Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

39 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Synder ain't selling because Al Michaels says he should. As always it rests with the owners.  Even if his claim is true he has dirt on a few, not 24.  I remain optimistic that this will happen. Eventually.  It appears as if getting a stadium deal is his only out. And seeing as all 3 jurisdictions have told him to pack sand that's just not going to happen. 

My switch to the Ravens is made easier because I'm a Maryland guy.  I don't see the Ravens as Baltimore, it's Maryland's team to me. I see the MD flag at mid-field, when they returned to the game they showed a restaurant chef making a crab cake. They never showed that on Washington telecasts.  

True…plus the front office and owner are not inept 

4 hours ago, Panninho said:

"A fired up Ron Rivera on the report that Dan Snyder picked Carson Wentz: "It's bullsh*t. I'm the fu**ing guy that pulled out the sheets of paper, looked at the analytics and watched the tape in freaking Indianapolis (at the Combine).""

I think that tells you everything about Ron the talent evaluator. The entire analytics community is completely down on Wentz. They said it was a grade A fleecing job by the Colts. The tape was meh to bad on top. So wtf did he look at? What type of analytics told him to trade multiple high draft picks for him and pay him almost 30m on top? Our front office is an absolute joke. They have no clue, none at all. Couple that with the worst owner and the worst culture in the league and you end up where we are right now.

He seems mad at the wrong thing.  Like, he's more mad that his authority was being questioned, rather than all his hard work and expert analysis produced utter garbage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

FO has done a decent job drafting IMO.  But Wentz isn't looking hot, discarding their depth on defense isn't lookiing hot either.  They seem to have an inlfated view of their roster which IMO is part of the narrative for this bad season.

I don't doubt Rivera watched tape of Wentz.  But in my view, said so at the time, they got fleeced by Indy in that deal.  My guess is Dan had his finger prints on this as 
I mentioned yesterday after the options were presented -- no way to know for sure -- but I am VERY curious to see what Keim says about this and I bet he will address it -- I'll believe Keim no matter what he says on it. 

Ron is oddly VERY defensive about takes relating to Wentz.  First it was the Jimmy G story from Schecter is BS and he pouted about that in a press conference.  He was irrate in the press conference about that.  Then the media supposedly misinterpreted his comments about him saying QB is why they are behind in the NFC East.  Now this.  New Wentz-Rivera story coming?

I take Ron at his word on the choice to go with Wentz.  I think it was his decision because he has vehemently said it was, and I absolutely do not have a problem with him getting fired up in defense of his quarterback.  That's exactly what a coach should do, I don't want them ****ing playing politics and hedging just to look better in the media. 

But I also don't think the decision go with Wentz is an L for Ron, and saying that it was is majorly jumping the gun.  Yeah, I'm not happy with the price we paid in the trade given what other teams paid for their reclamation QBs, but we needed to pick a direction at QB and commit to it.  And yeah, I'm not happy about how he's played so far and his issues with short game accuracy are really frustrating.  I have sympathy for why he is struggling--it's the combination of growing pains learning a new set of teammates and a new system + the complete collapse of the OL.  It is natural that a QB struggles under those circumstances.

I see why they liked Wentz.  He is so explosive throwing the ball down field (I guarantee you Terry or Jahan catches that gorgeous deep strike over the seam and score a TD, Curtis just doesn't have good downfield ball skills).  He's truly tough and plays through some pretty wild injuries.  And I think he's got some real leadership qualities, which is what this offense has needed more than anything else.

I actually kind of like our QB room and I think it has potential.  I love our RB and WR rooms and think they have big potential.  I think the dysfunction of the offense really comes down to the weakness of Scott Turner as an OC and playcaller and the collapse of the offensive line.  And I think you can fix both of those issues in the offseason and get the offense where it needs to be in order to win games and save Rivera's job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Does anyone though?

