Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

I try not to pay a whole lot of attention to what the media says, as it tends to be biased on one side or the other to the point where it gets very nauseating. And I think, when all is said and done, there needs to be a 9/11-type report on how the country could've done things better, from testing to how we could've perhaps mitigated the economic impact, and perhaps not shut almost completely down at the outset.

But, as others have said, the facts appear to be that, so far, this thing has taken over 200K lives in the country. By year end, it'll likely be closer to 300K.  I think the frustrating thing is that the covid-deniers have gone from "no way we are going to have more than 60K die from this" to "well, these people who they are saying died of covid, are probably dying of something else."  Sooner or later, we are going to have a count for overall number of deaths in 2020. If the number of covid deaths turns out to be excess deaths over what we've seen in recent years (roughly 2.8 million per year in both 2017 and 2018), that'll amount to a roughly 10 percent increase. Which to me is signficant. And yes, a lot of the response is political. The same people who are complaining of government overreach at 200K dead would've been screaming to holy hell if we had done nothing and the death toll was double that. 

12 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

The long term lung damage to survivors in that age range is unknown. But sure, let's dismiss everyone in that age range. None of them are already compromised with minor and major health problems like asthma and obesity. So none of them will likely die or suffer life long damage from getting it. 

No one is "dismissing" and that's what gets frustrating. I'm allowed to think many media outlets overblow things and run one-off stories for clicks/eyeballs without dismissing that this virus is making people sick and killing people. 

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

I'm sorry but anyone or source using the term "twindemic" is doing absolutely nothing but fear mongering.

hospitals are built to meet the normal demands, eg, the surge in the flu.  Then, you have a surge of corona virus on top of that. At the same time. And the symptoms are the same/similar.

twindemic seems to be an accurate name to me.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Probably a lot, but what does that have to do with the things I post? 

I was more reacting to your "no one" is dismissing covid statement......quite a few out there still dismiss it.

I'm likely more on your side on this argument, and ever since the outset, have not been afraid to live my life, while at the same time being respectful of the rules that have been put in place. Again, I've given up on watching the news much to pay enough attention to what the media is saying these days, apart from the running tally of deaths. I will say that how a certain media outlet treated this virus at the beginning, as well as the President (publicly, not privately in conversations to Bob Woodward) still really rubs me the wrong way. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

No one is "dismissing" and that's what gets frustrating. I'm allowed to think many media outlets overblow things and run one-off stories for clicks/eyeballs without dismissing that this virus is making people sick and killing people. 

I might have read your post wrong tbh (mea culpa), but I personally don't see these as one off stories. Not every covid19 death can have a lesson behind it. If anything, I think the deaths are downplayed in the media because they are mostly "boring" news. 

• Like 1

Yeah, this virus is some very bad stuff. That said, we can beat it if we use masks, wash our hands, don’t get too close to one another. We can still live our lives.

I just hate coming in here (this thread) to only read bad news when there is good news happening as well. Every morning I look at the VDH we slowly seem to be going in the right direction, even while the UVA models are expecting us to start trending upwards.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

I work for a state health department and it's used widely there. Alone, the seasonal flu is deadly enough (but not covid-19 deadly). Coupled with an ongoing pandemic the potential should scare the **** out of anyone. The fact that you or others piss if off as fear mongering is sad. But it won't stop me for encouraging anyone and everyone to get their flu shots, to do the proper safeguards, and to stick to the plan. 

There were only a few of us on the thread in the first 10 pages who took this seriously.  There was also many posters who though it was media fear mongering and/or a joke.

The long term lung damage to survivors in that age range is unknown. But sure, let's dismiss everyone in that age range. None of them are already compromised with minor and major health problems like asthma and obesity. So none of them will likely die or suffer life long damage from getting it. 

The coronavirus being here has absolutely ZERO bearing on whether I would get a flu shot or not.  Neither does anyone calling this winter a twindemic.  I would get one and get one every single year.  

I don't care if you say twindemic at work or not it's just a buzzword to get people scared.

I work in software engineering and the buzzword cloud gets thrown around all the time even though we all know it just means server.

Edited by purbeast

12 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

No one is "dismissing" and that's what gets frustrating.

Yes, you are.  

Every single time you announce that "the media is overflowing it" or "young people are really unlikely to die from it".  

Because both of those are taglines for "therefore we should just stick our fingers in our ears and ignore it".  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, purbeast said:

I don't care if you say twindemic at work or not it's just a buzzword to get people scared.

Yeah.  You're right.  

I mean, it couldn't possibly be to, oh, get people to get a flu shot.  Or to, maybe, take COVID a teensy bit seriously.  

34 minutes ago, Larry said:

Yeah.  You're right.  

I mean, it couldn't possibly be to, oh, get people to get a flu shot.  Or to, maybe, take COVID a teensy bit seriously.  

You think a new made up word is going to get people now, who haven't taken covid serious, 6 months later, is going to change their mind?

Yeah I'm sure Desantos is going to shut down restaurants and bars because he heard someone call this winter a twindemic.

This is the same type of wording as Snowmageddon just trying to rile everyone up.  Thankfully I have only seen twindemic on this forum though so I don't think it's catching on as much as other dumb buzzwords.

Edited by purbeast

2 hours ago, Larry said:

Yes, you are.  

Every single time you announce that "the media is overflowing it" or "young people are really unlikely to die from it".  

Because both of those are taglines for "therefore we should just stick our fingers in our ears and ignore it".  

No, you're drawing that line. It's not dissimilar from when a NFL team is good in a given year and suddenly the comparisons to historically great teams roll in. I can acknowledge that a team is good and possibly even this year's best without believing that they are a top-3 NFL team of all-time. Stating that they aren't the 1985 Bears doesn't mean I think they suck or I'm going to ignore their present-day accomplishments. 

Covid is real. Covid is deadly. Covid is dangerous. It's also not nearly as deadly or dangerous as many media outlets would like to portray. If you don't believe both points can be true then YOU, no ME, are the one sticking your fingers in your ears and unwilling to listen to nuanced discussion. 

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

All I can say is I would strongly suggest listening to the overwhelming majority of healthcare professionals regarding how serious/dangerous covid19 is. 

I tend to trust subject matter experts in highly specialized fields. 

Yes, of course. I just always have my guard up when I see the random story about the random person from somewhere else. I believe the story and that the events occurred, but what makes me uncomfortable is that it's often used to reset a baseline in public opinion. It's like doing a 15-minute report on a family who had a child kidnapped from a mall in Minnesota. Not all, but a lot of people would overreact to that to believe that means kidnappings are on the rise...

Anyway, clearly I'm touching some nerves even without trying to do so, so I'll stand down a bit.