Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

I will add this, it's not just this one place. This attitude is likely prevalent in the area and you're going to have a ripe situation for something like this:
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/10/853468647/south-korea-records-spike-in-new-coronavirus-cases-after-nightclub-outbreak

31 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

It's really not that big of a deal unless you are an at risk person. In which case you should quarantine yourself.

This isn't rocket science people. 

Do you have elderly relatives? Do you visit them? Are their interactions only with "at risk" people? Perhaps their caregiver is enjoying their weekend?

Add: Or maybe their caregivers kid. I don't know how this is going to turn out, but it seems to me we could try to be careful for a while to see if it goes away. Acting on our desires may or may not cost people lives, but my guess is it will.

Edited by RedskinsFan44
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sportjunkie07 said:

It's really not that big of a deal unless you are an at risk person. In which case you should quarantine yourself.

This isn't rocket science people. 

Can you tell us who is at risk? And what they're at risk of?

Edited by visionary

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I’ll do the math on that video...

Lets say 80% are young and very low risk.  Other 20% are 45+ and/or have assorted comorbidities.  Let’s say 1500 people in that shot.

IF, big IF, there are 5 asymptomatic carriers there...cause these folks aren’t completely brain dead.  Nobody is showing up there with a 101 fever, hacking all over the place.  Factor in some breezy sunshine and warm temps.  Then those five will infect say 100 people.  Of that 100, you’ll get 90 that fight it off, 10 that go to the hospital and 2 that die.

Now that’s not good...at all.  But, it’s not an apocalyptic event as a special occasion/holiday deal...especially if all the attendees spend the next 8-10 days masked up.

That's not the math, though.

You don't need 5 asymptomatic carriers...you just need one. Depending on the R-value (which has been reported to be as high as 3 over the last month or so), one person can lead to over 2,000 infected people in just 10 rounds. And the R-value appears to be higher from "superspreading events" like attending churches and nightclubs where people congregate. Only, church services last a few hours and nightclubs one evening. What is going on in the video is something that will last 3 days, increasing the likelihood of transmission.

By the way, full disclosure...found out last night that my niece and cousin both tested positive COVID-19 about a month ago. They have since recovered and I'm eternally thankful for that. My niece is a scientist, not sure what my cousin is doing now but she used to be with the Obama administration...and both are relatively young. Both became moms last year.

21 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

That's not the math, though.

You don't need 5 asymptomatic carriers...you just need one. Depending on the R-value (which has been reported to be as high as 3 over the last month or so), one person can lead to over 2,000 infected people in just 10 rounds. And the R-value appears to be higher from "superspreading events" like attending churches and nightclubs where people congregate. Only, church services last a few hours and nightclubs one evening. What is going on in the video is something that will last 3 days, increasing the likelihood of transmission.

By the way, full disclosure...found out last night that my niece and cousin both tested positive COVID-19 about a month ago. They have since recovered and I'm eternally thankful for that. My niece is a scientist, not sure what my cousin is doing now but she used to be with the Obama administration...and both are relatively young. Both became moms last year.

I am well aware that spreading can and will occur beyond this.  I was just trying to grade out the direct impact of the pool party.

Mojo to your nieces.

5 hours ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

Do you have elderly relatives? Do you visit them? Are their interactions only with "at risk" people? Perhaps their caregiver is enjoying their weekend?

Add: Or maybe their caregivers kid. I don't know how this is going to turn out, but it seems to me we could try to be careful for a while to see if it goes away. Acting on our desires may or may not cost people lives, but my guess is it will.

I have a new born. I consider him a high risk candidate for things like this even though it doesn’t seem to target children. I have an elderly family member as well that is prone to sickness. For these reasons I took and still take extra precaution around them.

but that shouldn’t necessarily be the case for everyone and I’m not going to judge others for feeling they have to work or get out of their house to provide for themselves and their families. 

ive also seen how these sicknesses get hyped up by media before, and both political sides have gone out of their way to influence the media to their own agenda. It’s disgusting quite frankly and makes it difficult to understand what the real statistics are.