Everyone leaves here worse than how they showed up.  Literally every coach we’ve ever had under Dan starts breaking down right before our eyes.  If they were average before they got here, they leave well below average.  This environment just beats folks down.

True, and that’s part of why I don’t feel bad for the folks who take executive positions here. There is enough history to understand what the outcome is going to be. 

Bad organizational leadership typically leads to bad results. Is what it is and nothing changes until the leadership changes. 

• Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

And I think you can fix both of those issues in the offseason and get the offense where it needs to be in order to win games and save Rivera's job.

I don’t disagree with the majority of your post.  But I have to believe this regime is cooked.  Perhaps they do come back because of all the money on the books, but I simply cant see them fixing the roster issues or Turner learning how to call a functional offense.

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t disagree with the majority of your post.  But I have to believe this regime is cooked.  Perhaps they do come back because of all the money on the books, but I simply cant see them fixing the roster issues or Turner learning how to call a functional offense.

Maybe Ron stays, but just fires Turner at the end of the season? There has to be SOMEBODY better right? 

………..right?

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Maybe Ron stays, but just fires Turner at the end of the season? There has to be SOMEBODY better right? 

………..right?

Turner just got extended to my knowledge.  I assume he’s safe and full of excuses in every meeting.  Even though anyone with eyes can see this dude is drawing dead with most play calls.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I take Ron at his word on the choice to go with Wentz.  I think it was his decision because he has vehemently said it was, and I absolutely do not have a problem with him getting fired up in defense of his quarterback.  That's exactly what a coach should do, I don't want them ****ing playing politics and hedging just to look better in the media. 

It could be.  the dude who wrote the article for ESPN is a Pulitzer Prize writer so I buy that someone indeed gave them the story about Wentz.  My guess is as I mentioned yesterday, Rivera was on Wentz as an option but Danny got hyped about it.  This team under Dan regardless of the regime typically gets fleeced in trades.  And later its often revealed that Dan's finger prints are on them.  When he wants something he wants it really, really, really bad.

But to your point, I'll take Rivera at his word that he wanted Wentz.  I just think he's not handiling the PR element of it well -- feels like he protests too much.  If there is nothing to these stories laugh it off.  This is the third rodeo now in a short amount of time that centers on whether he wanted Wentz.

I was ok with the roll of the dice move to get Wentz.  I do think though Ballard fleeced them on the compensation -- said so then and still believe it now.

21 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I actually kind of like our QB room and I think it has potential.  I love our RB and WR rooms and think they have big potential.  I think the dysfunction of the offense really comes down to the weakness of Scott Turner as an OC and playcaller and the collapse of the offensive line.  And I think you can fix both of those issues in the offseason and get the offense where it needs to be in order to win games and save Rivera's job.

I like Howell's potential.  I like Heinicke as a backup.  Not sure about Wentz -- the arrow is trending down for me.  I was ok with the Colts version of Wentz.  The Colts had bad pass protection, too.   Wentz wasn't as skittish there, he also seemed to have better mobility.  Wentz seems to have lost his mobility.  Last year, you could see some signs that he hasn't lost all his mobility -- i don't feel the same way this year.

Agree this could be turned around fast with upgrades on the O line.  I am not sure about QB.  I am ok with playing it out with Wentz but unless he comes on i don't want to lose the 2nd rounder this year, I'd want to see Howell.

While they blew it on the O line.  I think they've quietly redeemed themselves on the D line.  Toohill and Obada are really nice depth.  John Ridgeway when I've watched him has looked stout.  Payne is having a breaktheough season.  Allen IMO has emerged as a star.  Sweat has come on.  And Chase is coming back.  Benching Jackson for St. Juste seems to be a winning move.  Wildgoose not bad in the slot.  The defense is starting to come on.  But I won't judge until I see them against Rodgers next Sunday.

