Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I've read the Titans are really into Jenkins.  I like Tevin Jenkins, he's one of my favorite players in the draft but I'd trade down if someone offers something for him.

Judging by leaks/rumors perception wise in ther leagueis that Eichenberg and Cosmi is a drop off from Jenkins.  

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've read the Titans are really into Jenkins.  I like Tevin Jenkins, he's one of my favorite players in the draft but I'd trade down if someone offers something for him.

Judging by leaks/rumors perception wise in ther leagueis that Eichenberg and Cosmi is a drop off from Jenkins.  

I would hope that we stand pat and pick Jenkins ourselves.  That dude is a mauler in the mold of Jon Jansen - would instantly make Scherff expendable.

TE #2, #3, #4 one of them is what I'd like in this draft.  Briley Moore who I highlighted weeks ago doesn't seem to get a lot of attention by mock draft types in general -- I'd bet will get some attention now with Sims putting him top 5. 

Not sure Moore is top 5 but he's a good athlete and is a well rounded TE including being a good blocker.   

11 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

I would hope that we stand pat and pick Jenkins ourselves.  That dude is a mauler in the mold of Jon Jansen - would instantly make Scherff expendable.

I'd consider it, he's right now my third top desire among what I deem realistic options at 19 after Darrisaw and Koramoah but I love the depth in the late 1st/early 2nd.  So I waver on it if he's at 19. 

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Parsons is a dog and would thrive in our locker room. Imagine him and Young together. That'd be our version of Derrick Brooks and Warren Sapp. A championship foundation for the next decade.

Personality wise to me he comes off like a dog.  Justin Fields at one point laughs about how extroverted Parsons and talks about how he on the other hand is an introvert.  So Parsons definitely comes off brimming with personality like Chase.  But the flip side to that is so does someone like Odell Beckham.  Young channels his energy the right way.  There is some concern that Parsons doesn't.  But I'll leave it for the team to figure that out.

Speaking of personalities, I watched a 30 minute Qb special on Trask.  Wow, if I thought Fields was soft spoken, Trasks takes that to another level.  Watching him, it feels like he needs a hug.  I've seen on the field he can show some fire.  But off the field at least in that interview, soft spoken, low key, low energy.    His mom seemed to have some personality.  And then at one point Peyton Manning joined the session to breath some energy and life into the interview. 

There is a strong likelihood that LB is a target in the first (depending on what happens at QB and OT).   For discussion sake it seems like Parsons, JOK and Collins are the consensus best 3.  If all were available who fits our D the best?  Who would RR prefer personality wise? There seems to be arguments for each and I’ve seen all three mocked to us at 19.  A mock I saw this morning had Parsons sliding past us to 20-something and going after the other two.  

14 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

5. Lack of chatter about us going TE. A case where maybe fans perceive a need greater than FO. Maybe Reyes + some of the guys we’ve got as roster bodies is enough + Thomas. Although I’d say we easily could take a TE if it’s BPA as is likely the case with any position, FWIW. In this case fans see 1 year left for Thomas and think we HAVE to get a TE2 who could become a TE1 in 2022. Not saying we ignore it and don’t draft Freiermuth if he’s there at 51, but if the staff has had extension chats with Thomas and feels good about him as our long term TE1, maybe the idea of drafting a R2 or R3 TE becomes an afterthought especially if they like the other TEs chances of stepping into a solid TE2 role. We did apparently like some of the FA options this year so maybe we still go get a TE but maybe not until R4/5 if there’s someone the staff likes in that range (McKitty?

Most of your takes jive with what I've read/listened to but this one is a mile off on that front.

The TE narrative we got here is almost all driven by the media.  That's what we got me pumping up the idea in FA.  Keim said it 50 million times.  If there is one point he's been consistent on for a long time running its the TE one. 

If I recall it was him or another beat guy who said that they were in on one of the bigger TE in FAs but missed out, they weren't sure though which one.  Keim said there are bunch of TE's they like outside of the first round.  Standig has mentioned TE if I recall, too.

Keim tends to nail these things the best among those who cover the team and I'd say TE is the hottest postion mentioned by him after LB, LT.   Then judging by the rest of his scoops -- you got QB is a maybe.   FS as a maybe with Tre Boston as the backup plan.  RB at some point.  WR -- bigger dude versus smaller.  But TE has been mentioned by him a zillion times and he hasn't backed off on it.

