Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2020 DB thread

On 5/23/2020 at 9:18 PM, max21 said:

Well maybe I’m just crazy then, I just remember watching him and saying “damn that dude is tiny” I didn’t know 5’10” is average height. 

https://www.footballperspective.com/average-height-of-defensive-backs-and-wide-receivers/

According to this the average DB in 2018 is between 71.5" (5'11) and 72" (6'0"). 

5'11 is right there regarding average NFL DB height.  

There has been a recent interest in the longer / taller CBs depending on the scheme and system you use, but I don't think he's completely undersized.  Seattle has long looked for the taller CBs, and they are effective in that scheme and system.  5'11 / 185 is what he is listed as.  He could stand to add a few LBs, but at the end of the day I want him to be able to cover.... not lay the wood.  If he can stay with a WR, or execute a zone coverage assignment, how hard he hits the guy is secondary in the process. 

Marcus Peters - 6' / 195

Darius Slay - 6' / 190

Tre'Davious White - 5'11 / 192

Joe Haden - 5'11 / 195

DJ Hayden - 5'11 / 190

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

https://www.footballperspective.com/average-height-of-defensive-backs-and-wide-receivers/

According to this the average DB in 2018 is between 71.5" (5'11) and 72" (6'0"). 

5'11 is right there regarding average NFL DB height.  

There has been a recent interest in the longer / taller CBs depending on the scheme and system you use, but I don't think he's completely undersized.  Seattle has long looked for the taller CBs, and they are effective in that scheme and system.  5'11 / 185 is what he is listed as.  He could stand to add a few LBs, but at the end of the day I want him to be able to cover.... not lay the wood.  If he can stay with a WR, or execute a zone coverage assignment, how hard he hits the guy is secondary in the process. 

Marcus Peters - 6' / 195

Darius Slay - 6' / 190

Tre'Davious White - 5'11 / 192

Joe Haden - 5'11 / 195

DJ Hayden - 5'11 / 190

Yeah, I watched some highlights on him the other week when I was having this discussion. I reckon he is 5’11 but he’s the smallest 5’11 dude I ever saw. I’m still sticking to my original post saying that he’s small. I’m a fan of his, I just think he will get bullied more often than not.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not so fast, Sean Davis.

Troy Apke Has Impressed His Coaches And Teammates As The Starting Free Safety

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/troy-apke-impresses-teammates-coaches-training-camp

"Apke has slowly improved since he was drafted in the fourth round out of Penn State in 2018. He showed flashes of his ability with a serious uptick of playing time last season, and now he's in the conversation for being the starting free safety in head coach Ron Rivera's new regime."

Did Troy Apke actually play well last year? The whole team sucked, and I just don’t remember noticing him much.  The early consensus was that he was lost out there, and I know that it’s really hard to get past first impressions... is it possible that he’s actually decent, or is Ron just doing the competition / encouragement thing to get the best out of guys?

It was interesting hearing how relatively high Ron is on this DB group so far. He said this group is actually better starting out then a few of the years he had during 2012-19 in Carolina IIRC and he mentioned long term continuity for the group. Moreland has been doing very well and seems to be the starting Nickel with Fuller and Darby on the outside. Stroman has also had a great camp and will most likely make the roster.

It seems his concerns are much more focused on the left side of that o-line and the receivers. He chewed the team out at the end of practice today for losing tempo and he kinda called out Wes Martin, to dig more into his playbook and get some extra work in with Chase Roullier so they are more in sync and now what spots they need to be in, for a given play.

4 hours ago, petey hodge said:

can we get Earl Thomas on the cheap after getting dumped by Baltimore?

Baltimore paid him a ****load of money (frontloaded contract) and is ready to move on from him after 1 year even though he made the Pro Bowl last year and they are in a win now mode. So you know this dude must have ****ed up big time. We are trying to change the culture here, so a hard no from my side.

2 hours ago, Panninho said:

Baltimore paid him a ****load of money (frontloaded contract) and is ready to move on from him after 1 year even though he made the Pro Bowl last year and they are in a win now mode. So you know this dude must have ****ed up big time. We are trying to change the culture here, so a hard no from my side.

Besides, we have Troy Apke! Ok, stop laughing.

6 hours ago, Panninho said:

Poor kid just needs a change of scenery 😛

19 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Poor kid just needs a change of scenery 😛

First Seattle and then Baltimore... I think he'll end up in the also-win-now-or-else Dallas team.

Peter King has a few things to say about Thomas this week; on the good side he has great talent, on the downside: a bucket-load of everything else.

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

Any mention of Moreau? Was really hoping he’d step it up with the departure of Norman and dunbar.

everyone seems to be praising our top four CBs and he's one of them so he must be doing all right

16 hours ago, carex said:

everyone seems to be praising our top four CBs and he's one of them so he must be doing all right

They don't have to be all-pro if the DL does what it was drafted to do.  I'm curious about the LB group.

3 hours ago, Lovi said:

They don't have to be all-pro if the DL does what it was drafted to do.  I'm curious about the LB group.

This!  Don't want to hijack the DB thread talking about linebackers but with the scheme allegedly playing to Darby's strengths and Apke stepping up, our secondary should be okay.  Add to that a strong defensive line and Rivera's recent comments about the overall quality and depth of our secondary that leaves linebacker as the big question mark.  I read that they are rotating guys a lot at linebacker to find the right fight - let's hope some of those guys step up and flash.    

Archived