Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

24 minutes ago, Llevron said:

That diabetes death count though 

This is likely what happens when people lose income (pandemic), they raise the prices of insulin (greed and price gouging), and people avoid the doctor visits (pandemic). 

Edit.. add in a dose of bad food choices when stuck at home and its a recipe for diabetes deaths.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2

Expert says children are now spreading COVID-19 variant

A top epidemiologist is warning the B.1.1.7 variant of the coronavirus first identified in the United Kingdom may infect children more easily than previous strains. 

“This B.1.1.7 variant is a brand new ballgame,” Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, said during an interview Sunday on NBC’s Meet the Press. 

“In fact, right here in Minnesota, we’re now seeing the other aspect of this B.1.1.7 variant that hasn’t been talked much about, and that is the fact that it infects kids very readily,” he said. 

Osterholm said in Minnesota nearly 750 schools reported cases of the more contagious variant over the last two weeks. The warning comes as kids all across the country have gone back into the classroom after months of learning from home. 

“Unlike the previous strains of the virus, we didn’t see children under eighth grade get infected often, or they were not frequently very ill. They didn’t transmit to the rest of the community. That’s why I was one of those people very strongly supporting reopening in-class learning. B.1.1.7 turns that on its head.” 

Osterholm said the U.K. variant is between 50 to 100 percent more infectious than previous strains and can cause more severe illness about 55 percent of the time. 

He said the variant is driving the recent spike in cases in the Upper Midwest and Northeast and the U.S. is just beginning to see the start of a fourth wave. While he applauded the Biden administration’s efforts to get vaccines to millions of people, he said immunizations weren’t rolling out fast enough to avoid an imminent surge. 

Click on the link for the full article

They're also the last ones likely to be vaccinated.  So let's fully reopen schools so they can get together and spread the virus.  After all kids in school have never been known to spread colds, flu or other viruses.  Brilliant!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, China said:

Expert says children are now spreading COVID-19 variant

A top epidemiologist is warning the B.1.1.7 variant of the coronavirus first identified in the United Kingdom may infect children more easily than previous strains. 

“This B.1.1.7 variant is a brand new ballgame,” Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, said during an interview Sunday on NBC’s Meet the Press. 

“In fact, right here in Minnesota, we’re now seeing the other aspect of this B.1.1.7 variant that hasn’t been talked much about, and that is the fact that it infects kids very readily,” he said. 

Osterholm said in Minnesota nearly 750 schools reported cases of the more contagious variant over the last two weeks. The warning comes as kids all across the country have gone back into the classroom after months of learning from home. 

“Unlike the previous strains of the virus, we didn’t see children under eighth grade get infected often, or they were not frequently very ill. They didn’t transmit to the rest of the community. That’s why I was one of those people very strongly supporting reopening in-class learning. B.1.1.7 turns that on its head.” 

Osterholm said the U.K. variant is between 50 to 100 percent more infectious than previous strains and can cause more severe illness about 55 percent of the time. 

He said the variant is driving the recent spike in cases in the Upper Midwest and Northeast and the U.S. is just beginning to see the start of a fourth wave. While he applauded the Biden administration’s efforts to get vaccines to millions of people, he said immunizations weren’t rolling out fast enough to avoid an imminent surge. 

They're also the last ones likely to be vaccinated.  So let's fully reopen schools so they can get together and spread the virus.  After all kids in school have never been known to spread colds, flu or other viruses.  Brilliant!

I’d be interested in knowing how they are opening up.  My BIL teaches in Wisconsin.  They’ve been in the building all school year.  Part in person/part virtual.  Mask requirements are very lax.  They had an outbreak a few weeks ago.  Here in Fairfax Co, the return has been much more cautious with stricter mask wearing and student spacing.  

Troubling "Eek" variant found in most Tokyo hospital COVID cases - NHK

Around 70% of coronavirus patients tested at a Tokyo hospital last month carried a mutation known for reducing vaccine protection, Japanese public broadcaster NHK said on Sunday.

The E484K mutation, nicknamed “Eek” by some scientists, was found in 10 of 14 people who tested positive for the virus at Tokyo Medical and Dental University Medical Hospital in March, the report said.

For the two months through March, 12 of 36 COVID patients carried the mutation, with none of them having recently travelled abroad or reporting contact with people who had, it said.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, tshile said:

Wife and I went over the list of post covid issues. 

barring the overly extreme things like stroke, she’s got most of them I’ve got about half of them. 

sucks. 

Sorry to hear that. Sounds terrible. I feel like this stuff still needs A LOT more coverage from the media. There are still way too many people thinking "it probably won't kill me, so what's the big deal".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, tshile said:

Wife and I went over the list of post covid issues. 

barring the overly extreme things like stroke, she’s got most of them I’ve got about half of them. 

sucks. 

Sorry to hear. Hopefully not the other brain damage side effects...

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-hidden-long-term-cognitive-effects-of-covid-2020100821133#:~:text=COVID can cause damage to,with COVID suffered strokes.

Autopsy data from COVID patients in Finland suggests that another major cause of brain damage is lack of oxygen. Particularly worrisome is that several of the patients who were autopsied did not show any signs of brain injury during the course of their COVID infection — yet all had brain damage. In one patient there was loss of taste, and in two there was “minimal respiratory distress,” but none of these patients were thought to have any brain damage while alive.

2 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

Sorry to hear that. Sounds terrible. I feel like this stuff still needs A LOT more coverage from the media. There are still way too many people thinking "it probably won't kill me, so what's the big deal".

I suspect the full effects won't be truly realized for years or even decades. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, EmirOfShmo said:

^^That's pretty freaking amazing considering where they were just a short time ago. 

Yeah we are doing a crazy # of shots a day here. The bad areas infection wise (SoCal) have calmed post Xmas and it's been a good downward trend for the most part.

I'm a little squeamish about the targeted June 15th for full reopening,  but these numbers do help. Plus the current 34% (13.6 mil first doses/39.5mil) of the state population having at least a first dose helps. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Yeah we are doing a crazy # of shots a day here. The bad areas infection wise (SoCal) have calmed post Xmas and it's been a good downward trend for the most part.

I'm a little squeamish about the targeted June 15th for full reopening,  but these numbers do help. Plus the current 34% (13.6 mil first doses/39.5mil) of the state population having at least a first dose helps. 

For all the bad press he gets, I've been very impressed with Newsom handling the virus. Aside from the holiday surge (which hit every state), CA has done remarkably well considering having the highest population. More couldve been done in the LA and central valley areas with people that couldn't work from home, but those areas have recovered WAY faster than i expected. The vaccine rollout has far surpassed my expectations (I received my first dose yesterday and I'm only 35)

hopefully these crazy variants (i was reading about a "double mutant" variant in CA last night) don't undue all the good work, so yeah.. i'll still be wearing a mask and avoiding big gatherings for a while

COVID-19 in Canada

Level 4: Very High Level of COVID-19 in Canada

Key Information for Travelers to Canada

-Travelers should avoid all travel to Canada.

-Because of the current situation in  Canada even fully vaccinated travelers may be at risk for getting and spreading COVID-19 variants and should avoid all travel to Canada.

Click on the link for more

• Sad 1