Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

20 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

Perhaps the deviation from percieved value and actual value to our coaches is scheme dependent.  There is a reason Ron and Jack felt immediately on defense we should switch to the 4-3. Maybe with giving these linebackers a clearly defined role and simplistic responsibility will eliminate the hesitation you see from their play from last year.

It also could be that although these players dont grade out as "great" that they are average to potentially above average with the entire defense playing as a unit. To me this is part of the first year evaluation and picking and choosing what they can upgrade via free agency and the draft in one year.

I dont doubt we could use upgrades at most of our positions on defense and offense for that matter, but how much can we while being financially flexible moving into year two and three? My take on free agency is upgrade where it is clear and obvious and at the right value. I think we can be competitive but looking at our roster from the lens of we are close to being a super bowl contender will raise more questions then answers. Just my opinion but both Ron and Jack come from a linebacker background so if anything I would lean towards their collective expertise in this regard. We may indeed draft a linebacker in the middle rounds to your point.

My take is Chase and then offensive BPA for the majority of the draft.

First off, this is written far too eloquently for a football message board. Especially this one.

Also, I agree with your take except the "offensive BPA" part. I think we'll focus on DBs like we have the last few years considering our scouting is the same gang.

57 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’ve been watching last years games on and off for the last few months in between the draft prospects...

I don’t understand how SDH graded out so well in coverage. I also don’t understand how Bostic is the answer at MIKE unless he’s going to be the backup. Neither guy was impressive. Same for Holcomb. Though, I’m surprised RR made a comment or Keim or someone said Holcomb wouldn’t be the MIKE.

I think that’s his best spot. Can get sideline to sideline. He didn’t play downhill well last year but likely due to being terrified of being beat in coverage.

Im debating doing a real film review, but I’m watching SDH he’s close to the receiver plenty and able to bring them down for small YAC. But his PFF score makes it seem like he’s a blanket. 

And Bostic wasn’t exactly decisive, either.

Our best linebacker right now is very likely Thomas Davis. 

I don’t understand why we’re not attacking the LB positions harder than we are with more impact. Pierre-Louis I haven’t seen a ton of, so maybe he can start outside. 

because 4-3 LBs are the least appreciated of every type of defensive player this day and age, there's the least quality of them out there and these two defensive coaches who were linebackers in their playing days know what they're looking for and have a decent idea of what they have

3 minutes ago, carex said:

because 4-3 LBs are the least appreciated of every type of defensive player this day and age, there's the least quality of them out there and these two defensive coaches who were linebackers in their playing days know what they're looking for and have a decent idea of what they have

What?

Let me ask... if they signed Cam Newton, would you say “well the coaching staff knows what they’re doing! I trust them!”

I don’t think you would.

I agree that they know defense. 

And I am aware that the goal is overall improvement, not contendership. So I’m not sitting here bemoaning what the process is. I just wish I felt more comfortable at LB.

58 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’ve been watching last years games on and off for the last few months in between the draft prospects...

I don’t understand how SDH graded out so well in coverage. I also don’t understand how Bostic is the answer at MIKE unless he’s going to be the backup. Neither guy was impressive. Same for Holcomb. Though, I’m surprised RR made a comment or Keim or someone said Holcomb wouldn’t be the MIKE.

I think that’s his best spot. Can get sideline to sideline. He didn’t play downhill well last year but likely due to being terrified of being beat in coverage.

Im debating doing a real film review, but I’m watching SDH he’s close to the receiver plenty and able to bring them down for small YAC. But his PFF score makes it seem like he’s a blanket. 

And Bostic wasn’t exactly decisive, either.

Our best linebacker right now is very likely Thomas Davis. 

I don’t understand why we’re not attacking the LB positions harder than we are with more impact. Pierre-Louis I haven’t seen a ton of, so maybe he can start outside. 

Agreed on all counts.

Bostic was better than what we had prior but his lack of speed was apparent.  I expected them to go hard after Blake Martinez. 

Regardless of instincts, leadership and familiarity with the defense, Davis has lost more than a step.

On 3/17/2020 at 4:16 PM, carex said:

I think most 4-3 teams carry six or seven.  But right now including Bostic and Pierre-Louis we have EIGHT.  If Ryan Anderson plays LB and and Reuben Foster can play next year.  We are not even close to overstocking at LB right now

I think Linebacker will be our best group if we can get C. Young.  Montez Sweat will have a good year next year.  Chase on the other side, and possibly play Ryan in the middle (new dynamic for him).  I’m not high on Bostic or Holcombe.

18 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I think Linebacker will be our best group if we can get C. Young.  Montez Sweat will have a good year next year.  Chase on the other side, and possibly play Ryan in the middle (new dynamic for him).  I’m not high on Bostic or Holcombe.

Young, Sweat and Kerrigan are all DEs in a 4-3. Maybe Anderson also.  

22 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Ryan Anderson in the middle?

Sweat and Young are the ends, assuming we take Young.

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

What?

Let me ask... if they signed Cam Newton, would you say “well the coaching staff knows what they’re doing! I trust them!”

I don’t think you would.

I agree that they know defense. 

And I am aware that the goal is overall improvement, not contendership. So I’m not sitting here bemoaning what the process is. I just wish I felt more comfortable at LB.

why mention Cam, when we're talking defensive coaches?  My point is we as fans lack the info to feel anything about LB

3 minutes ago, carex said:

why mention Cam, when we're talking defensive coaches?  My point is we as fans lack the info to feel anything about LB

Then why the **** do we come here? 

