Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

I believe the main crux of these stories, if not the details. Snyder amassed nearly the entirety of his fortune through overleverage and debt prior to being team majority owner, so I have no doubt of financial malfeasance at play here. You'll need a team of at least 50 forensic accountants to comb the organization's books but I'm 100% certain they'd find enough GAAP irregularities and violations to propose criminal penalties.

Edited by BurgundyBooger
  • Like 3

These are pretty serious allegations and the issues are stacking up against little dan.

Just remember, with all of these stories that are dripping out...its like seeing a mouse in your house.  For every one you see, there's a dozen you don't.  

Just wait until we get the details on what that $1.6m was for.

• Thanks 3

Not sure where else to post this from The Athletic.  Hope it's not too long to post.. but thought it was a good read on RR's battles this year:

About seven months after becoming the coach of the Washington Football Team, Ron Rivera was shaving and he noticed a lump on his neck. As he turned his head, he felt soreness. Must be a summer cold coming on, he thought.

And then he put it out of his mind.

He and his wife Stephanie returned to their California roots for a vacation. They visited with family and friends and golfed. When he returned to work, one week before the start of training camp, the lump remained.

Team doctor Anthony Casolaro told him to keep an eye on it. A week later, after training camp started, it hadn’t changed. Casolaro took Rivera for a scan, and the results were concerning. A biopsy followed.

Within 10 minutes, Casolaro spoke words that make all others seem insignificant.

“You have cancer.”

What Rivera quickly realized was his diagnosis would affect many besides himself. His first responsibility was telling Stephanie and their children Christopher, 34, and Courtney, 27. Casolaro volunteered to accompany Rivera home to explain the ramifications. The good news, Casolaro told them, was the cancer was detected early, and the disease — squamous cell cancer in a lymph node — was treatable. The bad news was the treatment would be harsh.

The phone call Rivera dreaded was to his parents. Rivera had lost his older brother Mickey to pancreatic cancer, and he didn’t want his mom and dad to go through it again. His mother Dolores was understandably triggered, but he was able to calm her.

As Rivera spoke with his father Eugenio, he realized Eugenio had knowledge about the treatment his son would be receiving. Son asked father how he knew about it, and father made an admission: Eugenio had a similar treatment for prostate cancer, which traced to when Agent Orange exposure during the Vietnam war. But Eugenio never told his children until he learned about Ron’s cancer.

The next concern was his team, and his world at large. After Rivera talked with team owner Dan Snyder and media relations director Sean DeBarbieri, the decision was made to tell the team after an evening walk-through, and then make a public statement.

Standing in the middle of a circle of his players, Rivera said, “I wanted to let you guys know because you are going to hear it from all over, and I want you to hear it directly from me. I have a form of cancer. It invaded one of my lymph nodes. I will be undergoing proton therapy treatments and chemotherapy for seven weeks. I’m going to lose weight and be fatigued. They tell me it’s good to keep working, but there may be times when I can’t.”

Stunned looks. Hugs. Back pats. Fist bumps. Encouraging words.

Running backs coach Randy Jordan led the team in prayer. Linebacker Thomas Davis, who had been with Rivera on the Panthers, asked to pray one-on-one with him. Davis asked that his coach would have the strength to fight through the process, and for a full recovery.

The team released a statement about Rivera’s cancer, and hundreds of texts lit up his phone. Then came calls, emails, cards, and notes. Some friends reached out every day. Rivera heard from people from every stop on his life’s path, from his childhood in Seaside, California, to Berkeley where he was an All-American at Cal, to the Chicago Bears where he played nine years and was part of what many consider the greatest defense of all-time, to his days as “Coach Rivera” with the Eagles, Bears, Chargers and Panthers. He even was contacted by people he didn’t know, like Rams special teams coach John Bonamego, who is in his fifth year of remission from squamous cell carcinoma.

A lot was happening. There was so much to process. Emotions were running high.

The emotion that ran highest was indignation. “I was really angry about it,” he says, like the former linebacker he is. “It really pissed me off.”

