Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

29 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

This board is never happy.  If Chase Young had 10 sacks now, people would be upset that he doesn't have 11.  If we won the Super Bowl 42-10, people would be upset that we gave up 10 points. 

No matter what it is, It's never enough.

image.png.41a8921959dce8af11bd7a6b66f4f33e.png

12 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah one thing I'll say is his football IQ is tremendous. I haven't seen a Washington defender ever sniff out screens like he does. Its a big step up considering for years now I've always felt we've had absolute morons on our D.

You are missing Ryan Kerrigan. He is great at identifying screens. He has at 3 int I can remember and many broken up screens. But other than that you are right. 

Edited by goskins10

44 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

This board is never happy.  If Chase Young had 10 sacks now, people would be upset that he doesn't have 11.  If we won the Super Bowl 42-10, people would be upset that we gave up 10 points. 

All these recent years of success has really gotten to everyone's heads around here. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

image.png.41a8921959dce8af11bd7a6b66f4f33e.png

You are missing Ryan Kerrigan. He is great at identifying screens. He has at 3 int I can remember and many broken up screens. But other than that you are right. 

I think Kerrigan's INTs have come from tipping the ball to himself

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Kerrigan needs to do more! I know he leads the franchise in sacks but he never impacts the game!

Chase Young is gonna be a monster. Sorry for those who can’t see it. I understand the hindsight bias of maybe drafting a QB. I think Herbert is gonna be the guy everyone wishes they had taken. I love Tua but don’t think he holds up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Kerrigan needs to do more! I know he leads the franchise in sacks but he never impacts the game!

Chase Young is gonna be a monster. Sorry for those who can’t see it. I understand the hindsight bias of maybe drafting a QB. I think Herbert is gonna be the guy everyone wishes they had taken. I love Tua but don’t think he holds up.

Removed - Seems my sarcasm meter was not working. Sorry Alvin! 

Edited by goskins10

12 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I will say that a lot of the conversation is predicated on opinion, but there are subjects that can be rebutted based on fact.. like claims that Young is getting beat 1 on 1 the vast majority of the time, and that simply is not true.. because we don't know the playcall, the gap run responsibility, or any number of factors that could be beat by a single blocker.. a lot of this side of the conversation, as one of the posters pointed out with screen grabs in the game vs Detroit, is just making a case contradicting claims that we feel are just incorrect. 

I went back and counted the double teams against Detroit. Did you do the same? Well since I can assume you did not let me inform you that he was double teamed by design exactly 4 times for the entire game, on 2 others a guard and a back slid over late when they had nobody else to block but that was not a designed double team.  After reading a post claiming Chase was fighting off double and triple teams I started to watch the Bengals but my wife came in. I can report that on the first drive he faced exactly 1 double team, but I have not watched it all and will let you know the final tally.

The truth is in the plays I have charted the vast majority he was in fact blocked one on one by the tackle.  You don't need to know the play design to see that.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

12 hours ago, wit33 said:

I will not walk back in wanting and borderline expecting a Randy Moss rookie year production from the DE spot— plenty of time remains for him to spearhead a playoff run. I still believe some huge games are to come in this season and makes sense him sharing he feels healthy again. 

As average as the defense has been, it’s made major strides in year 1 of Rivera and Del Rio. This idea the unit has underperformed is interesting. What were your expectations coming in?

When you say impact plays, what does that mean and what’s the number that would allow you to anoint him as having an impactful rookie season?

Not coming at you contentiously, as I’m guilty of being subjective with most things. Not accusing you to be subjective, maybe you have some concrete information and data you go off of. 

It's not complicated, and no i do not have a magic number just as you would not have one to show he is making impactful plays.  It's the eye test.  We don't see him making plays in the backfield, that would be considered an impact play if it's a sack or a run stop for a 3 yard loss as we see other dominant defensive lineman make on a regular basis.  The play he made on the screen pass that allowed Bostic to make the play, that was an impactful play where you needed replay to appreciate it.  As was the play on the Borrow at the goal line, that was clear to see.  They aren't hard to see if they are there, they aren't as much as many of us would like. Yet.  As I keep posting I fully expect that to change as you do as well.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

You are now the 3rd person to say this. I honestly have never seen anyone come close to calling him a bust, but again I didn't read all 161 pages.  Would you mind supplying a few of them if it's not too much to ask?  I'm really curious to see them. 

Someone posted a local paper article asking if it was time for the "B" word.

10 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

And by the same token if anyone dares to be critical of a player he is almost attacked for voicing that opinion. It was the reason I stayed away for so long after signing up, just too many homers.  

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Someone posted a local paper article asking if it was time for the "B" word.

The Boswell article, I saw it. That's not the same as a poster claiming he was already a bust as was implied.  

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

The fact that the only talk in this thread is "just how disappointing" Chase is, proves you wrong.

