Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

16 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

they were in a nursing home. It doesn’t say they died from Covid. Covid was probably a contributing factors. I personally take the article as good news; even if you can get infected with Covid after getting the vaccine, it appears that most of the cases stay minor.

When it first started it was wiping out nursing homes....

Ture to me it implies they died of COVID, but that isnt spelled out. I think it is great news, just only slight concern. Because the all the vaccine's promoted an 100% no serve or death with the vaccine. 

1 hour ago, just654 said:

Is this the first recorded death of a vaccinated person from COVID? That line causes me the most for concern. The idea of the vaccines is that you might still get it but you wont be in the hospital or die. I know it is just 1 but does give slight concern.   

Well, there are always people somewhere for whom a vaccine (or exposure, for that matter) dies not grant immunity  

But this does seen a lot more scary than that.  

22 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

they were in a nursing home. It doesn’t say they died from Covid. Covid was probably a contributing factors. I personally take the article as good news; even if you can get infected with Covid after getting the vaccine, it appears that most of the cases stay minor.

When it first started it was wiping out nursing homes....

the thought does occur to me that a vaccine doesn't guarantee that the virus will never enter your system again.  It only (almost) guarantees that it won't overwhelm your defenses.  

I wonder if this is routine.  If, say, Mumps vaccine doesn't guarantee that, if you test yourself for mumps one a week for life, you will never test positive.  It just means you will never develop the disease.  

(I also really wish I knew whether all those people got it from the one un-exposed employee, or did they spread it to each other?)  

India posts world record COVID cases with oxygen running out

India recorded the world’s highest daily tally of 314,835 COVID-19 infections on Thursday as a second wave of the pandemic raised new fears about the ability of crumbling health services to cope.

Health officials across northern and western India, including the capital, New Delhi, said they were in crisis, with most hospitals full and running out of oxygen.

Some doctors advised patients to stay at home, while a crematorium in the eastern city of Muzaffarpur said it was being overwhelmed with bodies, and grieving families had to wait their turn. A crematorium east of Delhi built funeral pyres in its parking lot.

"Right now there are no beds, no oxygen. Everything else is secondary," said Shahid Jameel, a virologist and director of the Trivedi School of Biosciences at Ashoka University.

"The infrastructure is crumbling."

Click on the link for the full article

The post has an article today saying reinvention is possible, just very rare. They said it appeared to happen in just 0.4 percent of cases. This got me wondering. 0.4 percent is really small. I wonder what the rate of falsr positives and negatives are. I would think the number could be half or double that, and the results could be the same.

Something popped up in my youTube suggestions.  It's at least news to me:  

Summary:  Study in NEJM used the "NBA BUBBLE" as a test tube.  As part of the NBA's reopening, everybody, on every team, got tested.  And then they all quarantined together.  For the whole season.  All year long, they were exposed to each other, and nobody else.  

Around 3 dozen people (around 1 in 1,000) contacted the virus, recovered.  But then occasionally tested positive, after recovering.  

And what they found was, those 3 dozen people who were occasionally testing positive, did not infect a single other person they were quarantined with.  

Obviously, limited sample size, sample not representative of the population at large, your mileage may vary, yada yada yada.  

But to me it at least kinds sorta implies maybe that those people who are in the "have 'immunity', but test positive later" group, might not only be asymptomatic, but might not spread the virus, either.  

26 minutes ago, Larry said:

Something popped up in my youTube suggestions.  It's at least news to me:  

Summary:  Study in NEJM used the "NBA BUBBLE" as a test tube.  As part of the NBA's reopening, everybody, on every team, got tested.  And then they all quarantined together.  For the whole season.  All year long, they were exposed to each other, and nobody else.  

Around 3 dozen people (around 1 in 1,000) contacted the virus, recovered.  But then occasionally tested positive, after recovering.  

And what they found was, those 3 dozen people who were occasionally testing positive, did not infect a single other person they were quarantined with.  

Obviously, limited sample size, sample not representative of the population at large, your mileage may vary, yada yada yada.  

But to me it at least kinds sorta implies maybe that those people who are in the "have 'immunity', but test positive later" group, might not only be asymptomatic, but might not spread the virus, either.  