As for Scott Turner, I think he was decent the first two years -- mainly from the stand point of formations and eye candy in the backfield.  But i do think he's been horrendous this year.  I feel a little vindicated arguing against him being a head coach with some here who pushed the idea this off season -- IMO he doesn't have the personality to be a HC -- I'll add to that he doesn't have the acumen for it either.   Zampese though is considered one of the best QB coaches in the league.

I think they got carried away with Masko making lemonade out of lemons in the off season -- his magic can clearly only take you so far. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

The reporters question was the correct one. 

And Ron’s response was the correct one. 

no one did anything wrong there. 

this is just what being a **** show organization looks like. 

Ron knew what he was getting into. He’s coached against Snyder’s teams plenty, he knew. He’s well respected in the league and I’m sure has plenty of social circles where he knew what was going on. He watched other well respected people come here and have their reputations shredded because of the place. So, he knew exactly what he was getting into. People wonder why anyone takes the gig - well there are only 32 of these jobs in the entire world and they pay incredibly well, that’s why. 

So I’m not shedding a tear for Ron. I’ll give him props for giving the correct response and being the right coach that makes it about his guys and backing them. And that’s about as much as I think there is to it. 

as for Al Michaels - some of you are missing the point. The point is not that Snyder will wake up and go “well **** if Al Michaels said I need to sell the team then…”

The point is that the NFL is a giant, multi billion dollar business. And as such they have giant, multi-billion dollar business partners. One those is ESPN who paid billions for TV rights. Another is Amazon, who also paid billions in TV rights. And in one of TWO prime time games we have all year, the one business partner dropped an incredibly damaging article the morning of the game, and the other ripped into the org during pregame with that story and recounting all the damaging investigations going on. Which was capped off by Michaels saying what he said which included that the NFL wants him out, and that “obviously” he’s bad for business. 

That’s not a ****ing coincidence in multi billion dollar business relationships. ESPN and Amazon do not take the NFL’s platform (which is their prime time games) and eviscerate one of their owners as a normal way of going about their business. They did it because they knew the NFL wouldn’t get mad at them; they did it, I presume, because they know that outside of Snyder the rest of the owners wants this done. 

They did it because the best way to deal with Snyder fighting back when they throw him out, is to make him out to be the most evil piece of ****, to make it so literally NO ONE likes him. NO ONE wants to go to bat for him. And NO ONE will give anything he says or does any thought or credence. 

This is a professional take down.

I have no reason to believe they will vote next week at their meeting. 

But they are scheduled to review the latest investigation and report. And now they have it out there than “snyder thinks they won’t kick him out cause their scared he’ll release their secrets”, which allows for this narrative:

the report is so damning, and people think if we don’t kick him out it’s because we’re all pieces of **** too and he’ll expose us, so now we have to kick him out. 

im over the top bought in on this theory and spent all night celebrating that the football game sucked so bad it couldn’t even be a distraction for him. My reaction when Michaels said that - you’d thought we just won the super bowl. 

so maybe I’m super crazily wrong. 

but I’m pretty sure you’re seeing the start of the end of the story that is Snyders tenure as owner of this team. This is how competent people get rid of pieces of ****. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think we've got to move on from Turner.  IMO he is a weak coach and even if we had totally dominant talent on offense, the results would still be frustrating and uneven because Turner just has bad instincts and is bad with situational football.  He's gotta be the smartest guy in the room for this whole front office and organizational structure to work and compete at the highest level, and he is far from that.

But say we fire him and get an upgrade in the offseason, maybe re-work Carson's and Roullier's deals to get their cap numbers down, and spend our resources to rebuild the OL this offseason.  Spend our first round pick on a kickass tackle prospect, kick Cosmi inside, get Roullier back healthy or find a center (and some actual C depth) to keep the OL from falling apart again due to the center going down.  That is a group that could make huge and rapid strides from where they are now, and I think the offense could actually be pretty good and complimentary to a D that is pretty talented.  I think Ron can win that way. 