Having said that the rumors I trust the most (not that I trust them 100%) are the ones this week.  The closer we get to the party the more on the money mocks, etc tend to become.  You always get a wild rumor or two that doesn't pan out but things seem to get closer to being on the money the closer the draft comes.

With all the talk about Harris/Etienne and LT, I’ve been thinking more about our run game/oline.  First, some stats:

Aside from his TD total and his 18th rank in yards/game, Gibson was 20th or later in yards, carries, ypc, receptions and receiving yards/game.  On the other hand, he was 7th in broken tackles and 2nd in broken tackles per carry.

Obviously there’s some nuance to the above.  Gibson missed some time, McKissick handled a bulk of the receiving, our qbs were pretty bad, our offense was in a new system, our LG/LT were new and had to develop cohesion (with each other as well as Roullier), and Gibson had a steep learning curve (compared with other Rbs).

There’s nuance to the pass blocking as well - multiple qbs, different qb styles (scrambling vs staying in the pocket and dump-offs vs downfield passing), the left side cohesion and new offense.

Given the above, particularly the broken tackles, and factoring in that only 1 team had more sacks against than the WFT (yes, there’s context involved, but that is pretty abysmal), it’s pretty clear we need oline help.  Gibson needs the help, and Fitz will as well... and we need a suitable backup for Gibson - if we lose the engine of our O, we’re pretty well screwed.  

Nothing new here, but looking at the stats opened my eyes a bit.  I’d be curious to see if things improved as the season went on.

25 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’d say the strong favourite right now is that we jump into the top 10 for a QB.

I hope the 49ers take Jones. That move has blown the QB market wide open for a team like us.

I am curious to see if that rumor heats up in the next few days or cools down.  At this equivalent time right before FA, Keim nailed every WR target they would poke around on once FA started.    Not that I trust him or anyone else fully but leaks tend to be more on the money close to the end.  I can recall Keim name dropping Gibson right before the end.  I recall it was Haskins, Haskins, Haskins the days leading up to that draft.  I recall Cooley saying he hears their dream sceanrio was to come out with both Payne and Guice in the same draft back in that day.

Juding by changing rumors.  Trading up for QB is heating up, i agree.  But to my thinking its still not hot enough for me to fully buy its going down.  I'd need to see it heat up more to be convinced its going down.   The Parsons mentions have heated up a little so I want to see where that goes in the next few days. 

13 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

There is a strong likelihood that LB is a target in the first (depending on what happens at QB and OT).   For discussion sake it seems like Parsons, JOK and Collins are the consensus best 3.  If all were available who fits our D the best?  Who would RR prefer personality wise? There seems to be arguments for each and I’ve seen all three mocked to us at 19.  A mock I saw this morning had Parsons sliding past us to 20-something and going after the other two.  

Good question.  I’m worried that JOK is not a good fit since he is a smaller hybrid type in the mold of Hudson.

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am curious to see if that rumor heats up in the next few days or cools down.  At this equivalent time right before FA, Keim nailed every WR target they would poke around on once FA started.    Not that I trust him or anyone else fully but leaks tend to be more on the money close to the end.  I can recall Keim name dropping Gibson right before the end.  I recall it was Haskins, Haskins, Haskins the days leading up to that draft.  I recall Cooley saying he hears their dream sceanrio was to come out with both Payne and Guice in the same draft back in that day.

Juding by changing rumors.  Trading up for QB is heating up, i agree.  But to my thinking its still not hot enough for me to fully buy its going down.  I'd need to see it heat up more to be convinced its going down.   The Parsons mentions have heated up a little so I want to see where that goes in the next few days. 

Problem with that is we have a new FO. They’re intending to keep their cards close to them.

39 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’d say the strong favourite right now is that we jump into the top 10 for a QB.

I hope the 49ers take Jones. That move has blown the QB market wide open for a team like us.

Yep, agreed. And seems likely that ATL-CIN-MIA go Pitts/Sewell/Chase which would push Lance and Fields to 7. If we like both similarly I’d say let Pick 7 play out. See if someone trades in or if Detroit stays and takes Parsons Slater or Waddle. Then see if someone trades up to 8 or if Carolina takes someone at 8. It would be risky because if someone trades to 8 it could open Denver to QB. But if they pass a slide could happen with both falling. Only a matter of time until Chicago gets in the mix and with the NFC East picking 10-12 we risk getting leapfrogged. 