After all, how could he heal a team that finished 3-13 the year before when he needed healing himself?

When Rivera was a rookie linebacker on the Bears 36 years ago, defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan told him he reminded him of the Freddie Prinze character Chico from the television show “Chico and The Man.” So Rivera, who is of Puerto Rican and Mexican descent, became “Chico” to his teammates and friends.

Rivera, proud of his ethnicity, always considered it as a tribute to his heritage.

It was with that same spirit that he considered the name Redskins. “I was actually a Redskins fan growing up because of Chris Hanburger,” Rivera says. “I just loved him. I followed him. Charley Taylor worked with my dad in the army, so I followed him. I had a friend from my hometown area who played here, LeCharls McDaniel, and he was somebody I looked up to. Initially, I was opposed to a name change. … You name your team after things you honor, that you think are special. But the deeper we got into this, the more I realized how sensitive an issue it was.”

While reading The Real All-Americans by Washington Post columnist Sally Jenkins in the offseason, Rivera began to reconsider his position. The book is about the Carlisle Indian School’s football team in the early 1900s, and it made him more appreciative of the plight of Native Americans.

At the end of June, Washington owner Dan Snyder told Rivera he was thinking of changing the team name. Rivera said he thought it was a good idea.  Shortly after, team sponsors including Nike, FedEx, and PepsiCo threatened to end their associations unless Snyder stopped calling his team the Redskins. On July 3, Snyder told Rivera he had decided to change the name. It was Rivera who was left to explain the matter publicly.

Previously in June, Rivera realized he needed to address the team in light of the social unrest stemming from the killing of George Floyd. Ten days later, Rivera received an email from an administrative employee of the team saying he was very disappointed that Rivera did not address the entire organization. Rivera subsequently set up a series of town hall meetings with more than 200 administrative employees in which he took the blame for not being more proactive about the matter.

“We didn’t have a president,” Rivera says of Washington, who since has hired Jason Wright for the role. “We didn’t have a G.M. I was the voice. That was the first mistake I learned from. I apologized.”

Rivera also was the voice for questions on the Washington Post story about 15 former female Washington employees alleging they were sexually harassed on the job between 2006 and 2019.

Earlier in the offseason, it had been up to Rivera to make the difficult decisions to trade disgruntled eight-time Pro Bowler Trent Williams, and to cut 2018 second-round pick Derrius Guice after a domestic violence arrest.

And then on top of everything came cancer, the worst chapter in a what-else-could-go-wrong? beginning.

A calendar on a greaseboard in the office of Washington football operations director Paul Kelly noted each of Rivera’s 35 proton therapy treatments and three chemotherapy treatments. Five days before Rivera’s first game as head coach of his new team, he had his first of each.

ElRhY3mXYAccqzC.jpeg

After he received chemo from an IV, Rivera’s head and shoulders were locked onto a stainless steel table — with a loud click — so he could not move. A custom-made mesh mask covered his face as a machine rotated about 12 inches above him, delivering the radiation that was supposed to heal. The hour or so he was clamped on the table seemed like several. When he was released, he stood, or tried to. He shook uncontrollably, his face reddened, and he had to sit. Eventually, the anxiety passed.

It would return, though.

One week later, Rivera returned for his second proton treatment. As soon as he was locked onto the table, he couldn’t breathe. His throat went dry. He called the proton therapists with the stress signal he had been taught. He was released from the table.

After calming down, he tried again. But as soon as he heard the click, he started to feel anxious. So he did what he does best: he coached. He told himself, “OK, body, let’s go. This is for your own good. We’re here to kick cancer’s ass. When those protons start hitting, send those white blood cells over, and let’s get after it.”

It became his routine for every treatment.

As a player, Rivera rode the bench for 44 games before getting his first start. It wasn’t because he was incapable. It was because he played behind superstars Mike Singletary, Wilber Marshall and Otis Wilson. In his first game, he was named NFC defensive player of the week. Later in his life, he was fired as Bears defensive coordinator after making it to the Super Bowl and allowing the third-fewest points in the NFL.

