Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

28 minutes ago, justice98 said:

So he hasn't seen enough already? 

He wants cover.

I think they all want the cover of an investigation.

My guess is the MJW investigation just keeps getting bigger and bigger.  It started with one scope, but there is absolutely nothing to stop Rodger/the NFL to keep on adding things to it.  

It started with the allegations by Tiffany Johnston and the financial stuff.  

My guess is other things were added along the way.  The two most obvious I can think of were the way Dan compiled the dossier to discredit whitnesses against him and the use of law firms and private investigators to dig up dirt on other owners.  There might be other.

One thing is for sure, Mary Jo White has added billable hours to her investigation, and can probably buy a new house in the Hamptons for the amount of money the league is going to pay her for this.  And in that vane, with the length of time this has been going on, and the amount of money they are spending on it, I doubt very much the league wants a "yeah, nothing to see here" report. 

My gut tells me they are using this report to have cover to do something about Dan. However, if he covered his tracks well, then it could take some time to corroborate all the allegations.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Destino said:

i know that’s a joke but if this franchise had enough fans left to actually assemble a large protest outside of Commanders offices demanding the owner sell the team, the optics would be insanely bad for the league.  Sadly, there’s only like 36 of us left.  Media won’t show up for that.  

There was an attempt to get a protest together to fire Bruce Allen.  It ended up with like 8 people outside Redskins Park.

You'd have to have at least 1000 people show up, probably more, for it to be remotely meaningful.  Unless there is an actual group organizing it, sending out communications through multiple media outlets, etc. there's no way it could happen.  

And while I don't think there is any love for Dan by any of the local media outlets, and I think they'd be happy to cover the event, I don't think any one of them is going to champion it, because they also cover the team, and there would be retribution in some form, most likely limited access. 

I think there are people who would go, but it would have to be well organized, and I don't see anybody doing that.  

MAYBE Elizabeth Banks and her law firm could organize something.  But that seems to be a longshot.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zim489 said:

I really dont think theres anything legally dan can do. He signed all the bylaws 

He can do a lot of things to make a lot of people very uncomfortable.  And he doesn't have to win a lawsuit to actually win the battle.  If he's out for revenge, he can get revenge and still lose. 

Remember, if he's forced to sell, he probably gets $6 BILLION dollars in CASH.  So winning/losing a law suit would be peanuts in comparison.  It would all be about revenge.

I think the other owners also know this.  So... especially those that have obvious skeletons in their closets, they are weary of what Dan could do.  

• Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mike Jones on 980 this morning.  He thought Irsay's comments were significant and orchestrated.

Add Jones to the crew who thinks Dan isn't swimming in cash.    A point, me, @KDawg, @BatteredFanSyndrome @Conn among others have gotten some push back on from some. To preempt some of the pushback, no Jones doesn't think Dan is broke or his money is apples to apples to name that layperson -- so that strawman argument wasn't in play here. :ols: 

And sorry I can't resist for being feisty on this point, I don't have an issue with those who don't think its the case, to each their own -- it just grabs me when they say it us who aren't majoring in the facts.  How many freaking facts do we need on the same point?  Dan's spending behavior which has been documented of late of being cheap.  Local reporters talking about it.  ESPN writers referenced the point in the context of the stadium where some owners told him that they think they can box him in using his debt against him and now Jones who is connected nationally flat out said it bluntly. 

Here's how it came up.  Sheehan asked about Rivera's future, Jones first said he's not sure Rivera survives if the season falls apart.  But then corrects himself some and goes he knows they aren't in a great financial situation and that word is around the league that they might not be able to afford something like paying two coaching staffs at the same time.

I get the pushback from some is they can literally afford anything.  But that's not the point.  I run a business.  I can afford to put aside some of my personal desires or liquidate personal investments and put it into my business. But I don't roll that way.  There is a limit to how much I put in my business.    I have a certain cash flow in my business that I work with.  I don't think I am that unusual in that way.   But heck even if someone doesn't agree with that logic -- how many people have to say the same thing? 

I am bringing it up and continue to do so for these two reasons.

A.  I think its a major plot line potentially in pushing Dan out as the ESPN writers referenced

B.  Old school Dan of hey at least he spends a ton of money is dead and buried.  There is zero redeeming about this version of Dan -- his money situation is another hinderance in the bag of problems with Dan. 