The safe bet is trying to get to 7. If it’s too pricey try again at 8. If too pricey then see if the slide happens and you can somehow get to Denver. Worst case is the price is too high and you trade back from 19. Best case may be that one of the QBs slide to 13 or 14, and you move up without giving up future year draft capital. 

my sense is given that we’ve kicked tires on moving to 7/8/9 that we know the price and what we can or can’t get up if a player is there that we want 

The 2021 NFL draft class's best at everything: Biggest arm, top route runner, best cover corner and more

Apr 23, 2021
  • bowen_matt.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Matt BowenESPN Staff Write

QB with the best physical traits/tools: Justin Fields, Ohio State

I recently compared Fields to Los Angeles Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert, given the high-end physical tools and traits I see on the tape. That's the arm talent, movement skill and the physical element he brings to the position, both inside and outside of the pocket. And in a schemed NFL pass game, Fields can maximize those traits while also being utilized as a runner with his dual-threat ability.

333.png&h=110&w=110

Most accurate QB: Mac Jones, Alabama

While Jones might lack upper-tier traits at the position in terms of moving outside the pocket and arm strength, the Alabama quarterback completed 77.4% of his passes last season on an undefeated national championship team. And the tape tells us that Jones can throw with consistent ball location and accuracy, which translates to a timing/rhythm pass game in the NFL. He was off target on just 5.9% of his passes in 2020.

2449.png&h=110&w=110

Best decision-making QB: Trey Lance, North Dakota State

During North Dakota State's FCS national championship season in 2019, Lance threw 28 touchdowns with zero interceptions. That speaks to his decision-making process skill and the way he diagnoses coverages. While I do believe Lance will have to cut it loose more often as a pro quarterback, he's an easy fit for today's play-action-based NFL offenses that cater to his ability to find open windows and the added element he brings to the position on designed rushes. His 6.8 yards per designed rush in 2019 would have ranked fifth among FBS quarterbacks that year.

24.png&h=110&w=110

Most anticipatory QB: Davis Mills, Stanford

I see Mills as a Day 2 pick with developmental upside, given his high-end arm talent and footwork inside the pocket. A former five-star recruit, Mills can deliver the ball with anticipation on second- and third-level throws, which is a critical factor to producing in an NFL scheme.

Most sudden WR: Kadarius Toney, Florida

The sudden lateral quickness of Toney jumps on the tape. Watch him run an option route or expose a one-on-one matchup in space. He has the start/stop speed to shake coverage and then the catch-and-run elusiveness to slice up defenses in the open field. He forced 21 missed tackles on receptions in 2020, in the top 10 in college football.

145.png&h=110&w=110

Best slot WR: Elijah Moore, Ole Miss

Moore, who caught 11 passes for 143 yards against Alabama last season, displays both the vertical speed and the lateral quicks to separate in the slot. And with his competitiveness and toughness at the catch point, Moore can be a volume target in the pros. His 86 catches in 2020 trailed only DeVonta Smith's 117.

130.png&h=110&w=110

Best red zone WR: Nico Collins, Michigan

I'm projecting here with Collins as a red zone target in the pro game -- he didn't play in 2020 and had uneven quarterback play in 2019 -- because of his long 6-foot-4 frame. An offensive coordinator will be able to create isolation matchups with Collins as a backside X or in a slot alignment to utilize his catch radius on contested throws. Look for a team to throw him fades and slants and even scheme him up on seam balls to attack the end zone.

2509.png&h=110&w=110

Most dynamic WR: Rondale Moore, Purdue

With the skill set to be utilized as a motion/movement target and the ball-carrier vision to pick up yards in the open field, Moore can create impact plays. Whether being targeted from the slot or seeing touches on fly sweeps, screens and reverses, he has tons of the dynamic ability to get loose in space. He missed time in 2019 and suited up for only three games in 2020, but he had 1,471 yards from scrimmage in 2018.

2.png&h=110&w=110

Fastest deep-ball WR: Anthony Schwartz, Auburn

Schwartz is a blazer with the speed to challenge the top of the secondary. And given the amount of schemed "shot plays" we see in the league, off play-action and max protection, Schwartz fits as a vertical target on deep go balls and over routes. He ran a 4.26 in the 40-yard dash at his pro day, and he was a track star in high school.

135.png&h=110&w=110

Most versatile WR: Rashod Bateman, Minnesota

Bateman can align as the boundary X receiver or bump inside to create matchups from the slot. In a way very similar to how Allen Robinson II and Michael Thomas are utilized in the league, Bateman can be targeted on isolation throws or schemed up inside the numbers as a middle-of-the-field option. From 2019 to 2020, his slot snaps jumped from 23% to 75%.

