Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

3 minutes ago, CommanderCarson said:

This is me sticking up for Rivera who should have kept his cool. Shouldn’t have fed the fire which is all it will do. That being said, I think he’s done a horrendous job. It’s an awful football team that is so disjointed. I don’t see a team, I see a bunch of good players running around by themselves, and that is NOT on Dan Snyder. That’s on Ron and his staff. You can look at it however you like, I saw it with gruden here, i saw it with shanny coaching here, these coaches need to have some accountability on the simple aspects of coaching and the things within their control. Cohesion, playing as a unit, buying into a game plan, putting them into positions to succeed, discipline. It’s all missing. And it’s not cause Dan Snyder looks like a crook up in the suite. Get a Brian Daboll or Sean McVay, a motivator. Ron is just a team president at this point who hates his job. We keep hiring lassiez faire coaches that don’t hold anyone accountable. Tired of all of it. 

Hm, I think you may have missed a couple of key points. Part of the reasons coaches struggle here is because the organization is set up for them to fail in some respects, and in others it is set up to feed their desires. So, do they know their weaknesses (independently), and avoid them, or do they give in? Do they hire their kids/buddies all over the place? I think the guy who did it the best may have been Shanahan, but he also had a lot of owner interference. I haven't gotten the impression that Rivera has had the same level, just based on him hiring so many buddies (so, so many). Snyder is so well established as a poison and this org as a cesspool, he has to promise the kitchen sink to get "good" coaches, who then get power hungry and do things that maybe if they were forced to check themselves against a Pres or GM, they wouldn't do. Not so, here. So it creates the laissez-faire attitude you reference to some degree.

All that said, you are DEAD ON with accountability issues. Again, though, it is related to having all of that power. They don't see themselves as accountable, because it's practically in their contract that way! That's the only way they CAME here, after all. I think you are right though - Rivera should OWN the performance on the field. In particular, the playcalling which was much better today, and look at that, a W. I think we'd be sniffing 4 wins by now with the same playcalling against DAL and PHI. With consistent running plays, even with just Gibson, we would have been competitive in those games.

Just now, SkinsNumberOne said:

Hm, I think you may have missed a couple of key points. Part of the reasons coaches struggle here is because the organization is set up for them to fail in some respects, and in others it is set up to feed their desires. So, do they know their weaknesses (independently), and avoid them, or do they give in? Do they hire their kids/buddies all over the place? I think the guy who did it the best may have been Shanahan, but he also had a lot of owner interference. I haven't gotten the impression that Rivera has had the same level, just based on him hiring so many buddies (so, so many). Snyder is so well established as a poison and this org as a cesspool, he has to promise the kitchen sink to get "good" coaches, who then get power hungry and do things that maybe if they were forced to check themselves against a Pres or GM, they wouldn't do. Not so, here. So it creates the laissez-faire attitude you reference to some degree.

All that said, you are DEAD ON with accountability issues. Again, though, it is related to having all of that power. They don't see themselves as accountable, because it's practically in their contract that way! That's the only way they CAME here, after all. I think you are right though - Rivera should OWN the performance on the field. In particular, the playcalling which was much better today, and look at that, a W. I think we'd be sniffing 4 wins by now with the same playcalling against DAL and PHI. With consistent running plays, even with just Gibson, we would have been competitive in those games.

I’m not missing it at all, those are the things outside of Ron’s control and understand how that can influence things. It’s not an organization set up to succeed, but I don’t expect the guy given the keys to the kingdom to start complaining about the set up and how he was empowered to do anything he wanted football related. Perhaps that wasn’t the case and he’s been lying to cover for Dan. Maybe? I mean it’s not out of the realm of Dan Snyder but it was one hell of an act by Rivera if so. 

My overall point was your second paragraph, which is as much Dan is a cancer, he’s not calling the plays and things are within Ron’s control that I see a lack of control over.

• Like 1

I mean, when Rivera decided to not just be the HC, but essentially be the GM as well of a front office that has an owner who refuses to speak to the media, then yeah he agreed to answer all of the questions about the stuff Dan and everyone else is doing.

Normal teams dont have that hierarchy.  But Rivera did agree to it knowing full well.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

"A fired up Ron Rivera on the report that Dan Snyder picked Carson Wentz: "It's bullsh*t. I'm the fu**ing guy that pulled out the sheets of paper, looked at the analytics and watched the tape in freaking Indianapolis (at the Combine).""