I can't speak for others, but I never suggested Dan was "swimming in cash".  I'm certain he's not based on attendance, lawsuits, etc...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your point was the lack of cash is the reason the roster has so many holes.   I disagree.   

• Like 1

Lisa Banks was on the radio last night saying that all of this could probably have been avoided by the NFL if Goodell hadn't insisted on not getting a written report. That's what triggered everything else, particularly Congress.

Crap flowing downhill eventually can become an avalanche.

Avoiding transparency may seem like the best route in the short term, but in the long term it clearly is not. Not in the 21st century, that's for sure.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Lisa Banks was on the radio last night saying that all of this could probably have been avoided by the NFL if Goodell hadn't insisted on not getting a written report. That's what triggered everything else, particularly Congress.

Crap flowing downhill eventually can become an avalanche.

Goodell  hates Dan...Dan hates Goodell...so why wouldn't Roger make it easier to get rid of Dan by having a written report? 

1 minute ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Goodell  hates Dan...Dan hates Goodell...so why wouldn't Roger make it easier to get rid of Dan by having a written report? 

Because hate between dudes who have dragon hoards worth of money is different than hate between regular people. A calculated decision was made to try to keep league dirt in the shadows for the sake of all the other owners, and it failed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HogsVa7 said:

If Dan gets voted out, and he gets his lawyers into this will that still make him owner until this gets settle in court? Even if this happens this will take years right?

According to the league bylaws in such an event the "designated trustee" runs the team until ALL legal matters have been settled.

In June of last year the owners agreed on a new designated trustee (which up to now has been mostly an honorific position) for a period of 5 years.

So the new guy would be in place with complete authority to run the team for up to the next 4 years, should the legal matters last that long.

Here's a picture of the NFLs current designated trustee that I found on Google...

image.thumb.png.2f5ac8309e1e8d5b79a56e1368bba960.png

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I can't speak for others, but I never suggested Dan was "swimming in cash".  I'm certain he's not based on attendance, lawsuits, etc...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your point was the lack of cash is the reason the roster has so many holes.   I disagree.   

You're wrong.

All of our points have always been that the lack of cash limits our options significantly.

Why? Well, let me tell you a tale of a team with an owner and culture players don't want to come to.

When that happens you need to overpay free agents to come here. We can't because: Dan's lack of liquid assets being tied up in rebrands, lawsuits, stadiums, etc. 

So the higher end guys are out. And now we're wading in the middle of the pool.

But now the middle of the pool guys get offers from other teams, too. And then they, shockingly, take less money (in some cases) to go play there rather than play for Washington.

So then we DO overpay middling talent, because again its the only way to get them here and they aren't the insane cost of high end talent...

So here we are. This hasn't even spoke on our awful facilities, grass, stadium situation that the team hasn't even attempted to improve. 

I'm not sure how this is constantly lost on people here when we talk about this team, but it is. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

9th largest market yet 6th in overall value. That would a bit suspect if it was just that.  But it isn't.. The stadium, attendance and concession/parking are way down, lost sponsors etc should mean it should not the 6th most valuable franchise to me but apparently it is.  

I think of it this way. There aren't many NFL franchises for sale to begin with and they don't pop up on the market the way houses do. A billionaire might have one chance in his/her lifetime to purchase a team and they are going to have competition. Low supply, high demand. Add to that the fact that this franchise is one of the few that is constantly talked about as being available soon because the current owner is in constant turmoil. Maybe the Giants or whoever should be valued higher but there seems to be no chance of the Mara family giving up control of that franchise, so maybe it's just not valued as high because it's considered untouchable.  That's just my two cents, I don't know what the actual value of this team is vs. the Giants but I know one ownership is in constant question and if I were valuing the two franchises, I would value the possibly available one higher. 

22 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Remember, if he's forced to sell, he probably gets $6 BILLION dollars in CASH. 

Frustrated World Cup GIF

That’s a lotta failed restaurants and amusement parks in his future 

Edited by Conn
  • Haha 8

I know Tagliabue regretted picking Goodell as his successor. Clearly Goodell was a suckup and Tags didn't see how he really was until afterwards. Tags chastised Goodell for how he handled player punishments and I heard they aren't even on speaking terms any more. Goodell became obsessed with being the NFL's Top Cop and handing out punishments which seemed overly harsh at times..."Protect The Shield."