Best playmaking LB: Jamin Davis, Kentucky

Davis started for just one season in college, but when we look at his athletic traits and the splash plays he put on tape, the arrow is pointing up for the Kentucky linebacker. With his long frame and great closing speed, Davis has playmaking upside in coverage and as a schemed blitzer. In 2020, Davis compiled 96 tackles, three interceptions, a sack, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. And he took one of his interceptions 85 yards to the house (against Tennessee).

142.png&h=110&w=110

Best LB run-defender: Nick Bolton, Missouri

At the linebacker position, I look for prospects who can key and diagnose -- with speed -- against the run game. They have to get a jump on the play, and you see that consistently with Bolton. He's a downhill, physical defender who will strike on contact. And he has the short-area acceleration to close the distance to ball carriers. Over his past two seasons, Bolton had 202 tackles, and his 37 run stops -- tackles against the run at or behind the line of scrimmage -- tied for the fourth most in the country in that time.

87.png&h=110&w=110

Most versatile LB: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Notre Dame

With multidimensional traits at the position, Owusu-Koramoah could play a "monsterback" role in the NFL -- a hybrid safety/linebacker who can create defensive matchups. He brings downhill juice with his game, along with coverage ability as a match/zone defender, and you can scheme Owusu-Koramoah as a rusher on pressure stunts. There's a lot of upside here in sub-packages.

202.png&h=110&w=110

Most disruptive LB: Zaven Collins, Tulsa

At 6-foot-5 and 260 pounds, Collins is a fluid, smooth mover with range and disruptive ability. This past season, Collins recorded four interceptions (two returned for touchdowns) and four sacks. No other player in the FBS had at least four of each. His long frame can close middle-of-the-field passing windows, and he can be utilized as an edge or interior rusher. And that's all in addition to what he brings to the box against the run.

Best ball-hawking DB: Andre Cisco, S, Syracuse

Cisco racked up 13 interceptions at Syracuse. He has easy range and can track the ball vertically. I see him as a great fit for both single-high and split-safety systems, as Cisco can patrol the middle of the field or overlap the throw from the deep half.

2116.png&h=110&w=110

Best run-defending DB: Richie Grant, S, UCF

Grant plays bigger than his 5-foot-11, 197-pound frame as a run-defender. You can see the physical element he brings to the box or when asked to fill the alley. I really like the tape here on a prospect who can also play top-down on the ball in split-field coverage. He had 72 tackles in 2020.

2628.png&h=110&w=110

Best coverage safety: Trevon Moehrig, TCU

Moehrig can match verticals and in-breakers from a Quarters alignment, but he also has the skill set to cover down over the slot. And expect on-the-ball production from him. And with so much safety movement and disguise in today's NFL, Moehrig can rotate late to cover in pressure schemes. Only three defenders with at least 500 coverage snaps over the past two seasons broke up a higher percentage of their plays as the primary defender than Moehrig (25%)

https://insider.espn.com/espn/print?id=31303671

14 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Problem with that is we have a new FO. They’re intending to keep their cards close to them.

Maybe so but those efforts didn't work for FA.   So why would it change now?  Keim had a chunk of it down before FA.    Heck they can't know what they are going to do considering it depends on what others do.  But when Keim suggests he knows they like player X I trust it.  When he says he knows they want to address position X, I trust it.   He's super conservative when it comes to sharing gossip.  Cooley joked that Keim needs to get 7 sources before he trusts sharing anything because he's obsessed with not being wrong. 

As for what they end up doing -- that's impossible to know since they themselves can't fill out the chess board in advance of the action.  Moves have to be played out in front of them. 

Not that Keim is some magician on that front.  General stuff tends to get leaked about most teams.  Rarely anything crazy specific but a general idea of players they may like. 

I don't follow other teams super closely but if I pay a little attention like I do with Miami considering where I live, I have somewhat of an idea of what they are likely thinking.  It's hard to cover all of that up no matter how guarded you are because agents talk and its not hard to find out what teams have poked around more than a normal amount of time with certain players.  

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe so but those efforts didn't work for FA.   So why would it change now?  Keim had a chunk of it down before FA.    Heck they can't know what they are going to do considering it depends on what others do.  But when Keim suggests he knows they like player X I trust it.  When he says he knows they want to address position X, I trust it.   He's super conservative when it comes to sharing gossip.  Cooley joked that Keim needs to get 7 sources before he trusts sharing anything because he's obsessed with not being wrong. 