But I also think the volatility of the ownership situation could get everything blown up, and I think it's absolutely imperative that Ron circle the wagons, get the team back on track this season and not have this be a disastrous 3 or 4 win year.  He can't bottom out in year 3 and survive that kind of progression arc from year 1 to year 3.  The team needs to be getting better this year and next for him to have a chance with new ownership.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Redwards said:

Ron's gonna retire...but only after he plays Wentz enough to say bye-bye to our 2nd rounder.

Dan's gonna hire some nobody as HC and install a puppet "GM".  Again. 

Then, if that's not enough...Dan's gonna go and REALLY fix our QB problem....by getting Cooper Rush.

Don't worry: "The Future Looks Bright".

Corrected: Dan's gonna go and REALLY fix our QB problem...by overpaying for Cooper Rush.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I think we've got to move on from Turner.  IMO he is a weak coach and even if we had totally dominant talent on offense, the results would still be frustrating and uneven because Turner just has bad instincts and is bad with situational football.  He's gotta be the smartest guy in the room for this whole front office and organizational structure to work and compete at the highest level, and he is far from that.

Yep I'm with you on Turner now. We disagreed on the past, you always disliked him but I didn't think he was that bad and was held back by subpar talent. Well, the talent is better now(even with the OL in its state)but the playcalling and all around offensive design and scheme is still just terrible. 

18 minutes ago, tshile said:

That’s not a ****ing coincidence in multi billion dollar business relationships. ESPN and Amazon do not take the NFL’s platform (which is their prime time games) and eviscerate one of their owners as a normal way of going about their business. They did it because they knew the NFL wouldn’t get mad at them; they did it, I presume, because they know that outside of Snyder the rest of the owners wants this done. 

I think that’s my biggest takeaway from the last 24 hours. The NFL has given the all clear for its partners to go after an owner. 

That cannot be overstated in how big a deal that is. They have reached the point where the break even analysis is pointing in the removal of Dan instead of covering for him. I have real hope for the first time. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 5

Something really disturbing and personally familiar here. 

Dan looks as lost, disheveled, disoriented and unbelieving as I did thirty some odd years ago when I finally came home after a five day drunk only to be tag teamed by friends and family in a coordinated intervention...

I just hope he wakes up and realizes, like I eventually did, that the party's over and he's finally hit bottom.

Just sell the damn team.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2

I think Turners creativity is being held back by Rivera. Young mind being told to run the ball between the tackles more.

How many good young minds are we going to let go through here without admitting maybe they are ok and our organization makes them look like idiots?

I bash Scott like the rest of us but hell Dan could be influencing play calling for all we know. We know he certainly helps pick personnel which directly influences play calling.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Dan looks as lost, disheveled, disoriented and unbelieving as I did thirty some odd years ago  after I finally came home after a five day drunk only to be tag teamed by friends and family in a coordinated intervention...

I just hope he wakes up and realizes, like I eventually did, that the party's over and he's finally hit bottom.

Just sell the damn team.

Yeesh.

Snyder looks like he is in his pajamas and was just woken up after going on a bender.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, GoCommiesGo said:

I think that’s my biggest takeaway from the last 24 hours. The NFL has given the all clear for its partners to go after an owner. 

That cannot be overstated in how big a deal that is. They have reached the point where the break even analysis is pointing in the removal of Dan instead of covering for him. I have real hope for the first time. 

Exactly. 

if not then several, if not most, if the owners would be on the phone with their contacts at both orgs throwing a **** fit. 

does anyone think that happened?

I don’t. 

i think they all likely poured a nice glass of their preferred scotch/whiskey/bourbon. And as they went to their first sip muttered “**** you mr snyder” and enjoyed watching him get put on the screen during prime time looking like a confused homeless person as one of the all time great and loved spokesmen of the NFL said he’s obviously bad for business and needs to go. 

the week before the league reviews the report on how he’s run an org rotten to its core with sexual harassment etc. 

im wrong a lot but damn if I don’t see the writing on the wall here. 

