Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OC - Scott Turner incoming

UKskins

Per latest Rivera interview with Larry Michael (below) it sounds like KOC is not going to be OC next season.

Says he is "going after" an OC and is really pleased with the people they have coming in to interview.

Edited by UKskins
  • Like 3

I like the work O'Connell has been doing with Haskins, and that seems like something we should maintain if indeed Ron is all in with Haskins in 2020.

However, the actual role of OC, personally I'm open minded to who gets that job, whether that be O'Connell or someone else. 

• Like 3

This is what really pissed me off about Callahan.   He didnt let KOC call plays until the last 3 weeks.  This should have been done immediately.   We were running a 1970s offense on 1st and 2nd down with Callahan and a modern offense on 3rd setting up haskins for failure 

• Like 6

While the last few games were better, if Ron is smart he goes out and hires the very best sure bet OC available, to give the team the best chance to succeed early on.  Might even look for some promising coaches who possibly get fired due to regime change, like Kellen Moore etc.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

While the last few games were better, if Ron is smart he goes out and hires the very best sure bet OC available, to give the team the best chance to succeed early on.  Might even look for some promising coaches who possibly get fired due to regime change, like Kellen Moore etc.

Sometimes it's better to go with balls instead of smarts.

4 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

I think Haskins/O'Connell should be joined at the hip. If one fails, they both fail. If one goes, they both go. If one succeeds, they both succeed.

If Haskins is the direction, I wouldn't put someone in the soup that may clash with him after The Commandant spent so much time with him and learned his quirks.

Having said that, I just want KOC now because I can call them Riverboat, the Captain and the Commandant. The Oceanic Three. *shrug*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

There is no "sure bet" in the NFL

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

This is what really pissed me off about Callahan.   He didnt let KOC call plays until the last 3 weeks.  This should have been done immediately.   We were running a 1970s offense on 1st and 2nd down with Callahan and a modern offense on 3rd setting up haskins for failure 

That wasn't how the playcalling situation was reported mate. Not least from all the protagonists involved. KOC had full playcalling autonomy after Gruden was binned. 

Aside from the fact we had no semblance of competent QB play to pass off the run until Haskins was both deemed ready to start, and then subsequently improve with the experience. The more he got that, the more they could open up the playbook and evolve the way they attacked teams. 

But with or without proper context, that was last year and we're now officially entering the Coach Rivera era so it's all a redundant discussion. 

Hail. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

That wasn't how the playcalling situation was reported mate. Not least from all the protagonists involved. KOC had full playcalling autonomy after Gruden was binned. 

Aside from the fact we had no semblance of competent QB play to pass off the run until Haskins was both deemed ready to start, and then subsequently improve with the experience. The more he got that, the more they could open up the playbook and evolve the way they attacked teams. 

But with or without proper context, that was last year and we're now officially entering the Coach Rivera era so it's all a redundant discussion. 

Hail. 

He was calling plays but did not have full control. Callahan was dictating stuff like running basically every first down. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

I believe Norv Turner will be available 😉😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love it, ron is a smart guy and he knows what to look for in an interview process like confidence, intelligence etc, etc. 

If k.o.c displays the traits he's looking for he'll get the job, if he doesn't maybe we look in a different direction. 

It's quite refreshing doing things the right way for a change.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

If Haskins is the direction, I wouldn't put someone in the soup that may clash with him after The Commandant spent so much time with him and learned his quirks.

So much time with him?  Way less than a year and only closely together since week 11!  Before that Haskins was on the back-burner.  The coaching carousel will turn for a few more weeks and Rivera should look around.  If it turns out KOC is the man, then I'm fine with it.  If not, I might hope his old passing game coordinator position is still on the table but if Haskins "clashes" with any new coordinator brought in then he's the problem, not the coordinator.  He's a professional now and needs to act like one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FuriousD said:

So much time with him?  Way less than a year and only closely together since week 11!  Before that Haskins was on the back-burner.  The coaching carousel will turn for a few more weeks and Rivera should look around.  If it turns out KOC is the man, then I'm fine with it.  If not, I might hope his old passing game coordinator position is still on the table but if Haskins "clashes" with any new coordinator brought in then he's the problem, not the coordinator.  He's a professional now and needs to act like one.

Agreed. However, getting to know a guys quirks matters. Professional or not. Haskins gets along with him. That matters, too. 

Im not opposed to any direction Rivera goes. And I’m not really a Commandant guy (except for now that I came up with the Commandant title...) but it makes sense to see it through with him for a season. 

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

There are no sure bet OCs, in fact the most sure bet OC would likely be KOC as he has already been working with Dwayne and has been heavy involved in the improvement we have seen out of him. No reason to remove the guy that has gotten him playing well and give him a new offense to learn.

29 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

If Caldwell is not obligated to the Dolphins he’s the much better hire. KOC will be snatched up the first time we have success. That’s the price you pay in having a defensive HC. Caldwell is more qualified and much less of a flight risk if things go well.

That'd be a really good problem to have though,  an offense that was so good that our coordinator got snatched up for a head coaching position. 

The difference this time being that our head coach has a defensive background and we'll almost certainly have a very strong defense. 

Basically what I'm saying is that if that happens it's an extremely high probability that the team has been completely turned around and Is a superbowl contender. 

I'll have no problem in that instance looking for a new coordinator to replace oconell, it's what the great teams deal with on an almost annual basis.

• Like 1

I hope he stays, but I do worry that he’ll have a hard time finding assistant coaches willing to take orders from a 34-year old kid with an extremely limited track record. And if he does find guys willing to fall in line, will they be as qualified as they should be?  Not sure.  

Getting way ahead of ourselves with this, but I hope he hires an assistant coach that has the ability to take over as OC if KOC has success and gets poached to be HC for another team.  We need to ensure Haskins has continuity with the system in his early years.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, redskinss said:

That'd be a really good problem to have though,  an offense that was so good that our coordinator got snatched up for a head coaching position. 

The difference this time being that our head coach has a defensive background and we'll almost certainly have a very strong defense. 

Basically what I'm saying is that if that happens it's an extremely high probability that the team has been completely turned around and Is a superbowl contender. 

I'll have no problem in that instance looking for a new coordinator to replace oconell, it's what the great teams deal with on an almost annual basis.

KOC called what 5 games? Giving him control to run the whole offense with a defensive minded head coach is a huge job. I would much rather have the dude who worked with Peyton Manning and improved QB play wherever he’s been and is a proven coach. 

• Like 1