The point is, he is a man who understands how to separate what can be controlled from what cannot be.

Some things, like fatigue, would not be controlled. “It was like having a 300-pound gorilla draped over you,” he says. “I’d go to walk, and I’d feel heavy. I’d lift my head, and my neck would feel heavy. My shoulders would drop.”

He tried to yell at practice but didn’t have the strength. He had to move close to players so he didn’t exert himself by raising his voice.

Since Rivera needed a few naps every day, Kelly moved a recliner in his office and requested couches in Rivera’s offices at every stadium they visited. Rivera never has been very good at putting up barriers to keep people away, so Kelly, whose office is connected to Rivera’s, served as gatekeeper to make sure the coach had his rest.

One month after his treatment began, energy was a memory for Rivera. “I’m like ‘Coach, go home, what are you doing?'” defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio says.

Rivera usually had nothing left by dinner time, so he went home, where he’d watch an episode of The Big Bang Theory, his favorite show, and be asleep by 8:30.

On Oct. 6, after Rivera’s second treatment, his white blood count was low. It was an off day for players, but Davis was there for treatment and he saw Rivera entering the back door to the training room, “literally being brought in on his wife’s shoulder and (head athletic trainer Ryan Vermillion’s) shoulder.” Rivera was there to receive hydration intravenously, but he wouldn’t stay. Stephanie and Vermillion helped him to his car, and Stephanie drove him home.

All Rivera wanted to do was sleep. His throat was raw, so swallowing was painful, and food didn’t taste right. Eating had no appeal. But he had already lost about 25 pounds and was on his way to losing another 11. He had been told he needed to consume more than usual because the therapy was revving his metabolism, and his body was burning more calories than usual.

Stephanie made chicken noodle soup and pleaded with him. No, he wasn’t interested. Casolaro called. Doctor’s orders were to do whatever necessary to eat. Rivera dragged himself to the dinner table and just sat there as his soup got cold. Courtney begged him to eat until she became too upset, then left the room. Taho, the family Golden Retriever, nudged him with his nose, then walked away. Then Sierra, their lab/pitbull mix, gave him one of those looks.  Rivera slipped her a piece of his toast, and she walked away.

Now it was just Rivera and his soup.

He forced down the bowl.

That was his lowest point.

Eating, though, would remain a challenge.

Sometimes, Stephanie’s chicken noodle soup was delicious. Other times, he couldn’t stomach it. Anything acidic, like ketchup, felt like alcohol on an open cut going down his throat. Vanilla and bacon had no flavor.

For a while, bottled water tasted like ocean water. He tried pineapple juice, apple juice, pear juice, and Gatorade. All of it tasted metallic.

Stephanie tried mixing about 10 different kinds of protein powders in his meals. What appealed to him most was a breakfast of two pancakes or a waffle, drenched in syrup to help him swallow, and a lunch of a ground beef taco with lettuce, tomato, cheese, and sour cream — no hot sauce — from Taco Bell.

Rivera had to rinse with a concoction of water, baking soda, and salt frequently throughout the day to avoid getting sores in his mouth. Stephanie prepared bottles of the rinse and marked them with an X so no one besides her husband would take a swig. She also prepared packets of his medicines, between 10 and 12 pills, depending on the point of the cycle and time of the day.

A cancer like Rivera’s can be as taxing on the family as the victim. Courtney cared for him well and often was his driver. Christopher flew in to be with the family to help out during a rough time.

Stephanie has been by his side since they met at a frozen yogurt shop on the Cal campus when both were student-athletes. She has worn his ring for 36 years. His care became her life. Just before Ron’s final chemo treatment, he was home alone, thinking about all of the sacrifices Stephanie had made, and how lost he would have been without her. He broke down.

He felt a similar emotional swell once when sitting in his office. He turned around and looked at the picture on the wall of him, his father, and his three brothers. His eyes were drawn to Mickey, who passed away five years earlier.

He had thought of Mickey often during his ordeal. But this was different.

Why him and not me?

The only answers for some questions are tears.