Now wait just a minute. The talk is about 70/30 with the Chase defenders being the majority. The rest are simply saying for the 2nd overall pick, a generational talent, they expected more impactful plays. That is simply not an unreasonable position to take.  Now we have posters claiming he is constantly fighting through double and triple teams which is flat out false, we have posters claiming "disappointed" means "bust" which is equally wrong.  

This is where we are.  

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Now wait just a minute. The talk is about 70/30 with the Chase defenders being the majority. The rest are simply saying for the 2nd overall pick, a generational talent, they expected more impactful plays. That is simply not an unreasonable position to take.  Now we have posters claiming he is constantly fighting through double and triple teams which is flat out false, we have posters claiming "disappointed" means "bust" which is equally wrong.  

This is where we are.  

I'm sorry, but this is what I'm talking about.  This reads to me as "I'm not going to call him a bust but I'm going to describe all the ways he's exactly like a bust."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

And by the same token if anyone dares to be critical of a player he is almost attacked for voicing that opinion. It was the reason I stayed away for so long after signing up, just too many homers.  

It's not being a homer, but Chase Young is fine. The notion that sacks are the only thing that matters is annoying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carex said:

I'm sorry, but this is what I'm talking about.  This reads to me as "I'm not going to call him a bust but I'm going to describe all the ways he's exactly like a bust."

Just how many more times do I need to post that I have little doubt Chase Young will become a great player?  Others who have been critical have also been saying something similar. 

I'm simply trying to set the record straight with regard to double and triple teams and how disappointed to date does not mean bust. 

This is getting very very annoying.  

7 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This is where we are.  

I have no idea what you expect out of an injured rookie on a bad team, but you seem to be trying to find a way to call him a bust, without being called out for it. It's pretty transparent. 

And what player are you saying that historically around this board was untouchable with criticism? Because I'd say it's the exact opposite on here.

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Agreed

• Like 1

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's not being a homer, but Chase Young is fine. The notion that sacks are the only thing that matters is annoying.

It's not the only thing that matters. But if you are suggesting a guy slated as a dominant edge rusher who does not get sacks is insignificant then I suggest you think again.  

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I have no idea what you expect out of an injured rookie on a bad team, but you seem to be trying to find a way to call him a bust, without being called out for it. It's pretty transparent. 

And what player are you saying that historically around this board was untouchable with criticism? Because I'd say it's the exact opposite on here.

Agreed

So to clarify a poster who has posted that he expected more impactful plays but has no doubt in his mind that Chase Young will in time become a great, dominant player is finding a way to call him a bust?

I really can't ague with that type of logic because I have done no such thing.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

It's not the only thing that matters. But if you are suggesting a guy slated as a dominant edge rusher who does not get sacks is insignificant then I suggest you think again.  

So to clarify a poster who has posted that he expected more impactful plays but has no doubt in his mind that Chase Young will in time become a great, dominant player is finding a way to call him a bust?

I really can't ague with that type of logic because I have done no such thing.  

I'm not even sure what it is you are complaining about any more. 

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This is where we are.  

Again, no one has really answered my point. I’ve said even before the draft that people should be careful with the generational label non sense. I even said that if he has less than 10 sacks the fan base is going to be up in arms. 

Why did a portion of our fan base allow themselves to buy so far into the generational talk?

This thread, to me, reads like a bunch of people who are disappointed in themselves for believing he’d be completely dominant on day one... and that they allowed themselves to be sucked into the unrealistic and non sensical viewpoint that a rookie would come in and dominate grown men who are experienced... and that is even before taking the groin injury into consideration.

There are people who don’t believe he has a groin injury.

• Like 3

I have no idea if Chase will or won't be great but there was a noticeable difference in his play after he was caught flat footed on the QB keeper play, his intensity level and effort seemed to go from level 6 to 10 in one play and two plays later he caused the fumble.

Maybe he needs a fire lit under him from time to time.

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Just how many more times do I need to post that I have little doubt Chase Young will become a great player?  Others who have been critical have also been saying something similar. 

I'm simply trying to set the record straight with regard to double and triple teams and how disappointed to date does not mean bust. 

I'm sorry but this reads like covering yourself, it's like if he breaks out you'll be "well I never said he was a bust" and if he doesn't "well I was calling him a bust before anyone else realized it.

Sorry if it bugs you but that kind of thing happens when you're complaining about something a lot of people don't think need complaining about

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I went back and counted the double teams against Detroit. Did you do the same? Well since I can assume you did not let me inform you that he was double teamed by design exactly 4 times for the entire game, on 2 others a guard and a back slid over late when they had nobody else to block but that was not a designed double team.  After reading a post claiming Chase was fighting off double and triple teams I started to watch the Bengals but my wife came in. I can report that on the first drive he faced exactly 1 double team, but I have not watched it all and will let you know the final tally.

The truth is in the plays I have charted the vast majority he was in fact blocked one on one by the tackle.  You don't need to know the play design to see that.  

I have not, i was going by screen grabs that another poster went through and put on a handful of pages back...