I suspect you are misreading this.  I can't find/see the underlying paper, but I suspect this is, you tested positive, waited 14 days, but are still test positive.  Not, that you had it, it want away (you tested negative), and then got it again and nobody seems to get it from you.

This isn't an indication that you can't get it it again and spread it.  This is an indication that our testing method (RT-PCR) is really testing for (parts of) the RNA, which can say in your body/system longer than actual virus.  So you don't have any actual intact virus that is capable of carrying out an infection, but you still have parts of the RNA that we can detect.  You aren't infectious, but you give a positive test.

3 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

I suspect you are misreading this.  I can't find/see the underlying paper, but I suspect this is, you tested positive, waited 14 days, but are still test positive.  Not, that you had it, it want away (you tested negative), and then got it again and nobody seems to get it from you.

Yeah, I would have preferred to see the actual paper.  Or at least more printed information.  

But they made references to "people who had a few positive tests mixed in", or something similar to that.  

No, I agree.  They were not referring to people who were negative for months, and then months later got a second infection.  

9 hours ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Today is the one year anniversary of the Trump "Sunlight into the Body" ramble.

Did you drank your bleach today? 

Virus Fighting Far UVC Light Manufacturers Unite To Celebrate Anniversary of Trump's Infamous "Very Powerful Light" Remark With Annual 4-23 Global Sales Event

Quanta X Technology, the Florida-based pandemic start-up that upgraded the UVGI acronym to include Active Personnel AP-UVGI, kept terminology up-to-date with the lightning speed pace of Far-UVC innovation the pandemic has spawned has organized a multi-national sale-day event immortalizing the anniversary date of Trump's Infamous "Very Powerful Light" statement with an annual 4-23 sales event celebrated by companies from the USA to China dedicated to manufacturing virus-fighting band-pass filtered KrCl 222nm Far-UVC light.

11 hours ago, visionary said:

Scum

Seems like the GOPs playbook these days is just pulling on as much low hanging fruit for low info constituents as possible. If he really cared about the answer to his question, he could ask any expert (or anyone paying attention for the last year) and they'd be able to answer that pretty easily. But he doesn't care about the answer. Just stirring people up

21 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

Seems like the GOPs playbook these days is just pulling on as much low hanging fruit for low info constituents as possible. If he really cared about the answer to his question, he could ask any expert (or anyone paying attention for the last year) and they'd be able to answer that pretty easily. But he doesn't care about the answer. Just stirring people up

Fighting any and all efforts to even slow down the virus has been their team's position, across the board, since Day One.  

Which ought to make a viewer capable of thought question their motives.  But then, that's not the demographic they're after.  

• Like 1

It's a shame what's happening in India. Really makes me feel lucky for what we have here in the States. Even with Trump as president, we were still able to mobilize to combat covid. Now, we are at a point where 50% of adults (in VA at least) have received the vaccine. People are still masking and numbers aren't jumping up. There's hope that we will defeat this soon.

Meanwhile, I understand that India is overcrowded in many areas and has huge hygiene issues. Leadership seems to be promoting holy days that will lead to spread. They're underreporting their numbers and didn't have the foresight or planning to handle such a spike. Also, their medical systems are woefully unprepared for something like this. I'd love to help them, but this seems like it was partially brought on by their own actions.

3 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

It’s weird that it took till now to have a spike in India. Were people doing the lockdown and then just got tired of it?

They were doing a lockdown but also under-reporting numbers. The company I work for is owned by a Indian company so I have colleagues in India and we have had many conversations. Same with Brazil - we have manufacturing there.  

3 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Makes me wonder what the infection and death numbers would have been like if we'd have made first dose vaccinations available to everyone from the start. 

Worse.  

It's not like they were turning away young healthy people so they could pour the vaccine down the drain.  (Well, I'm sure that happened, occasionally, somewhere.  But not by design.)  

Every "young person who would have been vaccinated 2 months ago" would have come at the expense of "high risk person who didn't get it, two months ago."  

2 hours ago, Larry said:

Worse.  

It's not like they were turning away young healthy people so they could pour the vaccine down the drain.  (Well, I'm sure that happened, occasionally, somewhere.  But not by design.)  

Every "young person who would have been vaccinated 2 months ago" would have come at the expense of "high risk person who didn't get it, two months ago."  

Perhaps..and I can see that argument.

Were those high risk people the super spreaders here? 

Edited by The Evil Genius