he was ready mentally and I think he was, and we would be playing this week.  :)

Maybe but its spilled milk regardless, so I don't really care. 

7 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Sounds like the ceremony honoring The Hogs really sunk in for the coaching staff. Better get back to that formula that won us 3 SB's. 

To me it wasn't a revelation.  When they've won whether this year or last its from playing Marty Ball.

IMO they got to pick a lane though.  I agree with those who think with Wentz they thought they can air it out.  But I do sense and that press conference is the kicker to me that they decided to pick a lane and ride this formula and will orient their off season accordingly.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe but its spilled milk regardless, so I don't really care. 

We might have cared if we were playing in the playoffs with an 11-5 record.  Just contemplating and saying. :)

39 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Todd Downing, mentioned above.

Zac Robinson, Rams - if McVay leaves.

Dorsey has a good chance of landing an HC job.  If so, Brady would stay in Buffalo I’d imagine.

Is Joe Brady the guy that coached up Joe Burrough at LSU? From the Sean Payton tree? He could be very interesting. 

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

We might have cared if we were playing in the playoffs with an 11-5 record.  Just contemplating and saying. :)

I guess the reason why I am not pissed about it is i don't know that Howell would have tore it up if he played earlier.  When it comes to young QBs, I don't mind nurturing them some and starting them in a situation where they are in the better spot to succeed.  They see him in practice so if that's how they felt, I am OK with that.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I guess the reason why I am not pissed about it is i don't know that Howell would have tore it up if he played earlier.  When it comes to young QBs, I don't mind nurturing them some and starting them in a situation where they are in the better spot to succeed.  They see him in practice so if that's how they felt, I am OK with that.

Purdy had a shot and I think that Howell is a much better QB overall than Purdy.  Yes, Shanny Jr. is in charge of the play calling but I just think that Howell could have taken us to the playoffs even with the below average OC Turner.  It's a moot point now but just what I think could have happened if given the opportunity.  

18 minutes ago, shemp nixon said:

Is Joe Brady the guy that coached up Joe Burrough at LSU? From the Sean Payton tree? He could be very interesting. 

Yes, from the article i posted on the previous page.

"Brady became a nationally known name when he helped take LSU’s offense from the No. 38 scoring offense in college football in 2018 to maybe the best offense the sport has ever seen in 2019.

LSU hired Brady away from the New Orleans Saints, where he was serving as an offensive assistant, before the 2019 season.

Former Tigers head coach Ed Orgeron was looking for someone who could take LSU’s offense to the next level and he felt like Brady and his knowledge of RPOs (run-pass options) would be a perfect choice.

Orgeron turned out to be correct. Under Brady’s watch, current Cincinnati Bengals quarterback and former LSU star Joe Burrow went from a middle-of-the-road SEC starting quarterback to a bonafide superstar and eventual No. 1 pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Brady’s innovative usage of RPOs blended with a vertical passing attack made the Tigers’ offense nearly unstoppable."

Just now, RWJ said:

Purdy had a shot and I think that Howell is a much better QB overall than Purdy.  Yes, Shanny Jr. is in charge of the play calling but I just think that Howell could have taken us to the playoffs even with the below average OC Turner.  It's a moot point now but just what I think could have happened if given the opportunity.  

Don't know.   As Logan Paulsen said some rookie QBs are more pro-ready than others -- if the system matched close to their college offense and style of play.  But being ready quicker doesn't mean they are better.

Logan has nailed a lot this season and has watched practice and if he thought Howell benefitted from that time, I'll trust it.    

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't know.   As Logan Paulsen said some rookie QBs are more pro-ready than others -- if the system matched close to their college offense and style of play.  But being ready quicker doesn't mean they are better.

Logan has nailed a lot this season and has watched practice and if he thought Howell benefitted from that time, I'll trust it.    

I love Ya, SIP and respect your opinion.  Paulsen is one figure football head.  I am just a fan, but I think Howell would have taken off like an eagle and taken the reigns and we would be playing this weekend.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Yes, from the article i posted on the previous page.

"Brady became a nationally known name when he helped take LSU’s offense from the No. 38 scoring offense in college football in 2018 to maybe the best offense the sport has ever seen in 2019.

LSU hired Brady away from the New Orleans Saints, where he was serving as an offensive assistant, before the 2019 season.

Former Tigers head coach Ed Orgeron was looking for someone who could take LSU’s offense to the next level and he felt like Brady and his knowledge of RPOs (run-pass options) would be a perfect choice.

Orgeron turned out to be correct. Under Brady’s watch, current Cincinnati Bengals quarterback and former LSU star Joe Burrow went from a middle-of-the-road SEC starting quarterback to a bonafide superstar and eventual No. 1 pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Brady’s innovative usage of RPOs blended with a vertical passing attack made the Tigers’ offense nearly unstoppable."

My bad, brother. Thanks. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I love Ya, SIP and respect your opinion.  Paulsen is one figure football head.  I am just a fan, but I think Howell would have taken off like an eagle and taken the reigns and we would be playing this weekend.  

Don't know.  Ridder didn't play hot in game one.   Pickett got off to a really rough start with most of his early games.  Purdy gets so much attention, not because who doesn't kill it among rookie QBs from the start but because its unique.  

I like Howell, I pushed for him to start for weeks before he did.  But I am not mad in retrospect.   For starters, I don't know if Paulsen, Zampese, etc were wrong about waiting to start him. 

But even if I did suspect they were wrong, losing the battle to win the war, i am fine with.   I don't think they could have benched Heinicke during the winning streak and keep the locker room happy.   And it seemed like it was on the table to bring back Wentz -- so Wentz bombing in that game against the Browns helped make it clear he has to go.  I think it all worked out for the best.  If Wentz came back next season IMO that would have been a disaster.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't know.  Ridder didn't play hot in game one.   Pickett got off to a really rough start with most of his early games.  Purdy gets so much attention, not because who doesn't kill it among rookie QBs from the start but because its unique.  

I like Howell, I pushed for him to start for weeks before he did.  But I am not mad in retrospect.   For starters, I don't know if Paulsen, Zampese, etc were wrong about waiting to start him. 

But even if I did suspect they were wrong, losing the battle to win the war, i am fine with.   I don't think they could have benched Heinicke during the winning streak and keep the locker room happy.   And it seemed like it was on the table to bring back Wentz -- so Wentz bombing in that game against the Browns helped make it clear he has to go.  I think it all worked out for the best.  If Wentz came back next season IMO that would have been a disaster.

If they would have put Howell in after Wentz went down I think we would be in the playoff but they have TH as #2.  It is what it is.  

37 minutes ago, tshile said:

Rumors are McVay may retire because he hates all the ancillary duties of being head coach.  

He can come here and just run offense …

I don't buy that.  I think he might be a bit burned out but I also believe he got smacked in the mouth this year with a team that's suffering from Super Bowl hangover and doesn't know how to handle a losing season like this one he just had.  I'm sure the ancillary duties of being a head coach suck way worse when you've only won 5 games.  

I could see him "retiring" as a way to get out of the Rams situation and lay low for a bit until he can find a more suitable scenario.  He's only 36 and I think he loves football too much to retire completely this young.  

That said, if he wanted to come here and just run an offense, I'd back up Jeff Bezos's truck.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2