Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

1 minute ago, Andre The Giant said:

Yep. Ron needs a playoff season in 2023 to have a chance at keeping his job. In his heart of hearts, he has to know that Turner is not going to put up a league average offense even with a decent QB and better OL play

If he is smart, he will go find a guy off the Reid or Shanahan tree. At this point, nearly all vet QBs have played in one of the two systems

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, method man said:

Yep. Ron needs a playoff season in 2023 to have a chance at keeping his job. In his heart of hearts, he has to know that Turner is not going to put up a league average offense even with a decent QB and better OL play

If he is smart, he will go find a guy off the Reid or Shanahan tree. At this point, nearly all vet QBs have played in one of the two systems

Last thing we want is a desperate man leading our offseason

• Like 2

I'm glad this is finally being reported like this. I know the players have been frustrated like crazy. But we can't absolve a key person here of some serious culpability in all this: the genius who decided to give Turner an extension. The signs of his inadequacy were always there. That extension was moronic. Thanks RR.

• Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am in Florida, I watch this team some and read about it some.  McDaniel definitely has had a rise and fall with the local media here.

Whether justified or not, the rap seems to be defensives have clamped down on the Dolphins offense and McDaniel hasn't adjusted back.  

Sure. Of course, Miami has averaged 24 points per game this year, and over the 5 game losing streak? 21. While playing 3 of the league's top 5 scoring defenses (the other 2 middle of the pack) and with his LT injured for all of it, most of 1 game with a concussed QB and most of another with the 3rd string 7th round rookie QB. They averaged roughly a field goal less per game. 

Actually, McDaniel’s learning curve is a large part of what we witnessed during the first part of the season, too. The difference is the Dolphins were winning while playing inferior opponents.

Among their 8 wins were the "inferior" playoff Ravens, playoff contending Steelers and Lions, as well as the Pats and Bills, who are now I guess not inferior because they beat the Dolphins in the rematches during the losing skid?

That becomes predictable and one-dimensional, and easier to stop by things such as dropping your linebackers deeper or challenging the receivers at the line of scrimmage to disrupt the timing of the passing game. Ask San Francisco, the Los Angeles Chargers, Buffalo, Green Bay and New England.

I guess we could ask LA, since Miami had a terrible offensive game against them. 

But since Miami gained more yards against the other 4 than they allow on average (and more points than they allow in 3), what exactly are we asking them about?

So yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of "hot take" guys telling us that McDaniel is too clueless to figure out how to coach against defenses that make adjustments and is being exposed as a fraud because of it.

But since even a cursory glance at the evidence shows that to be a frankly stupid take, should we waste our time paying attention to it?

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

So yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of "hot take" guys telling us that McDaniel is too clueless to figure out how to coach against defenses that make adjustments and is being exposed as a fraud because of it.

But since even a cursory glance at the evidence shows that to be a frankly stupid take, should we waste our time paying attention to it?

I doubt McDaniel is clueless and i doubt the South Florida papers mean it that literally but there is a narrative that they are waiting on him to counter punch.   The most recent games I watched for Miami are the Chargers game, the offense looked awful in that one.  GB game looked great early, bad in the 2nd half, Tua concussed.  Buffalo, mostly good.

My point is he got a ton of early hype from the media, he's not the only first time head coach that started hot.  5 losses in a row.   

For me personally to be sold on McDaniel, I'd need to be convinced he's a really special offensive savant and for me I need to see more to be convinced -- because he's such a weird odd duck personality who doesn't come off to me even remotely like a leader of men type -- I'd need to be sold that his offensive prowess offsets his oddball personaliy.  I'd go as far as saying he's perhaps the oddest personality that I can i recall for any NFL coach, maybe even odded than Zorn. 😀. I do think if he wins, players will embrace any personality.  

So count me out of chasing McDaniel as if its a no brainer.  I really don't know.    I got some pause about the dude. 

But I admit I am not a pure X's and O's guy comes first type of guy as for head coaches.  I lean towards the leader of men types first and foremost but who also bring some X's and O's.    I'll make some exceptions if they are gifted playcallers. 

Plenty of X and O types have flamed out as head coaches.  So dudes for example like Ben Johnson who intrigue me as playcallers, I still want to know what they are like as dudes.  For McDaniel, it happens not to be that much of a mystery to me, I've seen enough of him and read enough about him that I don't like his personality in the context of a head coaching role -- so for me to get over that I need to be blown away by his play calling, and I am undecided on that and haven't probed on that front.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I doubt McDaniel is clueless and i doubt the South Florida papers mean it that literally but there is a narrative that they are waiting on him to counter punch.   

That is the implication they are advancing. Though the quotes you post are too dumb and devoid of reason or evidence for me to take them seriously, so I really couldn't care less what their position is. 

3 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

I agree with the quote saying we're too talented not to score more points.

Forgot what beat guy said it, and i posted it last week, but one of them said they talked to someone with the team who said they aren't going to roll back the same thing next year -- implied something in the FO or coaching.