At 5:45 in the morning on Oct. 7, the day after Rivera’s worst day, he stepped into the shower. He stayed in the shower for about 30 minutes because the water on his neck was soothing, and one of his only physical pleasures.

As he dried himself, Rivera realized he felt better than he did the previous day.

This was an end. And a beginning.

He went to work, called quarterback Dwayne Haskins into his office, and told him he was replacing him in the starting lineup with Kyle Allen. Washington was 1-3 and Haskins had been ineffective. Moreover, Haskins wasn’t comporting himself like a pro.

The narrative about his team was that it was rebuilding, and this was a long-term project. But Rivera, who had been forced to consider his own mortality because of his illness, said he felt obligated to take a shot at short-term glory. When you have cancer, he learned, it’s a day-to-day life.

At the time Washington was a half a game behind the Eagles for first place in the NFC East. “Nobody was running away with the division,” the 58-year-old says. “So why not take a shot and see what happens?”

Rivera has control of Washington’s roster. He could have drafted quarterbacks Justin Herbert or Tua Tagovailoa with the second pick of the April draft.  He took defensive end Chase Young, the probable defensive rookie of the year, and gave Haskins, the 15th pick of the previous draft, a chance.

“Without having the beginnings of OTAs, what I went off of in terms of Dwayne was … he started four of their last games and was solid, made good decisions,” Rivera says. “He’s got a really good arm, he really does. He’s got a lot to learn because the style of offense he played in college really doesn’t translate into the NFL as much. So we didn’t need to make a quarterbacking decision.”

It had been a poorly kept secret that Haskins was drafted because of Snyder. When Rivera told Snyder he was benching Haskins, Snyder told him, “I support you. “Whatever you think is best for us, you go ahead and do.”

Said Rivera, “It was never really about, ‘Hey Ron, you need to play this guy,'” Rivera says. “That’s never happened, and people need to understand that.”

One of the reasons Rivera was drawn to Washington was Snyder offered a “coach-centric” arrangement in which the head coach had control over football operations. Their honeymoon has gone the way honeymoons should. They talk about every other day. “His first question never was, ‘How’s the team?'” Rivera says. “It was, ‘How do you feel? How were the treatments?  What did the doctor tell you?’ We spent five or 10 minutes every day talking about it.”

Snyder, a survivor of thyroid cancer, was supportive beyond what could be expected. The team traveled to Phoenix two days before their first road game against the Cardinals, but Rivera’s medical team thought he should fly the day before the game. Snyder arranged for Rivera and Stephanie to travel on his private plane.

Football coaches often like to be in charge of everything, but cancer taught Rivera to depend on others.

Rivera’s final treatment was on October 26. As Rivera gained strength in November, his team began playing better. Washington won four straight and took over first place in the division.

The arc of Washington’s season followed the arc of Rivera’s cancer fight, and to Washington linebacker Jared Norris, it was not mere coincidence. “I think it was symbolic in terms of him progressing and us getting better,” he says. “Everybody had something to push through.”

Rivera had become more than the man with the whistle around his neck. He became an inspiration, their inspiration. Davis says the more Rivera has been around, the harder his players have wanted to work and compete.

“There is some correlation of him stubbornly going through it, working at it, not giving up, fighting the whole time,” Del Rio says of Rivera, who missed only three practices and didn’t miss a game. “It’s kind of what we’ve embraced as a team and learned about ourselves. There are a lot of young players that are learning what it looks like to be a man and fight a good fight … And the guy’s a fighter. He’s a tough sucker now. He’s one tough hombre.”

Even though the coach and his team were revitalized, the challenges kept coming. The black cloud from the sexual harassment accusations never left, and last week the Post reported Snyder paid a former employee accusing sexual misconduct $1.6 million in a confidential settlement in 2009.

Allen lasted only four games at quarterback before suffering a season-ending ankle injury. He was replaced by Alex Smith, who started five games before a calf injury forced him to miss the last two. Haskins became a starter again, but then he partied at a private venue and was photographed without a mask. Rivera subsequently stripped him of his captaincy and fined him $40,000.

