Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

Video Shows Detroit Police SUV Plowing Through Group of Protesters

A shocking video filmed Sunday night in Detroit shows a police SUV plowing through a group of peaceful protesters, sending people flying from the vehicle’s hood.

The footage, posted to Twitter by demonstrator Ethan Ketner, shows a protest group surrounding the vehicle before it speeds off. The SUV hits multiple people and some demonstrators, who had climbed onto the cop car, are sent spinning as the driver accelerates. Onlookers can be heard screaming and telling the officer to stop.

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

You would think there would be laws against what they did.

I’m sure there are in Europe, where you can go to jail for harming someone that breaks into your house.  In the US it’s unlikely menacing people trespassing on private property with weapons will be illegal.  The protesters entered through a metal gate that clearly read “Private Property.”  Rich folks live in gated communities for a reason.

Personally I have mixed feelings.  I strongly support castle laws, but hate gated communities and any sort of beige pants.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This whole thing looks like a skit from Key and Peele.

That said, if the protesters broke down the gate to get through there and are walking on their lawn, I can totally see why they would freak out.  At the same time, they welcomed it to get worse by standing out there with guns.

All of this is just ugh.

They didn't call the police, and it's illegal to aim your firearm at someone who isn't posing an imminent danger to you or to someone else.  Missouri's Stand Your Ground law doesn't allow for doing so to protect property. As of right now i haven't seen any video showing people on their lawn. The husband said in an interview that the protestors were "in his face" yet the video shows the wife actually walking towards the protesters and getting in their face. While pointing a gun at them. He said his rifle was the only thing keeping the protesters from storming his house, yet there have been no reports of anyone else on his block or in his neighborhood doing so or feeling their lives were in danger.

This comes across as the couple got overly spooked by the crowd because they've bought into the "protesters = violent rioters" narrative. My guess would be that any threats yelled to the couple were the protesters responding, not instigating.

3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

They didn't call the police, and it's illegal to aim your firearm at someone who isn't posing an imminent danger to you or to someone else.  Missouri's Stand Your Ground law doesn't allow for doing so to protect property. As of right now i haven't seen any video showing people on their lawn. The husband said in an interview that the protestors were "in his face" yet the video shows the wife actually walking towards the protesters and getting in their face. While pointing a gun at them. He said his rifle was the only thing keeping the protesters from storming his house, yet there have been no reports of anyone else on his block or in his neighborhood doing so or feeling their lives were in danger.

This comes across as the couple got overly spooked by the crowd because they've bought into the "protesters = violent rioters" narrative. My guess would be that any threats yelled to the couple were the protesters responding, not instigating.

I think what they did was awful, stupid, and very dangerous.  That said, supposedly in St. Louis, the sidewalk is considered part of your property and going by that old MO supreme court ruling, it seems they were within their legal rights, unless there's a more recent ruling?

14 minutes ago, visionary said:

I think what they did was awful, stupid, and very dangerous.  That said, supposedly in St. Louis, the sidewalk is considered part of your property and going by that old MO supreme court ruling, it seems they were within their legal rights, unless there's a more recent ruling?

Technically, in a lot of gated communities, all roadways (and sidewalks) within are private. If done correctly, cities will sell the roads to the residents of that gated community and the upkeep of them will be up to the residents. 

That said, Karen and Ken didn't help by pointing their guns as people walked by. They are lucky that no one wanted violence since they were obviously overmatched. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

8 minutes ago, visionary said:

The sidewalk = private property thing could be accurate (seems like it would be), but in Missouri it's illegal to "angrily exhibit a weapon in the presence of one or more people"...

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 3.02.07 PM.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

They didn't call the police, and it's illegal to aim your firearm at someone who isn't posing an imminent danger to you or to someone else.  Missouri's Stand Your Ground law doesn't allow for doing so to protect property. 

Stand your ground, is for when you’re out in the world.  Castle doctrine is for when your in your own home.

Missouri Castle Doctrine

Missouri recognizes the "castle doctrine" and allows residents to use deadly force against intruders based on the notion that your home is "your castle." This legal doctrine assumes that if an invader disrupts the sanctity of your home, they intend to do you harm and therefore you should be able to protect yourself or others against an attack.

Missouri's law is more extensive than those of other states because it allows you to use deadly force to attack an intruder to protect any private property that you own, in addition to yourself or another individual. This means that if someone illegally enters your front porch or backyard, you can use deadly force against them without retreating first.

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/missouri-law/missouri-self-defense-laws.html

The protesters in this instance were not on a public road, they were on private property and broke in to gain entry.  Here’s the gate:

6DBMv9Y.jpg

what I’m not clear on is just how private “private property” of a gated community is.  

• Like 1