Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

59 minutes ago, dyst said:

Him being a rookie is why this isn’t alarming to me, but I don’t buy the “teams are game-planning against him” idea simply because teams game-plan against Darnold, Watt,, Mack, Miller etc and those guy still manage. That is what we want out of Chase.

It’s important for teams to game-plan against Darnold or else he might go off for only 2 INT and 134 yards! (Yes I know you meant Donald but I couldn’t pass it up)

• Like 1

So if you take...chase young out and put nick bosa in....with a groin injury...and expect same performance last year with this group?

If somebody can...can yall post the amount of pressures/sacks the sf d line had last year st this time compared to our players

Edited by 757SeanTaylor21

1 hour ago, GOATFrerotte said:

Is it not reasonable to expect him to be one of the better rookie D ends of all time like the #2 pick from last year?

Again, I think you’re confusing hopeful with reasonable. To expect anyone to be the best of all time even as a rookie is an unfair expectation and will probably influence how how you’ll end up seeing him throughout his entire career.

1 hour ago, dyst said:

I have to agree with @GOATFrerotte a bit in that statistically, Chase has not lived up to the expectations that were unanimously praised upon him. 

That doesn’t mean he is not having an impact on the game, or that he is playing terribly. But one can say he is playing well while still expecting more from him.

Him being a rookie is why this isn’t alarming to me, but I don’t buy the “teams are game-planning against him” idea simply because teams game-plan against Darnold, Watt,, Mack, Miller etc and those guy still manage. That is what we want out of Chase.

You used the word unanimously incorrectly.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

So if you take...chase young out and put nick bosa in....with a groin injury...and expect same performance last year with this group?

If somebody can...can yall post the amount of pressures/sacks the sf d line had last year st this time compared to our players

Without even looking at that, and with all due respect to Allen/Payne who are very good, they're not as good (at present time) as Buckner and Armstead. 

3 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

Without even looking at that, and with all due respect to Allen/Payne who are very good, they're not as good (at present time) as Buckner and Armstead. 

I know. But it makes the comparison chase young to blsa much duller....as its 2 whole different levels 

... coupled in with san frans offense that had its way with seemingly almost every opponent...the d line was able to pin their ears back. We always down 17 pts

Edited by 757SeanTaylor21

1 minute ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

I know. But it makes the comparison chase young to blsa much duller....as its 2 whole different levels 

100%. Very little of the belly aching about him in this thread is founded in any kind of logic. Like so many rookie edge rushers he needs to sharpen up the second phase of his rushes because shockingly enough NFL tackles open their hips and get in their pass pro sets quicker. That's not even to say he's not getting pressures as even with that he's blowing by tackles on the first phase of his rushes. The idea that he should already be polished at figuring out how to defeat double teams in the NFL is full on standup comedy. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Again, I think you’re confusing hopeful with reasonable. To expect anyone to be the best of all time even as a rookie is an unfair expectation and will probably influence how how you’ll end up seeing him throughout his entire career.

I've pulled out and let others take my argument, several clearly see it the same way as I do.

But this is what I'm talking about with regard to this board. None of these posters are claiming Chase be the "best of all time even as a rookie", they said nothing even remotely close to that.  

58 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

You keep saying ridiculous things. No one is saying anything like that. But why exactly is it unreasonable to expect him to have one of the better rookie seasons of all time? Especially after what we saw from the #2 pick last year. Not gonna lie it’s a little disappointing that we’re listing off 50 excuses about why he’s not producing instead of pointing to actual production.

Look at the entirety of san frans d line last year compared to ours with a number 2 pass rusher injured.  Almost everyone included figured that bosa would have the more immediate impact as he was such a great technician but not as high as potential as young since young waa way more explosive. Once young matches the healthy explosiveness with the bosa hand techniques he will be dominant. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

You keep saying ridiculous things. No one is saying anything like that. But why exactly is it unreasonable to expect him to have one of the better rookie seasons of all time? Especially after what we saw from the #2 pick last year. Not gonna lie it’s a little disappointing that we’re listing off 50 excuses about why he’s not producing instead of pointing to actual production.

Excuses are different than reasons. Just to be clear. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

100%. Very little of the belly aching about him in this thread is founded in any kind of logic. Like so many rookie edge rushers he needs to sharpen up the second phase of his rushes because shockingly enough NFL tackles open their hips and get in their pass pro sets quicker. That's not even to say he's not getting pressures as even with that he's blowing by tackles on the first phase of his rushes. The idea that he should already be polished at figuring out how to defeat double teams in the NFL is full on standup comedy. 

I’m pretty sure Bosa was 4th in the league last year at beating double teams. There’s just no way around it, Bosa was an absolute stud as a rookie and we just have to hope Chase learns and doesn’t end up like a Clowney.