Haskins still appeared to have value in the short term and long. That changed this week. Haskins was benched in the fourth quarter of a loss to the Panthers after throwing two interceptions and leading the offense to only six points. After the game, Haskins left the stadium instead of participating in a Zoom press conference. Rivera spent about 90 minutes on the situation Sunday night, and eventually, Haskins spoke to the media from his home. It was another in a string of issues with Haskins.

That night, Rivera told Snyder he had enough, and Snyder backed his coach. On Monday, Haskins was released. “He probably has to hit rock bottom before he figures it out,” Rivera says. “This will help him if he learns from it.”

Now Washington has to beat the Eagles on Sunday night to win the East and make the playoffs. If they do, Rivera, who has overcome more adversity than anyone, will be a coach of the year candidate.

Rivera has regained about nine pounds. Water doesn’t taste funny anymore.  His voice is thinner and tinnier than it was because his vocal cords are swollen. Doctors have told him to expect to develop a jowl soon because his glands will be draining. He still is more tired than usual, and gets brain fog at times.

He will know more after a PET scan in January, but thus far, his treatment appears to have done what it was supposed to do.

On the right side of Rivera’s neck is a scar about the shape and size of a small tangerine. On the left side is another mark that appears to be fading. They are the souvenirs of the radiation that literally burned holes in him.

Scars, it turns out, can be liberating.

Rivera is not depleted anymore. And he’s not angry, either.

“I’m glad I went through it, and I’m getting stronger,” he says. “I have an appreciation now for the little things. I have an appreciation for people.”

He also has an appreciation for comprehensive health care. Rivera has been outspoken about the lack of a federally funded medical insurance program. He would like to advocate for those who do not have coverage.

If the dreams that Ron Rivera dreams come true, his cancer battle could lead to a more efficient health care system.

To say nothing of a healed coach and a healed team.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

My hope is if and when the league forces Dan to sell, it will be a lesson to all future sports franchise owners that if you are a smug, arrogant, tool that presides over a perennial losing franchise, the truth about you will eventually come out because folks will make it their mission to find it, and rightfully so.

i don't think being owner of a perennial losing franchise should play any part in things. If this were Kraft or the Rooneys I'd still be wanting the same things for them.

12 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

i don't think being owner of a perennial losing franchise should play any part in things. If this were Kraft or the Rooneys I'd still be wanting the same things for them.

Of course everyone deserves justice no matter who the perpetrator is. 

But I have to believe that Dan’s high profile and the general disgust with him as owner has helped lead to a lot of this coming to a head of late.

• Like 1

What we have also heard is this: As the Washington pick at No. 15 drew closer, there was not much discussion and banter in the tense war room. Kyle Smith, then the director of college scouting and now the vice president of player personnel, had three players to select at the Washington spot, according to sources.

Three names. "Haskins'' was not among them.

Montez Sweat, who Washington would later trade back up in the first round for with Indianapolis, was one of the players. Sweat later cost a 2019 second-rounder and then what turned out to be the No. 34 overall pick this year to move back into the first round. 

What's more is, Smith apparently waited and waited as the clock and picks started to inch closer to Washington's choice ... and then he started to take some command of the room.

Smith started to ask questions on what the choice was going to be. Sources described to us a tense silence. Smith asked the room specifically: Is the organization really thinking of taking Haskins?

At that point, one voice chimed in. It was the owner's voice, confirming that Haskins was going to be the choice.

His choice.

More silence ensued in the moments around the pick and with the pick made, Smith pushed himself up from the table and unloaded on the room - a speech that was described as "fiery and passionate'' about the pick and how much he disagreed with the selection.

Smith then sat down. Some in the room that night have told us since that they thought he would be fired immediately. Maybe he sat down just in time to retain his job?

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/vomit-3-better-choices-inside-the-wft-drafting-of-dwayne-haskins

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Sad 4

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What we have also heard is this: As the Washington pick at No. 15 drew closer, there was not much discussion and banter in the tense war room. Kyle Smith, then the director of college scouting and now the vice president of player personnel, had three players to select at the Washington spot, according to sources.