I think that tells you everything about Ron the talent evaluator. The entire analytics community is completely down on Wentz. They said it was a grade A fleecing job by the Colts. The tape was meh to bad on top. So wtf did he look at? What type of analytics told him to trade multiple high draft picks for him and pay him almost 30m on top? Our front office is an absolute joke. They have no clue, none at all. Couple that with the worst owner and the worst culture in the league and you end up where we are right now.

Edited by Panninho
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, Panninho said:

"A fired up Ron Rivera on the report that Dan Snyder picked Carson Wentz: "It's bullsh*t. I'm the fu**ing guy that pulled out the sheets of paper, looked at the analytics and watched the tape in freaking Indianapolis (at the Combine).""

Fired up? It was an unprofessional meltdown, pure and simple. I always thought Rivera had a strong demeanor which helped to keep everyone steady...but he blew it with this one. Honestly, I do agree with others who wish he would show this kind of passion during a game.

OTOH, we seem to forget that Ron survived cancer just a little over a year ago...I wouldn't be surprised if the ordeal sapped some of his energy. Maybe we're being too hard on him...but as far as talent evaluation goes, we aren't! I also have to wonder just exactly what he saw in those tapes about Wince that the other 31 teams missed.

• Thumb down 2
  • Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, Panninho said:

I think that tells you everything about Ron the talent evaluator. The entire analytics community is completely down on Wentz. They said it was a grade A fleecing job by the Colts. The tape was meh to bad on top. So wtf did he look at? What type of analytics told him to trade multiple high draft picks for him and pay him almost 30m on top? Our front office is an absolute joke. They have no clue, none at all. Couple that with the worst owner and the worst culture in the league and you end up where we are right now.

FO has done a decent job drafting IMO.  But Wentz isn't looking hot, discarding their depth on defense isn't lookiing hot either.  They seem to have an inlfated view of their roster which IMO is part of the narrative for this bad season.

I don't doubt Rivera watched tape of Wentz.  But in my view, said so at the time, they got fleeced by Indy in that deal.  My guess is Dan had his finger prints on this as 
I mentioned yesterday after the options were presented -- no way to know for sure -- but I am VERY curious to see what Keim says about this and I bet he will address it -- I'll believe Keim no matter what he says on it. 

Ron is oddly VERY defensive about takes relating to Wentz.  First it was the Jimmy G story from Schecter is BS and he pouted about that in a press conference.  He was irrate in the press conference about that.  Then the media supposedly misinterpreted his comments about him saying QB is why they are behind in the NFC East.  Now this.  New Wentz-Rivera story coming?

Wentz and Rivera has become a General Hospital level soap opera.  It feels like its going in an odd direction -- woudn't surprise me that the addition to the weird journey Wentz's career has been on to end up being the death of Ron's coaching career.  I am definitely not one of the Wentz haters here.  But I'll say the Wentz stuff is getting really weird -- sort of McNabb round 2. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wentz and Rivera has become a General Hospital level soap opera.  It feels like its going in an odd direction -- woudn't surprise me that the addition to the weird journey Wentz's career has been on to end up being the death of Ron's coaching career.  I am definitely not one of the Wentz haters here.  But I'll say the Wentz stuff is getting really weird -- sort of McNabb round 2. 

Ron being overly defensive about wanting Wentz makes him look so much worse.  Maybe he wants to get fired at this point.  

I just can’t see Rivera sticking around, especially if Wentz doesn’t improve and nail down the starting role for 2023. Rivera may have guaranteed money for 2 more years but the guy has battled cancer. He won’t waste a minute of life here if he ultimately wants out.

• Thanks 1

Ron is the end all be all of football on this team. He oversees player acquisition and team performance. Nothing is off limits to ask, ownership can directly impact player acquisition and flow down to team performance. 

If he’s unhappy with the questions he should have done a better job assembling his team. He should have managed his cap distribution better and how his composition of players mesh. 

He wants to talk about analytics and Wentz. The analytic community killed him all off-season, they didn’t restructure to save money for player acquisition this year. That’s all him, and he should answer those questions. 

He also 100% should be able to answer questions relating to ownership issues. He signed up for this ride and it was not a secret who he’s working for. If he’s not prepared for that he didn’t do his due diligence on the market he was walking into. This franchise has been a train wreck for 2 decades, it shouldn’t be a surprise that people want to ask about the latest fire, especially to the guy who signed up to speak to the media on a regular basis. 