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Dan has officially taken the torch from Mark Davis.  I didn’t think that was possible.  You really have to go out of your way to look like such an absolute train wreck.  At least Davis’ wife isn’t complimented for her “fashion expertise”.  The same lady that influenced the designs for an NFL rebrand let’s her husband attend games looking like Weekend At Bernie’s.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Exactly. 

if not then several, if not most, if the owners would be on the phone with their contacts at both orgs throwing a **** fit. 

does anyone think that happened?

I don’t. 

i think they all likely poured a nice glass of their preferred scotch/whiskey/bourbon. And as they went to their first sip muttered “**** you mr snyder” and enjoyed watching him get put on the screen during prime time looking like a confused homeless person as one of the all time great and loved spokesmen of the NFL said he’s obviously bad for business and needs to go. 

the week before the league reviews the report on how he’s run an org rotten to its core with sexual harassment etc. 

im wrong a lot but damn if I don’t see the writing on the wall here. 

Agreed. 

What happened yesterday only happens if the vast majority of owners approves it. That was a clear shot across the bow to the Snyders, not just Dan, the family. 

I would like to add that even with all that being said, if he gets a stadium he likely going to get the all clear to stay. The league is about money, and right now he’s costing them more than is acceptable. 

If you live in MD or VA contact your state rep and tell them that any approval of giving them public money is unacceptable under any conditions. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

I just don’t see how any politician of any party can give this man public money to fund a stadium.  That’s what is great about ESPN and Michaels making it a point to keep hammering home how awful this guy is.  It’s not just the Post anymore, it’s National.  Nothing would go over like a terd in the punch bowl like giving taxpayer money to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars to Dan Snyder to fund his next failure.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

2 minutes ago, GoCommiesGo said:

if he gets a stadium he likely going to get the all clear to stay.

He ain’t getting a stadium. 

DC and Maryland have made it clear for a while they’re not interested. 

the Republican AG of Virginia owes his political career to his mentor George Allen. And the Republican governor is tied to George as well. There’s a reason the AG jumped at the chance to open an investigation when news dropped of defrauding Virginian season ticket holders. 

Politics is a blood sport. And my money is on him going after Bruce completely torpedoed a VA stadium deal. And he doesn’t have the money to do it himself.  He won’t get a stadium. That dream is dead. 

All bully’s eventually reach a point where they go after the wrong person, and they get their ass kicked for it. It’s the natural progression caused by arrogance. 

And that’s what he did when he went after Allen. And they all know that as long as he doesn’t get a stadium, he’s ****ed. 

He’s the only one that doesn’t understand that. But, that problem will fix itself in due time. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Does anyone though?

Everyone leaves here worse than how they showed up.  Literally every coach we’ve ever had under Dan starts breaking down right before our eyes.  If they were average before they got here, they leave well below average.  This environment just beats folks down.

I always feel like if dudes like Gibbs and Shanny, with 3 rings each and respect across the league, can't survive Dan...nobody can. 

A good dude with mediocre coaching talent like Ron has no chance.

Edited by formerly4skins
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I just don’t see how any politician of any party can give this man public money to fund a stadium.  That’s what is great about ESPN and Michaels making it a point to keep hammering home how awful this guy is.  It’s not just the Post anymore, it’s National.  Nothing would go over like a terd in the punch bowl like giving taxpayer money to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars to Dan Snyder to fund his next failure.

no one is going to stand at a podium next to snyder and announce they just gave hundreds of millions of our (the tax payers) money to snyder 

he had strong people including the speaker backing the proposal. 

And they couldn’t even get it to a vote. 

It’s done. It’s over. Grab your favorite drink. Don your favorite gear. Enjoy watching what we’ve been begging for for YEARs. 

wife isn’t happy but I already told her the moment they announce the move I’m looking at reopening the season ticket account. 

and yeah - I’m going to the parade. Cause there will be a parade. 

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3