Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update - 3/11/21 - America Rescue Plan Bill is signed!

goskins10

Just now, Cooked Crack said:

So help out more folks or be bipartisan. Doesn't seem like a hard choice. Susan Collins and pals can kick rocks.

It seems the republicans idea of bipartisanship is do it their way or no way. So yea, they can pound sand. Put the broader package through and let them try to explain to the american people why helping them is a bad idea. Will be upset if he caves on this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

It seems the republicans idea of bipartisanship is do it their way or no way. So yea, they can pound sand. Put the broader package through and let them try to explain to the american people why helping them is a bad idea. Will be upset if he caves on this. 

We’ve all seen this show before and I’ll be shocked if this result is any different.  We know he’s going to take the bipartisan package, that will get further watered down before it passes and then will be a dud only for the lack of help to be turned on Dems in 2022

• Sad 2

**** bipartisanship. 

Were the Republicans looking for bipartisanship when the put ACB on on SC?

How about when the put Judge Kegstand on the bench?

Were they bipartisan when they cut taxes by $1.5 trillion for the top 5%?

Why on Earth would you ever work with people that talk mad ****, lie, and threaten you once they return to their districts? Hell some don't wait until they return home they just constantly attack. See MTG.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, clietas said:

**** bipartisanship. 

Were the Republicans looking for bipartisanship when the put ACB on on SC?

How about when the put Judge Kegstand on the bench?

Were they bipartisan when they cut taxes by $1.5 trillion for the top 5%?

Why on Earth would you ever work with people that talk mad ****, lie, and threaten you once they return to their districts? Hell some don't wait until they return home they just constantly attack. See MTG.

Totally agree.  **** that ****.  Let's get everything we need NOW, let the Rs try to take it away later and see how that goes. 

And seeing Joe and Jill pull their masks down to kiss was the cutest thing ever...reminded me of Barack and Michelle. 

• Like 3

All the Rep are trying to do is create delay. They have no intentions of compromising. If they can make each bill take as long as possible it’ll reduce the number of things that can be done. Block when you can, stall when you can’t is their strategy. Ignore it and fight for your agenda.  

• Like 3

Looks like Dems are pushing the votes this week. However, the Senate is still saying late March or early April for checks. I think that is a mistake. Take care of this stimulus first then hold the impeachment hearings. Sends a bad message right out of the gate. 

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/next-stimulus-check-bidens-1-162200532.html

• Thanks 1

First of all, I have no idea why people's checks got delayed.  I filed electronically in July, actually I think I was late (by a day?) and paid the late fee.  efiled and within the week of when the bill was approved, I got the direct deposit.

Second, let me get this straight.  Most Dems want a $1.8T package. Most GOP wants a $0 package (40 Senators)... 10 GOP Senators want a $600B package. 

The GOP argument I heard was "we juuuuuust passed COVID relief, let's see how that works out."  Even though the 2nd package was not done in June, July or August.  It was passed late for an ongoing pandemic.  

Ok GOP... "Americans don't need help".... 

• Like 3

If Biden wants to host these 10 Republicans to make their case. Fine. I'd be ready with a well produced video highlighting all the pain, suffering, joblessness, death over the past year focused on the states of those 10 Republicans. Then offer them to be on the right side of history. With their votes, anything can pass.

If they say no or try to delay. Release the video you showed them to the country and go for budget reconciliation. Don't wait.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One strategy Dems could employ is to use the GOP package as a basis for a quick compromise bill.  Then use reconciliation to pass another major pandemic plus agenda bill mid summer or so. 

It gives the WH a quick relief bill, victory on bipartisanship, save your spending reconciliation for this year (you get one spending reconciliation per year, so Biden will only have two before 2022), and you can always use "we were willing to compromise when GOP was willing to negotiate".

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bearrock said:

One strategy Dems could employ is to use the GOP package as a basis for a quick compromise bill.  Then use reconciliation to pass another major pandemic plus agenda bill mid summer or so. 

It gives the WH a quick relief bill, victory on bipartisanship, save your spending reconciliation for this year (you get one spending reconciliation per year, so Biden will only have two before 2022), and you can always use "we were willing to compromise when GOP was willing to negotiate".

I thought they could do 3 reconciliation bills per year. 

ok they can pass one each on spending, revenue, and the debt limit.  So while technically 3 it’s one for what we are talking about. 

Edited by HOF44

I would be really interested in why the GOP 10 Senator income cutoffs are $40k/$80k family instead of the $75k/$150k under Trump.  In fact it would be twice that they voted for higher income cutoffs and now there seems like no reason to back away from those thresholds.  

The cynic in me says since there's no longer a Presidential election in play, they cared more about helping their boy Trump win the election, hence being more generous to the American people.  Wait, that's not just the cynic in me anymore. Doesn't it seem tone def?  The GOP thinks America will be okay....

Welp, the GOP used reconciliation to attempt to roll-back health care and successfully used it to push out tax breaks for the wealthy... I really don't know how going this route should harm the Dems.  

• Like 1

Inviting the 10 GOP Senators to discuss/negotiate the bill is a smart move even if the GOP is doing this in bad faith. The Dems have the numbers to get this passed without needing to compromise on the core tenants of the bill.  I can see this becoming the ACA all over again where the GOP is just pretending they want to be included in the process, but to them the process is basically cutting the bill off at the knees to make it's effectiveness a fraction of what it should be if the bill is left as is.   There seems to be a general sentiment among a lot of the GOP that we've already thrown enough or too much money at covid related relief which is an absolute joke.   

This bill is something the Dems simply can't mess around with.   They promised something, have the numbers to make it happen, those checks and UI insurance amounts are going to go to Biden and non-Biden voters across the board.  They will remember how this plays out either way.  There is nothing controversial in this bill when it comes to the covid relief related items, except if you are an elected GOP official, in which they find it all controversial, but the American people themselves do not by a wide margin.   Letting the GOP neuter this bill would be a big first step towards a disastrous  2022 mid-term for the Dems.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Inviting the 10 GOP Senators to discuss/negotiate the bill is a smart move even if the GOP is doing this in bad faith. The Dems have the numbers to get this passed without needing to compromise on the core tenants of the bill.  I can see this becoming the ACA all over again where the GOP is just pretending they want to be included in the process, but to them the process is basically cutting the bill off at the knees to make it's effectiveness a fraction of what it should be if the bill is left as is.   There seems to be a general sentiment among a lot of the GOP that we've already thrown enough or too much money at covid related relief which is an absolute joke.   

The difference is that they had to have republican support to get any kind of ACA passed. They don't have to have republican help now. So he can listen and if they want to continue to play asshole he can jsut say to hell with it, we are moving forward - which is exactly what I hope he does. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

The difference is that they had to have republican support to get any kind of ACA passed. They don't have to have republican help now. So he can listen and if they want to continue to play asshole he can jsut say to hell with it, we are moving forward - which is exactly what I hope he does. 

Agreed. Their plan is going nowhere, but giving them the chance to talk to him right now is fine. Again, don't let them drag it out.

• Like 3

@Corcaigh

You can't tell from 2019 year tax returns (filed in 2020) who has lost income.  So yes, the widespread benefit may give money to people who haven't lost much income.  But no one knows for certain.  Certainly there could be people with $75k/$150k (individual / joint) who didn't lose money.  

Is that a problem?  The GOP never question giving money via tax cuts to the upper, upper class.  In fact its orthdoxy that these people are the "job creators". So why not be over generous?

• Thanks 1