Cry me river, and be better across the board. Then you may be able to avoid some questions, instead they’ve gotten worse while other teams have gotten better. Stand up and earn that check you took from the devil, because that’s all on you for signing up to be apart of this **** show. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

https://dknation.draftkings.com/nfl/2022/10/14/23404121/al-michaels-comments-about-dan-snyder-selling-washington-commanders-video-nfl-owners-week-6-tnf

Al Michaels is a good company man. He’s been connected to the NFL since he started calling Monday Night Football in 1986. However, he’s also not going to just shill endlessly for the product as we’ve seen in many broadcasts, including last night’s. If the product is poor, Al will let us know.

So when he does have something to say that is a little different, we should pay attention. As others have noted, Al’s comments weren’t just some random thoughts in his head. They come across as something the NFL wants to be made clear, and wants to do it without having to release official statements. For all intents and purposes, this was an official statement.

It’s unclear what the next steps will be in this messy affair. Someone with a certain amount of shame might want to end this whole affair and move on with their life. Dan Snyder does not appear to have such shame, but I suppose he could surprise us in the coming weeks or months. In the meantime, the NFL will likely continue finding ways to make it known how displeased they are with the whole situation without actually doing anything about it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Synder ain't selling because Al Michaels says he should. As always it rests with the owners.  Even if his claim is true he has dirt on a few, not 24.  I remain optimistic that this will happen. Eventually.  It appears as if getting a stadium deal is his only out. And seeing as all 3 jurisdictions have told him to pack sand that's just not going to happen. 

My switch to the Ravens is made easier because I'm a Maryland guy.  I don't see the Ravens as Baltimore, it's Maryland's team to me. I see the MD flag at mid-field, when they returned to the game they showed a restaurant chef making a crab cake. They never showed that on Washington telecasts.  

• Sad 1

I can’t help but have empathy for folks that coach here.  I get it - they get paid a lot of money to deal with this stuff.

But to be fair, everyone takes this job with this positive attitude that they are going to be the one to change it all.  I’m sure Dan has these guys at hello, talking about coach centric.  In their own minds they really believe they can turn this thing around.  

And in fairness to Ron, he had no idea the **** storm that was about to be unleashed pertaining to Dan.  This is more drama than any head coach has ever has to manage through.  He’s simply following suit and breaking down before our very eyes like everyone else before him.

Before anyone gets out of pocket, I’m not excusing bad roster management, bad clock management, bad challenges, bad coordinators, etc.  I’m just saying it seems every coach here follows this same path and it’s not a coincidence.   I just don’t have any real disdain for Ron, perhaps because I don’t care if they lose.

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

My switch to the Ravens is made easier because I'm a Maryland guy.  I don't see the Ravens as Baltimore, it's Maryland's team to me. I see the MD flag at mid-field, when they returned to the game they showed a restaurant chef making a crab cake. They never showed that on Washington telecasts.  

You keep trying to sell yourself on that.  But you will never be able to muster the passion you had for this team with the Ravens.  You can pretend to.  

It’s sort of like when a guy loses the love of his life.  Starts dating the new girl, she’s younger, hotter and does all the things his wife stopped doing.  He keeps trying to tell himself the new girl is so much better, but still yearns for the old bag no matter what.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, method man said:

I think you are feeling vindicated here on the liquidity point lol

With the shift in the markets, it is also going to become harder to for Snyder to come up with creative ways to take leverage up such as borrowing on his own assets

Thanks.  For me its not really about being vindicated -- its about trusting reporters I typically trust coupled with a series of facts that add up to the same point.

He's rich as heck and some like to make fun of the point by associating his financial situation to ours or setting up a strawman like we are debating whether a billionaire is broke. :ols:  

Yeah in our terms he's ridiculously rich.   But even for a billionaire whose most of their net worth is tied into mostly a nonliquid asset -- a 450 million dollar loan that he's paying interest on isn't like 45 cents to us.  Some say we miss the scale.  But IMO they are missing the scale.  A 450 million dollar loan, 2 billion dollars for a stadium in the backdrop of filling other needs isn't peanuts to him.  You don't have to be a math major to figure that out.

It's almost half billion dollars which is a lot of money, picture having a loan out for 10% of your assets and you also have to make the biggest expense of your life looming at the same time.  that's the scale comparsion here IMO.   

AND if the dude indeed understands that he saves himself with fellow owners by getting a stadium and he's swimming with money it should be a piece a cake for him, just pay for it himself.  Yet, the stadium is derailed this year because he can't get 300 million from Virginia. 

Yet some think I am a fool that Dan sweats whether he ponys up millions in guaranteed money to players -- even with his proven history of being cheap on all types of things, including giving guaranteed money (guranteed money has to be escrowed), and add the backdrop of according to Ron them not doing Richmond camp because its expensive and Sheehan talking about Dan cutting back this year on perks on the road-meals, etc. 