Here comes Sally Jenkins:

Daniel Snyder is always looking for the sucker. This time, it might be him.

Daniel Snyder had a phrase he used for getting what he wanted from others, according to a former Washington team employee: “Grin-f---ing.” Like a lot of things Snyderesque, the term strives to convey a master of the universe stance, casual business swagger, when really, it’s dated verbiage that only a panting junior executive would use. Snyder is long on bluster and short on everything else, including competence, and his duplicity has made him chronically distrusted. What should worry Snyder now is how his fellow owners are grinning back at him.

The vulgar phrase describes a petty schemer who says whatever people want to hear, smiles and shakes hands in agreement, and then does the opposite, gaslighting and screwing over whomever they grin at. This is how Snyder always has handled his franchise, and he so boasted about it that he often misunderstood who was using whom.

There are worse terms to describe the dynamic between Snyder and NFL management these days. Everyone is grinning. Snyder and influential Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones grinned cagily at each other at midfield as they shook hands on the field a couple of weeks ago. Commissioner Roger Goodell, whose entire management style has been a master class in disingenuousness, grinned through the wedding of New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft over the weekend, then joined whole clusters of owners grinning at one another as they gathered for their quarterly fall meeting at a New York hotel Tuesday.

The grins had all the warmth of a school of sharks. Behind closed doors, the meeting included the usual “privileged” session. As Jerry Jones described it in his weekly radio interview with Dallas radio station 105.3 the Fan, these sessions are meant to be “wide open and the owners can just step up and bring ad-hoc-type things that aren’t on the agenda.” One item on at least some owners’ minds was how they might rid themselves of Snyder’s ooze of radioactive poison from incessant investigations of sexual harassment, alleged financial deception and other workplace abuses.

Unmistakably, the power play to force Snyder to sell is on. That was no longer in question after Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay held an extraordinary 15-minute impromptu media session in the hotel lobby during which he abandoned discretion and dropped an anvil on Snyder’s head. “I believe that there’s merit to remove him as owner,” Irsay declared, adding that he believed “potentially there will be” the required 24 votes among owners to do so. “I think serious consideration has to be given to removal.”

The most remarkable thing about Irsay’s utterances was that they were so aboveboard. What a relief after all the hygiene theater of the past two decades. For years, Snyder has issued niceties in public while sinking a storied franchise into utter squalor with a variety of despicable underhanded practices, from foisting old peanuts off on fans to siccing private detectives on those who cross him.

ress Enter to skip to end of carouseld of cAnd the league office has countenanced it — and even covered for it with its own double-dealing.

Even now, Snyder’s duplicitous grinning act continues. Absent from league meetings while he’s under internal discipline amid an ongoing investigation — his lawyers say he’s under no restrictions, while Goodell says there has been no change in his status since he ceded day-to-day control to his wife in July 2021 — Snyder sent a cloying personal letter to his NFL partners. He assured them of “the trust and goodwill between owners that I take quite seriously” and denied a report from ESPN that he allegedly used private investigators to acquire “dirt” on other owners to prevent an attempt to oust him.

But by now Snyder’s fellow owners are so well acquainted with him that they know not to listen to his words but to watch his actions. Another letter was sent out Tuesday, this one a reminder that Snyder indeed has a fondness for private detectives. It came from attorneys Lisa Banks and Debra Katz, who threatened to sue the NFL because they believe the names of women who were promised confidentiality during the league’s inquiries of Snyder’s workplace somehow made their way into his hands, exposing them to retaliation even as he pledged cooperation and transparency.

We can’t know whether Snyder has seriously tried to extort Goodell and his business partners or whether he’s guilty of trying to intimidate witnesses on an “enemies” list. What we can be sure of is that whenever Snyder thinks he’s fooling others, he’s actually fooling himself. His bad faith always doubles back on itself like a boomerang. He fools himself that he has found the right high-price free agent or franchise quarterback to force on his dismayed coaches, and when it doesn’t work, it’s all the fault of underlings. He fools himself that he’s one good season from being loved by a fan base that has fled. He fools himself that he’s worthy of being called “Mr. Snyder” even though his behavior requires not courtesy but a floor mop.

