Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

12 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Overly dramitic with major piling on. Ron Rivera was a very good coach that is struggling with doing both GM and HC duties. He needs to focus on one or the other. But he is not a "very bad coach". good grief if that were the case thed team would be 0-9 right now. The D is playing better and the Offense has weapons. Has had some bad luck with QBs and made a few poor decisions. But people are piling on like he is the wrost thing since Jim Zorn. He is not. 

Having said that, I would expect the new regime to clean house completely. I hope they do. We need them to hire a real GM who hires their own HC who hires their own assisstants. I would keep some of the scouting staff but that's thier call. 

Agree.    He has weaknesses like most coaches do.   And if we harp on them, really almost every coach looks bad.  A franchise QB is a game changer for ANY coach.  Tough for me to think of consistent winning coaches with below average QB play.  Heck supposedly the best coach in NFL history isn't killing it right now with medicore QB play even with a strong roster elsewhere.

He is two times coach of the year.  76-63 in Carolina.  4 times in the playoffs there. 

But I do agree that he's not in the upper echeon level of coaches where he's earned the status of controlling a whole football team.  I do think he or ANY coach with a decent reputation has earned that status with Dan.  It really seems the only way to prevent Dan from becoming the defacto GM and even that isn't fool proof -- Dan still for example meddled with Shanny when Shanny supposedly had that control. 

As GM I think Ron has been more of a mixed bag than the disaster his critics say he's been.  The drafts have been mostly good if you use reality based metrics to judge versus the fantasy ones that some do where every pick supposedly should be a hit.  FA was good in year 1 but trended down after that. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

It's a good thing Irsay dropped the Snyder Bomb before everyone remembered he's completely insane.

I don't know. This could be an interesting chess move.

Saturday has experience on the sidelines, and has been a HS HC. Now, that is a far cry from the responsibility and spotlight of a NFL head coach, but stick with me a second.

Saturday has been a consultant for the Colts for years. What better way for a consultant to A) get experiennce at the HC thing with qualified HC types on staff and B (and more important than A...) what better way for a consultant to... consult?

Get in there, get a lay of the land, advise on some schematic stuff (he knows his ****), run the sidelines on game day, figure out the lay of the land and locker room and talent?

If I were Irsay I'd be looking at Saturday as a front office guy, not a HC. Saturday goes in, checks it out, sees who is on-staff and a quality coach/investment...

Irsay fires Ballard, hires Saturday and they make a new HC hire (in house or otherwise).

What if Saturday goes and sees Reggie Wayne is the best candidate and they make that hire, for instance?

Granted, if they hire Saturday over more qualified candidates for the full-time gig then this whole thing was a mummer's farce (thank you, Daemon Targaryen for making that phrase relevant again). And it's possible I'm way off here. But I'm just trying to think why this move may have been made without going immediately to: "lol idiot"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

It's a good thing Irsay dropped the Snyder Bomb before everyone remembered he's completely insane.

He's behaving as if he has a terminal illness.  It's like he's trying to outdo Snyder for worst owner right here before Snyder sells.

I honestly feel sorry for Indy's players.  This is such a ****ed up position to put them in.  I would not blame any of them for sitting the rest of the season out.

• Like 1

Just now, Going Commando said:

He's behaving as if he has a terminal illness.  It's like he's trying to outdo Snyder for worst owner right here before Snyder sells.

I honestly feel sorry for Indy's players.  This is such a ****ed up position to put them in.  I would not blame any of them for sitting the rest of the season out.

Reminds me of the Pepper Rodgers near fiasco that the players and other coaches rebelled at in 2000. 

• Like 1

Just now, Going Commando said:

If that man is dumb enough to fire Ballard, then we need to clean house this off-season so we can hire him.  He is a legit Front Office talent.

We say that from the outside, but that team hasn't been as medium as it gets. Sometimes people need changes in scenery. And that could be another reason Saturday is there. Having said every single bit of this, it's possible that they screwed this up and Irsay just made a really dumb move. But I like to look at things with some thought behind it and not just say, "man, these guys are dumb".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

We say that from the outside, but that team hasn't been as medium as it gets. Sometimes people need changes in scenery. And that could be another reason Saturday is there. Having said every single bit of this, it's possible that they screwed this up and Irsay just made a really dumb move. But I like to look at things with some thought behind it and not just say, "man, these guys are dumb".

You might be right, but it feels really good to see another owner do something that catches the lolz from the talking heads. Time will tell, but I would have loved to see the other coaches expressions when this was announced.

11 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

You are exactly right. He’s the next Mahomes. Jackson Mahomes. He will be doing TikTok dances for clicks like Patrick’s brother. He’s the latest in a long line of USC QB busts who are all hype and nothing more. Leinart, Mark Sanchez, Matt Barkley, Sam Darnold, Kessler, Slovis. They are all the same overhyped bust. 

I have watched nearly all his games at USC. It’s not impressive since the first 3 games. They have sucked so bad recently against horrible teams. He’s nothing. Good thing Dan won’t be able to engineer a stupid move to try and acquire him.

LOL.

You haven't watched or you are just biased. 