Three names. "Haskins'' was not among them.

Montez Sweat, who Washington would later trade back up in the first round for with Indianapolis, was one of the players. Sweat later cost a 2019 second-rounder and then what turned out to be the No. 34 overall pick this year to move back into the first round. 

What's more is, Smith apparently waited and waited as the clock and picks started to inch closer to Washington's choice ... and then he started to take some command of the room.

Smith started to ask questions on what the choice was going to be. Sources described to us a tense silence. Smith asked the room specifically: Is the organization really thinking of taking Haskins?

At that point, one voice chimed in. It was the owner's voice, confirming that Haskins was going to be the choice.

His choice.

More silence ensued in the moments around the pick and with the pick made, Smith pushed himself up from the table and unloaded on the room - a speech that was described as "fiery and passionate'' about the pick and how much he disagreed with the selection.

Smith then sat down. Some in the room that night have told us since that they thought he would be fired immediately. Maybe he sat down just in time to retain his job?

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/vomit-3-better-choices-inside-the-wft-drafting-of-dwayne-haskins

We’ve heard Sweat and Savage.  I wonder if the third one was Burns and who he would have selected.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Kyle is just not ready for GM.  It’s not simply scouting.  Let him learn under like Schoen.  He’ll learn the job and be ready to take over. 

How do you know he’s not ready?  He apparently (according to Russell) had the guts to tell the owner he was wrong on Haskins, before they took him.  How many young folks would have that gumption?

There’s also an assumption that it would be Schoen (the attraction is understood).  What if Rivera would bring in Hurney / Mayhew instead?  Based on their recent results, that feels like a downgrade from Kyle to me.

12 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

He apparently (according to Russell) had the guts to tell the owner he was wrong on Haskins, before they took him.  How many young folks would have that gumption?

I don't think he came off well in that article. If you know your owner is an egotistical narcissist, it's not smart to just tell him off and especially not in front of all those people. You gotta be more diplomatic in how you handle personalities like that. Influence them and make them think your idea was their idea.

Honestly, reading that account makes me better understand the notion that he's not yet ready. You just don't cause a scene like that IMO, especially so that the owner then loses face with the rest of the staff.

8 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I don't think he came off well in that article. If you know your owner is an egotistical narcissist, it's not smart to just tell him off and especially not in front of all those people. You gotta be more diplomatic in how you handle personalities like that. Influence them and make them think your idea was their idea.

Honestly, reading that account makes me better understand the notion that he's not yet ready. You just don't cause a scene like that IMO, especially so that the owner then loses face with the rest of the staff.

I see your point, but not sure I agree.  If he felt that strongly about it, he should make his feelings clear.  It was a big decision.  Supposedly Dan loves him, so it doesn’t sound like it ultimately hurt him. He was one of the last men standing after Ron’s hiring.

Most importantly, he was right.  If an empowered Kyle sticks around with someone else as GM, I’m ok with it.  But they should not let him leave.  We have drafted much better in recent years with him in charge, and our FA moves were strong this offseason as well.

Just now, Andre The Giant said:

Most importantly, he was right.

I hear you but my experience in the corporate world has taught me being right is almost never the most important thing.

Influence and how/where/when/why you spend political capital are of paramount importance in any organization. Obviously IDK what kind of relationship he has with Snyder - I've also heard that Snyder loves him but the article said some people thought Kyle might have been fired on the spot with that kind of outburst. So who knows.

In my experience, outbursts like that are more indulgent than anything. And since Kyle gave his speech after the selection was made, it appears even moreso that way. That he just had to get up there and prove to everyone how right he was. And yes, he was right. But what did that little stunt accomplish? Plus it's not like the other staff members didn't agree. They knew it was a bad pick. Bruce Allen tried to talk Snyder out of it before the pick, and it sounds like he did it in private, which would have been much more effective.

Again, IDK the gory details. But to me, that incident makes Kyle come off as a really talented scout who still has a lot to learn about leading an organization at the highest levels. Just my $0.02