I don't get how it adds up that Dan has all the money in the world to conquer all.    Again I mean that in context of what HE'S dealing with.  Not us.  I don't have to pony up 2 billion dollars or so to pay for a stadium or payback a 450 million dollar loan.  I get that Dan is dealing with a bigger scale but its not hard to figure out the math of that bigger scale.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

And in fairness to Ron, he had no idea the **** storm that was about to be unleashed pertaining to Dan.  This is more drama than any head coach has ever has to manage through.  He’s simply following suit and breaking down before our very eyes like everyone else before him.

He took a job to run the football side from arguably the worst owner in the league. He had to see the way both Gruden and the Shannys spoke about the franchise. The only constant is the owner and sure he may have thought he was the guy to turn it around, but man the history is there as a reference point. 

I feel nothing for him, the players yeah. Ron signed up to be the lead man for Dan and that’s all him. 

• Like 2

Just now, GoCommiesGo said:

He took a job to run the football side from arguably the worst owner in the league. He had to see the way both Gruden and the Shannys spoke about the franchise. The only constant is the owner and sure he may have thought he was the guy to turn it around, but man the history is there as a reference point. 

I feel nothing for him, the players yeah. Ron signed up to be the lead man for Dan and that’s all him. 

I’m not shedding tears for the dude.

But the fact of the matter is there is a difference between Dan’s history of ineptitude and what transpired shortly after Ron took the gig.

The sexual harassment suit, the shadow investigations, the Wilkinson report, the minority owner drama, the name change, rebranding, congressional hearings, the Gruden leaks, and so on.

It’s been an absolute mess and soon he will be able to see his way out of it.  I’m fine with him being collateral damage to get a new owner, but I’ll be having no party to welcome whatever else Dan has up his wrinkled sleeve next.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

I just can’t see Rivera sticking around, especially if Wentz doesn’t improve and nail down the starting role for 2023. Rivera may have guaranteed money for 2 more years but the guy has battled cancer. He won’t waste a minute of life here if he ultimately wants out.

Ron's gonna retire...but only after he plays Wentz enough to say bye-bye to our 2nd rounder.

Dan's gonna hire some nobody as HC and install a puppet "GM".  Again. 

Then, if that's not enough...Dan's gonna go and REALLY fix our QB problem....by getting Cooper Rush.

Don't worry: "The Future Looks Bright".

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not shedding tears for the dude.

But the fact of the matter is there is a difference between Dan’s history of ineptitude and what transpired shortly after Ron took the gig.

The sexual harassment suit, the shadow investigations, the Wilkinson report, the minority owner drama, the name change, rebranding, congressional hearings, the Gruden leaks, and so on.

It’s been an absolute mess and soon he will be able to see his way out of it.  I’m fine with him being collateral damage to get a new owner, but I’ll be having no party to welcome whatever else Dan has up his wrinkled sleeve next.

I get that and no one signs up for that. I’m likely being unfair to Ron is some aspects that are not football related.

I just don’t feel bad for anyone in an executive role that takes a job in an organization run but a really bad leader, especially when it’s well know that the leader is the worst. 

I guess that what I’m stuck on. The level of off the field stuff is absolutely ridiculous and unexpected. Ron is by all accounts a good dude but man he has done himself no favors here. 

I’m just tired of being apathetic to the wins and losses. I very much want a reason to get excited again, and that starts with Dan being removed. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

People piss n moan about Ron hiring his "buddies", Ron is the only selling point about this franchise, he has had to talk people into coming here to work with him. You're not getting top FAs or coaches or anything with the steaming cesspool TheDan has built, you're just not. If it weren't for Ron you wouldn't have jack****, your draft picks would opt to play baseball or something else. 20+ years of idiot interference destroying the entire franchise, everything including the fanbase, and it's Ron's fault for not waving a magic wand and making it all disappear?

I get that y'all are frustrated and unhappy, I am too, LilDan is worst of all a thief on top of all his other faults. He buys it, he gets to do whatever TF he wants but he stole something from us that wasn't part of that deal, our connection and affection for the team, things that went far beyond the games themselves, and he has managed to steal all of that from us no matter how hard we held on and turn it into ****.

But trying to make it all Ron's fault is a childish tantrum. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, GoCommiesGo said:

Ron is by all accounts a good dude but man he has done himself no favors here. 

Does anyone though?

Everyone leaves here worse than how they showed up.  Literally every coach we’ve ever had under Dan starts breaking down right before our eyes.  If they were average before they got here, they leave well below average.  This environment just beats folks down.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1