None of those other QBS have close to the physical skills Caleb does. He's a FREAK. Heisman this year. 

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

If that man is dumb enough to fire Ballard, then we need to clean house this off-season so we can hire him.  He is a legit Front Office talent.

Look at that roster.

The line is full of high priced guys doing nothing. 

Complete lack of weapons.

The Indy beat guys think Ballard is a fraud. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

You might be right, but it feels really good to see another owner do something that catches the lolz from the talking heads. Time will tell, but I would have loved to see the other coaches expressions when this was announced.

My guess is that they knew way before and the situation was explained to them as thoroughly as possible without giving too much.

20 minutes ago, Hooper said:

LOL.

None of those other QBS have close to the physical skills Caleb does. He's a FREAK. Heisman this year. 

Look at that roster.

The line is full of high priced guys doing nothing. 

Complete lack of weapons.

The Indy beat guys think Ballard is a fraud. 

You are delusional. He will receive less Heisman votes than DTR. The leader of the real team that runs LA. 

47 minutes ago, Hooper said:

LOL.

You're aware that SoCal hates everything USC because he is a UCLA guy, right? He literally has zero good opinions on anything USC. None. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Irsay having a troubled roster is also partially because of himself as the owner. He meddled to get rid of Carson after a decent year last year. Hiring a consultant to coach over every longer tenured coach, including coaches who have gone to the Super Bowl, is an insult that I'm fascinated to watch play out over the rest of the season.

Irsay's team isn't broken yet because they got Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck back to back. With a couple more decades on his own, Irsay would be deeper in Snyder territory, but without the terrible treatment of women on the team.

• Like 1

Would Fans Return If Dan Snyder Sells the Commanders? Yes. Big Time.

Washingtonians aren’t fed up with the Commanders. They’re fed up with their owner.

WRITTEN BY PATRICK HRUBY 
 | PUBLISHED ON NOVEMBER 8, 2022

Photo by Flickr user All-Pro Reels / Joe Glorioso.

If Dan Snyder actually sells the Washington Commanders—and please, let’s all take a moment to converse with our preferred deities and rap our knuckles against the nearest piece of wood before finishing this sentence—then the team’s new owner (or owners) will have their work cut out for them. 

After all, FedEx field is falling apart. The on-field product hasn’t been consistently good since the VHS era. Following in the esteemed footsteps of Altria, Accenture, and Meta, the franchise recently had to rebrand away from its longtime moniker, which arguably had become toxic. A who’s who of investigative bodies—Congress, the NFL, attorneys general in Maryland, Virginia, and DC, and the US attorney’s office in the Eastern District of Virginia—are all looking into the Commanders for an alleged toxic workplace and financial improprieties, and the latter probe is a bonafide criminal matter. 

Add it up, and the team is, charitably speaking, a distressed asset. However, there’s one very important thing a new owner won’t have to worry about. Fan sentiment. Do locals still love the franchise? Are they ready to care, willing to cheer, and able to spend gobs of money on tickets and jerseys and stadium beers that were priced at inflationary levels long before inflation made a comeback

Yes. Absolutely. Don’t be fooled by metrics suggesting otherwise.

Granted, the current fan engagement numbers around the franchise are, in technical financial terms, not what you’d want. A once-famed season ticket waiting list has given way to plummeting attendance and tentative plans to replace FedEx Field with the smallest stadium in the NFL. Last season, the Commanders brought in the second-lowest gate revenue in the entire league despite playing in the nation’s fifth-largest metropolitan region for GDP. (Coming in last? The equally sad-sack Detroit Lions, who play in the No. 14 metro region).

Taken together, these figures suggest that through committed, consistent, and comically inept mismanagement, Snyder has slowly and steadily succeeded in brand poisoning one of pro football’s crown jewels. But that’s not the case. The team’s fans, from the remaining diehards to the lapsed and disgruntled, aren’t fed up with the Commanders. They’re fed up with Snyder. His brand is fatally poisoned. Consider:

More proof is everywhere you look. It can be found online and on talk radio and fan reaction news stories, where news that Snyder might be considering a sale generated more sheer, unadulterated joy than anything the franchise has done on the field this millennium. It can be found at FedEx Field, where a loss last weekend to the Minnesota Vikings was punctuated by chants and T-shirts pleading with Snyder to “sell the team.”

It can even be found coming from NBA superstar and area native Kevin Durant, who recently told ESPN that he’d love to be part of a new Commanders ownership group—and that as a fan, he is “excited” about a potential sale.

“Our market is incredible,” Durant said. “There’s a lot of support in D.C., a lot of money in D.C. to be made. I feel like we drafted well the last couple years. We got some foundation pieces that can help you win football games moving forward. So yeah, I think it’s an attractive destination … I’m excited to see who they bring in and who they sell the team to and see how we move forward with it.”

Does that sound like someone who is beaten down from years of futility? Who has lost hope? Who has decided to move on to rooting for the Dallas Cowboys or playing pickleball or, God forbid, doing something productive on Sunday afternoons? No, it does not. Durant may be impossibly rich and gifted, but he is also a Commanders fan, and like the rest, he’s still ready for some football. Just without Snyder

• Like 1