Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2020 DB thread

We needed one of these threads (we have one for practically every other unit). And this unit will be one of the most critical ones, and maybe with the most question marks.

Like, how much of a weak link will it be ?

Other than Landon Collins and Kendall Fuller, I don't think anyone can say with certainty who will start at all these positions, on opening day (both the CB and Safety positions)

But we might as well start guessing. It will be worthy of watching at TC and Preseason.

Starting with CB, we got 4 guys who are worthy of starting. But how does this shake out ?

Top 4  CB's (not necessarily in this order) :

Fuller

Darby

Moreland

Moreau

Honorable Mentions, competing for final spots at CB :

Greg Stroman

Danny Johnson

Aaron Colvin

At Safety, Collins is a lock, to start. Most people assume that Sean Davis is, too. He may very well be. But I don't that's written in stone. We might even sign someone else to compete with SD.

Other Safeties are :

Jeremy Reaves

Curl (draft pick)

Everett

Apke

Could our 2 Hybrids be a factor here : Hudson and/or JHC ?

Longshots at DB : Simeon Thomas, Maurice Smith

I'm hoping something clicked for Moreau last year. Once they put him on the outside, he looked better. It could be a question of coaches using him right and him finally getting game time. Maybe he can take another step up.

That said, no one on defense looked good last year. 

58 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'm hoping something clicked for Moreau last year. Once they put him on the outside, he looked better. It could be a question of coaches using him right and him finally getting game time. Maybe he can take another step up.

That said, no one on defense looked good last year. 

See, this is where I am, the entire roster is up in the air because there was no reliable indicators in last year's burning dumpster scheme. My expectations for Ron & Co. are probably too high at this point but that stems from my opinion that they are actually competent at their jobs and might/will/maybe? run the damn D like a pro outfit. Outside noise, internal dysfunction, lack of consistency kinda get everyone a pass and the benefit of the doubt after last year but it's gonna be a microscopically short honeymoon if the cartoon continues.

I'd say the top four corners on that list will be our starters with possibly a couple bodies brought in that were cut from other teams... I would say cornerback is definitely our biggest ? Right next to tight end.. and o line LOL..

I think Darby can be beaten out by one of the younger guys. He needs to come in here and show up strong or he could even be cut. From what Ive read, Kurl is a likely special teams stud....Apke is another one who better show up big time or I see him looking for work elsewhere too. 

To me, Moreau’s problems last year seemed to be almost entirely mental mistakes when in Zone. I think he played well when in Man. As I’ve said before, I think we play a lot more man defense this year under JDR, which suit the strengths of Moreau, Fuller and Moreland.

I’m not too sure about Darby.  His main issue seems to be how terrible he is at finding and making a play on the ball once it’s in the air. I think he gave up something like a 145 passer rating in these situations last year. But I think he was pretty successful in Man when he was playing with the Bills. 

I think Apke should have gotten more playing time last season. He looked a lot more competent than Monte when he was out there. Should be a good camp battle between him and Davis. 

Darby is a risk reward situation.  Will be look better 1 year further removed from the ACL injury?  Will he look like he did in 2017 (with Eagles pass rush) again with  our defensive line?

Maybe.  Maybe not.  I'm not sold on Moreland as more than a Nickel guy.  But we just paid big money to Fuller to be that guy.  So I don't think we have a whole lot of depth to fall back on if Darby doesn't pan out.

To have the unit be respectable.  We need Fuller and Collins to be good, and Davis (at FS) to be reliable, then Moreau and Darby to be ok.  I'm not convinced that's going to happen.

I think our pass rush will make our secondary look better than it is, and it'll still be a need area in the 2021 draft.

28 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Darby is a risk reward situation.  Will be look better 1 year further removed from the ACL injury?  Will he look like he did in 2017 (with Eagles pass rush) again with  our defensive line?

Maybe.  Maybe not.  I'm not sold on Moreland as more than a Nickel guy.  But we just paid big money to Fuller to be that guy.  So I don't think we have a whole lot of depth to fall back on if Darby doesn't pan out.

To have the unit be respectable.  We need Fuller and Collins to be good, and Davis (at FS) to be reliable, then Moreau and Darby to be ok.  I'm not convinced that's going to happen.

I think our pass rush will make our secondary look better than it is, and it'll still be a need area in the 2021 draft.

Landon Collins said back a couple of months ago that Moreland will easily be the biggest break out player on the defense. He loves him. 

10 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

We needed one of these threads. We have a thread for practically every other unit. And this unit will be one of the most critical ones, and maybe with the most question marks.

Other than Landon Collins and Kendall Fuller, I don't think anyone can say with certainty who will start at all these positions, on opening day (both the CB and Safety positions)

But we might as well start guessing. It will be worthy of watching at TC and Preseason.

Starting with CB, we got 4 guys who are worthy of starting. But how does this shake out ?

Top 4  CB's (not necessarily in this order) :

Fuller

Darby

Moreland

Moreau

Honorable Mentions, competing for final spots at CB :

Greg Stroman

Danny Johnson

Aaron Colvin

Jeremy Reaves

At Safety, Collins is a lock, to start. Most people assume that Sean Davis is, too. He may very well be. But I don't that's written in stone. We might even sign someone else to compete with SD.

Other Safeties are :

Curl (draft pick)

Everett

Apke

Could our 2 Hybrids be a factor here : Hudson and/or JHC ?

