Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

7 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Rivera skipping the Senior Bowl for any reason makes no sense. Especially in a year where he wants to potentially draft a QB. You can still meet privately with the players you want later if that’s not your preferred venue—the value is in seeing these guys directly next to each other all week, how the ball pops off their hands, how they change throughout the week in response to coaching, how they deal with teammates and what sort of respect they command from people they just met days ago. Yeah our scouts and probably GM will see all that. But there’s no upside to Rivera not being there.

The fact that the name reveal being that same week makes the optics look like he skipped a football event for a Snyder marketing event?? AWFUL. Do you know what Belichick would say when asked about branding events like this? “I deal with football, we’re going to focus on football and making this football team better for next year”. We’ve been saying Rivera should not be tackling this name thing all along obviously, but if he attends a Snyder hype event for the new name while his guys are all doing work at the Senior Bowl, that’s a terrible look regardless of his “real” reasoning. 

Agree that the optics look poor.

But the scouts and GMs are there for a reason. And this is it.

The idea that he's skipping a football activity to improve the team for a marketing event stinks. It really, really, does. That's assuming he goes to the marketing event, too, though.

But, this is also a good way to create misdirection. Washington may not be that interested if Rivera isn't even there.

But I bet he's watching the daily practices and the game and the scouts/whoever goes will fill in the blanks with recorded interviews and such. 

Edited by KDawg

Just now, Chris 44 said:

Recent interview Ron said that he will also not be attending the reveal in person either. 

That’s a relief at least, the optics on that while the senior bowl was ongoing would have been unbearably annoying. 

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

That’s a relief at least, the optics on that while the senior bowl was ongoing would have been unbearably annoying. 

SIP posted this in the branding thread. Pretty good listen as he explains his thoughts behind not going to the senior bowl etc. Not sure if its the right approach but it does give his reasoning behind the decision.  (the full 15 min version)

Edited by Chris 44
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The idea that he's skipping a football activity to improve the team for a marketing event stinks. It really, really, does. That's assuming he goes to the marketing event, too, though.

But, this is also a good way to create misdirection. Washington may not be that interested if Rivera isn't even there.

But I bet he's watching the daily practices and the game and the scouts/whoever goes will fill in the blanks with recorded interviews and such. 

You’re definitely right, and I don’t want to make it seem like I think this is the end of the world (but it’s hard to emphasize that nuance in the middle of three paragraphs, that amount of words definitely implies a level of importance placed on the topic from the poster lol). It just feels like a slight edge we are choosing not to try to exploit. Maybe you’re correct and it’s a misdirect on our QB interest. But it kind of feels like the offseason equivalent of choosing to kneel on your own 20 with 30 seconds left in the half. Yeah it’s understandable and there’s only a 4% chance of scoring or whatever. But not exploiting any potential opportunity feels like a failure when you aren’t a successful organization with a track record of doing things the right way. 

4 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

SIP posted this in the branding thread. Pretty good listen as he explains his thoughts behind not going to the senior bowl etc. Not sure if its the right approach but it does give his reasoning behind the decision.  (the full 15 min version)

Thank you I’ll watch when I get a chance, I didn’t realize worthwhile football stuff was being posted in that cesspool of a name thread :ols:

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

Well, I disagree. That's what the scouts and gm crew are for. I am sure some of the coaches will be there also. I'll have to listen to Ron's reasoning in that posted video.

The players that those in attendance identify; will be brought to Ashburn and Ron will get his one on one time there. It's also possible he wants to focus on coaching only and he trusts his gm/scout crew and their evaluations. I think he realizes this off-season is the moist critical of his tenure and if gets it wrong; his tenure will end sooner than later.

4 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Well, I disagree. That's what the scouts and gm crew are for. I am sure some of the coaches will be there also. I'll have to listen to Ron's reasoning in that posted video.

The players that those in attendance identify; will be brought to Ashburn and Ron will get his one on one time there. It's also possible he wants to focus on coaching only and he trusts his gm/scout crew and their evaluations. I think he realizes this off-season is the moist critical of his tenure and if gets it wrong; his tenure will end sooner than later.

He can do both though. If he’s not at the promo stuff for the name than what is he doing that’s more important?

there’s no positives to not being there, only negatives. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

KOC with three head coaching interviews - Texans, Broncos and Vikings. Even if he does not get a job this cycle, he is close. Such a shame that he and Ron couldn't come to an agreement on getting him to stay. You could've had KOC as OC and Turner as QB coach with Turner taking over OC duties once KOC inevitably left for a HC gig

5 hours ago, Zim489 said:

I don’t think you can argue a single point to why it’s a good thing he’s not going. Like what is the upside to him not going?

-If there is a  guy there you really like it helps build the annual draft misdirection that would link us to said player.