Remember the lies about the waiting list for season tickets? The grinning assurances that a new training facility in Richmond would bring huge economic development, only for the city to be stuck with millions in debt that had to be paid with school funds? He grinned at lawmakers in Virginia, D.C. and Maryland equally while dodging their straightforward questions about what a new stadium would really cost taxpayers and how much revenue he would demand.

“I think they’re using everybody back and forth as they have been for eight years,” Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) said. “They’re negotiating, trying to pit everybody against each other.”

All the parties ended up feeling played. And not one of them would make a deal with him.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

48 minutes ago, KDawg said:

All of our points have always been that the lack of cash limits our options significantly.

Why? Well, let me tell you a tale of a team with an owner and culture players don't want to come to.

When that happens you need to overpay free agents to come here. We can't because: Dan's lack of liquid assets being tied up in rebrands, lawsuits, stadiums, etc. 

So the higher end guys are out. And now we're wading in the middle of the pool.

But now the middle of the pool guys get offers from other teams, too. And then they, shockingly, take less money (in some cases) to go play there rather than play for Washington.

So then we DO overpay middling talent, because again its the only way to get them here and they aren't the insane cost of high end talent...

So here we are. This hasn't even spoke on our awful facilities, grass, stadium situation that the team hasn't even attempted to improve. 

I'm not sure how this is constantly lost on people here when we talk about this team, but it is. 

Yep.  It's a combination of things. 

I think some are so caught up in the anger at Ron that they think putting some of this on Dan takes Ron off the hook and that's part of their push back.  But this feeling is soooooo familiar.  Each coaching staff reaches this breaking point with some fans where they get annoyed with those who get annoyed with Dan in this context -- where its hey Dan is bad, we all agree on that but Dan has nothing to do with THIS, THIS is all on the coach.  And then years later when more narratives come out its yeah yeah Dan indeed was a problem then in retrospect, we agree on that now, but is he the problem now, here we disagree.  Rinse and repeat.

Keim and Stading flat out said they poked around in this FA pool.  If I recall it was Keim or maybe Standig don't recall which one who said it was at some of the same FAs that fans tweet him about the FO have poked at but implied the money didn't work out.

Why would an in demand FA come here especially if we aren't offering signficantly more than another team?  Heck Standig wrote an article that flat out said agents told him that and I posted that here.

With Dan we got.

A. you play for a team embroiled in controversy and you are tagged with dealing with the sleaze in questions from the media, etc.  And yes agents talking to Standig said that does matter to them.

B.  You got Dan who is cheap with everything -- cheap facilities, decaying stadium -- heck Shanny had to convince Dan to stop giving cheap junk food to the players among other stories.  Sheehan said recently he'd cut back on travel perks and meals for players.   This isn't the Four Seasons of living large with perks version of the NFL, this is Motel 6. 

C.  You got the history of losing.

D.  You don't have a home field advantage.

E.  You get very few prime time games.  Forget playing Sunday Night.

F.  You got an owner that i gather isn't interested in outbidding in FA like the old days.

G.  Some suggestions the owner doesn't have the cash flow that some other owners do to stagger-front load contracts with guaranteed money-signing bonuses which players prefer.

So with this heap of pile of crap, Rivera has to navigate FA as if he's not handcuffed one bit.  I get people are angry at Ron and love to put it 100% on him.

But IMO it is clear as bell that for many reasons Dan has made this place a VERY unattractive destination.    In his younger years he could offset that some by overspending-overpaying but those days are long gone -- some seem to think that's all because of Ron, Ron is fostering Dan's cheapness but IMO to believe that takes a lot of imagination.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

11 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

And now for something completely different...

I never noticed how small "Disheveled Dan's" hands were before.

Seriously, take a close look at them itty bitty stubs on the end of his wrists compared to the other guys in the picture with normal sized hands.

It's like that Saturday Night Live skit with that girl with doll hands come to life.

image.png.2a4f7e063943ade318c4b47e1de40bf9.png

Not to pile on the poor little guy when he's down but then again if ANYONE deserves a guilt free pile job it's good old friend to all mankind Disheveled Dan.

He kinda looks like this guy in this freeze frame...

New York Reaction GIF by Gatorade

• Haha 1