Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins to lay new turf before 2020 Season

MarkB452

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/redskins-to-lay-new-grass-turf-at-fedex-field-before-2020-nfl-season/ar-BBZrV3A?ocid=spartandhp

There have been a lot of talks about a new stadium being built for the Washington Redskins sometime in the near future, but it appears that a new playing field will be set before anything else happens.

The quality of the playing field in Washington has been up for debate for years among fans, and a string of concerts at the stadium this summer could leave conditions a bit worse for the wear when the NFL season rolls around. Luckily, it appears that the Redskins will be laying down a new turf before the season begins, according to NBC Sports Washington. 

>>  I saw this at the end and thought it was interesting.  As a STH, I would not mind if there were 0 preseason games at home.

The question still remains how the team will navigate their preseason schedule throughout all of this activity, much of which will take place in August. If the turf isn’t ready for preseason play due to the concert series, the team needs to take the right precautions and do something about it.

...knowing Snyder, he will move the preseason games to RFK, relabel them as "Retro", and charge regular season prices.  

With the endzone seats removed, I think RFK seats around 40,000 which is probably in line with the number of STHs.

Anyone know if this will be natural grass or artificial turf? The field has been as big an embarrassment as the team forever. I might be in the minority here, but I wouldn't mind an artificial turf field. I'm tired of the field conditions sucking in December and in weather. And we have a number one speed receiver and a speed RB in Bryce Love and speed DE's, after we draft Chase. Give them an ideal surface to work with. 

44 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Anyone know if this will be natural grass or artificial turf? The field has been as big an embarrassment as the team forever. I might be in the minority here, but I wouldn't mind an artificial turf field. I'm tired of the field conditions sucking in December and in weather. And we have a number one speed receiver and a speed RB in Bryce Love and speed DE's, after we draft Chase. Give them an ideal surface to work with. 

I used to love our team playing on real grass, but it's simply not feasible in this climate during fall/winter. I think it's time to transition to an artificial solution. 

Yeah, it seems that the issues with the field have subsided after the 2012 season.  Grass is what the NFL was and I would prefer they keep that.  However, it may make sense to embrace technology and progress by switching to field turf.  Don't they say it's better medically for the players also?

I was a traditionalist for a long time when it came to the field surface.  I was always a natural grass guy. But I'm over that, I support going to an artificial surface.  Artificial surfaces have come a long way. I'm tired of looking at torn up grass fields, mismatched sod patches, and brown grass in December.

They have resurfaced the field a few times, I know in 2013 they did, and I think after 2015 as well.

I think they're doing it this time around because of the heavy slate of concerts/offseason events they have scheduled this year, probably to make up for the loss of revenue from people not showing up to games and buying merch.

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I thought they laid new turf every year and te-sodded halfway through the season already.  And had been doing that for ages.  

They need to hire the head groundskeeper from Lambeau. They manage to grow/maintain real grass there when it’s 20. Below. 

GB is actually some weird combination of turf/real grass, saw it on some behind the scenes special. 

They lay new turf down twice every year why is this news? Field was in great shape all year

On 1/30/2020 at 7:46 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Go buy it.

Do you all not remember all the injuries both teams had during the game at Lambeau from how crazy slick that field was? 🤨

On 1/30/2020 at 2:53 PM, boston skins fan said:

my high school field went turf for my senior year and i could barely tell the difference.  Just fo field turf and call it a day

IIRC there were studies in the past showing a higher number of injuries (ankle, ACL) on artificial turf than on grass. However, from what I've read as artificial turn manufacturers have improved their designs over the years those have basically evened out so there apparently isn't much difference nowadays. 

Now that also depends on how well the grass fields are kept up and IMO that's been one of the biggest downfalls of the Skins and their field. From what I've read the upkeep is substandard compared to other NFL fields that use natural grass and that the drainage, etc isn't as good. So to be honest, I'd prefer to go with Field Turf as the upkeep isn't as hard so we wouldn't have to hang our hats on Dan being willing to shell out the money for the proper upkeep of a grass field. 

Archived