What we are doing as a country is giving in to blind fear. Untold deaths from cancers and other progressive diseases will be a result. We are forcing people to stay at homes and wreck themselves financially, becoming more dependent on the government and a faulty economic system. the government is going to have to bailout the entire country on a state level.

you wanna stay at home, are you very risk averse or more prone to sickness? You do you..but be aware of the liberty you are losing and don’t attempt to force me to follow suit.

Edited by sportjunkie07

7 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Birx says 100k to 240k in the first wave! 

I watched the whole episode (gotta catch up with the crazy once a week)...Chris Wallace was asking damn good questions...Birx did not answer one single question directly. Not one. Not even a straight up "yes or no" to one, just kept talking in circles. 

I've declared that she be named Waffling B-Word. That's what she is. She let a complete dickbaby ruin her reputation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I have a new born. I consider him a high risk candidate for things like this even though it doesn’t seem to target children. I have an elderly family member as well that is prone to sickness. For these reasons I took and still take extra precaution around them.

but that shouldn’t necessarily be the case for everyone and I’m not going to judge others for feeling they have to work or get out of their house to provide for themselves and their families. 

ive also seen how these sicknesses get hyped up by media before, and both political sides have gone out of their way to influence the media to their own agenda. It’s disgusting quite frankly and makes it difficult to understand what the real statistics are.

What we are doing as a country is giving in to blind fear. Untold deaths from cancers and other progressive diseases will be a result. We are forcing people to stay at homes and wreck themselves financially, becoming more dependent on the government and a faulty economic system. the government is going to have to bailout the entire country on a state level.

you wanna stay at home, are you very risk averse or more prone to sickness? You do you..but be aware of the liberty you are losing and don’t attempt to force me to follow suit.

Counterpoint: People not taking it seriously are going to make things worse for all of us. This is a new reality, we have to adapt to it to be able to successfully move about. If everyone was careful we could knock this thing down to a manageable size. It seems likely we are going to see an uptick soon because people want to pretend it's over.

My point is we have to reopen society, but we don't have to crowd together without any consideration for the reality that this thing is still spreading and there is no cure or vaccine likely for months at best. 

Edited by RedskinsFan44
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

You don’t need a mask, God will protect you. You definitely DO need a military grade assault rifle though.

Common sense. God simply won’t protect you against the opinions of others that differ from yours. That’s where you’ve got to play God! 😜

41 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I watched the whole episode (gotta catch up with the crazy once a week)...Chris Wallace was asking damn good questions...Birx did not answer one single question directly. Not one. Not even a straight up "yes or no" to one, just kept talking in circles. 

I've declared that she be named Waffling B-Word. That's what she is. She let a complete dickbaby ruin her reputation. 

Those 15 minutes of fame though.

• Sad 2

36 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

My point is we have to reopen society, but we don't have to crowd together without any consideration for the reality that this thing is still spreading and there is no cure or vaccine likely for months at best. 

THIS.  

I forgot something at the store yesterday. (cat treats for Vicki)...Too bad, it'll have to wait until Wednesday when I get out again (for work, where I'm fortunate enough to have plenty of PPE.)

I don't go farther than my mailbox if I don't have to...for everyone's safety.

THINK OF OTHERS, EVEN IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT YOURSELF. 

(I keep forgetting that's impossible for some. ) 🙄

• Like 3

The binary/ either or choices being touted are just .......well, insane. We all need safe, sane, workable solutions to getting things going but this whole head up your ass hoax hoax hoaxity hoax blather ain't one of them. I'm not sure it's entirely feasible to just let 10% of the populace kill themselves off while dragging umpteen thousands of others with them, but I have yet to see any suggestions to prevent this from happening. The dumbographic is remarkable resistant to anything even approaching rational thought, I cannot even wrap my head around the fact that people are screaming their denial of a disease.

243706465_image(1).png.ce5ae50bc9428f410a60277530e82c85.png

• Sad 3

9 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Right.  

Because the good of society (including thousands of deaths) isn't a good enough reason to tell you to wear a mask in WalMart, or not go to that spring break pool party.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1