Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Were they the first all-female rock act to write their own music and play their own instruments....or were they the first all-female rock act to have a #1 album on which they wrote all their own songs and played all the instruments?

Cruel Summer is a kind of anthem.  Trust me. 

Back in '86, I was in the Navy with a co-worker whose brother dated Belinda's twin sister.  I was told they were fabulous people. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Its “semantics Saturday”!

Hardly semantics. If it's the latter, then the album deserves recognition, not the band. Because if there were other all-female rock acts that came before the Go-Gos who played all their own instruments and wrote all their own songs--they just didn't have a #1 album (or MTV to easily promote themselves), then I still wouldn't see why the Go-Gos are HOF worthy. Ane being nice makes no difference, or at least it shouldn't.

6 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Cruel Summer is a kind of anthem.  Trust me. 

Back in '86, I was in the Navy with a co-worker whose brother dated Belinda's twin sister.  I was told they were fabulous people. 

No offense, but none of that makes a case for them to be in the HOF.

Edited by Califan007

16 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

But if I had to pick, I'd go with The Runaways too.  :)

They're in the HOF, right?...I'd go with them, too. (EDIT: apparently they're not in the RR HOF yet)

Also, there's some band called Fanny, an all-female rock band that released it's first album in 1970, and their 2nd album they played all the instruments and wrote all the songs--except for one song which was a cover. This was like 10 years before the Go-Gos (never heard of them until now lol). Apparently a lot of all-female rock acts claimed Fanny inspired them in their pursuit of music--including the Go-Gos. There's been an online effort to get them into the HOF for years now--I found all of this while trying to find out which all-female rock act was the first to write all their own songs, play all their own instruments, etc, etc. I figured it would have been the Runaways but Fanny (and several other all-female bands) looks like they came even earlier.

9 minutes ago, clietas said:

That's Bananarama not the Go Gos. 🤓

I thought maybe the Go-Gos also had a song called Cruel Summer lol...(I don't know much at all about them).

Edited by Califan007
  • Haha 1

I'd love to see the R&R HoF. Hopefully one day I'll make it just so I can see the flying hot dog. 🤓

2694367380_df367be33c_b.jpg

Got to see some cool memorabilia at the Hard Rock in Atlantic City. Cash' revolver, Iommi vest, Rod Wood cape, MJ glove, Hot Rods gold mic, Hendrix guitar, Elvis' jumpsuit PJs n Rolls Royce. Butt the coolest thing imo........

20210911_195241.jpg

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, clietas said:

Even tho that Strats not a hardtail it's a yes from me. I'm partial tho as I own three n theys my favorite model o guitars. Iconic they are. 🤘

Its a super weirdo Strat tho.

90s Antigua body with a 70s fat boy neck and half ass humbucker rout.

And yet….

• Thumb up 1

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/03/us/california-oil-spill/index.html

This makes me so incredibly sad.  I go to Huntington Beach all the time with my dog, they have an amazing dog beach.  There is also many lagoons and estuaries down there which have undoubtedly been affected.

Oil is a disgusting thing.  I realized we need it as a society to power our stupid vehicles, but I really hope one day we can move on from fossil fuels.  It destroys our planet in so many ways.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2