As for what they end up doing -- that's impossible to know since they themselves can't fill out the chess board in advance of the action.  Moves have to be played out in front of them. 

Not that Keim is some magician on that front.  General stuff tends to get leaked about most teams.  Rarely anything crazy specific but a general idea of players they may like. 

I don't follow other teams super closely but if I pay a little attention like I do with Miami considering where I live, I have somewhat of an idea of what they are likely thinking.  It's hard to cover all of that up no matter how guarded you are because agents talk and its not hard to find out what teams have poked around more than a normal amount of time with certain players.  

Tell me who predicted they would sign William Jackson then

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With the mentions of Parsons heating up, has there been any confirmation of WTF meeting, talking to or discussing him?  Or are mentions just from those of us that want to believe they want him

Its possible that there is a sort of a mexican standoff scenaro brewing with the teams that want to trade up for QB.  Nobody wants to trade first because then their competitors can trade ahead of them.  Nobody knows exactly who will even be available and when.  It might be a good strategy for the WFT to trade up to the top ten in advance to get a better deal.   Its risky but they can wait to see how QB shakes out. If a qb they like is there then they take him, if not they get Parsons or someone else they like.  Still a lot of great players to choose from.  

23 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Tell me who predicted they would sign William Jackson then

Tell me where I said he'd predict everything they'd do? 

I said I trust what he says -- not that he'd cover every player target.  As for CB, he said they want to resign Darby (they did try to resign him) and when they didn't, he said another target at CB is coming in FA to replace him.

Heck even on the notion that they want a TE, he's not currently saying which player. But when he actually name drops a player, they often indeed like said player.  If you don't agree, cool, I don't care.   I am just sharing that among the beat guys who cover the team Keim has been the most right over the years when it comes to FA/draft.

As for a reporter who will predict every move/every player -- no such dude exists.  Not even Schefter.  It's obviously impossible to predict draft permutations unless you are at the top of the draft.  So for example a zillion rumors that the Jets will take Zach Wilson.  Do I believe it?  Yep.  Too much noise pointed in one direction and the Jets can control their own destiny on that assuming Jax takes Lawrence. 

40 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

With the mentions of Parsons heating up, has there been any confirmation of WTF meeting, talking to or discussing him?  Or are mentions just from those of us that want to believe they want him

Speaking for myself, who I want them to take or not take has nothing to do with what I repeat.  You would be hard pressed to find someone here who is more down on Kyle Trask than me yet you would also be hard pressed to find someone who has repeated that they have potential interest in Trask more than me.

I personally don't have any vested interested in believing or not believing they want Parsons.  I got mixed feelings on him.  I am agnostic on Parsons.

As for Parsons, Keim has name dropped him a couple times lately.   He didn't say they are interested in him but he threw him in an article and mentioned him in a TV podcast I watched this morning.    Like I said Keim name dropped Antonio Gibson right before the draft last year.  He was quiet on Fitzpatrick and all of a sudden threw him in an article before FA started.  If Keim mentions Parsons one more time, I'll think there is a reason for it.    Keim did say there is a LB they'd be willing to trade up for without saying who the guy is.  Judging by mocks at least the only LB you might have to trade up for is Parsons.  Collins/J. Davis are usually in the back half of the first.    Granted mocks could be wrong.

But I'll stick to my point that the rumors I read this week especially from Keim I'll take the most seriously.  

Speaking of Parsons I found this below, interesting.    I don't know what to make about his personality/character.  I do like the player.  It's his character that makes me pause.

I don't know about his character but from what I gather Parsons is just super extroverted and a larger than life personality. He has that passion and love for the game that Rivera is always talking about. That kind of energy can feed a team and when you have multiple guys with that same kind of energy, it creates a force multiplier effect that can propel a team. See Ray Lewis and Ed Reed together in Baltimore. And Parsons has the talent to back it up. He probably needs to be coached up some in man coverage if that's where we're taking our D, but his run defense and blitzing ability are already good enough for the NFL.

My thing on Parsons is if his character concerns are not really “there” then he’s gone in the Top 10. If he falls to 19 then I’d say there’s some validity to those concerns, and Rivera doesn’t seem like the kind of guy to take that on. 

If what you say @Warhead36 has truth to it, I don’t see that being a character problem and he will probably go 7/8/9 or no later than 11 to NYG. 

Archived