Longshots at DB : Simeon Thomas, Maurice Smith

Isnt Reaves a safety? I liked him when he played....

When I look at this team, this unit is the one that really concerns me. I recently watched some of the All 22 film from the last few games of 2019, with an eye towards the defensive backfield, and quite frankly this group was a comedy of errors. As a unit, they frequently were out of position in zone, were mostly overmatched in man-to-man, and seemed to have absolutely terrible communication. The exception to me was Moreau, who really came into his own once he was placed on the outside, where he looked so much better than he ever did in the slot. And here's what gives me some hope... how much of the defensive backfield's futility was based on coaches who didn't put them in positions to succeed, who played them out of position or away from their strengths, and whose schemes were too dysfunctional to communicate within successfully?

Here's hoping that JDR & his position coaches can maximize the strengths and minimize the weaknesses of this group, and get them playing fast (more man) and communicating well with one another in ways that Manusky's staff never could. If this unit plays as poorly as they did down the stretch last year, they are bad enough to negate anything positive the front 4 are doing. I don't expect that to be the case, but it is a concern. Likewise, the lack of depth is concerning, as if you have Fuller or Moreau (who is injury prone) go down, there is a huge drop-off, with little new talent in the pipeline to fill in. 

Conversely, if Davis can upgrade Nicholson's play (which shouldn't be hard, as he was ALWAYS late breaking and slow arriving to his spot), Fuller, Moreau and Darby stay healthy, and Moreland takes another step forward (and the pass rush is significantly improved)... then JDR might have a chance to get a league average season out of this unit. I also think Norman (especially) and Dunbar (as a team guy and communicator) are addition by subtraction. Glad to have both gone. 

Nonetheless, in my opinion, this is THE glaring weak spot on this team, even above OL and LB, and one I expect the team to pour a lot of resources into in next year's draft/FA period. 

57 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Isnt Reaves a safety? I liked him when he played....

Yea, looks like I was mistaken.

Not sure what made me think he was a corner.

I will correct it, because there's an apparent shortage of bodies on the safety list, lol.

And I watched some more of Sean Davis, and I'm more convinced he could hang on to the starter role.

And it's hard not to like a Safety named Sean (who wore #21 in Pittsburgh). Especially one that was groomed by a Steeler Defense.

AND...he's another local product, born and raised, not merely in DC area, but actually in D.C.

Unless good players fall in the draft, we have to start investing in the secondary and OL. The only guy who I'm comfortable at saying is above average is Landon Collins. That goes completely out the window once he's in coverage too, so this group is kind of troubling. 

Who's going to step up and be our #1 CB? Moreau? I'm hoping he has a huge off-season and balls out but this is potentially one of the worst groups we've had in years. 

BRUCE ALLEN!!

Oh DB...defensive backs...sorry, wrong "DB"

I am not overly thrilled about our situation--it's mostly risk/reward with unproven flashes, save for Fuller. Darby could be great, he could suck. Fabian Moreau and Jimmy Moreland are unproven, but have shown flashes. Like our LBs, we have no idea what to expect. Collins, hopefully, will be better (I saw he was 9th in missed tackles last year). We'll see. I am optimistic it'll be better, but by how much?

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

BRUCE ALLEN!!

Oh DB...defensive backs...sorry, wrong "DB"

I am not overly thrilled about our situation--it's mostly risk/reward with unproven flashes, save for Fuller. Darby could be great, he could suck. Fabian Moreau and Jimmy Moreland are unproven, but have shown flashes. Like our LBs, we have no idea what to expect. Collins, hopefully, will be better (I saw he was 9th in missed tackles last year). We'll see. I am optimistic it'll be better, but by how much?

Yep, most of our hopes are pinned on the idea that last year's defensive staff was so incompetent and miscommunication was so rampant that we will see a huge turnaround just because of a the new brain trust.

So I like Moreland, and agree he has potential...but as a Nickel guy.  Not as a boundary corner.  I obviously hope I'm proven wrong, but in general small corners need elite speed to work outside.  Unfortunately he doesn't.

I don't want to doubt Landon Collins, but Moreland only had 4 passes defensed last season, total.  Zero interceptions.  Saying he thinks Moreland could have had 4 Pick-6's seems over the top.

I love Moreland coming forward against the run, screens, checkdowns, blitzes etc.  I also like Kendall Fuller doing that.  If there's a defensive package where we can use both in between the numbers, I'm all for it.  But right now, Fuller kind of came in and took Moreland's ideal role.  It's possible that Fuller might be used somehow like he was in Kansas City for the playoffs.  Much more of a hybrid Nickel/FS.  If that's the case here, then Moreland can get some time as Fuller is moved around more.

30 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I love Moreland coming forward against the run, screens, checkdowns, blitzes etc.  I also like Kendall Fuller doing that.  If there's a defensive package where we can use both in between the numbers, I'm all for it.  But right now, Fuller kind of came in and took Moreland's ideal role.  It's possible that Fuller might be used somehow like he was in Kansas City for the playoffs.  Much more of a hybrid Nickel/FS.  If that's the case here, then Moreland can get some time as Fuller is moved around more.

Fuller should be our starting outside CB until he proves he can't handle that role.  Think we'd be solid at CB with Fuller at CB1, Moreau at CB2 and Moreland in the slot.

Archived