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

That is the implication they are advancing. Though the quotes you post are too dumb and devoid of reason or evidence for me to take them seriously, so I really couldn't care less what their position is. 

OK the only part of my point relating to the quote, is the media both local and national loved the guy initially not so much now.

For me personally, my point as to why I am not sure Mcdaniel is the guy has nothing to do with that.   For me, he's a really weird, awkward, odd duck kind of dude.  As I said i can relate to the nonstop bad jokes he tells, I can be that way too, but not so much at work.  😀

For me to embrace a personality like that in a leader of men type of position, I'd have to be blown away by the playcalling and assume he holds the locker room as any coach does as long as he wins.   

Even with Skylar Thompson they should beat the Jets at home in 80 degrees weather with the playoffs on the line for them and the Jets playing without 3 of their 5 starting O lineman.  So that should get them back on track.  If they lose IMO its a red flag for them to finish with a 6 game losing streak.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK the only part of my point relating to the quote, is the media both local and national loved the guy initially not so much now.

For me personally, my point as to why I am not sure Mcdaniel is the guy has nothing to do with that.   For me, he's a really weird, awkward, odd duck kind of dude.  As I said i can relate to the nonstop bad jokes he tells, I can be that way too, but not so much at work.  😀

For me to embrace a personality like that in a leader of men type of position, I'd have to be blown away by the playcalling and assume he holds the locker room as any coach does as long as he wins.   

Even with Skylar Thompson they should beat the Jets at home in 80 degrees weather with the playoffs on the line for them and the Jets playing without 3 of their 5 starting O lineman.  So that should get them back on track.  If they lose IMO its a red flag for them to finish with a 6 game losing streak.

I'm not really engaging with your opinion on that, and have made zero references to it.

You are posting quotes about a 'narrative" about McDaniel and what he's doing as a coach. Those quotes are from people who don't deserve to be taken seriously because what they are saying is clearly counter-factual and just a media "to take" type of garbage to get attention while having zero to do with actual evidence that can easily be found. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I'm not really engaging with your opinion on that, and have made zero references to it.

You are posting quotes about a 'narrative" about McDaniel and what he's doing as a coach. Those quotes are from people who don't deserve to be taken seriously because what they are saying is clearly counter-factual and just a media "to take" type of garbage to get attention while having zero to do with actual evidence that can easily be found. 

Ok fair enough. I just personally find it amusing how the media falls in love and out of love with new coaches fast sometimes. 

I suspect they will fall back in love on Sunday I can’t see them losing to the Jets considering current context. 

1 hour ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Scott Turner is a myth, im convinced it’s a social experiment into nepotism 

The whole league is kind of an experiment in nepotism.

This team also employs JDR's son and two of Rivera's kids...and I'd be willing bet there were more qualified candidates for those positions. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, formerly4skins said:

The whole league is kind of an experiment in nepotism.

This team also employs JDR's son and two of Rivera's kids...and I'd be willing bet there were more qualified candidates for those positions. 

It's tough, because people raised around the sport are going to have a head start on knowing the game and as a result some great coaches will come out of that.

For sure there have likely been some potential great coaches who didn't get a hot, or had to wait a long time for said shot, because they had no family ties to help them.

On the other hand, does anyone think Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay don't deserve to be coaching?

33 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

I agree with the quote saying we're too talented not to score more points.

I don't agree. When you're two biggest weak points are QB and an offensive line that can't pass block, it's no surprise when you can't put up points. We have very good skill position players, but bottom three QB play has more or less nullified that strength.

10 minutes ago, method man said:

Exactly this. Firing just the OC os going to be $2M-$6M. I would guess Scott is one of the lower paid OCs in the league

I would think the issue is the contract for the new OC, who would more likely than not be fired when the new owner puts a new regime in charge leading to a new coaching staff.

Personally, I doubt Ron wants to fire Scott anyway, so I think this is all moot. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I would think the issue is the contract for the new OC, who would more likely the not be fired when the new owner puts a new regime in charge leading to a new coaching staff.

Personally, I doubt Ron wants to fire Scott anyway, so I think this is all moot. 

There are unemployed veteran OCs with their old teams still paying their salaries like Frank Reich

15 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

It's tough, because people raised around the sport are going to have a head start on knowing the game and as a result some great coaches will come out of that.

For sure there have likely been some potential great coaches who didn't get a hot, or had to wait a long time for said shot, because they had no family ties to help them.

On the other hand, does anyone think Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay don't deserve to be coaching?

Agreed that some folks, like Shanny Jr. or McVay, are clearly talented and had a leg-up getting into the game at a young age. 

That said, Rivera's kids titles are "Social Media Producer" and "Sr. Manager of Special Projects"...which both just reek of being do-nothing jobs that were gift-wrapped for them by daddy. 

JDR's son at least has a history in the game as a college QB to justify his coaching position. 

Edited by formerly4skins