You can be exhausting. We lack info to feel anything about anything, dont we? Quarterback, running back, tight end, defensive line, quality control assistant coaches...

Yet we post about it all the time. Including you. 

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

You can be exhausting.

No no his good opinions are nuanced and educated but you just don't have the info to be able to support your bad opinions. 

55 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Agreed on all counts.

Bostic was better than what we had prior but his lack of speed was apparent.  I expected them to go hard after Blake Martinez. 

Regardless of instincts, leadership and familiarity with the defense, Davis has lost more than a step.

Martinez was not the answer, he makes a lot of tackles but they're 5+ yards down the field. He reminds me of a slightly faster Will Compton. Just not good enough for the $$ he would command. Bostic was better than Foster, but I agree, he was not  the answer either. Serviceable yes, but answer? No.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

You can be exhausting.

we can talk about things we know and sure we can talk about things we hope and what does it hurt to admit that on somethings we are totally flying blind?  I mean we spent so much time with a four man line we have a rough idea what a standard 4-3 Defensive line for example

I think RR has us all guessing as to what he's doing....he hasn't made any big FA splashes, is openly shopping our two highest rated players (arguably) and could be interested in signing his former star QB (Newton). Makes me wonder what he has planned for the draft and if Chase Young is as much as a lock as we all think he is? The way I see it, we have no starting LT, lock down corner, no solid TE's and a huge question mark with potential at QB.....this could take awhile for sure. 

5 minutes ago, carex said:

we can talk about things we know and sure we can talk about things we hope and what does it hurt to admit that on somethings we are totally flying blind?  I mean we spent so much time with a four man line we have a rough idea what a standard 4-3 Defensive line for example

Sounds like you're projecting onto KDawg what you think is possible to tell about LB's on film and their scheme fit. Some people know more than others. Me personally, I haven't said a word, critical or otherwise, about our LB situation this offseason because that's not an area I feel comfortable contributing in (in detail) and plenty of people already do thr obvious things like post PFF rankings etc. It sounds like you're in the same boat, just colored by your natural optimism for the team.

I think that's fine. Many of us should be better about staying in our lane. That does not mean we all are in the same lane on every topic, and I think it's fair to say that on this one that applies to KDawg. He DOES feel he has enough information to formulate his opinions. 

Maybe in cases like this if you disagree or just don't buy it, it would be more beneficial to break his posts down point by point and ask scheme and skill-set related questions to see if, after the information exchange, you still think the opinion is unfounded. That seems a lot more productive than simply stating whether someone has enough info or knowledge to think what they do, when you have no standing to assume that. 

8 minutes ago, carex said:

So it’s your take that no one can know how a 4-3 defense works from a linebacker perspective? Nuances? Maybe not. General set up? Absolutely. 

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think that's fine. Many of us should be better about staying in our lane. That does not mean we all are in the same lane on every topic, and I think it's fair to say that on this one that applies to KDawg. He DOES feel he has enough information to formulate his opinions. 

And that doesn’t even mean I’m right about my thoughts. To his point, Rivera and Del Rio are good coaches, former backers and have pedigrees. They may be able to fix some of the holes. 

I may be wrong about Holcomb at MIKE. Maybe he makes a great outside backer. 

These guys all could make giant leaps just based on the D being coached competently. 

But it’s an opinion.

29 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I think RR has us all guessing as to what he's doing....he hasn't made any big FA splashes, is openly shopping our two highest rated players (arguably) and could be interested in signing his former star QB (Newton).

Yeah, I think it’s apparent that Rivera is foremost concerned with adding competition in as many areas as possible.  That competition becomes a major driver of the desired culture change.  It also serves to improve our depth and open up the draft.  I think it’s a pragmatic philosophy, particularly given the performance of the team (not just players).  I think Kyle Smith fits this philosophy really well.  I’m guessing he and Ron very much are eye to eye on this.  

Makes me wonder what he has planned for the draft and if Chase Young is as much as a lock as we all think he is?

I’m inclined to agree, but I also doubt we’ll get a big offer, and I would guess the FO won’t trade out simply just because we might be able to address more needs this way.  

The way I see it, we have no starting LT, lock down corner, no solid TE's and a huge question mark with potential at QB.....this could take awhile for sure. 

I’m absolutely concerned about LT.  I think we’ll wind up with a ‘serviceable’ one though, like Penn.  I also think there’s still potential for TW and Dunbar to play for us next year.  If Dunbar is gone, I think we’ll wind up with a decent stable of corners via adding 2 more via FA/draft.  

I’ve been talking up Hentges as a blocker since he stepped foot on the field, and his game against Dallas was a pleasant surprise in terms of his receiving chops.  Pretty impressive for a rookie TE, especially one that was barely used as a receiver at Alabama.  If he makes strides this offseason, we should be in markedly better shape than last year, even if we’re still toward the bottom of the league.  

I’m pretty relaxed about Haskins.  He has the potential to be a very good qb.  If he doesn‘t live up to it, we’ll find out soon enough and move on.  This year, to me, is an evaluation year... and not just for Haskins.  

To your point about trading back, the one reason I’d consider it is if we could land a top LT (especially if we lose Trent) and a first rounder next year.  We’d be in better shape to evaluate Haskins, have better ammo to trade up for a qb next year, and have better protection for that new qb (if we went that route).  Add to all of that, any help we can give to the oline also helps the run game.  

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I'm debating doing a real film review ...

Just curious ...

Are you watching taped broadcasts for your film review?   ... or do you have access to coaches film?

Archived