4 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

I’m pretty sure Bosa was 4th in the league last year at beating double teams. There’s just no way around it, Bosa was an absolute stud as a rookie and we just have to hope Chase learns and doesn’t end up like a Clowney.

Bosa had a 21% win rate vs double teams his rookie season. I couldn't find Chase Young's win rate vs double teams or the rate at which he's double teamed in comparison to Bosa during his rookie season. You don't have the necessary data to make any proclamations. 

42 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I've pulled out and let others take my argument, several clearly see it the same way as I do.

But this is what I'm talking about with regard to this board. None of these posters are claiming Chase be the "best of all time even as a rookie", they said nothing even remotely close to that.  

“Is it not reasonable to expect him to be one of the better rookie D ends of all time like the #2 pick from last year?“

I’m sorry. I guess I misinterpreted the “of all time” part of the “reasonable to be one of the better rookie D ends of all time” portion of his post.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

Bosa had a 21% win rate vs double teams his rookie season. I couldn't find Chase Young's win rate vs double teams or the rate at which he's double teamed in comparison to Bosa during his rookie season. You don't have the necessary data to make any proclamations. 

You said it’s not logical to expect a rookie to have technique to beat double teams and I just mentioned that there was a rookie last year who was one of the better ends in the league at beating them. No matter what data you look at Bosa was one of the best d ends in the league last year, not even just comparing him to rookies. And Chase was actually touted as being a better prospect than Nick. I was just hoping for a little competition with Nick and it’s not even close. There is nothing you can compare the two with.

1 hour ago, GOATFrerotte said:

You said it’s not logical to expect a rookie to have technique to beat double teams and I just mentioned that there was a rookie last year who was one of the better ends in the league at beating them. No matter what data you look at Bosa was one of the best d ends in the league last year, not even just comparing him to rookies. And Chase was actually touted as being a better prospect than Nick. I was just hoping for a little competition with Nick and it’s not even close. There is nothing you can compare the two with.

You still don't know at which rate Chase Young has been double teamed as opposed to Bosa, but either way Chase Young has played 9 games in the NFL so I'm not going go into panic mode about him long term just because he has some stuff to work on. He's a much more polished run defender than Bosa btw but that's not cause for mass hysteria so why talk about that. 

On 11/23/2020 at 4:42 PM, KDawg said:

It's repetitive. It's been talked about. 

The groin injury is an issue that doesn't improve without a long rest period. Our guy @TheShredderhas talked about it here. It's basically an injury that doesn't improve without surgery or a long rest. A few week rest time isn't going to do much. 

Playing on it would be fine as long as he can handle the discomfort. The alternate is we put Young on ice for the remainder of his rookie season and he obviously wants no part of that.

There is an assumption that Kerrigan is benefitting from a reduce workload, absolutely. 

Last year he played 642 snaps and had 5.5 sacks.

So far this season he's played 238 snaps and has 5.5 sacks. 

His best sack season was 2014 with 13.5. In that season he played 978 snaps.  That's 1 sack every 72 snaps. 

This season he's averaging a sack every 43 snaps. 

For what it's worth, here's his career sacks per snap:

2011: No snap count available.

2012: 1065 snaps, 8.5 sacks = 1 sack every 125 snaps

2013: 974 snaps, 8.5 sacks = 1 sack every 114 snaps

2014: 978 snaps, 13.5 sacks = 1 sack every 72 snaps

2015: 889 snaps, 9.5 sacks = 1 sack every 93 snaps

2016: 786 snaps, 11 sacks = 1 sack every 71 snaps

2017: 820 snaps, 13 sacks =  1 sack every 63 snaps

2018: 819 snaps, 13 sacks = 1 sack every 63 snaps

2019: 642 snaps, 5.5 sacks =  1 sack every 116 snaps

2020: 238 snaps, 5.5 sacks = 1 sack every 43 snaps

So far, his best production from a per snap basis is this season.

It is logical, in my opinion, to assume the fresh factor has something to do with it. Sweat and Young beat up on the tackles and Kerrigan comes in fresh as a daisy and okie dokes the OL and gets to the quarterback. That kind of rest from a Edge guy in general would very likely increase their overall explosiveness regardless. Now factor in Kerrigan's age as a pass rusher and it's not a far fetched conclusion that his fatigue being lower has led to a very positive boost in his production.

On 11/23/2020 at 4:42 PM, KDawg said:

Let's take a look back when season ends and see what we have.....fair?

Kerrigan rookie year 2011.
GP TOT SOLO AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG TD LNG PD STF STFYDS KB
16 63 41 22 7.5 4 0 0 1 9 9.0 1 9 4 4 12