-Who says he does not watch virtually, where he has no risk of Covid since he may still be immune-compromised. Last place he wants to be is a mass gathering if he does not have to be.

So Ron said with Grant and Danny that hes not going to anything name related as well during the week of the Senior Bowl. So our main decision maker is just saying eff it im taking a staycation during the second most important scouting event of the year. That should anger people

7 hours ago, Zim489 said:

I don’t think you can argue a single point to why it’s a good thing he’s not going. Like what is the upside to him not going?

I'm curious as to what else he has to do? Maybe he' has said what it is but why not go and see for yourself what your scouts and GM's are recommending you coach next season? I can only guess that maybe he figures he can cover what he needs to at the combine? 

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

-If there is a  guy there you really like it helps build the annual draft misdirection that would link us to said player.

-Who says he does not watch virtually, where he has no risk of Covid since he may still be immune-compromised. Last place he wants to be is a mass gathering if he does not have to be.

Makes sense.

10 hours ago, KDawg said:

I like the misdirection idea. I suppose if QB is the key focus it might be more important for Scott to be there. On the other hand, a draft is more than one pick and uncovering gems is perhaps more important than seeing potential first rounders. 

As for the optics, it’s even worse since they could have chosen literally any day or week to do the big reveal. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I'm curious as to what else he has to do? Maybe he' has said what it is but why not go and see for yourself what your scouts and GM's are recommending you coach next season? I can only guess that maybe he figures he can cover what he needs to at the combine? 

Go meet new people. You might network with an upcoming coach and you might have to replace some one next season because attrition should always be expected. Just total lack of foresight.

Edited by Zim489
  • Like 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Ron might be doing end of year film review. Or talking to potential new coaches. Or a million other things that seem to be on his plate. 

I doubt he's gonna be sitting at home eating bon bons and watching Brady Bunch reruns.

How about doing those the next week when, you know, there isnt the senior bowl.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

The idea that he shouldn't go to the combine because he'll give away who he really wants seems to suggest that he must be some kind of clown who can't control himself from jumping up and down and urinating when he sees a QB he likes. It's basically a nonsense internet idea.

The team would give away who they want to take through leaks and trade conversations later on. If you're looking for a QB you got to the Senior Bowl and watch, research and talk to all the top prospects. Unless you were so dumb that you only talked to one or gave some comically telegraphed indication you only liked one, there is no way you'd be giving away who you wanted to draft.

Also, I find it really hard to believe, given the nature of this crop of QBs and the fact that Rivera so recently ended a coaching season, that he is anywhere near having decided on a guy for him to worry about needing "misdirection" over.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

It's basically a nonsense internet idea.

What? Teams actively hide their draft boards. There is massive value in hiding your draft preferences behind a smokescreen and teams can and do put effort into shielding their desirable candidates. Not showing massive interest in specific areas is a great way to sow those seeds of misdirection. Efforts to create that misdirection around the draft is the majority accepted expectation at this point. Not attending specific pro days, who you send where, what questions you ask, its all part of it.

Its not like we are not going at all. Its not some cause for alarm when we don't hogtie ourselves to a prospect by sending Rivera, Dan, the jersey fitter and the HR department rep to meet a guy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

What? Teams actively hide their draft boards. There is massive value in hiding your draft preferences behind a smokescreen and teams can and do put effort into shielding their desirable candidates. Not showing massive interest in specific areas is a great way to sow those seeds of misdirection. Efforts to create that misdirection around the draft is the majority accepted expectation at this point. Not attending specific pro days, who you send where, what questions you ask, its all part of it.

Its not like we are not going at all. Its not some cause for alarm when we don't hogtie ourselves to a prospect by sending Rivera, Dan, the jersey fitter and the HR department rep to meet a guy.

I gotta say, if they gave awards for ignoring almost everything you're responding to and throwing out a straw man argument, I'd start preparing an acceptance speech, because that was:

delicious-tasty.gif

And Rivera can't go because he'd give away who he wants, but it's okay because he's sending plenty of other people, who presumably won't give that away? Alright, so you think Rivera is a complete clown> Glad we got that sorted. 

15 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

And Rivera can't go because he'd give away who he wants, but it's okay because he's sending plenty of other people, who presumably won't give that away? Alright, so you think Rivera is a complete clown> Glad we got that sorted. 

Do I really need to explain the optics of an organization sending a few reps to view specific prospects vs sending the top brass of an org to view those same prospects regardless of the poker face abilities involved? Those two scenarios will be viewed very differently with or without our scouts visibly drooling over a guy.

In the same manner as Dan meeting draft prospects himself, it carries different levels of weight. Rivera's presence in and of itself carries significance. Simple stuff.

Edited by FootballZombie