Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

It’s mind-boggling that D.J. Swearinger went from a possible pro bowl season half way through 2018 to signing a 1 year 1.1 million dollar deal this year.

This speaks character and the reason why talent will only get you so far at the professional level. The new emphasis on culture stems from situations just like his while a member of this organization. 

If like to see additional moves made at the following positions:

LB (outside and inside. I’m still quite uncomfortable. Not sure I love Holcomb or SDH starting on the outside and Thomas Davis is going to be a 2-down guy)

CB (Logan Ryan, Bree, etc.)

FS (I like Sean Davis. But I think if a safety is BPA in the draft order the upgrade would be worth it)

QB (obviously.)

WR (likely BPA in draft, the remaining receivers aren’t all that awe inspiring)

TE (I’m higher on Hentges than just about anyone here I think... Logan Thomas is an okay addition. This may need to wait for BPA in draft or next year)

OT

1 hour ago, ksun247 said:

Carter was cut by the Eagles very early in his career. Alcohol issues and not playing up to his potential, I believe. He signed with the Vikes and the rest is history.

I’m completely aware of Cris Carter and his history. My point of bringing him up is that he finally got it after a few years and got to work on being a “pro”. Some of these wideouts coming out of school are prima donnas and think their talent is enough to get it done in the NFL. 

Perriman could be one of those guys. Bounced around a bit after being a first rounder and maybe he got his act together. He was lights out in the last few games with an erratic Winston and with Evans/Godwin hurt he was the only option on that team. 

Why would Rivera want to sign either TW or Dunbar to anything?  He does not have to which to me has been the most important element in this.  Plus it occurs to me that Rivera would have completely contradicted himself if he gave into the demands of either of these two players. It is a very clear message that  players that use social media rather then going their agents to air their grievances is not going to end well. The best play with someone like Trent was exactly what Rivera did  - sure go ahead Trent check your market value.  It is so smart yet respectful because there is no way Trent can come back and act like a malcontent because Rivera gave him the opportunity to find a team.  And I think our leverage increases exponentially as this plays out.  The motivation to do well, so either of them gets paid in the future, means they both give it their all on a team friendly deal for the Skins. 

I am super happy the way Rivera has handled this.  And I know we have missed out on some guys here in FA but frankly no matter what, I look forward to us not being the brunt of so many jokes because of the "leaks" out of the clubhouse, the tweets, etc.  Essentially the drama being shelved. 

I’ve been watching last years games on and off for the last few months in between the draft prospects...

I don’t understand how SDH graded out so well in coverage. I also don’t understand how Bostic is the answer at MIKE unless he’s going to be the backup. Neither guy was impressive. Same for Holcomb. Though, I’m surprised RR made a comment or Keim or someone said Holcomb wouldn’t be the MIKE.

I think that’s his best spot. Can get sideline to sideline. He didn’t play downhill well last year but likely due to being terrified of being beat in coverage.

Im debating doing a real film review, but I’m watching SDH he’s close to the receiver plenty and able to bring them down for small YAC. But his PFF score makes it seem like he’s a blanket. 

And Bostic wasn’t exactly decisive, either.

Our best linebacker right now is very likely Thomas Davis. 

I don’t understand why we’re not attacking the LB positions harder than we are with more impact. Pierre-Louis I haven’t seen a ton of, so maybe he can start outside. 

9 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Holcomb was pushed around by heavier opposing players on running plays directed inside. 
He showed speed on the outside and did tackle well sideline to sideline.

They all were. And none of them attacked downhill, which is why they got pushed around. They were real hesitant to attack the run. And then he tried to do the “go around” thing vs. block destruct.

Thats why I think you want to take coverage away from him a bit and let him get downhill.

We have a slew of guys who “can” play outside, but none that I am sold on to play MIKE. That is a gaping hole. Likely the biggest.

Then, while watching the second Giants game, I was REALLY impressed with Haskins this time around. A few rookie moments but the dude played well. I was ready to come here and post about how impressive he was... and then Keenum came in and tore the Giants up. 

I hate that I’m not sure if Haskins is Fool’s Gold or not.

2 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

Just a refresher on my man Perriman. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000481430/article/breshad-perriman-wows-scouts-with-425second-40yard-dash

that speed puts him on par with guys like Chris Johnson and John Ross. 

I was hoping the Redskins would target Perriman, but I'm wondering why the Bucs decided not to try to keep him.

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

They all were. And none of them attacked downhill, which is why they got pushed around. They were real hesitant to attack the run. And then he tried to do the “go around” thing vs. block destruct.

Thats why I think you want to take coverage away from him a bit and let him get downhill.

We have a slew of guys who “can” play outside, but none that I am sold on to play MIKE. That is a gaping hole. Likely the biggest.

Then, while watching the second Giants game, I was REALLY impressed with Haskins this time around. A few rookie moments but the dude played well. I was ready to come here and post about how impressive he was... and then Keenum came in and tore the Giants up. 

While I can root for him my mind tells me we are dealing with Fool’s Gold.  Rivera will rely on Turner to decide if he can improve or not.

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Perhaps the deviation from percieved value and actual value to our coaches is scheme dependent.  There is a reason Ron and Jack felt immediately on defense we should switch to the 4-3. Maybe with giving these linebackers a clearly defined role and simplistic responsibility will eliminate the hesitation you see from their play from last year.

It also could be that although these players dont grade out as "great" that they are average to potentially above average with the entire defense playing as a unit. To me this is part of the first year evaluation and picking and choosing what they can upgrade via free agency and the draft in one year.

I dont doubt we could use upgrades at most of our positions on defense and offense for that matter, but how much can we while being financially flexible moving into year two and three? My take on free agency is upgrade where it is clear and obvious and at the right value. I think we can be competitive but looking at our roster from the lens of we are close to being a super bowl contender will raise more questions then answers. Just my opinion but both Ron and Jack come from a linebacker background so if anything I would lean towards their collective expertise in this regard. We may indeed draft a linebacker in the middle rounds to your point.

My take is Chase and then offensive BPA for the majority of the draft.

Archived